User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Crime statistics plotted geographically can be seen here -  Crime Mapping

You can sort/filter by crime  type (murder, in this case), range of dates, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would love to see a simple correlation graph.  I think we'd reach statistical significance.

Crime statistics plotted geographically can be seen here -  Crime Mapping

You can sort/filter by crime  type (murder, in this case), range of dates, etc.

Here's the graph.  I'm bored tonight.

Unfortunately I forgot how to do any kind of data analysis in excel (or even label axis and points for that matter).  Percentage of black population along the x (2010 census data), murder rates along the y (from OP).  

Pretty damn convincing for it being only 2 variables compared.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Even  worse, it's mostly males.  

@6.5% committing 50%.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baltimore routinely has half the total murders in MD, with only 10% of the population of the state.

Look at SC's demographics, and realize that one particular group, while comprising 30 percent of our population, commit 74 percent of the murders. 91 percent of those murders are against other members of the same group. The group? You guessed it: Lesbians.

Kidding! LOL! It's not Lesbians. I'll let Carnac clue you in...

If you haven't noticed, one certain race that consists of 13% of the US population commits 50% of all murders in the US.

This is pretty consistent year to year if you break it down by race.
Even  worse, it's mostly males.  

@6.5% committing 50%.

How many of that 6.5% are children, elderly or currently incarcerated? Mind blown
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Andras; good info.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
They should compile this by congressional district.

It would be pretty insightful

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:35:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
California stats are impressive. Obviously gun control is really working for them.
View Quote

I do believe Florida tops California on both lists.  . Not sure of your point.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So wait a sec.... You're telling me that Texas, one of the most gun friendly states, has a lower rate of murders by firearms than California?

Cali, I am disappoint. Maybe they should pass more laws. Surely, the criminals will think they're serious when the next law passes.
View Quote

Or fewer gun control laws like South Carolina and maybe California can make a run for one of the top spots, Eh?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#7]
So much for progress.  How we are falling as a society and as a people.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Slicing by state doesnt really mean too much.

~20% of Mo's number likely come fro 1 or 2 KC zip codes.  I assume STL is similar, and that NYC skews the numbers for its state.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#9]
New Orleans and Baton Rouge both controlled by Democrats.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So much for progress.  How we are falling as a society and as a people.
View Quote

Agreed, we are failing as a people but some people are failing more than others dragging all of us down.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Based on those population numbers Wyoming is the place to be if you want to get away from it all.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:12:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Based on those population numbers Wyoming is the place to be if you want to get away from it all.
View Quote

There's population in Wyoming?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Take out New Orleans and I bet we drop into the bottom half
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one!

If Nebraska could get rid of Omaha and its 33 of 57 murders we would plummet.

Omaha:  408,000 people, 33 murders
The rest of Nebraska:  1.4 million people, 27 murders
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:05:40 AM EDT
[#14]
being from MD, I'm surprised MD isn't higher on the list, and I'm surprised TN is so high on the list (thinking about looking for a job out in TN)
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how many of these states have bogus numbers by mis-reporting a murder as an accidental death or whatever paper BS game they can play to make their shit hole look safer than it really is.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Was in Puerto Rico in the 90s for 9 months.
I believe it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:33:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're number one! We're number one! We're number one! We're number one!

In most states, the biggest cities add up to most of the murders in the state. Here in PA in 2014 for murders you have out of the top 14 largest cities:

Philly: 248 (rate of 16/100k)

Pittsburgh: 71 (rate of 23/100k)

Chester: 30 (rate of 88/100k)

Harrisburg: 18 (rate of 37/100k)

Erie: 11 (rate of 11/100k)

Allentown: 10 (rate of 8/100k)

Yes, Chester really does suck. After Allentown every other city in the state had under 10 murders, with 32 more murders combined in the other 8 in the top 14 for population. If you go to "violent crimes" then Philly takes the cake with 15,895 with Pittsburgh next at 2,226 and every other of the most populated cities under 1,000.

The county I live in had 0 murders in 2014. We're at 2 for this year that I know of, one was a domestic dispute turned homicide and the other was a crazy guy who ran someone over with his car intentionally. Both of those happened in the biggest town in the county.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
rank by % white folk, see how it matches up.

diversity kills.
View Quote

Then again, Quebec is not really homogenous and the stats I've found say we have a murder rate of 1.34 per 100k. Only one state has a lower murder rate.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's going on in Delaware?
View Quote

It's got some *very* bad areas.   Lived there until 2011.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I love that, in both, Florida really doesn't want to have to count anything, nor report anything correctly.

