Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2015 1:20:10 AM EDT

Sure wacky Scott is the brand, and Dean keeps the beautiful fuzz and melody purring, but after much listening, it seems Robert may have been the actual sonic backbone in their greatest, kick ass hits.

I'm too retarded to embed vids, but feel free if you love the sonic magic these guys weaved.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sure wacky Scott is the brand, and Dean keeps the beautiful fuzz and melody purring, but after much listening, it seems Robert may have been the actual sonic backbone in their greatest, kick ass hits.

I'm too retarded to embed vids, but feel free if you love the sonic magic these guys weaved.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/littleredman888/stone-temple-pilots_zpstpiefqix.jpg

View Quote

100% correct. He's written some awesome, awesome basslines.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a "Live in Shitcago" concert (oh noes, does this offend anyone?) that they play on VH1 and Palladia now and then, and I swear, they are SPOT ON in their timing as a beautiful rock machine.  If you ever get the opportunity to catch it, please do.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
First three were decent. Haven't heard anything new.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYkkQsYUfVo

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/littleredman888/stone-temple-pilots_zpstpiefqix.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYkkQsYUfVo

No shit - it gives "Core" a whole new meaning.  Rock on.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I got to see them in a small venue back before Purple was released. Made a bet with my friend that they would open with "Crackerman" and I was right!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I got to see them in a small venue back before Purple was released. Made a bet with my friend that they would open with "Crackerman" and I was right!
View Quote
I'm an old dude, pushing 50, and when I play "Wicked Garden" in the car, watch the fuck out.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
One of my top bands. Great lyrics,  etc. Rock on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]

There's definitely something special about bands with siblings; STP, NXS, AC/DC, the Carpenters, it goes on and on and on.  

If you are a musician, you can appreciate the concept of "shared genetic timing", which is kind of a sonic morphic resonance thing (thank you for the definition, Rupert Sheldrake).

I had two dear childhood friends - brothers and knew them from Middle School - and when we got together and rocked out, the timing was just magic.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:51:48 AM EDT
[#10]
"This is a song called Plush..."  acoustical version of course - :)
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:52:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I am smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday death bed...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Their "core"album was ok after that Scott wylan or what ever his name is.fell into a Sid vicious like junky role.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Their "core"album was ok after that Scott wylan or what ever his name is.fell into a Sid vicious like junky role.....
View Quote

The bass, guitar, and drum TIMING is absolutely epic and magic, IMHO.

Anyone care to post more vid songs from that release?

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#15]
^^^^ Birthday Death Bed is also super kickass...at earbleed levels of course!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#16]
they sucked after the singer stopped doing drugs

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#17]
"Purple" is just phenomenal. I think it's one of the strongest sophomore efforts a band has ever put forth, and it may be their best album.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Song is called dead and bloated

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:06:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

That song was "Dead and Bloated".  Yea, it was raw and sonically sensual to the upmost, and perhaps only surpassed by "Wicked Garden"

If you like STP in the unadulterated raw, "Wicked Garden" is what usually makes the exhaust system on my car glow.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:09:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There's definitely something special about bands with siblings; STP, NXS, AC/DC, the Carpenters, it goes on and on and on.  

If you are a musician, you can appreciate the concept of "shared genetic timing", which is kind of a sonic morphic resonance thing (thank you for the definition, Rupert Sheldrake).

I had two dear childhood friends - brothers and knew them from Middle School - and when we got together and rocked out, the timing was just magic.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
they sucked after the singer stopped doing drugs

View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One played drums (hell, he played drums, guitar, bass, and the flute), and the other played guitar and bass.  We'd meet, in the early to mid 80s (I played guitar), and play in their basement, sometimes their garage, and sometimes in our garage. Our timing was consummate and magical, too, and that's not beer goggles memory.  I would not trade those garage rocking memories for anything. The timing they brought to the mix cannot be easily described.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:28:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep.  Been a fan for a long time.

Don't know their names, relationship or pedigree.  Nor do I care, I just like the rockin music.

Now my 14 y.o. daughter is hooked.  The two of us spent 30 hours in the car driving to the UP of Michigan and back.

We rocked out like we cannot when Mom and sister are in the car.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:37:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd put Core in my top 10 albums of the 90's list. Purple and Tiny Music were good albums, too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Uh, yeah.  Love the STP!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Robert DeLeo is one of the greatest unknown bassists of all time
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:05:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I saw them at the state fair around the time they did the acoustic show on MTV.

They did half the show acoustic, sitting on a couch, they still rocked. It was one

of my top ten favorite concerts.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely one of the best to have come out of that scene.  A lot of Jamerson-esque qualities.

I agree that the the DeLeo brothers and Kretz do an excellent job together.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:33:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Grew up listening to them. They fucking rock.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Love STP...when Weiland is on he's on.  One of the best concerts (and front men) I've ever seen was front row against the railing at a small (3-4K person) venue.  The Linkin Park dude does a "decent" impersonation of STP's former lead singer but it'll never be the same.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#32]
They're no Limp Bizkit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#33]
STP is one of the greatest bands ever.   Core,  Purple,  Tiny Music,  and Stone Temple Pilots are fucking epic records.  

Weiland is one of the great rock front men.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I liked there songs back in the day, Weilend seems like he would be a real pain to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#35]
big stp fan, saw them several times and also saw velvet revolver a few times
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Big fan. Saw them in a small venue and at rockfest in Chicago. One of my top 2 or 3 favorite bands.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Purple is by far my favorite album of all time.  Love all of the original releases.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#38]
In. Damn goo band.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They're no Limp Bizkit.
View Quote

Thank God.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Was a huge fan in the 90's still jam them about once a year
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Love STP...when Weiland is on he's on.  One of the best concerts (and front men) I've ever seen was front row against the railing at a small (3-4K person) venue.  The Linkin Park dude does a "decent" impersonation of STP's former lead singer but it'll never be the same.
View Quote

Chester Bennington from Linkin Park is reportedly no longer singing with STP. My wife and I saw STP with Bennington last year at Louder Than Life. Bennington tried but just never seemed to be able to "hit" the vocals.

Hopefully now that Weiland is out of rehab he can keep his stuff together and get back together with STP.

BK
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I love STP. I've seen them many times live and they always put on a great show. Despite Scott's... issues, he's a great front man and the band always sounds awesome. I have their stuff on vinyl, cd and DVD.

Core is one of those great debut albums, like LedZep, Aerosmith, The Doors and Pearl Jam, etc. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm an old dude, pushing 50, and when I play "Wicked Garden" in the car, watch the fuck out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, to be 50 again.  STP rocks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Breathin', is the hardest thing to do.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quintessential 90s music.  Awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm an older dude. Just turned 55. I've always been a fan. That whole 90s thing was like a gift from the gods for me after most of what came out in the 80s.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Love to listen to STP. I can play all their albums straight through and enjoy every song.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm an older dude. Just turned 55. I've always been a fan. That whole 90s thing was like a gift from the gods for me after most of what came out in the 80s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zackly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top