Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2015 11:52:51 PM EDT
I have been browsing gunbroker  lately, and randomly bidding on guns,  that seem like bargains.I have bid on over 20 different  auctions in the last month or so, and have not won any of them.When I go to look at my  gunbroker  auctions the next day, I am always outbid by  about $5.00
Are these auctions rigged? I mean, do the vendors bid on their own items, so they don't sell cheap.It think this is way too much of a coincidence.
Have I been living in a cave, and this is common knowlwedge? What's going on here?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I suppose it could happen, but I have many guns from GB that were all DEALS, I do not overpay on GB.  My suggestion is to note what time bidding ends and watch it.  If you do your homework, bargains can be found on GB, you can also get monkey raped if you don't know what you are bidding on.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 EDT
[#2]
Maybe try being aggressive with your bids. You need to be watching them during the last few minutes or someone will outbid you. Other people are doing the same thing you're doing but not just dropping the bids and hoping for the best.

Also, yeah it's rigged.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
You just don't know how to bid that's all.
You can't just bid on an item the night before and expect to win the next morning.
Have to know the closing time and be prepared to outbid whoever at the last minute
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]
i've never had the balls to ask in a public forum, but never joined because i'm cynical
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#5]
What happens is the same shot on eBay, some old bastard puts in a price that is a dollar Cheaper than he can get locally so when he wins he feels like he gott a deal by saving that dollar.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suppose it could happen, but I have many guns from GB that were all DEALS, I do not overpay on GB.  My suggestion is to note what time bidding ends and watch it.  If you do your homework, bargains can be found on GB, you can also get monkey raped if you don't know what you are bidding on.  
View Quote

I sell components. Projectiles mostly. Some people go crazy and pay more than retail on some stuff you could simply order online.....then promptly send payment.

I'm like......"ok".

Happens too often to be a coincidence. Mine are auctions so I think folks get caught up in the "You aren't going to outbid me!!!" mentality.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm willing to bet shill bidding happens at times. But I've thrown out some really low bids for the hell of it and been surprised when I get an email saying I won it.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe try being aggressive with your bids. You need to be watching them during the last few minutes or someone will outbid you. Other people are doing the same thing you're doing but not just dropping the bids and hoping for the best.

Also, yeah it's rigged.
View Quote

GB also has the 15 minute rule which makes it difficult for people to snipe auctions.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I know what your saying, about sniping the bid at the last minute, but if that was the case, I wouldn't be losing by only $5.00 everytime.I have bid on these kimber 380's for my wife, almost daily, and it is always the same.Maybe I will try watching one asit closes.Feels kinda fishy to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Bid to an odd amount, that's slightly above your "max" and slightly above a common round-number cutoff point.  Example - if you only want to go up to $425, enter a max bid of $426.66.  I won my last auction that way by the skin of my teeth using exactly that tactic... the other bidder hit a round-number max bid and stopped probing, and I was less than $2 over that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone bidding and winning their own auction also pays Gunbroker fees, so that's not likely.

You can set a maximum bid, and an increment to bid automatically - so you don't have to watch every auction's last hour.

GB has other issues though, and in my opinion one of them is every time you sell something you'll be asked strange shipping questions as if the guy is an ATF agent looking for people that would ship door to door.

Another issue is that people will send you messages trying to get around the system, like "How much?" - then you get 6 people watching your item and nobody bids anyway.  I think half the buyers are dealers who buy certain stuff cheap to fit their local market - and half the sellers are dealers who've opened up a large area to market stuff to, and they just relist, relist, relist until an item sells - so a bunch of stuff there is old and dusty just waiting for an uneducated buyer.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone bidding and winning their own auction also pays Gunbroker fees, so that's not likely.

You can set a maximum bid, and an increment to bid automatically - so you don't have to watch every auction's last hour.

GB has other issues though, and in my opinion one of them is every time you sell something you'll be asked strange shipping questions as if the guy is an ATF agent looking for people that would ship door to door.

