Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2015 8:08:59 PM EDT
Brown wing tips with black dress pants? The more important thing is that the shoes match the belt, correct?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Correct.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been seeing more and more businessmen wear brown
wing tips with black or blue suits; myself included.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the closer to burgundy the better though.  If they are BROWN brown, then it can look a little tacky IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Lose the black dress pants, unless you are a waiter. Lose the black suit unless you are a priest.

Black trousers only belong with your formal wear (tuxedo). Black shoes go with the tux.

Acquire some odd dress trousers in charcoal gray and medium gray. Wear them with white or light blue dress shirts, and brown, burgundy, or black shoes.
The charcoal and medium-to-light gray trouser is the ultimate in versatility, and pairs with the navy blazer, a brown tweed jacket, a tan jacket, a sweater, no jacket...

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been seeing more and more businessmen wear brown
wing tips with black or blue suits; myself included.
View Quote

I can see brown or burgundy shoes with a navy, a light gray or medium gray suit. IMO, black suits are for funerals or strict business occasions. They aren't very flexible.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
And yes, match your belt and shoe leather color.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lose the black dress pants, unless you are a waiter. Lose the black suit unless you are a priest.

Black trousers only belong with your formal wear (tuxedo). Black shoes go with the tux.

Acquire some odd dress trousers in charcoal gray and medium gray. Wear them with white or light blue dress shirts, and brown, burgundy, or black shoes.
The charcoal and medium-to-light gray trouser is the ultimate in versatility, and pairs with the navy blazer, a brown tweed jacket, a tan jacket, a sweater, no jacket...

View Quote

Good point....most things are shades of grey these days (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
No.

You should not be wearing black pants unless for a formal event requiring a tux or for a funeral.  

Now, brown shoes with a navy or grey suit is perfectly acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
No, black shoes with black pants.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Dark brown is gtg with black pants but navy is better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dark brown is gtg with black pants but navy is better.
View Quote

Just say No! It looks terrible...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Only if they are Timberland.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd ask the wife if I were you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#14]
You could pull it off, if the shirt isn't black also. Normally black shoes, sox and trousers. Brown can also be worn with grey or navy.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#15]
DP.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#16]
You should post this in our ball shaving and cologne forum for more better responses.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Whats so wrong with a black suit for something other than formal or funeral? I think a black suit is sharp looking.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Do you even Steve McQueen, bro?

They may be charcoal pant, not sure.  But it's close!

(I personally wouldn't do brown wingtips with black pants.  Closest I get is Oxblood with Dark Grey.  With Black I wear Black.)
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Whats so wrong with a black suit for something other than formal or funeral? I think a black suit is sharp looking.
View Quote

Nothing really.  Some people think it looks too austere I guess.  That said I hardly ever wear my black suit.  I like charcoal, navy, and gray over black for almost everything business related and for most social occasions that I wear suits.

To answer OP's question, I personally don't like the look of brown and black together but different strokes.  Depends on what or where you are wearing it to.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It looks too harsh in person.  I think when people see businessmen and politicians on television and see them wearing sharp looking dark suits, they assume they're black.  They're usually dark navy or dark charcoal and its the lighting of the cameras that make them look black.

To me personally, black suits have always looked slightly off.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, you 're a fashion badass motherfucker. Is a tan sport jacket with the elbow patch thingies still in fashion? To me they look out of date. Serious question, BTW
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I think the closer to burgundy the better though.  If they are BROWN brown, then it can look a little tacky IMHO.
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Damn, you 're a fashion badass motherfucker. Is a tan sport jacket with the elbow patch thingies still in fashion? To me they look out of date. Serious question, BTW
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just bought a tan corduroy blazer with elbow patches.  For real.  I call it my Jesse Stone jacket.  Really does go well with jeans though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#24]
When you absolutely, positively have to kill everyone in sight - black suit, black shirt and tie, black shoes.  At least that is John Wick's favorite ensemble for taking care of business.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Black dress pants are not acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When you absolutely, positively have to kill everyone in sight - black suit, black shirt and tie, black shoes.  At least that is John Wick's favorite ensemble for taking care of business.
View Quote

Black hides the blood...  seriously
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Does a snake have knee caps?

Shoes must match the pants and the belt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No, black shoes with black pants.
View Quote

This.  Black pants don't mix well with brown belts or shoes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know much about trends or fashion but brown shoes with black pants looks retarded.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I do brown with blue and grey but not black.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you fashion police

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Totally unacceptable.

Shoes and belt should be black or burgandy with any dark colored pants ( black, navy, grey, etc.)

Brown shoes and belts should only be worn with lighter color pants such as khaki, white, etc.

The only exception is blue jeans, which can be worn with brown shoes, preferably work boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top