Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2015 10:03:35 PM EDT
Haven't seen any real negative reviews of the 8" 5-speed model.  With the 20% off and sales tax it'd be around $42.50 out the door.  

I haven't had a chance to put my work bench together but I'm thinking one of these, my wire wheel/grinder, and a good vice will be a good start.  

Anyone have experience with it?  

Also, will it serve the same purpose as an arbor press to let me stamp out gas checks?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't used that one, I have the $130 Skil from Lowes on my workbench. For $40 you can't go too wrong, it's a good starting point. It is NOT an arbor press. The gears and handles aren't designed for that kind of force.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't used that one, I have the $130 Skil from Lowes on my workbench. For $40 you can't go too wrong, it's a good starting point. It is NOT an arbor press. The gears and handles aren't designed for that kind of force.
View Quote

Ok, so two very different tools and it sounds like trying to use it as one to stamp out gas checks would screw up the gearing.  I was thinking the same thing about the price...

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using a benchtop HF drillpress for 18 years.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
$42.50 out the door, sounds well constructed

Garage Journal Forums is the ARF of garage stuff & tools, they even have a HF pass/fail thread, I would look there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you drilling into/through
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I was actually in the same exact boat today, ended up with 43$ and some pennies out the door. Needed it for some very light wood work and for drilling cork.

After doing some research, all the 8 inchers are the same exact press with different paint. I was thinking about getting the WEN because of the 1 year warranty, which is 65$ shipped on amazon, but the warranty requires you to ship it to bumblefuck, nowhere. Probably would cost 65$ to ship it there. So I thought, if something is wrong, it'll be wrong immediately and I can just return it.

Two issues with it:

1. When you hit the stop, it twists to the side. I actually saw someone demonstrate this on a youtube review of some brand 8" press. The hole is bigger than the threaded rod, and that allows it to move at the stop. You could probably find a way to fix this.

2. The quill has play in it when extended. This is hit or miss, and from reading reviews, all the brands have this issue (because they are all the same damn press).

I'm going to box mine up and exchange it for a new one, and if that one is fucked up, I'll just fix it and live with it for being a 40$ press. It's kind of a piece of shit, but they all are. Cons of everything being made in china.

Overall, for 40$, buy it if you need it for light duty use, and are realistic with your expectations.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was actually in the same exact boat today, ended up with 43$ and some pennies out the door. Needed it for some very light wood work and for drilling cork.

After doing some research, all the 8 inchers are the same exact press with different paint. I was thinking about getting the WEN because of the 1 year warranty, which is 65$ shipped on amazon, but the warranty requires you to ship it to bumblefuck, nowhere. Probably would cost 65$ to ship it there. So I thought, if something is wrong, it'll be wrong immediately and I can just return it.

Two issues with it:

1. When you hit the stop, it twists to the side. I actually saw someone demonstrate this on a youtube review of some brand 8" press. The hole is bigger than the threaded rod, and that allows it to move at the stop. You could probably find a way to fix this.

2. The quill has play in it when extended. This is hit or miss, and from reading reviews, all the brands have this issue (because they are all the same damn press).

I'm going to box mine up and exchange it for a new one, and if that one is fucked up, I'll just fix it and live with it for being a 40$ press. It's kind of a piece of shit, but they all are. Cons of everything being made in china.

Overall, for 40$, buy it if you need it for light duty use, and are realistic with your expectations.
View Quote

The quill has a lot of ply!
Trunnion locator fixtures are useless with these drills.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got one of their benchtop presses. Its OK for general work, but too sloppy for any precision work. Has a fair amount of run out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's about equivalent to the TSC one I have.

It will drill holes in shit, I use mine all the time, it's not the most well built machine in the world, but it drills holes just fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Haven't seen any real negative reviews of the 8" 5-speed model.  With the 20% off and sales tax it'd be around $42.50 out the door.  

I haven't had a chance to put my work bench together but I'm thinking one of these, my wire wheel/grinder, and a good vice will be a good start.  

Also, will it serve the same purpose as an arbor press to let me stamp out gas checks?

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote
I have one. It's OK for around the house stuff, strap steel and the like, but I've never tried using it for an 80% lower or anything precision.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have that model about 2 years now. Not bad. I've drilled 0.5" holes in 1/4" plate steel with it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Two issues with it:

View Quote

I've seen the vid you are talking about.  The guy compares the $50 8" with the $130-ish 10".  I'm curious what the fix would be for the twist?  I was planning on keeping mine boxed up until after I built my work bench but it sounds like a bad idea if it's a 50%-ish chance of getting one of the ones with twist at stop.  I mean by that logic, I'd need to assemble it out in the parking lot and walk it back in when it's defective.  But I believe they give you 90 days to exchange it...not sure on that.  