I'm willing to bet this state would jump up above 5th place were the FBI data on hand.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I know that if we try just a little harder, we can do it!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then again, Quebec is not really homogenous and the stats I've found say we have a murder rate of 1.34 per 100k. Only one state has a lower murder rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
rank by % white folk, see how it matches up.

diversity kills.

lulz canadian "diversity"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Canada
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#23]
would it be a fair and interesting question to add a column for racial makeup?  I guess I fear to tread here out of a concern my question will be interpreted as something it is not.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If overdoses and suicides were added separately to the list. Murder would take a back seat to both of those.
View Quote

This is true. I personally investigated four homicides as lead this year so far. I am probably at 40 or 50 ODs and suicides. This is in a large south Florida county. I think we are at 92 homicides for the year so far with a month to go!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So wait a sec.... You're telling me that Texas, one of the most gun friendly states, has a lower rate of murders by firearms than California?

Cali, I am disappoint. Maybe they should pass more laws. Surely, the criminals will think they're serious when the next law passes.
View Quote

KY, our gun laws are, umm, carry one?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
St. Louis keeps us in the top.
View Quote

Yep, and KC.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've lived on all 3 USVI and spent considerable time in PR. I felt safer in PR but the VI has some bad spots after dark. During the day most places are safe except the government housing areas, but tourists are definitely not going there. Downtown at night you need to stay in well lit areas and preferably at your hotel grounds but it's no where near as dangerous as Jamaica. I only felt threatened a few times and I was alone or in bad areas. It's hard not to laugh when people of the opposite skin color ask me if I can relate to racism. St. John is the safest and most laid back, I've rarely heard of any real crimes there but I am sure data can be found. I'd sleep on a park bench there, err pass out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you see the numbers for PR, USVI, and DC?

I've lived on all 3 USVI and spent considerable time in PR. I felt safer in PR but the VI has some bad spots after dark. During the day most places are safe except the government housing areas, but tourists are definitely not going there. Downtown at night you need to stay in well lit areas and preferably at your hotel grounds but it's no where near as dangerous as Jamaica. I only felt threatened a few times and I was alone or in bad areas. It's hard not to laugh when people of the opposite skin color ask me if I can relate to racism. St. John is the safest and most laid back, I've rarely heard of any real crimes there but I am sure data can be found. I'd sleep on a park bench there, err pass out.

My aunt and uncle lived on St. Croix for about 5yrs. They never experienced any violent crime, but their vehicles were broken into fairly often. They said it was a shithole and would never go back.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's going on in Delaware?

Meh.  It's hoodrats killing hoodrats in a couple different sections of Wilmington.  The rest of the state is pretty calm, baring a couple of streets in Dover.  2014 was just a prosperous year for the hoodrats, and I say bravo.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Slicing by state doesnt really mean too much.

~20% of Mo's number likely come fro 1 or 2 KC zip codes.  I assume STL is similar, and that NYC skews the numbers for its state.
View Quote

NYC isn't that bad compared to Rochester and Buffalo. Rochester's murder rate is 25 in 100,000 and NYC's is 6 in 100,000.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#30]
My state showing its ass to everybody.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Baltimore alone has had more murders YTD then the entire state of Maryland did last year. That drop to 15th won't last long.
View Quote

Wait, I thought B-more was in Merryland?

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's the surfers.

Shooting for the best waves.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#33]
SC represent!!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baltimore alone has had more murders YTD then the entire state of Maryland did last year. That drop to 15th won't last long.

It is, I was saying that Bmore alone has had more murders so far this year then the entire state did last year.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
St. Louis keeps us in the top.
View Quote

Just to be clear, that is ST. Louis City County, which, by Fed standards, is a separate statistical area than adjoining St. Louis County.

Murders reported on tv always start with '(pick a number) men were found shot in the (pick your previously never heard of neighborhood) of NORTH St. Louis.

The big crime spree in my area was 4 teenagers on a 2 week rampage, breaking into UNLOCKED cars in the early AM. Stole billfolds, phones, GUNS, and cars with keys left in them.

I realize the stats are by state, but these crimes are not evenly spread across the state. The majority happen in certain population areas of ST. Louis, and I assume KC.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wonder why? Let me see:

http://ow.ly/VeSkC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit, NH has fewer murders per 100k than Iceland. 12 in the whole state.

I wonder why? Let me see:

http://ow.ly/VeSkC

Stats be raycess
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Wait...the entire state of Minnesota had 82 murders?  THE ENTIRE STATE?  Wow.  That is shockingly low.

Nice job MN!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My aunt and uncle lived on St. Croix for about 5yrs. They never experienced any violent crime, but their vehicles were broken into fairly often. They said it was a shithole and would never go back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you see the numbers for PR, USVI, and DC?

St. Croix is definitely the last VI I would recommend for tourism. I lived there for 4 years, was in the eye of Hugo. Saw plenty of looting, even with cops involved. Our house got liquidated when we escaped the island, thanks to some people we entrusted. White guy actually. We had a big mean Bull Mastiff so we never had any issues with break ins but plenty of sketchy people getting way too damn close. STX is probably even worse now that the Hess/Hovensa refinery shut down. Unemployment jumped to 15% or so.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top