BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IMHO, your judgement was off that day.  He peppered your car, PEPPERED.  That's just bird shot falling down on it, no reason to take someone's life.  While the guy was clearly an inconsiderate, ignorant, range trespassing douchebag - If your life isn't in danger there is no reason to EVER point a loaded AR at someone.  If he kept shooting (skeet that is), would you have dropped him?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sand Springs Sportsmen's Club, one of  the oldest "private" gun ranges in the country. About 15 years ago:

Some goat-ass fuqqing, redneck, meth-mouth, Fudd was out there shooting (shooting at, hitting nothing) skeet with a duck gun and he was holding past the skeet houses, shooting past the foul lines and he PEPPERED my showroom restored 1968 Cougar with 2 semi-auto blasts of #8 birdshot. (Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss!)

I was standing on the rifle range when I heard the pellets bouncing off of the tin roof over the firing line and also hitting car parked nearby and I shouted to the skeet range, "HOLD YOUR FIRE! HOLD YOUR FIRE! You're hitting me and my car in the parking lot!"

Asswipe's reply: "Move your fuqqing car, asshole!" and he went right on shooting #8 birsdhshot from 100+ yards away.

This was the only time I can ever recall pointing a rifle at someone when my life didn't really depend on it
. I was holding a fully-loaded AR-15 (I guess Assclown could have stung me with birdshot...while I was unloading a 30-round mag of green tips into his rapidly cooling corpse.)

I stepped behind a big pecan tree and took aim straight at said assclown, and ordered him to drop your weapon or I'll drop your ass! . He got the hint REALLY quickly, threw his shotgun into his car and took off. I later reported the whole thing to the club board and found out he wasn't even a member at the club. He had just stolen another member's gate code and entered without a membership.

...still didn't get my car fixed. I had to have the hood repainted and paid for it myself.

IMHO, your judgement was off that day.  He peppered your car, PEPPERED.  That's just bird shot falling down on it, no reason to take someone's life.  While the guy was clearly an inconsiderate, ignorant, range trespassing douchebag - If your life isn't in danger there is no reason to EVER point a loaded AR at someone.  If he kept shooting (skeet that is), would you have dropped him?

I don't know about you, but at 100 yards I'm not able to read the markings on shotgun shells.  

If the shotgunner had kept firing, he would have been knowingly firing at another human being.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Alpine shooting range south of Fort Worth. The guy next to me, unsolicited, tells how wonderful his Kahr 9mm is, and how stupid I am for wasting my money on a Glock. The second round he tries to fire doesn't go off; he waits a second, sweeps me, and looks down the barrel. He had the gun pointed directly at his left eye. There's a part of me that wanted that thing to go off.

I packed up my stuff and left. That was 2004; the last time I went to a public range.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Theres a range out here that is a couple of miles away from where i live. On a Saturday I was there zeroing at the 50 yard range no issues and we all stop shooting to reload it there must have been five of us on the line. It was a pretty crazy coincidence that we all were reloading at the same time. Anyhow a new guy pulls up in his ACUs of course, and just waltzes down range. It was a predominantly self regulating range so there was no RSO there immediately at the moment. I shouldered my rifle and went to shoot some more after reloading and saw the retard on the other end out of my peripheral vision. I look at the guy to my right and ask did he even say anything? Guy just groans and rolls his eyes. I shot the rest of my loaded mags and promptly got the fuck out first chance I had. I ponied up the cash for the exclusive membership and only go on members only days now. I was amazed that a soldier was dumb enough to just go down range with no regard to check and see what condition everyone was in. I would have thought that at least the army guy would have range safety protocols understood.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#4]
At a public range, I watched as a guy apparently took his girlfriend shooting for the first time. She pulled the trigger on a handgun, nothing happened.

She then turned around and pointed it straight at his chest, pulling the trigger repeatedly while saying "It's not working!"

He jumped to the side and deflected the gun away. I went home.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:53:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At a public range, I watched as a guy apparently took his girlfriend shooting for the first time. She pulled the trigger on a handgun, nothing happened.

