BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You just don't know how to bid that's all.
You can't just bid on an item the night before and expect to win the next morning.
Have to know the closing time and be prepared to outbid whoever at the last minute
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Man bids 20 dollars on 200 dollar item comes back in one week and says it must be rigged I got out bid and didn't watch the auction.
View Quote

Wow, all I can say is wow. This has to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard.You sir, should win some kind of prize.You make me sad.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't just bid on an item the night before and expect to win the next morning.

Have to know the closing time and be prepared to outbid whoever at the last minute

Please read how gunbroker works and see that it doesn't work exactly how you described.  Pay close attention to the 15 min rule.  

No doubt there are some shenanigans on GB.  But I have lots of good guns from there, that came at some really good prices.  I have never overpaid for a gun on the site.  I am sure there are 1000's who have though.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I needed a long action for a project a few years ago. Found a Savage in 30-06, no reserve, one penny to start. 3 days later I won the auction for $0.01 but the seller would not close the deal. Sometimes you luck out and get stuff cheap, just don't get emotional about it and feel you have to beat the other guy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wow, all I can say is wow. This has to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard.You sir, should win some kind of prize.You make me sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man bids 20 dollars on 200 dollar item comes back in one week and says it must be rigged I got out bid and didn't watch the auction.

So you bid on an item, ignore the auction and it ends, and you get surprised that someone outbid you?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
A few years ago when I was trying to buy up every C&R gun on the planet I bought a lot of stuff on GB. It's a dance requiring a mix of timing, luck and sheer perseverance to get what you're bidding on especially if you have several other people bidding against you. I lost very few items to someone else unless the bidding went crazy but a lot of times that meant checking on items MANY times in a day to make sure who was bidding and when.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've gotten some killer deals on gunbroker.

View Quote

I have gotten Pmags for $5.17 each shipped.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I needed a long action for a project a few years ago. Found a Savage in 30-06, no reserve, one penny to start. 3 days later I won the auction for $0.01 but the seller would not close the deal. Sometimes you luck out and get stuff cheap, just don't get emotional about it and feel you have to beat the other guy.
View Quote

One hopes you reported the guy?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

, I must not have explained myself correctly, or some are misunderstanding.

I always lose by $5.00.I am not compaining about being outbid, by others, that would be fine.My complaint is, that if I am being outbid, shouldn't  occasionally,  I be outbid by 10, 15, 20, on up to $100? This is never the case, there is always 1 more bid, never 2, or 3, or more.Always 1 more.This just seems very convenient.
View Quote
Ever heard of a bidding app?

There are automated tools that run on a cell phone or a computer or just as a web site service that automatically bids for a person so they can go to sleep.

Set the max amount, and the tool outbids anybody until the auction is won or the max amount is breached.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I have noticed that certain sellers on GB get higher prices on some items.  Kings and Phoenix for example. They have a lot of followers and they seem to disregard what similar items have sold for in the past.  Example us the Smith & Wesson 4566.  Kings has sold them from $350-$450, same gun different closing times.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There are automated tools that run on a cell phone or a computer or just as a web site service that automatically bids for a person so they can go to sleep.

Set the max amount, and the tool outbids anybody until the auction is won or the max amount is breached.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I always lose by $5.00.I am not compaining about being outbid, by others, that would be fine.My complaint is, that if I am being outbid, shouldn't  occasionally,  I be outbid by 10, 15, 20, on up to $100? This is never the case, there is always 1 more bid, never 2, or 3, or more.Always 1 more.This just seems very convenient.

Gunbroker does it for you

Our auction has a feature called AutoBid. When you place a bid, you are entering the maximum amount you are willing to pay for an item. AutoBid bids on your behalf, and always bids the least it can to win. When you are outbid, AutoBid will raise its bid. It will never bid more than your maximum.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wow, I feel like  I am speaking Chinese  here.

The point I  trying to make, is even if I  bid on the auction 7 days, or 2 hrs before it closes, I am losing by $5.00, by 1 BIDDER.never more then 1.

