Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2015 11:50:04 PM EDT
I have been wondering for awhile how the A2 modification of the SA80 rifle is holding up. I know the earlier version was an unmitigated disaster.

I have heard that it is awfully heavy. But I was wondering if it is considered a serviceable weapon nowadays.

This is just personal curiosity. Even if these guns were available on the civilian market I wouldn't get one unless it was sub $400. I like bullpup rifles but I always thought the SA80 looked pug fugly.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]

I've often wished there were semi versions imported and available here.  From a collector standpoint, I've wanted one forever, aside from how they are built or perform, both pre and post HK.

I've heard there are one or two Title II NFA transferrable examples here in the States, but I have no idea if it's legend or truth.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the Forces guys seemed happy with them. That said, most really don't have much exposure to small arms other than their issue kit.

I'd love to get one, but every time I see one I always wonder  what kind of success it would have been had they just stuck with a stock Ar-180.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got some slightly underpowered Radway Green that I refuse to part with, in hopes that some way, somehow, a semi version will make it to our shores one day.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the Forces guys seemed happy with them. That said, most really don't have much exposure to small arms other than their issue kit.

I'd love to get one, but every time I see one I always wonder  what kind of success it would have been had they just stuck with a stock Ar-180.
View Quote

I think that might have worked out better. Just add a nice rounded charging handle and a more sturdy stock.

But there is always the temptation, no demand, to improve on functional designs. Even if your functional improvements lead to stupid places.

What I have often heard is that there was nothing inherently wrong with the design. Especially by the standards of the time. That the root of the problem was substandard materials and shoddy build quality. No design can overcome those kinds of handicaps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've often wished there were semi versions imported and available here.  From a collector standpoint, I've wanted one forever, aside from how they are built or perform, both pre and post HK.

I've heard there are one or two Title II NFA transferrable examples here in the States, but I have no idea if it's legend or truth.

View Quote

I have heard rumors of transferable guns and even a semiauto gun. But that's all, not even a picture. I seem to recall a thread in the bullpup forum talking about an outfit that wanted to make a semi version. But I think that was basically just some guy in a garage.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think that might have worked out better. Just add a nice rounded charging handle and a more sturdy stock.

But there is always the temptation, no demand, to improve on functional designs. Even if your functional improvements lead to stupid places.

What I have often heard is that there was nothing inherently wrong with the design. Especially by the standards of the time. That the root of the problem was substandard materials and shoddy build quality. No design can overcome those kinds of handicaps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you manage that with a gun, the AR-18, which was designed from the outset for nations with an industrial base far inferior to Britain?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How do you manage that with a gun, the AR-18, which was designed from the outset for nations with an industrial base far inferior to Britain?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well for one, you start with a receiver than is made from way too thin metal...

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The UK is the worlds most advanced developing nation.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Many of the guys I knew who served in Her Majesty's Forces seemed to like the L-85A2.  All agreed the earlier models were bags of shit.  One guy I knew said he saw one break in half while they were using it to play cricket on post one day.

When I was deployed years ago I helped some RAF armorers do the change over to the A2.  We met the C-130 and hauled all of the rifles to our armory where they stored their weapons with ours.  The artificers gave me a crash course on how the gun worked and how to strip it down.  I helped put on the SUSAT sights, slings and cleaned the rifles up as well.  I was going to help them BZO the rifles but I couldn't get the time off to go out with them.  

Overall, I liked the weapon and could tell the A2 was a dramatic improvement over the older models.  Many people poo poo this rifle but it seemed like a nice gun even though I'm not at all used to the way the gun was laid out.  I bet I could get used to it really quick though.  

Could MoD done better for the troops with this rifle?  Initally yes, but HK did wonders for the weapon and thankfully it wasn't a moment too soon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Always thought they were neat rifles. I'd buy one just to have if they weren't unobtainium, or horribly overpriced.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Many of the guys I knew who served in Her Majesty's Forces seemed to like the L-85A2.  All agreed the earlier models were bags of shit.  One guy I knew said he saw one break in half while they were using it to play cricket on post one day.
View Quote

They have some weird torture tests over there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrH3XiMR3KA

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know how there could be any transferable examples. The GCA of 1968 banned imported machineguns (except for non-transferable dealer samples), so the only way there could be a transferable one would be if one were made as a semi-auto, imported as such, and then converted by a US manufacturer into a full-auto.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

A much more elegant summation than I could come up with.