She then turned around and pointed it straight at his chest, pulling the trigger repeatedly while saying "It's not working!"

He jumped to the side and deflected the gun away. I went home.
View Quote

I don't believe in hitting women and I never have hit a woman

BUT..  Ida slapped that bitch
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Vietmeneese shrimpers screaming and unloading scoped revolvers at a 45 degree angle into the sky.

Beaumont TX. Legers shooting range.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Two words come to mind at public ranges: Brass Grabbers
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A guy died in my arms at an outdoor range in 2009 (?) so ya...
View Quote

easy with all the story specifics, I don't have time to read all that
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Local public club had a guy shoot his .357 right into the steel roof. It splattered on impact and some of the lead came back and hit him in the eye.
View Quote

so...lol?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe that's where the expression, "Only the good die young", comes from  ;-)
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend and I went to an outdoor range in central FL, a few months back. We had adjacent benches on the rifle side of the range(they have both rifle and pistol), and there were probably seven or eight other benches occupied with people shooting AK's, AR's, Mosin's, bolt-action .30-06's etc.  Even with proper hearing protection, it was pretty loud, and it was often! It was a crowd that seemed like they were all enjoying themselves, and were there to send a lots of lead down range, just as often as they could, ourselves included.

While the range was hot, the shooting was constant, and you could "feel" the sound, much like you might at a concert if you were relatively close to large speakers. As I was reloading a magazine, my friend gets my attention and points out a couple of gray squirrels, casually feeding, about 20 or 25 feet in front of the firing line! Neither one of them even flinched, AT ALL.....NOT ONCE!  Not even after the range went cold, and then hot again. They looked almost robotic. We still can't decide whether it was because they had balls of steel, or they were just stone-deaf.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
funny everybody is an expert in these threads
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

so she doesn't understand the rules, and you would resort to violence?

WTF is wrong with you?

How about, expelling the rules to both of them, because maybe they don't know, and making a bad experience better.

But no, you, billy the bad ass would slap a woman?

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

WTF is wrong with you?

How about, expelling the rules to both of them, because maybe they don't know, and making a bad experience better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is wrong with you?

She's aiming the gun at a man's chest and pulling the trigger, and you're worried about her feelings?

Lol, beta.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

She's aiming the gun at a man's chest and pulling the triger, and you're worried about her feelings?

Lol, beta.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is wrong with you?

She's aiming the gun at a man's chest and pulling the triger, and you're worried about her feelings?

Lol, beta.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

so...lol?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Local public club had a guy shoot his .357 right into the steel roof. It splattered on impact and some of the lead came back and hit him in the eye.

so...lol?
That's it. That's the story. Sucks to be him?

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so...lol?

...I agre, I was thinking.."nelson jpeg  haha"  on him
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#18]
At range with grandson and son in law in Sept. Guy  shows up with son and sons girlfriend with brand new 44 magnum dad had just bought at gun show. Dad shoot first and son leans crutches up and takes his turn. Son fired off one round and sets gun on table and quite clearly says. "I just re broke my thumb". Had been in motorcycle wreck and was not quite healed. He did not shoot it again.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Honestly, now... Did you REALLY expect to come in and read something like:

I was at the range to sight in my new deer gun and it just wouldn't shoot no matter what I did. I brought about 11 bullets my neighbor gave me, but some were too big and one just slid all the way in and out the front. The guy at the next bench kept glancing at me funny like he wanted to say something so I pointed the barrel at him and asked if he knew which one was the right one. The guy went all crazy and started screaming at me and started packing his shit up and left in a huff. Can you believe there are assholes out there like this?  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Condensed version.....My wife and I were at a unsupervised public range when 5 young men pulled up.

We were shooting WWII bolt guns and the guys took an interest in us, lots of whispers and other comments we could hear.

I think they were thinking about taking out the old folks and stealing our guns.

I went to the car, pulled out an AK, walked back to the bench, put a mag in and racked the slide.  I stood facing them (muzzle down range) and let them have a good look at the AK.

