Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2015 10:50:23 PM EDT
I switched from a Verizon monthly account to a prepaid several years ago because it was a bit cheaper. No complaints, but I'm not a phone savvy guy. I talk on it, check the weather occasionally and probably send a text message 4-5 times a week. Only rarely surf the web because this thing is too slow.

Now I need a smart phone that can use one of those cubes for credit cards so that people can buy stuff I make.

Would either of these phones be decent or is signing up for a contract a better bargain when using a smart phone? Keep in mind my usage will be low. Suggestions?

HTC phone

Samsung phone
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I used Virgin Mobile for a year and they were pretty good. I can't vouch for your area but here in NE MO it worked ry well for $55 a month and unlimited everything. They support all the big phones.

ETA: Link  You can do it online or at Walmart.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used Virgin Mobile for a year and they were pretty good. I can't vouch for your area but here in NE MO it worked ry well for $55 a month and unlimited everything. They support all the big phones.

ETA: Link  You can do it online or at Walmart.
View Quote

I know a guy with a Virgin Mobile phone and he claims it's worthless where we're at. I think I'd rather stay with Verizon if possible. I might entertain T-Mobile however.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF guys? One reply???

It's cyber Monday and I need to make a decision.

Alright how about this Motorola Moto G?

Motorola
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Straight talk at Walmart is part of Tracfone, uses ATT and sometimes Verizon, $45 a month for totally unlimited.  We use it with an Iphone 5s we own outright.  Perfect coverage at home (uses out wifi network) on the road and in FL where we spend a lot of time. Very happy
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#5]
That MotoG you posted won't work on Verizon or Virgin.
Tmo can be a crap shoot depending on where you live.
Get on their websites and look at their coverage area
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a Nexus 5X, they are all factory unlocked and will work on any carrier on the planet, they have an antenna for every service including CDMA and GSM. They were on sale for 300 on B&H photography on Friday, may find a similar deal today. It just came out last month so as far as updated specs its brand new. Should last you a  good long while. It is also one of the only phones on the market who uses Googles homegrown cell service called Project Fi, 30 bucks a month for unlimited everything including one gig of data, and 1 dollar per additional 100mb of data They will refund for unused data. It runs on t mobile and sprint's network and has been flawless for me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd get the 3rd gen MotoG 16 gig from Amazon. About $200, and use it on Cricket Wireless.

The 16 gig model has 2 gig of ram the 8 gig has only one.

Looks like its $220 now.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get a moto e 4g for 40 bux I think at Walmart or from Verizon's website. It will do everything you want and then some. Keep in mind that regardless of usage it will cost you 45$ a month for Verizon's basic prepaid smartphone plan.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a Nexus 5X, they are all factory unlocked and will work on any carrier on the planet, they have an antenna for every service including CDMA and GSM. They were on sale for 300 on B&H photography on Friday, may find a similar deal today. It just came out last month so as far as updated specs its brand new. Should last you a  good long while. It is also one of the only phones on the market who uses Googles homegrown cell service called Project Fi, 30 bucks a month for unlimited everything including one gig of data, and 1 dollar per additional 100mb of data They will refund for unused data. It runs on t mobile and sprint's network and has been flawless for me.
View Quote

The phone looks nice, but expensive as hell. The cheapest I can find it is $299 @ Best Buy.

The Project FI thing sounds interesting. So you're only paying $30 a month and aren't billed by anyone else for this service? Coverage is really shitty though if I'm reading this map right. White means zero coverage correct? Is that just for internet connection or phone coverage as well? That's crazy! I know I've used my Verizon phone at the coast. Why wouldn't this phone connect to Verizon?

Project FI coverage
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can get a moto e 4g for 40 bux I think at Walmart or from Verizon's website. It will do everything you want and then some. Keep in mind that regardless of usage it will cost you 45$ a month for Verizon's basic prepaid smartphone plan.
View Quote

I'll check that deal out. That's what I'm paying currently through Verizon. Is it cheaper to go with a contract plan now days?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The phone looks nice, but expensive as hell. The cheapest I can find it is $299 @ Best Buy.

The Project FI thing sounds interesting. So you're only paying $30 a month and aren't billed by anyone else for this service? Coverage is really shitty though if I'm reading this map right. White means zero coverage correct? Is that just for internet connection or phone coverage as well? That's crazy! I know I've used my Verizon phone at the coast. Why wouldn't this phone connect to Verizon?

Project FI coverage
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Project FI coverage

Yeah that coverage map does look bland for NC , but you are correct you only pay 30 and no other bills. You could check out sprint and or tmobile to check their coverage for those areas, if it works for either of those networks then you are good to go because that is the network they use. And the phone will work on verizon, I bought it because it gives me flexibility to jump to whatever carrier I want to use, most other phones are either CDMA or GSM which severely restricts carrier movement IMO. For a single line (no family plan etc) prepaid is BY FAR the cheapest route to go. The only difference is you pay at the beginning of the month versus the end and you dont have a contract. If you really want to use verizon check out Straight Talk at walmart and get a CDMA sim card, they use Verizons network and its a good deal, although I despise straight talk. Cricket uses ATT which is far better IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Straight Talk Wireless on an unlocked AT&T phone is the prepaid master race.  There is literally no reason to spend more on cell service unless you travel internationally.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Straight talk at Walmart is part of Tracfone, uses ATT and sometimes Verizon, $45 a month for totally unlimited.  We use it with an Iphone 5s we own outright.  Perfect coverage at home (uses out wifi network) on the road and in FL where we spend a lot of time. Very happy
View Quote

I've been using Straight Talk for several years now and its great. $45 per month for unlimited talk and text and 5gb data and has great coverage and signal in most places.

And I'm typing this on my $60 Samsung Galaxy which is also great.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've been using Straight Talk for several years now and its great. $45 per month for unlimited talk and text and 5gb data and has great coverage and signal in most places.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a problem with straight talk throttling my data, id have 5gb and theyd start throttling data whenever they felt like it, I never used more than 3gb a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top