Thanks for sharing.

EDIT:  If the stop produces a tilt that isn't seen prior to that point, it would seem that the stop is itself creating a pivot point.  Means either avoid relying on the stop or make a counter point to prevent it from pivoting somehow...no?

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had one for about 3-4 years.  Did a number of projects on it, mostly metal/aluminum work including 80% lowers.  It works fine for most work and youw go slow- key is quality bits in my opinion.  Hard to find decent bits except mail order/online and professional supply places.  I've gtten well past my money's worth out of it.  That being said I would like a bigger one, as my needs are changing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Between the terms here and "run out" in the next reply....some clarification would be much appreciated so I know what to look for once I buy mine.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had one for about 3-4 years.  Did a number of projects on it, mostly metal/aluminum work including 80% lowers.  It works fine for most work and youw go slow- key is quality bits in my opinion.  Hard to find decent bits except mail order/online and professional supply places.  I've gtten well past my money's worth out of it.  That being said I would like a bigger one, as my needs are changing.
View Quote

Does yours do the twist/tilt when you hit the stop point?  

As for the 80%'s....I have plenty of lowers I still haven't built up so not overly interested in paying $50+ for an 80% when the finished lowers are less than $40....but I'm curious, how precise is this drill when doing the lowers?  Did you use a jig?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Between the terms here and "run out" in the next reply....some clarification would be much appreciated so I know what to look for once I buy mine.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Quill play is "slop" (ability to wiggle around) in the spindle. As the spindle is advanced, this tends to be a compounding problem. Run out is the spindle not spinning true. It makes a drill bit "walk" when trying to get a hole started. This is especially important when working with metals.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quill play is "slop" (ability to wiggle around) in the spindle. As the spindle is advanced, this tends to be a compounding problem. Run out is the spindle not spinning true. It makes a drill bit "walk" when trying to get a hole started. This is especially important when working with metals.
View Quote

I greatly appreciate the info.  

I went to HF and bought one.  With coopins I paid $42 and walked out with a drill press and 9 led flashlight.  

They said the return/exchange time (MUST have receipt) is 90 days.  But for a project tonight my son and I will sit and assemble it then test it out.  Any wobbles or hitches and it'll be exchanged tomorrow.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]
12 spd, 10 inch for $110 has over 1/2 inch wobble when fullyextended.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Shit...for $40 what are you complaining about. Warranty? Who the hell cares...Take it to the scrapyard and buy another one and your money ahead.
It's not the worst deal if your going to use it a few days a year sinking holes in wood or a few steel plates.

If you want a real heavy duty drill press, be prepared to spend at least a few hundred for a decent used one.

I use an old 1950's 17" Delta...$40 will buy a decent set of bearings for it...
Took me a while to find one in good condition, but I finally did.

If anyone is thinking about buying an older press. be prepared to spend a little time cleaning it up, and replacing the bearings, etc.
The owners manuals, parts diagrams and how to write-ups are out there.
After a rebuild, an older press can provide years of good service if you treat it right (not using it as a mill or a drum sander..no side loads....just use it to drill holes).

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#22]
My little $59 HF drill press finally shot craps after almost 10 years, and I used to beat the hell out of that thing. $42 will be worth it I think.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I use one for drilling FP and endcaps on my F1 cans

seem to be concentric enough
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I use the 12 speed benchtop model for knife making.  I can drill through annealed 1/4" 1095 on the lowest speed with 1/4" bits easily.

The biggest issue I had was with the chuck.  The chuck wouldn't hold 1/8" bits properly and they had a lot of run out.  I replaced the chuck with one off Amazon for ~$30, I think it was a B27 taper, and the run out problems went away.

If mine craps out I'd buy another one and just swap the chuck.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A DP should be a lifetime investment, so you are better off finding a Rockwell Delta like the one just above.  They can be had used for $100-200 on CraigsList.  

One thing not mentioned is the need for a three-pulley model for drilling in metal.  Two pulleys are only good for wood, as they won't turn slowly enough for steel.
View Quote

Some models used two pulleys...mine has a large front pulley.

http://vintagemachinery.org/files/PDF/FAQ/DrillPress.pdf
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

A DP should be a lifetime investment, so you are better off finding a Rockwell Delta like the one just above.
 They can be had used for $100-200 on CraigsList.  