They were gone in less than a minutes.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A friend and I went to an outdoor range in central FL, a few months back. We had adjacent benches on the rifle side of the range(they have both rifle and pistol), and there were probably seven or eight other benches occupied with people shooting AK's, AR's, Mosin's, bolt-action .30-06's etc.  Even with proper hearing protection, it was pretty loud, and it was often! It was a crowd that seemed like they were all enjoying themselves, and were there to send a lots of lead down range, just as often as they could, ourselves included.

While the range was hot, the shooting was constant, and you could "feel" the sound, much like you might at a concert if you were relatively close to large speakers. As I was reloading a magazine, my friend gets my attention and points out a couple of gray squirrels, casually feeding, about 20 or 25 feet in front of the firing line! Neither one of them even flinched, AT ALL.....NOT ONCE!  Not even after the range went cold, and then hot again. They looked almost robotic. We still can't decide whether it was because they had balls of steel, or they were just stone-deaf.

View Quote

Not uncommon at a lot of ranges. Our range has this happen with deer. They will wander into the bench rest range and just stand there with guns firing no less. They have just become acclimated to it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
The safety nazism, paranoia, and general snobbery in this thread reminds me why I pay somebody to shoot on their private property.   Activities yesterday included bump firing (the old fashioned way) approx 500rnds through an AK47 and hand tossing melons to blast with a Taurus judge 000buck
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Doesn't excuse careless shooting or complacency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

#8's aren't going to do anything at 100 yards.  Take a handful of #8's, throw them in the air underhanded and stand underneath, that's about as hard as they will come down at 100 yards.

#8's with a muzzle velocity of 1165 FPS pack a whopping .66 ft./lbs of energy at 60 yards, they lose ~.10 ft./lbs every 10 yards beyond 60.

Doesn't mean you should kill over it. I've been peppered thousands of times. It's not a big deal.

Some of you people are fucking pussies.

Too bad Reagan shut down all the psych hospitals for you fuckers.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I shoot alone in the desert.

If someone is in the spot I was going to, I go to another one.

I hate when people roll up on my spot and ask to shoot next to me....

Fuck no. Go somewhere else. I am running drills with my timer, I don't know you, we aren't pals. I have no idea what your shooting experience is and I am not there to teach you if you are flagging me and all fucked up.

You can ask if I am about done and if I am I'll tell you as much or I'll tell you about the other spots all along the road.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

as soon as i seen this thread i was going to post about this exact same range.  until just recently this was the only place i had to shoot close by me.  generally i would try to leave straight from work in the morning and head there to zero a rifle, or shoot my pistols or whatever it was i felt like i needed to take my life into my own hands to go do that day.  occasionally, however, i would have to go in the afternoons, and that's when the neck beards really come out.  one day i was with a couple of guys from my guard unit and we were shooting our ars and whatnot.  i waited until everyone was done shooting, and proceeded down the line and made it clear that i was going to place my target at the 100 yd line so we could zero my new 6.5 and steiner scope.  everyone was cool and i head down range set the box out and turn back.  as i get turned around i notice my friend chewin the guy on the bench next to us ass, get back and ask what was going on.  turns out the man with his wife and son had loaded his 12 gauge pump and was getting ready to send some 00 buck into his shoot n see target at 50 yds while my back was turned.  it was at that point i packed my shit and haven't been back since.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cherokee National Forest public range in east TN. 15 years ago. As you approach the range you know your getting close because the amount of bullet holes in the road signs increases.This place was crazy. The only time there was ever more than 1 shooter was weekends or around deer season. There was a heavy steel lock box with a trust system, you put a dollar in an envelope, tore a little numbered slip off it and then dropped it into the very heavy steel and very shot up lock box. The money was supposed to be used for range upkeep. Very simple range, 3 benches, max 100 yards.

