Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2015 9:51:09 AM EDT
My wife wants a camera for Christmas, she has been wanting to get into photography for a few years and I'd like to get her a camera this year. What is the best value for a DSLR camera? I'm not looking to go crazy, it doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles in a package (that will give me something to fall back on for b-day, Christmas, and other holiday presents)

So GD what is the best brand, model, etc for the $$$? I'm looking to spend $300-$500 range.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Tier 1 I am not.

I bought my wife the Canon T3i a couple Christmas seasons ago with some accessories and a couple lenses.

Takes much better pictures that I would have thought possible.  So in my limited experience, but whatever consumer grade Canon DSLR is 'in' this season.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer Nikon over Canon for several reasons. The controls and menus feel more intuitive. Also, the used Nikon lens market is a bit better if she wants any specialty lenses like a macro, because Nikon hasn't changed their mount in decades. Look at whatever the current D3x00  or D5x00 is (3300 and 5500 I think)
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
My advice with cameras like this is buy a good used one. People are constantly dumping their camera bodies to get the latest generation, and there's nothing wrong with them. You can get high end equipment for entry level price. If you buy online buy from someone with high feedback ratings/post counts of course.

Buying used, you get good gear and you're not out much money if the recipient decides the hobby's not for them. I still use a canon 20D at times, there's better bodies with more options out there, but you can get a good one for under $200 and it will take better pictures than 90%+ of users.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
for that price range she will be happy with an sx60 canon

its not a "dlsr" but it takes fine images and has an awesome zoom lens

it's 100 bucks off right now at bb

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome deal on Pentax K-S1 at Samy's right now.  Camera 18-55mm and lens for $179 after $100 mail in rebate.  This little beast will take any Pentax lens and has a 20 megapixel sensor.

http://www.samys.com/p/Digital-SLRS/06424/K-S1-DSLR-Camera-with-18-55mm-Lens-Black/158308.html
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Does she basically just want detachable lenses?  The term DSLR has come to stand for this feature, but there is new technology out there which is still relatively young, but it's the future.

It calls itself "mirrorless" and distinguishes itself from DSLRs in a number of ways while still providing detachable lenses.

If all else fails, I'd suggest a Canon DSLR, but look into the whole mirrorless thing, and determine if you want to go that route.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Canon is having deals on factory refurb'ed units right now. Does she get into or understand the more technical nature of photography or does she just want to turn the camera on and hit the shutter button.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, photographer here....

That price range is hard to work with, so your pickings will be slim.  Canon vs Nikon, flip a coin, it doesn't matter.  People will say glass is all that matters, while that's true, you also don't want a completely crippled body that will make learning more difficult.  Both Nikon and Canon have a ton of bodies out there; I'm familiar with Nikon so that's where my advice will head.  I'd look for a used D7000 (or D90), a 50/1.8 lens, and a cheapy kit lens of your choice.  If you decide to go Canon, my lens choice would stay the same.

Avoid ebay like the plague until you learn who the reputable dealers are, until then...
http://usedphotopro.com/
https://www.keh.com/
http://www.adorama.com/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Canon is having deals on factory refurb'ed units right now. Does she get into or understand the more technical nature of photography or does she just want to turn the camera on and hit the shutter button.
View Quote

She would like to get into some photography classes and learn more about it, she is interested in making a hobby. I took a SLR class in highschool so I have alittle bit of knowledge but nothing crazy and I can't remember half of the crap, in the classes I took we had to develop our own pictures non of the click-n-print stuff.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Canon T5i because it's what my photographer friend learned on and I was starting with a knowledge base of less than zero so she figured it would be the simplest one to show me the ropes.  If she progresses into getting serious, lenses are where you'll be investing long-term.  

I'm itching to get the 5D Mark III.  

Be forewarned----this could easily turn into something to rival BRD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's worse, much much worse, but at least it makes money
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Tier 1 I am not.

I bought my wife the Canon T3i a couple Christmas seasons ago with some accessories and a couple lenses.

Takes much better pictures that I would have thought possible.  So in my limited experience, but whatever consumer grade Canon DSLR is 'in' this season.
View Quote

AGREED!