For the love of God, I understand how the bidding works, the persons max bid, and the $5.00 increment  please don't say that again.
View Quote

The seller doesn't want it to go for that cheap so he phones a friend to bid it up and pretends to ship it if the friend wins.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Gunbroker uses a different system than eBay.  The gun auctions have a $5.00 increment to bid up an item.  Bids that come in at less than 15 minutes before the end of the auction will automatically reset the close to 15 minutes.  As such, auctions can go quite a while longer than scheduled if several people want the item are are watching the close.  There is no sniping like there is on eBay.  

Some sniper services online, like BidNapper, have Gunbroker capability.  They'll bid up to your maximum for you, but there's no "bid at the last second" functionality because GB doesn't work that way.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I found a guy with a bunch of items that started at a penny and all had the same shill account bid on them. I found a guy who had over 1,000 rare garand parts and probably works for the CMP . I have also won several deals.  As someone else said bidding odd numbers helps a lot . I like gunbroker for some stuff.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Stay up late, and bid $10.00.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I like gun broker, I have a large watch list and bid on those items if its a good deal.

If its a rifle I really want, I bid as soon as I see it. I do this because if other collectors I know see I am bidding on it, they will not bid against me, I too will not bid against them unless its a rifle I need. On these I put out a bid that I think will take it but sometimes will bump that up at the end if I am outbid.

If I am outbid by less than $5 then I know that is their max bid and will bump mine up to see if I can get it.

Somethings I don't like are reserves, if a seller wants a minimum amount, then start the auction at that amount. Penny start with no reserve get a lot of attention and usually sell for a decent amount.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The point I  trying to make, is even if I  bid on the auction 7 days, or 2 hrs before it closes, I am losing by $5.00, by 1 BIDDER.never more then 1.

For the love of God, I understand how the bidding works, the persons max bid, and the $5.00 increment  please don't say that again.
View Quote
I get what you are saying.  My guess is that if you are close to FMV of the item, there is probably only one person bidding against you.

If the final bid is significantly under fair market value, then I agree it is much more suspicious as presumably, more than one person

(besides you) should recognize the bargain.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may have been outbid by those amounts, but because of how GunBroker works, it only ups the bid the bid increment, which is $5.

So, if you bid $100, and I bid $300, and you did not increase your bid, I would win the auction for $105. If you increased your bid to $200, I would still win the auction, only for $205. If you bid $300, I would still win the auction, because I placed the same high bid, but before you. If you bid $400, you would win the auction for $305, unless another bid was placed.

Above.
Yep

I guess we didn't fail to understand

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Most likely guys have shill accounts to either up the bid or outbid if a particular gun will be sold cheaper than they expected
View Quote
Fail

You get caught and GB closes your account for ever and some guys depend on GB to make a living.

They have programs looking at IP's and other tools they use

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Are you being obtuse or just not getting it?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No you not understanding is what makes our heads hurt.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#22]
There are some great deals on there. I got my SDN-6 at dealer price - $600. It was however, a buy it now option and I didn't have to bid, so I can't comment on a bidding conspiracy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've gotten some killer deals on gunbroker.
View Quote
Me too, before all the stupid shootings made firearms more popular.  Or before people became paranoid.

Everything has been as advertised.  Hell, I got a Para Ord P14 from the early 1990s for $185.  Thing is, it has yet  to hiccup. Dang.

Sure, a bit rough around the edges but it works.  I would say 95% finish on the slide is intact with just scratches on the Parkerized frame.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The seller doesn't want it to go for that cheap so he phones a friend to bid it up and pretends to ship it if the friend wins.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy is understands what I am saying, I am thinking this is what's happening.The odds of losing 20 different auctions , by just 1 more bid, in 1 increment over mine, that many times, seems pretty unlikely.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope.  I got an incredible deal on a Sig Scorpion 1911.    Will definitely buy again.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This guy is understands what I am saying, I am thinking this is what's happening.The odds of losing 20 different auctions , by just 1 more bid, in 1 increment over mine, that many times, seems pretty unlikely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The odds of 20 separate auctions being rigged is even more unlikely.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know what auctions even are?  Or what bidding is?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

So maybe only one person is bidding above you?