as soon as i seen this thread i was going to post about this exact same range.  until just recently this was the only place i had to shoot close by me.  generally i would try to leave straight from work in the morning and head there to zero a rifle, or shoot my pistols or whatever it was i felt like i needed to take my life into my own hands to go do that day.  occasionally, however, i would have to go in the afternoons, and that's when the neck beards really come out.  one day i was with a couple of guys from my guard unit and we were shooting our ars and whatnot.  i waited until everyone was done shooting, and proceeded down the line and made it clear that i was going to place my target at the 100 yd line so we could zero my new 6.5 and steiner scope.  everyone was cool and i head down range set the box out and turn back.  as i get turned around i notice my friend chewin the guy on the bench next to us ass, get back and ask what was going on.  turns out the man with his wife and son had loaded his 12 gauge pump and was getting ready to send some 00 buck into his shoot n see target at 50 yds while my back was turned.  it was at that point i packed my shit and haven't been back since.

I used to find shell casings all the way back where you pull into the parking lot. I think rednecks just drive in there and blast the whole range without getting out of their truck.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Some of the biggest problems I've had at private clubs has been with the guys running it.

I was accused of deliberately shooting the target backers at the outdoor 50 yard range at the Massachusetts Rifle Association. Turns out the shooting happened while I was at college in Tennessee, and they (supposedly) had some grainy videos showed a guy with a 20" AR15. One of the directors saw me shooting a 20" AR15 after graduation, and just assumed I must have been the guy who did it. Fuckers.

ETA: Different range. Members only place with 24hr access. Me and a buddy arrive, are the only ones there and start breaking clays. The shotgun range backed up to some dense woods/swamp, and after about two hours of shooting some dude walks out of the woods carrying a half dozen old unbroken clays. There were no cars parked in the area. He didn't say anything, just walked past us and down the road. I was just in shock that somebody thought wondering through a shotgun range was a smart idea.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FWIW OP never said he was going to kill the guy.  Just drop him; which could imply a variety of different shots potentially taken.  He could have been planning on shooting him in the leg or something.

I'm going to side with OP and assume that he never had a thought of outright killing the guy, but instead just "dropping" him.  I will also assume that the OP is proficient enough with his rifle that he felt confident he could make a debilitating limb shot or such (not factoring in the bleeding out factor.)
View Quote

Please sell any firearms you own.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Went to a range recently and, right in the middle of shooting, a fox ran right into the target area. The RSO immediately screamed "Cease fire!" and told everyone that anyone who shot at the fox would be banned from the range forever. I never met the RSO before, but he is good with me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

WTF is wrong with you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is wrong with you?

White Knights assemble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Went to a range recently and, right in the middle of shooting, a fox ran right into the target area. The RSO immediately screamed "Cease fire!" and told everyone that anyone who shot at the fox would be banned from the range forever. I never met the RSO before, but he is good with me.
View Quote

Had a good sized hawk land in the middle of the range and chowed down on some poor critter. Nobody said anything, except - 'look at the hawk'. The bird then flew over to a target stand at 100 yards. Again, not much said. After 5 mins. or so, the hawk just flew away......different kind of folks I guess? We get water birds, quail and bald eagles that do the same. Odd ducks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I may have done something similar with a bolt action .50 cal when didn't have a scope mount. Didn't have a bipod and may have used a gallon bucket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went to a range, I'm the only one shooting.  I brought a pistol and an AK.  While I'm shooting my pistol, a few young black dudes come in, pistol cases in hand.  Hmmm, prejudices bubble up in my mind, and then out come some of the nicest little 22 target pistols I've seen in a long while.  I'm done with my pistol shooting, and uncase my AK.  Those guys eyes got real big.  I offered to let them shoot the AK, and got a polite "Um, no thanks."  I wonder want prejudices went bubbling through their minds.    

Quoted:
2 neckbeards come onto the range with a brand new AR. Barebomes basic DPMS. Guy doesnt have a rear sight, just the front sight post. I along with the range safety tell him. His reply was "but there is a front sight, I dont need 2 sights". Needless to say he wasnt allowed to shoot it.

Last weekend.

Heh, I have no neckbeard, but after I assembled my first AR and was really excited about taking it out to shoot it, despite no scope or rear sight.  I put every round on paper.