Another issue is that people will send you messages trying to get around the system, like "How much?" - then you get 6 people watching your item and nobody bids anyway.  I think half the buyers are dealers who buy certain stuff cheap to fit their local market - and half the sellers are dealers who've opened up a large area to market stuff to, and they just relist, relist, relist until an item sells - so a bunch of stuff there is old and dusty just waiting for an uneducated buyer.

YMMV.
View Quote

Maybe for overpriced guns. I sell the crap out of stuff on it. Start everything at a penny and no reserve and that gets people's attention. Never bought a gun on it and I got like 4,000 feedback lol.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Something like 19 million background checks a year, you think some others might be looking to buy stuff

I have had good luck and got some smoking deals, I have also been beat out on more deals than I won, have patience, don't overpay.

I almost FO'd on a Witness Match today, buyitnow was $639 IIRC, sold near $450 with 15 bids, that has to be close to wholesale or maybe below.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I love buying and selling on gunbroker.  Bid up to what youre willing to pay for the item.  The 15 minute rule (or is it 10?) is great.  Fees are low.  Never had any issues.

The gunbroker market is huge.  Much larger than selling on gun forums. Ive sold stuff on there that i would never be able to sell here.  

Heck, a friend of mine sold a ruskie non-reburbed sks on there last night for $980.  Crazy price
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Use Autobid, tell the system what your max price is, and you will automatically bid against others up to your max amount.  Up to 999$ the bid increments are $5, soo... if my max bid is above your bid, I will always win the auction by $5.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I put a semi-collectible S&W 686 on there recently. 7 day auction, 3 days in to it I get an opening bid of $600, nothing else until the day it ends. Towards the end , the last hour, there were several bids, $5 at a time or so, until it was over. I've won a couple items and sold a couple items in GB. Its a crapshoot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I picked up a few decent guns at reasonable prices, incuding a sweet .45-70 and a 70's Colt 1911.  Bidding accelerated the last hour for sure.  Best of all my 1911 was even shipped to my FFL with a free mag of hollow points.  I was elated although my FFL was not amused.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't get caught up in a bidding war, fuck these guys.  Decide the most that you're willing to spend and bid it, then go away.  If you win, great! if not, it wasn't supposed to be.  Having a dick measuring contest on the internet and over paying for something just to say you won is asinine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#20]
It's called sniping. It's how all online auctions are won. If you want to win, put in your bid a few seconds before the end. Just know that Gunbroker is unique, in that it allows the bidding to continue after a "final" bid comes in.

Online bidding is not for the faint of heart.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#21]
You can't really snipe on GB (the way you can on ebay) because of the "15 minute rule." A last-minute bid opens up the bidding for another 15 minutes.

I've found that the best strategy, on both venues, is to forget trying to snipe. Just set a proxy bid to the absolute most you would pay, and let the chips fall where they may. Don't even look at the auction until it is over. That way you won't be tempted to overbid. People pay too much because they get caught up in the emotion of the moment, and make it an ego thing.

ETA: The best bargains in online auctions are in "sleeper" items on which no one else bids. This is where your search skills come in. For example, sometimes sellers misspell the names of their items, so that searches don't pick them up. Try various misspellings. Other times, the sellers don't know exactly what they have.  Read the fine print of the description and look for discrepancies.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't get caught up in a bidding war, fuck these guys.  Decide the most that you're willing to spend and bid it, then go away.  If you win, great! if not, it wasn't supposed to be.  Having a dick measuring contest on the internet and over paying for something just to say you won is asinine.
View Quote

This is kinda what I usually do.I would think eventually, I would either win, or get outbid, by more then $5.00.I do know about the auto bid system.I am not only adding to the current bid.I usually put in a final bid, that is $50- $100 higher.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can't really snipe on GB (the way you can on ebay) because of the "15 minute rule." A last-minute bid opens up the bidding for another 15 minutes.