My family left England in the late 50s. And they left for various reasons.

The English wore their industrial base down to a nub after World War Two and they did not do much reinvestment in their factories.

Why would they when the government was nationalizing everything in sight.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
The SAS adopted the M-16.  That should tell you all you need to know about the SA-80/L-85
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guide in Africa descried a trip to a factory in England where a tractor operator was employed full time scooping metal shavings from a pile where a belt dropped them and dumping them in a dumpster. When he suggested pushing the bin over to rest under the belt and laying off the tractor operator, there was significant anger. He hates the English.

My cousins husband is a Londoner. He describes England as "a first rate city surrounded by a second rate country."
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The SAS adopted the M-16.  That should tell you all you need to know about the SA-80/L-85
View Quote

They used the AR-15 before the L-85 was invented and used it before it was called the M16 by the US Military. There is an article out there of a Royal Marine who was issued a C8, HK 417 and L85A2. He preferred the C8 of the three. No doubt the AR is a bit more flexible but the primary reason the L85A2 isn't used by UK SF is because you can't shoot it left handed without eating brass. After reading about people who used it, they said it was extremely reliable. One Austria guy I talked to hated the AUG but liked the L85A2 and found the trigger to be much better and the weapon much more accurate overall. From the sound of it, the A2 fixed the major problems with it. It still remains a heavy, expensive and in some ways odd weapon (that little nub charging handle looks terrible and those ACOG mounts look rather high). Serviceable, but I think there are better choices out there and probably why the SAS still uses ARs over the L85A2.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Left handed use isn't why the SAS uses M4s.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:29:43 AM EDT
[#20]
From what I understand the A2 upgrade fixed all the problems of the POS A1.

The A2 seems to have excellent reliability, take AR mags and "extremely accurate".

FYI the British M855 is not underpowered, it was loaded to a different pressure curve than US M855.  Apparently it's one of the hottest M855 loadings out there.

Some guy in the US was building some L85 copies, but something weird happened before any were ever sold.  I think US made, semi-auto A2s would sell well over here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:34:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some guy in the US was building some L85 copies, but something weird happened before any were ever sold.  I think US made, semi-auto A2s would sell well over here.
View Quote

I doubt it. There is some collector value but that isn't enough to move them. They would have to be $1000 or less if they want to sell a few thousand.

New thing I learned today. There is a 12.5" carbine model:
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:44:59 AM EDT
[#23]
problem is...they are garbage

there is a reason why EU upgraded to g36's and SIGs/m4's
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:59:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I doubt it. There is some collector value but that isn't enough to move them. They would have to be $1000 or less if they want to sell a few thousand.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/26925457446373fc6208d4a5dd8f2f35/tumblr_n3z89jApYk1skaxu8o1_1280.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/26925457446373fc6208d4a5dd8f2f35/tumblr_n3z89jApYk1skaxu8o1_1280.jpg

I was lookin at the rifle in this pic when it occurred to me the background was oddly familiar...then I realized that's the Iranian border crossing east of Basra; been there a few times...small world
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

From everything I've read they're better than a G-36. UK doesn't use SIGs as far as I know. And UK is different from the EU.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:28:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, what?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:35:51 AM EDT
[#27]

LOL! What is that from?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:52:03 AM EDT
[#28]
My company got two weeks on these this past summer.

Heavier than an M4, and a little more awkward to carry around in hand, but slung with the gear, it was pretty handy. Shorter OAL obviously.

Sights are pretty crude compared to a M4. We didn't shoot them a ton, but reliability was fine, even with blanks. Manual of arms is different, and more complex.

The main, distinct, advantage, is that the safe selector is separate from the Semi/Auto selector. So, you can have your weapon set to Auto, and go on and off safe, which would be a huge advantage in certain scenarios. The M4 is a pain to go back and forth between safe/burst, or safe/auto.

Not one of my Marines wanted to switch from M4s to SA80s, but in similar exchanges, plenty of the Brits wanted to go to the AR platform...
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:58:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My guide in Africa descried a trip to a factory in England where a tractor operator was employed full time scooping metal shavings from a pile where a belt dropped them and dumping them in a dumpster. When he suggested pushing the bin over to rest under the belt and laying off the tractor operator, there was significant anger. He hates the English.

