Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/28/2015 9:57:11 AM EDT
How freaking cool these horses are!! I have been told they almost single handedly saved that breed.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't realize how tall they were

Those animals are huge
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn near every, if not every, brewer at Octoberfest shows up every year towing beer by Clydesdale.

I find it hard to believe Budweiser's copying them "saved the breed."

But yes, they're cool horses.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn near every, if not every, brewer at Octoberfest shows up every year towing beer by Clydesdale.

View Quote

Maybe he means bud saved beer. Hopefully they can continue to grow and slap some of these micro breweries out of business.

The horses are cool they come to the horse parade around here every year
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Their shoes dwarf a normal horseshoe. Fortunately, for their size they have great dispositions.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
beautiful horses and kewl dawg!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
beautiful horses and kewl dawg!
View Quote

That dog dashes left and right to not miss a single person! Way cool and very happy dog.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe he means bud saved beer. Hopefully they can continue to grow and slap some of these micro breweries out of business.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why in the world would you want that? Budweiser sucks. The horses are the only thing that I like about them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#8]
My grandfather drove the Budweiser hitch at the Iowa State Fair in the late 1940s.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why in the world would you want that? Budweiser sucks. The horses are the only thing that I like about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do a lot of outside work. Drinking some coffee stout hipster bullshit is not the same as drinking a bud after mowing the yard or other things. Besides, haven't you seen the new bud commercial with the blind taste testing in the bar?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Are they were Budweiser beer comes from?  Sure tastes like it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I got to see a few of them when I took the tour of the brewery in St. Louis. They are pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do a lot of outside work. Drinking some coffee stout hipster bullshit is not the same as drinking a bud after mowing the yard or other things. Besides, haven't you seen the new bud commercial with the blind taste testing in the bar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

False dichotomy, for the win.  GD at its finest.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got to see a few of them when I took the tour of the brewery in St. Louis. They are pretty impressive.
View Quote

Same here, those horses are very well cared for.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Their shoes dwarf a normal horseshoe. Fortunately, for their size they have great dispositions.
View Quote

Generations of farmers used them for work, they selected the gentle ones that could be controlled.  Percherons (what used to farm my farm) and Belgiums are also big, gentle horses.  Arabians, OTOH, are fucking psycho.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Met them in Palm Desert a few years back, awesome horses.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#17]
They are quite impressive in person.  Seeing them on TV does not do them justice.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Budweiser=pisswater
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to work along side them when i worked for Anheuser Busch (before they were sold).  They were the only things that Anheuser Busch took care of better than their employees, and their employees were treated like gold.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#20]
A friend has a team of Clydes. They stand about 6' at the withers (shoulders), very people-oriented, truly gentle giants.

Clydes are mainly carriage horses, with Belgians and Percherons being the predominant breeds for farm work. There numbers dropped drastically as mechanization took over. Following Budweiser's lead there are now several breeders producing horses mainly for show.

If you enjoy drafts, check out the "Gentle Giants" programs on RFD-TV at 2 PM Eastern on Wednesdays.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Best 9-11 tribute commercial ever.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#22]
The crew that takes care of them, once set up near my house in a fairgrounds I frequently walk. There they were, all alone, with nobody around

The portable stables (tent) they have are amazing. The semi trailers stocked with everything they need and all their gear is equally impressive. I found myself talking to one of the vets that travel with them for quite a while. There is quite a support staff for these animals. And quite a few bucks in gear/harnesses/tack/etc. There are two people in charge of just all the buckles, straps, polishing and taking care of the gear for the horses even before the carriage is hooked up. That's another guy for the carriage

I couldn't imagine what they spend to move these horses to events, feed them, care for them and keep them healthy. The horses look like they live a life of relative luxury.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#23]
The making of the Budweiser commercials. You'll probably recognize some of the scenes from various commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si7p23Nex-g

Breeding the Bud Clydesdales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNJ5YQ0vZ0
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Best 9-11 tribute commercial ever.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I love this commercial: Clydesdale Snowfight.  I posted it several years ago, got about three replies bitching about Budweiser beer.  Say what you will, there's been a bunch of pussy gotten behind a six pack of Bud.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love this commercial: Clydesdale Snowfight.  I posted it several years ago, got about three replies bitching about Budweiser beer.  Say what you will, there's been a bunch of pussy gotten behind a six pack of Bud.
View Quote

Bud is still one of my most common beers in the fridge.  It's good stuff.  The hipster movement has tried to kill Bud, but you cannot kill it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Generations of farmers used them for work, they selected the gentle ones that could be controlled.  Percherons (what used to farm my farm) and Belgiums are also big, gentle horses.  Arabians, OTOH, are fucking psycho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Besides the 9/11 tribute, my favorite is the "American Dream" commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RrilbR2soY
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#29]
In the couse of the brewery tour in St. Louis, we were permitted to visit the stables and see the Clydesdales. They're huge, their hooves and horseshoes are huge and their hitching ring in the stable was minimally at the 6' level.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Beautiful animals.  