Doesn't seem that unlikely to me to be honest.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm enjoying this thread.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can't see where bidders are from

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet shill bidding happens at times. But I've thrown out some really low bids for the hell of it and been surprised when I get an email saying I won it.    

Shill bidding does happen but all you have to do to find out is to search a dealers other auction history
You can tell the shills if the same user shows up in alot of that seller's auctions and search that bidder's history. I've  seen users who, Interestingly enough, only seem to bid in that particular seller's auctions and happen to hail from close by. Sellers will set up shill accounts to bid items up or retain the items if they aren't garnering high bids, sometimes you'll see the same gun list again after the shill "won" it.

Gotta do your research and as always caveat emptor....
You can't see where bidders are from

No but interestingly enough the feedback of the shill will sometimes say they "picked it up" from seller leading one to figure that they are a friend or the seller themselves.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, I don't know I've bid on tons of items on gunbroker and never won.  All of the items I've bid went for retail.  My fatherinlaw wins stuff all the time but he's into collectible guns rather than new modern stuff.

Meanwhile on ebay I score great deals all the time.  It's too bad ebay is anti guns...

To be clear I think there is a lot more shill bidding on gunbroker than on ebay.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I've bought 4 or 5 off there. No complaints. Are there shill bidders? Undoubtedly. Is every auction that way? No.

Op, you can't bid on autopilot. This is an active participation exercise. The reason its always $5 is because that's the bid spread.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#33]
If you really want something you see on auction, you need to figure out what the average selling price has been recently, then put in a respectable bid that has a serious chance of not being out bid.  Money talks.

Or you can do like I did and keep trying to get it cheap and get out bid.  Money... its all about the money.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you bid a max the bid only goes up in increments as opposed to the person you are bidding against. So if their max is $40 above your current bid it will beat your bid by one increment every time you bid against them up to their limit. So while you only see their next bid increment they may have already bid well beyond your final bid. See how that works? Under the 15minute rule each time a bid is placed beyond max it extends the auction 15 minutes so you would have to keep bidding past their max bid to outbid them and win.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No  one is going out of their way to prevent a gun from going 5 dollars too cheap.  If there is one person that bids 5 or 500 more than you it is going to up your his bid by five automatically for him.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#36]
So you bid on an item, ignore the auction and it ends, and you get surprised that someone outbid you?
View Quote

If you set a proxy bid for the absolute maximum that you would pay (that is, for the most that the item is worth, to you), and you get outbid, then that other guy paid too much. I have the perverse satisfaction that the other guy is getting shafted, because I research my prices beforehand, and have a pretty good idea how much the items are really worth.

The absolute worst thing you can do is see the bidding as some kind of competition. If you start putting your ego on the line, you end up paying too much.

The best thing to do is place your proxy bid and then walk away. Do not even look at the auction again until it's over. That way you won't succumb to temptation to increase your bid.

Now, I will say this: Although I don't try to snipe, I don't put in bids too early, either. If, for example, you place a bid 4 days before the auction closes (instead of 1 day before the auction closes), you draw attention to that auction, and others might wake up and bid also. If there are no bids on an item, it means that bidders may not have discovered it. You want to maintain that situation as long as possible.

Success in auctions is at least half attributable to finding undiscovered or misdescribed items. Here's an example: I was once looking for 15-round Beretta 92 magazines. Ebay has a policy under which they won't allow listings for magazines greater than 10 round capacity. I looked at those anyway. Sure enough, there were listings that said they were for 10-round magazines, but the pictures were clearly of 15-round magazines. (The ebay administrators didn't know any better, and the users weren't going to inform them.) I got some good deals on 15-round magazines.

Don't go into auctions with blinders on. Keep your eyes open.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#37]
It has worked great for me.  I have purchased 2 pistols that were hard to find.  Great price and experience with both sellers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Lots of shill bidding there.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can only lose by one bid.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I see an EE feedback issue in op's future............