My cousins husband is a Londoner. He describes England as "a first rate city surrounded by a second rate country."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is interesting because everyone who isn't a Londoner says the same, just the opposite way around.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask the Germans, they managed to fuck up making an AR-18 copy despite having decades of experience building stamped steel weapons. Then claim innovation by adding the AR-18's gas system to the M4, something that Taiwan has fielded since the '70s.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LOL! What is that from?
View All Quotes

Japanese show called upotte its really weird lol
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOL! What is that from?
View All Quotes

UPOTTE! It's about girls that are the anthropomorphic representations of guns who go to a special school for their kind.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:03:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Which is interesting because everyone who isn't a Londoner says the same, just the opposite way around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked the Southeast, I didn't care for the rest of it. Honestly. And the people in the southwest were rude.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:40:49 AM EDT
[#34]
they are pretty accurate and there are some semi autos that came in. It's not a rumor but they are incredibly rare.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. The M25 orbital should be its own country.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I liked the Southeast, I didn't care for the rest of it. Honestly. And the people in the southwest were rude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny. I had the opposite experience. About the only place I didn't go was Wales. But, I felt I was treated very decently in Paris, sooooo.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I remember an exchange officer with the 16th Air Assault Bde, saying the L85A2 was an M4 appreciation exercise.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LOL, what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, what?

No kidding. I recall seeing something recently about the Germans planning to dump the G36 due to reliability and accuracy issues.  What military is issuing a Sig version of the M4? (M400 maybe?)

I've fired the G36 and both the original and modified versions of the L85, as well as a lot of other foreign weapons in my career.  Admittedly, I'd like to change the selector to a 45 degree semi/ 90 auto, and free float a more accurate barrel, but other than that, I'd stay with the M4A1.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Did an OP mission in 08' on Safwon Hill in Southern Iraq. The Brits holding the hill were awesome. We would finger each other's rifle etc. in our down time. One dude's SA80 safety selector had broken off at some point and he hadn't realized it until he went to show how to use it. Completely deadlined. Was not a good feeling for him I imagine.

The post reticle in the scope is really big I remember. Not s bad rifle but even they wished for M4s. With an ACOG and PEQ2 it still seemed much lighter and handier.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which is why Germany is abandoning the G36 due to design issues that cause problems with accuracy and reliability huh?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
they are pretty accurate and there are some semi autos that came in. It's not a rumor but they are incredibly rare.

View Quote

At least one arfommer owns one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
UPOTTE! It's about girls that are the anthropomorphic representations of guns who go to a special school for their kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyPH182_HEY

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What the hell does that mean Wang? huh? Anthropomorphic, I don't even know what the hell that means...

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What the hell does that mean Wang? huh? Anthropomorphic, I don't even know what the hell that means...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It means they are girls, but at the same time they are also guns. As said above a reaaaaly freaking weird show. A bizarre premise that goes off in some really bizarre directions.

And if that isn't weird enough have a look at what some of the fans of that show do.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My head hurts just looking at how close that barrel is to your face.  The concussion would clear your sinuses.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, and how are those G36s working out?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No kidding. I recall seeing something recently about the Germans planning to dump the G36 due to reliability and accuracy issues.  What military is issuing a Sig version of the M4? (M400 maybe?)

I've fired the G36 and both the original and modified versions of the L85, as well as a lot of other foreign weapons in my career.  Admittedly, I'd like to change the selector to a 45 degree semi/ 90 auto, and free float a more accurate barrel, but other than that, I'd stay with the M4A1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, what?

not SigM4s, SAN Sig 551,2,3
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My head hurts just looking at how close that barrel is to your face.  The concussion would clear your sinuses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a dream once that I used one to hunt an active shooter in a school.

All I did was cover a bunch of kids escape. I didn't fire it and I seem to recall thinking that I really didn't want to pull the trigger on this thing. I think it is mostly used by helicopter crew.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#48]
When we were in Afghanistan with the Royal Marines we got to finger fuck all their guns including the SA80A2 with ACOG and I think PEQ15. I'm 5'7" and had an M16A4 so I liked the compactness but it does feel heavier.

Their opinion was they generally didn't care for it and wished for our M16A4 and M4. Then again we loved their MRE and they loved ours which says alot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Funny. I had the opposite experience. About the only place I didn't go was Wales. But, I felt I was treated very decently in Paris, sooooo.
View Quote

I had no issue with people in Paris but in two weeks there I didn't meet any Frenchmen just expatriates and immigrants.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This. The M25 orbital should be its own country.
View Quote

My Indian-English friend says very directly "I don't go outside the M25." But she's a girly girl and a city girl.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top