I love my T3i.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what the OP's budget is.  I budgeted $1200.  500-600 for a Nikon D3100 and two lenses.
The rest for a few filters, 35mm f1.8 prime, decent tripod, better sling, extra battery, car charger, a couple classes and gas to get to the Oregon coast.

I started with a Nikon D3100 and still use it.  It's a great camera for noobs.
If I was buying Nikon, I'd get last years refurbished camera body and new lenses.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speak for yourself.  

I keep telling myself I shouldn't get anything else unless I earn the money to pay for it.  I'm scared to death to attempt that step though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah you'll likely be able to earn back 1.0015% of the cost of the equipment!!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#16]
found this on AMAZON, alot of people seem to be liking the D3100 Linky

I'm thinking I will be sticking with a nikon, I have bought glass (for my rifles) from them in the past and always had great luck.

ETA:  Here is a D7000 (package) as recommended from above, it's alittle out of my price range but if the package is really worth it I may be able to make it work. linky
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah you'll likely be able to earn back 1.0015% of the cost of the equipment!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pssh, weddings bring in 3-5k....so like 10%
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm thinking I will be sticking with a nikon, I have bought glass (for my rifles) from them in the past and always had great luck.
View Quote

If it's still in your price range, might be worth bumping it up to the next package with the extra lens for the versatility.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If it's still in your price range, might be worth bumping it up to the next package with the extra lens for the versatility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does  VR and NON-VR mean?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been taking pictures all over the world with my Canon T3i for years. I have a few different lenses for it, but after exhausting research I decided that the Canon T3i really gave the best bang for the buck several years ago, and honestly, the newer versions' improvements are mostly in the touchscreen interface, etc and not really in any functional component. I would still go with a T3i for an intro camera that she can use for years.

Here are a few examples of what the T3i can do. Granted, with photography like this, the information captured by the camera is only half of the final image. Post-processing (or editing) is just as important as setting the shot up. DSLRs, because of their much larger sensors, simply capture more data, so you have more information to work with when editing. This is also why you shoot in RAW format (retains all info for later instead of chucking everything it doesn't think is important).

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Another good place to buy used:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Also, when she starts looking for other lenses, she can try them out before buying:
https://www.lensrentals.com/
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vibration Reduction.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Image Stabilization.  It's built into some lenses to help reduce shake in the image at shutter speeds under 1/250 of a second.

It really helps at shutter speeds under 1/60 of a second.  Above 1/250 I turn it off.
My three zooms have it.  I wouldn't have a zoom without VR.
My prime lens doesn't have VR.  I rarely get under 1/100 second with the prime so it isn't an issue.

FWIW, I'm saving to upgrade to a better camera.
D7100 Refurb

The OP might want to consider a refurb from Adorama, B&H or KEH.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#24]
D3300 with a couple lenses was on Costco's website for about $750,  Nikon lenses.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Buy a Nikon 5500 and she'll be more than happy.  Better yet, find a used one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Buy a Nikon 5500 and she'll be more than happy.  Better yet, find a used one.
View Quote

Adorama D5500 refurb.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD5500BKR.html
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm a canon kinda guy. But there are obviously good models in your price range by both canon and nikon.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#28]
The 35mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens on any of Nikon's DX body cameras like the 3000 or 5000 series.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The 35mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens on any of Nikon's DX body cameras like the 3000 or 5000 series.
View Quote

I ditched the kit lens for the 35mm f1.8.   Makes my lowly D3100 take pictures almost like a real camera.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Nikon D3300 or D5500 with either kit lenses or the 35mm f/1.8G prime will serve her well. The D3300 would probably be the best fit for your budget and can be had with two lenses for $500 or one lens for $400 on any of the big photo sites through January.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife has an older model Canon Rebel and is getting further and further into the hobby.  I am planning on picking up either a lightly used 5D MKII or a 6D.  I have the 6D issued for work and its a pretty badass camera.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
for that price range she will be happy with an sx60 canon

its not a "dlsr" but it takes fine images and has an awesome zoom lens

it's 100 bucks off right now at bb

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-powershot-sx60-hs-16-1-megapixel-digital-camera-black/8595011.p?id=1219351804487&skuId=8595011&ref=30&loc=KW-4326&ksid=d4314f24-fd82-4b28-b1a2-b15967aac87c&ksprof_id=14&ksaffcode=544151&ksdevice=t

