Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 7:06:14 PM EDT
I'm going to get one of these things but can't decide which way to go.

Cabelas has a $339 commercial unit on sale for $229. Any one using one..

Other recommendations?

ETA: I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want junk either
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Cabelas commercial unit. I went through two of the Foodsavers and as I do a lot of fish, I think they just couldn't handle it. The Cabelas unit has been great other than I had to get a replacement vacuum sensor. But the company that makes them have all the parts and they should last a long time. I've had mine about 3 years or more.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I got mine from WalMart.  It's about eight years old now.  I chose mine based off reviews of the different models online.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for comments.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
We have been using the one from Cabelas for several years now and it has been very good.  We package meat from moose, caribou and bison each year.  We also package a fair amount of product from the garden.  We have not had any issues with it, and would get another one, with out even thinking about it!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the Cabelas Commercial unit for Christmas a couple years ago, love it.  Only thing I don't like is it won't run off 12V, but that's why they make inverters.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with something besides Foodsaver. I've had mine for about eight years, it gets used in November every year. So eight hunting seasons. Doesn't work nearly as good now as it did new. I've packed around 250 lbs of meat with it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Foodsaver. If it shits the bed, I'm buying something like the cabelas model
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a foodsaver from bass pro. It is going on 15 years old and still works just fine. I go through about 2 rolls of food saver bags a year. I've gone through 5 rolls this year. I think mine was under $100 new.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a foodsaver and have gone through at least 200-300 rolls of bag. No problems so far after 6 years.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Got  a Kenmore, lasted for a year.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up a foodsaver at Costco last week for $110, so far so good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Go commercial used...We bought   2 older DZ-500's  for 5 bills.. figured one would be parts.. ended up with a couple gasket kits and a little stainless welding/grinding over the course of a few nights to make both of them like brand new..so now we have 2 commercial  packers that make any sealing job a breeze... this is the worse one...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Had our foodsaver for 3 years now and use it every 6 weeks or so.
Amazing tool but the rolls are pricey even from Costco.

If it breaks down I'll pick up another.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I used one of the mid grade Cabelas models the past two years, it never really worked very good and shit the bed this week while I was processing a deer. I want a commercial grade model since I butcher my own meat but I just don't have the money right now. I got one of the FoodSaver models and so far it works way better than my old one ever did.

Weston supposedly makes some good stuff, probably who builds them for Cabelas.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]

$99 Vacuum Sealer , Snorkel unit so it does not require any special bags.  Have had ours for 5y or so and it is still going strong.  We use it to vacuum seal normal store type packaging without issue.

They sell a large selection of bags, pouches and Mylar bags for a good price.  Also sell bags for foodsaver type units.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a couple of cases of the generic rolls online and didn't have good results.  About 20% failure rate over 6 months of dry storage.

Use name brand bags for near perfect results.

Most of the machine failures on the home vacuum sealer units are from clogged ports/  You get this from vacuum sealing wet items. Keep the machine clean and hit the seal button when you see the liquid get almost to the heat bar and you will get better results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top