One thing not mentioned is the need for a three-pulley model for drilling in metal.  Two pulleys are only good for wood, as they won't turn slowly enough for steel.
View Quote

This.

I have a 1940's era Atlas/Delta/Rockwell/sears and they are bulletproof and accurate with no vibrations.

I added a DC motor and drive and I have fwd/rev, variable speed, 100% torque at 0rpms. I have drilled 1" holes and it will easily power tap 3/8-16 with a gun tap.

Mine is also a table top model, not as easy to find but more rigid.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought one and used it to open a gas port that was just a bit small and causing short strokes on my 10.5 sbr.  Using it once paid for itself over taking it to my local gunsmith who had a 9 month turnaround time on any work.  I've also used it to dimple barrels for gas lock set screws on two other barrels.  

For anything requiring more precise work I'd be hesitant.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Shit...for $40 what are you complaining about. Warranty? Who the hell cares...Take it to the scrapyard and buy another one and your money ahead.
It's not the worst deal if your going to use it a few days a year sinking holes in wood or a few steel plates.

If you want a real heavy duty drill press, be prepared to spend at least a few hundred for a decent used one.

I use an old 1950's 17" Delta...$40 will buy a decent set of bearings for it...
Took me a while to find one in good condition, but I finally did.

If anyone is thinking about buying an older press. be prepared to spend a little time cleaning it up, and replacing the bearings, etc.
The owners manuals, parts diagrams and how to write-ups are out there.
After a rebuild, an older press can provide years of good service if you treat it right (not using it as a mill or a drum sander..no side loads....just use it to drill holes).

http://i63.tinypic.com/98c64x.jpg
View Quote

This is the correct answer......I've got a HF press, and a 1947 Atlas 15" press in the garage........there is no comparison between the two......

Use the HF for popping holes in wood, plastic, and your wifes "projects".....

buy some vintage US made machinery for real work.......
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the HF press and the first gripe I have is the 2" quill travel.  It can be a pain to get everything stacked just right to drill through anything thicker than sheet metal.  

I'd hate to do something requiring any kind of precision on it.  For that I use a milling machine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I had one.  The only thing it was good for was processing brass.  I gave it away and picked up a very nice craftsman floor model on Craigslist.    I mainly work with metal, so I needed something with some low speed torque and little chuck movement.  

If you are patient, you can get good deals on quality tools off craigslist.  That's how I've obtained all my more expensive tools.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]

A drill press never has been a precision instrument, but you can make (nearly)perfectly placed and sized holes with one.  Lay it all out, center punch it, spot drill it, and use a good sharp drill and you'll be surprised what the $40 bastard can do.

Yes the quill travel sucks, not much you can do there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've got one of their benchtop presses. Its OK for general work, but too sloppy for any precision work. Has a fair amount of run out.
View Quote

Yes the run-out is unacceptable for any thing remotely requiring precision. Having said that I've gotten good use out of mine over the last few years in light duty. Of course it helps that I put a drill press vice on the table.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

A DP should be a lifetime investment, so you are better off finding a Rockwell Delta like the one just above.  They can be had used for $100-200 on CraigsList.  

View Quote

This post nails it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes the run-out is unacceptable for any thing remotely requiring precision. Having said that I've gotten good use out of mine over the last few years in light duty. Of course it helps that I put a drill press vice on the table.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, a vise is a must! I center punch all my metals too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#36]
They work and if it breaks just get a new one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:...

Also, will it serve the same purpose as an arbor press to let me stamp out gas checks?...
View Quote

That sounds interesting

How are you making gas checks ?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#38]
FWIW, when I replaced my old drill press, I went with the Northern Tool mid-length (too short to be on the floor, too tall to be bench top, so I build a custom stand for it). Seems to be better quality than the HF, although I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the same factory.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's the set-up your going to need if you want any precision out of it...