I may have done something similar with a bolt action .50 cal when didn't have a scope mount. Didn't have a bipod and may have used a gallon bucket.

I have a range about 15 minutes from my house, and I wanted to test my reloads for the 9mm AR I had just assembled.  It had no sights at all- but it was easy to line up on cardboard (and the berm) to make sure it functioned and my reloads were stable.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Our range was in the rear of a 2000+ acre county park.  The range land itself was surrounded by a 8' chain link fence with outward facing 3-strand barbed wire, with one sliding access gate at the main road and another gate at the rear road.  Then the rifle/pistol range itself was also surrounded by another fence, only way in was through the range lobby into a vestibule at the tower,  where an RO would open a gate and take you out to a bench on the line.

I was in the office on a 'closed' day--the rifle/pistol range was closed, the trap/skeet fields were closed, the sporting clays course was closed and the LEO ranges were closed.  All gates were closed and locked, main gate at the road was closed but not locked.  Building entrances were locked.

I'm in an office doing inventory on the computer.  Another RO was over at the maintanence shed at Trap & Skeet repairing a clays machine.

This was in South Florida.  Two Hispanic gentleman drive up, open the main gate.  Drive to rifle range.  Doors to building are locked.  They climb over the barbed wire fence, drag a garbage can into the middle of the 100-yard range, pull out pistols and from ten feet away, no eye or ear pro, start doing mag dumps into it.  They're facing back towards the firing line and their bullets are going past the benches and hitting the wall of the range building, hitting Windows, restroom doors and vending machines.  

Other RO and I hear the gunshots and come running over, screaming at them to stop.

One guy speaks NO englese.  Other guy barely speaks it.  Can't understand why we're mad.  Kept repeating "Is this not allowed?" And said he thought that if you wanted to shoot, this was how you went about it.

Another time, similar situation, range closed.  Three college kids show up, climb fence to trap/skeet range, walk onto a trap field, pull out pistols and start shooting garbage cans and fence posts.  We park a Rhino behind their car and call the sheriffs dept.  before they arrive, one kid makes a phone call.  He locks the guns in the trunk of his car.  Five minutes later a Cadillac pulls up, it's the kid'd father, a lawyer.  They live in Arvida, a gated subdivision down the road from the park.  Police show up a few minutes later, lawyer says since police didn't witness the trespassing or the 'alleged' gunfire, they don't have probable cause to detain or search the car.  We argued with the cops for twenty minutes and they finally let the kids go.  Lawyer called Parks and Rec commissioner that week and tried to have us fired.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The safety nazism, paranoia, and general snobbery in this thread reminds me why I pay somebody to shoot on their private property.   Activities yesterday included bump firing (the old fashioned way) approx 500rnds through an AK47 and hand tossing melons to blast with a Taurus judge 000buck
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW OP never said he was going to kill the guy.  Just drop him; which could imply a variety of different shots potentially taken.  He could have been planning on shooting him in the leg or something.

I'm going to side with OP and assume that he never had a thought of outright killing the guy, but instead just "dropping" him.  I will also assume that the OP is proficient enough with his rifle that he felt confident he could make a debilitating limb shot or such (not factoring in the bleeding out factor.)

You seem....Familiar....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

What did the fox say?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#36]
So way back when I was still in college, painting class, our instructor told us to go out and paint a landscape. I had just picked up this Rossi M971 .357 (yeah, I know... I was broke) and really wanted to shoot it.

Decided a gun range landscape would be ideal.

The free local range is out at a state park off a gravel road (this will be important in a second). I get to the range, I'm the only one there, paint a quick picture... shoot a bit... shoot the painting a few times for authenticity... decide I'm done and start packing everything up into my car.

That is when this black Corvette comes flying down the gravel road... slides sideways into one of the parking spots... stops... and this guy hops out wearing a suit with no jacket and a double shoulder holster... storms down to the pistol range... proceeds to yank both pistols out from his shoulder holster (John Woo style)... and dump both mags... casually walk back to his car and drive off.

