Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are suggesting that the extremely brief contact of the gel with the projectile transfers enough thermal energy from the projectile to ignite the gel in a delayed manner...

If that were the case, why don't these same projectiles ignite thin paper targets? Furthermore, why don't gasoline fumes ignite when projectiles pass through them (they don't, for the record. A spark from impact is required)?

Thermal energy takes time to directly transfer via contact. Kinetic energy transfers very quickly and can cause increases in temperature through several mechanisms. The latter is quite obviously what is causing this.
Yes.  It's an extremely hot piece of metal sliding through vaporized material.    

Paper targets are not vaporized.

The ignition temp of gasoline is 495F, my theory is that the ignition temp of whatever they add to that clear gel that burns, is lower.

*Sigh*

As mentioned, the ignition of that "vaporized material" isn't happening until long after the projectile has exited the block. You're simply wrong.

Please learn about thermal energy, the conduction and transfer thereof. It does not allow what you suggest to occur. Thermal energy transfer is a function of time. What you suggest simple does not work with actual physics.

What are you laughing at.  E2ss posted a video that makes it apparent what is happening.   Not much different then a fire piston.   A flammable substance is heated by extremely rapid pressure rise and burns creating a second and third cavity.  The bullet has exited the gel completely and could not have ignited the second and third explosions seen in the collapsing cavity.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It's nothing more than childish special effects. The videos are harping on the TC contortions in agonizing and pointless detail.  I couldn't even finish the first video, and I have an attention span that would allow me to watch a feature length film about grass growing.

The only thing that really matters is integrating the total crack lengths of the stationary block and then comparing that to the volume of the visible permanent cavity.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The bullet along with the rapid expansion of the gell caused vaporization within the cavity. Once the cavity rapidly contracted and the pressure inside rapidly increased the vaporized gases ignited.

Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But pending the TR1985 and 10mm_ inquiry, we don't know if there is heat present.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever seen an explosion in a grain silo?

Drywall dust = grain dust in this case.

Gypsum isn't flammable.

ALL micro-fine dust can ignite in the presence of oxygen and heat.

But pending the TR1985 and 10mm_ inquiry, we don't know if there is heat present.

Lucky for you we have a fire protection engineer in the house.

Gypsum is non-flammable, even if you grind it 00 fine.  It's CaSO4.  It will not oxidize under atmospheric conditions.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gypsum is non-flammable, even if you grind it 00 fine.  It's CaSO4.  It will not oxidize under atmospheric conditions.
View Quote

Yeah, but can jet fuel melt steel beams?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gypsum isn't flammable.

Ah.....NO.  Not all micro fine dust can ignite in the presence of oxygen and heat.  A dust may ignite if the particles are 500 micron or smaller, depending on partical shape, size, composition, air mixing, and ambiant heat or energy input.   Drywall will not burn. It is used as a fire retardant.  It releases water when heated, slowing the heat transfer, and the powder left behind is calcium sulfate...which does not burn.

Fine limestone dust is spread in coal mines to prevent and mitigate coal dust explosions.  

The dust material has to be combustible before it could even be a threat of explosive.

I'm voting for the dieseling theory.  The polymer clear blocks are releasing a fine powder or gas along with trace amounts of carbon, gunpowder.. that are compressed when the temporary cavity collapses
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Melt?

No.

Induce thermal stress within load-bearing members leading to fatigue over a period of time?

Yes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I noticed that in one of your tests, and especially in the handgun effectiveness tests and never really figured out what's going on.

It might be possible to analyze the flash spectrally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see that when I gel test.  That clear gel will burn. I think the bullet is so hot, plus probably the friction of it sliding in, it heats up the gel and when the TSC happens there's just enough of a ratio of heat/air/fuel in their for a small burn.

I noticed that in one of your tests, and especially in the handgun effectiveness tests and never really figured out what's going on.

It might be possible to analyze the flash spectrally.
I'm supposed to have super slow motion (~50,000 fps) of an M855A1 round going into clear gel very soon, maybe there will be something in that that can shed some more light.

I agree with the posters above that the fact that it seems to burn when the gel contracts means that the compression is playing a part.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gypsum isn't flammable.

I'm guessing here, but doesn't a bullet ripping through a semi-solid medium at 2300 fps generate a fair bit of heat through friction - if only for a fraction of a millisecond?

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gypsum isn't flammable.

But what if it was Chinese Drywall, which has Hydrogen Sulfide in it, which is flammable?
Really, though, I stand corrected.  I looked up the OSHA chart, and gypsum is not mentioned.
Vitamin C, however, is...

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top