View Quote

That's a nice Point and Shoot camera. I got one NIB for $340.00.  It's a nice camera to toss in the Truck. It does have impressive zoom 1135mm @35mm standards I believe.
But different cameras for different applications.
I also have a D3300. Picked that up at Walmart. Closeout with the 18-55 VR11 lens kit for $250.00 + tax. Just too good of a deal to pass up.
Don't use that lens on it. Use the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 on it.
I also own a D7100, with a different Nikon zoom.
I've had a D60, for ages. But it just sits. They aren't worth shit. But it wasn't a bad camera at the time ans something to learn on.
Never felt the need to go FF.

I was messing with 35mm cameras in the 70's. So the basics of shutter speed, aperture opening, Iso settings weren't new.

Cameras and lenses are kind of like weapons. Buy once cry once.

Like I said different cameras for different purposes Bodies are cheap. Good glass isn't.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

She would like to get into some photography classes and learn more about it, she is interested in making a hobby. I took a SLR class in highschool so I have alittle bit of knowledge but nothing crazy and I can't remember half of the crap, in the classes I took we had to develop our own pictures non of the click-n-print stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are PLENTY of free, online videos that will teach you all you need to know about composition, exposure, f-stops, lighting, etc. If you're going to buy your wife a dSLR, get one that can go fully manual. Spend a little more to get camera that will grow with her but if she won't get into the more technical side, just get her a higher-end point and shoot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I played around with my D3100's settings and was shooting full manual in about a week or so.
The only auto setting I use is the auto ISO.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I played around with my D3100's settings and was shooting full manual in about a week or so.
View Quote

My default outside of manual is aperture priority.  I like taking photos of pretty things that aren't moving.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#36]
They had some really good deals on T5I packages recently.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They had some really good deals on T5I packages recently.
View Quote

It's because Canon is releasing a upgraded version of the T6i called the T6s which is a big jump in price due to the new sensor.

You can get a T5i package for $400.  Make sure you get a T5i instead of T5 (T2i thru T6i) due to the video abilities.  You can make some great film footage with these.  I use them for my film classes.  They hold up well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My default outside of manual is aperture priority.  I like taking photos of pretty things that aren't moving.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too, works great for large, slow flying birds like eagles. Started playing with manual this year, not good with that yet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Awww, the digital  stuff is just a passing fad.
  Get ya a real MAN's  mechanical shutter FILM camera.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Awww, the digital  stuff is just a passing fad.   Get ya a real MAN's  mechanical shutter FILM camera.

View Quote

get multi of both!

CB collection by Chris Barzyz, on Flickr

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for making me make a decent decision on the purchase of a camera for my high school aged kid.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Sony alpha a6000 mirrorless I just bought one and its awesome
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Slickdeals.net always has camera deals......and other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Used 5dmkII with some nice primes, or used D700 with some nice primes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#46]
If she doesn't take good pictures with her phone, a DSLR won't be much better.

If she already has photography experience and CAN take good pics with her phone or other camera, then it might be a good choice.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#47]
If you want to go into recording video with a DSLR, avoid the Nikon as it has limitations and would require a lot of training to overcome those limitations.  If not, then Nikon is a good brand for photographs.  I own a Nikon D7100 and had other ones in the past.

Mirrorless cameras are all the in-thing now.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Sony makes the best sensors, Nikon DSLRs us Sony sensors...and they actually get more out of them than Sony does, besides the newest A7rII or whatever it is. I use a D810 for work, it's phenomenal (especially with the 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200/2.8)
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

If you want to go into recording video with a DSLR, avoid the Nikon as it has limitations and would require a lot of training to overcome those limitations.  If not, then Nikon is a good brand for photographs.  I own a Nikon D7100 and had other ones in the past.

Mirrorless cameras are all the in-thing now.

View Quote
Ehh, not for me...

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm late to this party... but at the upper end of your price range, and if you do not have any prior lenses from other manufacturers...  This is what I would get hands down.

Nikon D3300 w/ Lenses at BHphotovideo.com

Nikon D3300 vs Canon T5i
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top