That is the best thing I have ever witnessed at a gun range. Hats off to you wannabe 80's secret agent guy in a Vette... I was amazed...

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Couple of rich and vibrants chootin their Tec9, gangsta style, across their lane to my target.  Their gat jammed about every round or two as well, lol.  I went ahead and told the guys up front and they kicked them out.  
View Quote
Bullet Hole?

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol, Ft MCclellan  Al  circa  1989...M-60 range..(range was basically shooting hilltop to mid hilltop across a valley...deer went ont oimpact area...saw about 16  -20 M-60's start to converge fire in that area (pretty far don't remember exact range but definitely "area target " range..Drill Sergeants went apeshit screamnig at all us idiots...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Our range was in the rear of a 2000+ acre county park.  The range land itself was surrounded by a 8' chain link fence with outward facing 3-strand barbed wire, with one sliding access gate at the main road and another gate at the rear road.  Then the rifle/pistol range itself was also surrounded by another fence, only way in was through the range lobby into a vestibule at the tower,  where an RO would open a gate and take you out to a bench on the line.

I was in the office on a 'closed' day--the rifle/pistol range was closed, the trap/skeet fields were closed, the sporting clays course was closed and the LEO ranges were closed.  All gates were closed and locked, main gate at the road was closed but not locked.  Building entrances were locked.

I'm in an office doing inventory on the computer.  Another RO was over at the maintanence shed at Trap & Skeet repairing a clays machine.

This was in South Florida.  Two Hispanic gentleman drive up, open the main gate.  Drive to rifle range.  Doors to building are locked.  They climb over the barbed wire fence, drag a garbage can into the middle of the 100-yard range, pull out pistols and from ten feet away, no eye or ear pro, start doing mag dumps into it.  They're facing back towards the firing line and their bullets are going past the benches and hitting the wall of the range building, hitting Windows, restroom doors and vending machines.  

Other RO and I hear the gunshots and come running over, screaming at them to stop.

One guy speaks NO englese.  Other guy barely speaks it.  Can't understand why we're mad.  Kept repeating "Is this not allowed?" And said he thought that if you wanted to shoot, this was how you went about it.

Another time, similar situation, range closed.  Three college kids show up, climb fence to trap/skeet range, walk onto a trap field, pull out pistols and start shooting garbage cans and fence posts.  We park a Rhino behind their car and call the sheriffs dept.  before they arrive, one kid makes a phone call.  He locks the guns in the trunk of his car.  Five minutes later a Cadillac pulls up, it's the kid'd father, a lawyer.  They live in Arvida, a gated subdivision down the road from the park.  Police show up a few minutes later, lawyer says since police didn't witness the trespassing or the 'alleged' gunfire, they don't have probable cause to detain or search the car.  We argued with the cops for twenty minutes and they finally let the kids go.  Lawyer called Parks and Rec commissioner that week and tried to have us fired.
View Quote

lol  markham park..ftw?...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Majority of guys cannot sight in their guns, they will sit there and burn through two or three boxes of ammo and not have a clue. I think the range charges 7.50 or something like that for a bore sighting.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was at the range to sight in my new deer gun and it just wouldn't shoot no matter what I did. I brought about 11 bullets my neighbor gave me, but some were too big and one just slid all the way in and out the front. The guy at the next bench kept glancing at me funny like he wanted to say something so I pointed the barrel at him and asked if he knew which one was the right one. The guy went all crazy and started screaming at me and started packing his shit up and left in a huff. Can you believe there are assholes out there like this?  

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went to watch the FCSA match at Coalinga once, and the evening before someone had left a gate open and let the cows wander into the range.  About 30 of them were sitting about 20 yards downrange, and they didn't even twitch unless a bullet passed within 15 feet (directly overhead- terrain drops a bit below the firing line before rising up to the 1000 yard target line).  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Majority of guys cannot sight in their guns, they will sit there and burn through two or three boxes of ammo and not have a clue. I think the range charges 7.50 or something like that for a bore sighting.