I've found that the best strategy, on both venues, is to forget trying to snipe. Just set a proxy bid to the absolute most you would pay, and let the chips fall where they may. Don't even look at the auction until it is over. That way you won't be tempted to overbid. People pay too much because they get caught up in the emotion of the moment, and make it an ego thing.
View Quote

I can't spend 5 minutes on GB without seeing someone over paying for something they could get cheaper at PSA, grabagun, cdnn, etc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, I know what your saying, about sniping the bid at the last minute, but if that was the case, I wouldn't be losing by only $5.00 everytime.I have bid on these kimber 380's for my wife, almost daily, and it is always the same.Maybe I will try watching one asit closes.Feels kinda fishy to me.
View Quote

You CAN be outbid by $5.00.

If you bid $100,00 and someone comes in at the last minute and bids $200.00, they will win the auction for $105.00 -- not $200,00,

ETA: Spelling
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have been browsing gunbroker  lately, and randomly bidding on guns,  that seem like bargains.I have bid on over 20 different  auctions in the last month or so, and have not won any of them.When I go to look at my  gunbroker  auctions the next day, I am always outbid by  about $5.00

Are these auctions rigged? I mean, do the vendors bid on their own items, so they don't sell cheap.It think this is way too much of a coincidence.

Have I been living in a cave, and this is common knowlwedge? What's going on here?
View Quote
GB has some really tight security.

I know because I complained once about a guy who kept out bidding everyone of this one guys auctions, kinda one of a kind or rare stuff, then the item would go back up in a day or too when no one out bid the shill high bid.

GB security e-mailed me back , they already had caught the guy, they explained it took a little longer to catch this guy as was using a good proxy server.

The guy explained all it took was for him to log in one time on his sellers account from that proxy and they nailed him.

I believe you have to put upa  CC when you reg now?

Look at the sellers closed auctions and see if the same people keep bidding and out bidding everyone.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You just don't know how to bid that's all.

You can't just bid on an item the night before and expect to win the next morning.

Have to know the closing time and be prepared to outbid whoever at the last minute
View Quote
Even at that they have a 15 min extension rule so it's hard to snipe an auction if the other bidders are watching/  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
You're losing by $5 because that the next high bid allowed, if the guy out bid you by $100 it will only jump over you by that $5 increment

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I can't spend 5 minutes on GB without seeing someone over paying for something they could get cheaper at PSA, grabagun, cdnn, etc.
View Quote

That's right -- all the online auction venues are full of stupid bidders. For any current-production item, you have to know what it sells for normally. And don't forget to factor in the shipping costs. Many times, you can find something on Amazon, with free shipping, for less than what you would pay on ebay.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:45:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I've gotten some killer deals on gunbroker.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It's called sniping. It's how all online auctions are won. If you want to win, put in your bid a few seconds before the end. Just know that Gunbroker is unique, in that it allows the bidding to continue after a "final" bid comes in.

Online bidding is not for the faint of heart.
View Quote
Theres no such thing as sniping on gunbroker.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Does GB still have the 15 min rule?  It used to be that if a bid was placed within the last 15 mins the end time would reset to 15 mins remaining,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, yeah it's rigged.

Does GB still have the 15 min rule?  It used to be that if a bid was placed within the last 15 mins the end time would reset to 15 mins remaining,

Yes that's the rules
I can't believe someone would bid without knowing the terms.
In other words OP
Go read the rules
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I have bought and sold on there for years without issue. In fact, I just won a handgun for over $50 less than I could find it anywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet shill bidding happens at times. But I've thrown out some really low bids for the hell of it and been surprised when I get an email saying I won it.    
View Quote

Shill bidding does happen but all you have to do to find out is to search a dealers other auction history
You can tell the shills if the same user shows up in alot of that seller's auctions and search that bidder's history. I've  seen users who, Interestingly enough, only seem to bid in that particular seller's auctions and happen to hail from close by.  Sellers will set up shill accounts to bid items up or retain the items if they aren't garnering high bids, sometimes you'll see the same gun list again after the shill "won" it.