This thread caused me to search for world's biggest horse breeds, etc.  It led me to this page, which has some neat horse records:

World Record Horses

Largest Horse

The tallest documented horse was a shire gelding named Samson. He was 21.2 1/2 hands tall, and weighed 3,360 pounds. He was bred by Thomas Cleaver of Toddington Mills, England, and was foaled in 1846.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#31]
They are very big my friend and I worked security at a bar during the MO State Fair and when he got off at 2 AM he would guard the Clydesdales until 6 AM. I was also sad to see that carriage is very fake nothing but vinyl stickers to make it look like wood on the beer boxes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Local guy has a few, brings them to events for the kids to ride.  One in particular gets all the small kids.  You put a real small one up there and I think you could balance a water glass on his back.  I'd never seen that kind of consideration in a horse before.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The crew that takes care of them, once set up near my house in a fairgrounds I frequently walk. There they were, all alone, with nobody around

The portable stables (tent) they have are amazing. The semi trailers stocked with everything they need and all their gear is equally impressive. I found myself talking to one of the vets that travel with them for quite a while. There is quite a support staff for these animals. And quite a few bucks in gear/harnesses/tack/etc. There are two people in charge of just all the buckles, straps, polishing and taking care of the gear for the horses even before the carriage is hooked up. That's another guy for the carriage

I couldn't imagine what they spend to move these horses to events, feed them, care for them and keep them healthy. The horses look like they live a life of relative luxury.
View Quote

A few years back they parked their tack trailer and horse trailer in the street in front of my house to collect the horses after a parade.  The whole entourage and associated equipment for the horses is impressive.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#34]
They're beautiful horses. Saw them at the state fair a while back, impressive.

There's an Amish outfit that re-does foundations near me, and they use big Belgian draft horses to pull manual jacks to lift the houses...it's the damnest thing to see in person. They were working on my neighbor's house and this big old horse was pulling huge ropes free of any handlers...the dude under the house would yell out to the horse and it would pull then stop.

I had a collie/malamute mix that was watching all this through the window, very excited. When I opened the door, she got out and charged the horse. I was scared the horse would buck or something...but my dog ran beeline right at it.

When the dog got within about 10', it put the brakes on and slid the rest of the way....locked up in a sort of terror. All I can think is the dog had no idea how fucking huge that horse was. The horse turned and looked down at my dog like "awww, cute". And she turned and kind of ran back to me calm as could be.

That horse's hoof was bigger than a huge dinner plate. Makes you wonder how some of the big heavy horses looked all armored up for battle. Must have been impressive.

I like Budweiser, btw, but I'm not a fussy little darling. I'll drink any beer and like it, because I'm a man.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Not all Clydesdales are chestnut. This team (Express Clydesdales) is often shown in the "Gentle Giants" program mentioned earlier.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SO YOU WANT A BELGIAN_BRAZILIAN CONGLOMERATE to put U.S. breweries out of business?  Go look up InBev.

And I don't even drink beer, no dog in the fight.  I might sip a bourbon every once in a while.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Everybody talking about it, nobody gonna post it...

ETA- Weren't they the ones that stopped brewing beer for a day or two so they could ship a shitload of bottled/canned water to NYC after 9/11? Can't remember. Classy though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#38]
That is the most beautiful horses ever.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Amazing animals..I saw them at Sea World a few years ago. I knew they were tall, yet their overall size blew me away!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Beautiful breed; I saw them at Busch Gardens - Tampa Bay. THey are indeed tall; I am 6'1" and I fenlt like a fucking midget next to them. I love the black and pintos.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're assholes. Belgians have the good dispositions.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been to the Bud brewery here in CO...they have stables for the horses ...they are treated very well.. spoiled, you might say
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Great horses and great marketing, however they certainly didn't save the breed. Large drafts are all over the place including still being used for work like in the old days.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My cousin used to drive them around to the various shows back in the day.  Now he lives on a ranch and takes care of them.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Great horses and great marketing, however they certainly didn't save the breed. Large drafts are all over the place including still being used for work like in the old days.
View Quote

The Stockshow, held here in Denver every January, usually has a couple days of Draft horse pulls.. it's amazing what a couple horses can do.. most of them appear to love pulling that sled.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

A few years back they parked their tack trailer and horse trailer in the street in front of my house to collect the horses after a parade.  The whole entourage and associated equipment for the horses is impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was cool. I live in a county where 1/3 of all homes have horses. I don't know much about them, but knew that what I was seeing was impressive. It was nice for the crew to spend so much time giving me this "private tour". I spent a good 1.5 hours there with them. It was a nice afternoon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I like Budweiser, btw, but I'm not a fussy little darling. I'll drink any beer and like it, because I'm a man.
View Quote

Yes.  Thank you.  Buncha prissy motherfuckers here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top