View Quote

I went to the range with a friend a few weeks ago to sight in his new .300 blackout.  He was shooting patterns instead of groups.  After fiddling with the scope and wasting a couple dozen rounds he asks me to try it.  I shot a nice two inch group right over the bullseye .  He began fuming and went back to wasting ammo.  He still swears it's the gun.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#44]
the more Private the better these days.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What did the fox say?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did the fox say?

Check fire?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#46]
B
Quoted:

Shooting at my car? Probably not... My car with me in it? Yeah, we might exchange fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sand Springs Sportsmen's Club, one of  the oldest "private" gun ranges in the country. About 15 years ago:

Some goat-ass fuqqing, redneck, meth-mouth, Fudd was out there shooting (shooting at, hitting nothing) skeet with a duck gun and he was holding past the skeet houses, shooting past the foul lines and he PEPPERED my showroom restored 1968 Cougar with 2 semi-auto blasts of #8 birdshot. (Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-Boom!-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss!)

I was standing on the rifle range when I heard the pellets bouncing off of the tin roof over the firing line and also hitting car parked nearby and I shouted to the skeet range, "HOLD YOUR FIRE! HOLD YOUR FIRE! You're hitting me and my car in the parking lot!"

Asswipe's reply: "Move your fuqqing car, asshole!" and he went right on shooting #8 birsdhshot from 100+ yards away.

This was the only time I can ever recall pointing a rifle at someone when my life didn't really depend on it. I was holding a fully-loaded AR-15 (I guess Assclown could have stung me with birdshot...while I was unloading a 30-round mag of green tips into his rapidly cooling corpse.)

I stepped behind a big pecan tree and took aim straight at said assclown, and ordered him to drop your weapon or I'll drop your ass! . He got the hint REALLY quickly, threw his shotgun into his car and took off. I later reported the whole thing to the club board and found out he wasn't even a member at the club. He had just stolen another member's gate code and entered without a membership.

...still didn't get my car fixed. I had to have the hood repainted and paid for it myself.

You were gonna kill someone for peppering your car?  

Shooting at my car? Probably not... My car with me in it? Yeah, we might exchange fire.

Get'er done
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You seem....Familiar....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem....Familiar....

Use of force is one of the concepts that is regularly and frequently misunderstood and misstated on this forum, but your statements are out of whack by any standard.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't know about you, but at 100 yards I'm not able to read the markings on shotgun shells.  

If the shotgunner had kept firing, he would have been knowingly firing at another human being.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was the only time I can ever recall pointing a rifle at someone when my life didn't really depend on it
. I was holding a fully-loaded AR-15 (I guess Assclown could have stung me with birdshot...while I was unloading a 30-round mag of green tips into his rapidly cooling corpse.)

Good point
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#49]
On Veterans' Day, I checked out this new indoor range in the Springs because it was free for Active Duty for the entire month. ..I should've known what kind of goobers this promo would bring in.

There was this group of gentlemen who were being "taught" by some dude who just regurgitated Costa-isms and all the cool-guy crap without providing reasons why the techniques are used. Needless to say, their groups were not impressive at 25 yards with the SCAR H they were sharing.

Growing up, I had plenty of WTF moments at public ranges.. From my cousin pointing a .44 at my head when I was 5, to an Old Fart trying to get me to render "88" honors after shooting his luger.. (He was kidding, but I was still like )

Now, I try to shoot in the boonies, but I have to deal with people setting up their firing line 100m DOWN RANGE (but slightly off to the side ) from me
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Doesn't mean you should kill over it. I've been peppered thousands of times. It's not a big deal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#8's aren't going to do anything at 100 yards.  Take a handful of #8's, throw them in the air underhanded and stand underneath, that's about as hard as they will come down at 100 yards.

#8's with a muzzle velocity of 1165 FPS pack a whopping .66 ft./lbs of energy at 60 yards, they lose ~.10 ft./lbs every 10 yards beyond 60.

Ummm...no, that was Carter.....but I digress,  Hotshots like yourself are the reasons I avoid public ranges...I prefer to let you plug yourself without my interruption.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top