Gotta do your research and as always caveat emptor....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Shill bidding does happen but all you have to do to find out is to search a dealers other auction history

You can tell the shills if the same user shows up in alot of that seller's auctions and search that bidder's history. I've  seen users who, Interestingly enough, only seem to bid in that particular seller's auctions and happen to hail from close by. Sellers will set up shill accounts to bid items up or retain the items if they aren't garnering high bids, sometimes you'll see the same gun list again after the shill "won" it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can tell the shills if the same user shows up in alot of that seller's auctions and search that bidder's history. I've  seen users who, Interestingly enough, only seem to bid in that particular seller's auctions and happen to hail from close by. Sellers will set up shill accounts to bid items up or retain the items if they aren't garnering high bids, sometimes you'll see the same gun list again after the shill "won" it.

You can't see where bidders are from

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#37]
, I must not have explained myself correctly, or some are misunderstanding.
I always lose by $5.00.I am not compaining about being outbid, by others, that would be fine.My complaint is, that if I am being outbid, shouldn't  occasionally,  I be outbid by 10, 15, 20, on up to $100? This is never the case, there is always 1 more bid, never 2, or 3, or more.Always 1 more.This just seems very convenient.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

But even if you have shill bidders, the seller has to pay a percentage to Gunbroker. Good way to lose a lot of $

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Most likely guys have shill accounts to either up the bid or outbid if a particular gun will be sold cheaper than they expected
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Snipers and shills....

No different from ebay.

Just bid what you're willing to pay and if you win...cool. If not...oh well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I have used it twice - including for my Glock 19 Gen4. Was not rigged then at least. I did over pay a bit for my Mosin I have to admit, but it was in fantasticly awesome condition compared to the rest that were up for bid there at the time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Wow, I feel like  I am speaking Chinese  here.
The point I  trying to make, is even if I  bid on the auction 7 days, or 2 hrs before it closes, I am losing by $5.00, by 1 BIDDER.never more then 1.
For the love of God, I understand how the bidding works, the persons max bid, and the $5.00 increment  please don't say that again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#45]
If they get caught shilling they will lose their account.

I'd imagine there is some shilling going on, but it ain't the sites doing.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#46]
The 15 min rule is why I don't bid on there....Lots of room for shenanigans.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?FAQID=1036&NoCount=1

I put in the work when bidding and if I can't snipe I don't mess with it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ETA: The best bargains in online auctions are in "sleeper" items on which no one else bids. This is where your search skills come in. For example, sometimes sellers misspell the names of their items, so that searches don't pick them up. Try various misspellings. Other times, the sellers don't know exactly what they have.  Read the fine print of the description and look for discrepancies.
View Quote

this. i buy stuff off ebay a lot, and you can find great deals if you look for off the wall descriptions.

example... you want a pair of multicam pants...

multicam pants
multicam trousers
army pants
camo pants
military clothing
tactical pants
surplus pants

etc.... all of those might find you military issued multicam pants.... but the farther you get from " multicam pants" the better your chances of finding things few others see... and bid on.

misspellings as well.... example. you want glock parts

search for glock...... grock.... gock..... etc... you will be surprised how many times something will be hiding under a weird spelling.

also with ebay... you can check to see when the auction ends... sometimes people list shit at 3am.... and the auction will end at 3-4am when most people are asleep.. these can be great to snipe, as fewer people are awake to watch them..
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Snipers and shills....

No different from ebay.

Just bid what you're willing to pay and if you win...cool. If not...oh well.
View Quote
Please explain to me how someone snipes on Gunbroker and how it's no different than Ebay?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bid to an odd amount, that's slightly above your "max" and slightly above a common round-number cutoff point.  Example - if you only want to go up to $425, enter a max bid of $426.66.  I won my last auction that way by the skin of my teeth using exactly that tactic... the other bidder hit a round-number max bid and stopped probing, and I was less than $2 over that.
View Quote

I've won eBay auctions like that... Must hurt to lose something by a couple of cents when the minimum bid increment was $5... :)
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Man bids 20 dollars on 200 dollar item comes back in one week and says it must be rigged I got out bid and didn't watch the auction.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top