Mine's a Ryobi 12" benchtop model that I added a Phase II cross slide milling table and angle vise. Yes, it has some run out and slop in the quill...this can be minimized by centerpunching the metal you intend to drill (if possible), or you need to use a center drill ( very very short drill bit) and run the setup as close as possible to the fully retracted position of the quill. Also use the shortest (they're called "screw length") drill bits you can buy, "jobber length" drill bits are longer and will flex or bow when under any pressure causing bit to want to walk or the hole to wander as you drill thru thicker material. If drilling hardened metal buy cobalt bits. A DP is capable of doing good work within it's limits, it's mostly in how you set it up. Get the unit with the slowest speed you can find for working with metal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Well I broke down and bought the $40 drill press at harbor freight. I'm still holding out for a good deal on an old school atlas or something and needed something to get me by. The two things that stood out are that the base and work surface are stamped, not cast, and also the installation of the chuck. it's a $40 drill press for sure. Still, I fired it up and messed around by making a storage thing for cr123a batteries out of some 2x4 scrap. I think I'll get a lot of use out of this thing until I get my dream drill press.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That sounds interesting

View Quote

I'll be buying the Free Chex II (or is it III now ?).  But it looks like I'll be buying the HF 1/2 ton or maybe 1 ton arbor press for it.  

After the initial cost of the press and Free Chex...it's just a matter of using soda cans, metal sheets, etc. to stamp out as many as you want.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'll be buying the Free Chex II (or is it III now ?).  But it looks like I'll be buying the HF 1/2 ton or maybe 1 ton arbor press for it.  

After the initial cost of the press and Free Chex...it's just a matter of using soda cans, metal sheets, etc. to stamp out as many as you want.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds interesting

-Emt1581

that's pretty cool, after I saw this post, I googled around and found it.

Also found  a post on cast boolits forum about this....

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Well my son and I assembled it.  Even got his first pic using a drill press and then pointing to his first drilled hole.  Not bad for 4 years old.

Now as far as the press....it's definitely a cheap piece of shit.  No bones about it.  

The base and work surface are indeed stamped plus the leveling/angling markings seem to be off by a good 5 degrees.  When the stop is used any farther down than a 1/4" from 0 it's basically useless.  There's a PLASTIC loop connecting the chuck to the stop...that bends something terrible if the stop is actually used.  I think keeping it all the way up at the top just goes the same distance that the press would natrually go and stop at without it.  Something weird I noticed....and almost boxed it up and took it back because I figured it was one of the bad ones... but when there's nothing being drilled through and it's just air, the bit will travel forward 2-3mm's when pushed all the way down.  However, when drilling into, say, a 2x4, that travel either doesn't happen or there's no force behind it so the hole stays straight.  I think moving the table up and down would serve much better as a stop rather than relying on the stop which is liable to cause all sorts of problems.

Now I'm tempted to order an 80% polymer or aluminum lower just to screw around with it and see if this will actually make a shootable receiver.  Anyone know where the cheapest ones are to order??

For $42, this should let me do basic jobs just fine so I'm happy.  Not tossing the receipt though.  That way if it craps out 2-3 months from now I can still get a brand new one.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Now as far as the press....it's definitely a cheap piece of shit.  No bones about it.  
View Quote

Indeed. Looking at mine, I'm going to find a flanged bushing so I can make the OD of the threaded rod that is the stop actually match the diameter of the hole it rides through.

But its 40$. Like I said earlier, all the 8 inchers are the same damn press, so better pay 40$ and actually be able to return/exchange it locally rather than 100$ for a name brand slapped onto the same POS.

However, I am cruising CL for old atlas/rockwell/buffalo presses to restore so I have something that isn't a piece of shit. But I'll for sure get my monies out of this thing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

I've got one that I paid $30 for almost twenty years ago.  I've abused it good, it still runs great.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#46]

I bought a cheapo HF drill press.

It would only drill triangle shaped holes. I took it back.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, that would be nice, but I do it by using cutting oil and going as slow as I can. Nice carbide bits help too.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I bought a cheapo HF drill press.

It would only drill triangle shaped holes. I took it back.

View Quote

That's not your drill press, that's your drill.  I bet it was thin stock, thickness less than 1/2 drill diameter?  Your basic 118*/135* drill has geometry to cut into wood or thick metals, but thin metal stock likes to grab drills.  The drills are flexy and the stock isn't thick enough for them to work properly/guide themselves.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I've used a HF press for the past 5 years to trim 223 brass in conjunction with a possum hollow trimmer.  I've used it a lot and it has held up fine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had a Central Machinery benchtop drill press for about 30 years now.  CM is the equivalent to HF today.

The two biggest problems I had with it was the lack of height of the drill press column and the shitty Taiwanese motor.

I fixed the column problem by replacing it with one that was about 50% longer and filling it with concrete so it was more stable and less wobbly.

I fixed the motor problem by shoe-horning a real 1/2 hp motor.  It works great now.

Pics:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top