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have been browsing gunbroker  lately, and randomly bidding on guns,  that seem like bargains.I have bid on over 20 different  auctions in the last month or so, and have not won any of them.When I go to look at my  gunbroker  auctions the next day, I am always outbid by  about $5.00
Are these auctions rigged? I mean, do the vendors bid on their own items, so they don't sell cheap.It think this is way too much of a coincidence.
Have I been living in a cave, and this is common knowlwedge? What's going on here?
View Quote

20 people wanted it more bad than you did.  Bid higher and you'll win. There's no conspiracy, it's just that simple.  

Here's the clue:

bidding on guns,  that seem like bargains
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

OP, I don't know I've bid on tons of items on gunbroker and never won.  All of the items I've bid went for retail.  My fatherinlaw wins stuff all the time but he's into collectible guns rather than new modern stuff.

Meanwhile on ebay I score great deals all the time.  It's too bad ebay is anti guns...

To be clear I think there is a lot more shill bidding on gunbroker than on ebay.
View Quote
what evidence do you have of any shill bidding on gun broker, in other words what are you basing this on?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Lots of shill bidding there.

View Quote
BS

What proof do you have of that?

I do get a little pissed off when people make asinine statements like that with no way to back it up.

I do well at GB, always have, it's where we got our start selling in the gun business 16 years ago  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#44]
My head hurts.

Proxy bidding. Look up the concept.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't even need that. The site does it for you. Proxy bids.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you set a proxy bid for the absolute maximum that you would pay (that is, for the most that the item is worth, to you), and you get outbid, then that other guy paid too much. I have the perverse satisfaction that the other guy is getting shafted, because I research my prices beforehand, and have a pretty good idea how much the items are really worth.

The absolute worst thing you can do is see the bidding as some kind of competition. If you start putting your ego on the line, you end up paying too much.

The best thing to do is place your proxy bid and then walk away. Do not even look at the auction again until it's over. That way you won't succumb to temptation to increase your bid.

Now, I will say this: Although I don't try to snipe, I don't put in bids too early, either. If, for example, you place a bid 4 days before the auction closes (instead of 1 day before the auction closes), you draw attention to that auction, and others might wake up and bid also. If there are no bids on an item, it means that bidders may not have discovered it. You want to maintain that situation as long as possible.

Success in auctions is at least half attributable to finding undiscovered or misdescribed items. Here's an example: I was once looking for 15-round Beretta 92 magazines. Ebay has a policy under which they won't allow listings for magazines greater than 10 round capacity. I looked at those anyway. Sure enough, there were listings that said they were for 10-round magazines, but the pictures were clearly of 15-round magazines. (The ebay administrators didn't know any better, and the users weren't going to inform them.) I got some good deals on 15-round magazines.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There's a reason why you don't just throw the max. To a certain extent you've played your hand - especially on ebay. Throw in a max and you'll see someone come along and big up in small increments til they see your max, cancel all the bids and then wait, knowing what your price point is. You're giving up too much information by bidding high and early.

Bid late as possible, keep that close to your chest til the last possible minute.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#47]
The best way I've found to get deals on auction is when is to look for the bargains among many different guns I'm interested in but not to have to get one specific gun.

For instance, I like WWII stuff, and older S&W revolvers, and there's a few specific recent handguns I want to pick up. So, when I'm on the site I browse by the category of things I'm interested in and if I find something I like, that seems at a good price, I'll watch it until near the auction close and then bid. If it gets too high, I'll walk away from it and look at the other things I'm watching. They'll always be another S&W Model 10, or Model 28, or a Colt Police Positive, or a German P-38, if the ones I'm looking at get too pricey.

That works better for me then having to specifically get say, a Model 28, because then I get more invested in having to win *that* specific auction, and how much I'm willing to pay or overpay goes up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Please read how gunbroker works and see that it doesn't work exactly how you described.  Pay close attention to the 15 min rule.    

No doubt there are some shenanigans on GB.  But I have lots of good guns from there, that came at some really good prices.  I have never overpaid for a gun on the site.  I am sure there are 1000's who have though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know how it works, I've won plenty of bids on gb.  Just trying to point out that op thinks he can just bid once and thinks he has it in the bag.
It's like any auction, you have to be proactive.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top