Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2015 8:23:04 PM EDT
Now that I have got my son thru his motocross carreer, (almost made it pro) and getting him and my daughter thru college I'm ready to get back on a bike. Wife and I plan to do some trips so I have decided on a Concours. Test drove my first one today. An 08 with 29k miles. Runs strong and smooth, shifts great but it had a couple small issues. Going to look at some more before making a decision. Any owners here?
ETA Well went to the dealer test drove several including an 2 FJR's and one Goldwing. Ended up with a black 2012 concours. I rode it 1-1/2 hours home and love this thing! Yee haaaw!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
That 08 is the new model, correct? The 1300cc. one.

I have had a Couple of the older model, a '87, and a 04.

IMHO best bike for the buck out there.

They go, they stop, they go round corners, and carry a load.

Will do 100+ all day long, 2 up with camping gear.

Comfortable to ride, I have done several 24hr+ days.

Comfortable for a passenger too. My ex used to fall asleep all the time on the back.

I threatened to bungee her to the backrest.

Seriously considered a newer one, but based on all info, stay away from the first 3 years of the newer model.

Great owners club - COG - Concours Owners Group.

Original model - carbs, no electronics - you can fix anything yourself, not that they break.

New model - fuel injection, lots of electronic everything, take it to a dealer.

go spend some time on the COG site / forum, the arfcom of concours.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
'08 ABS and a '12 here.

Do my own work on them with the exception of anything which requires a KDS3 diagnostics set and I'll eventually spring for one.

Love those bikes. The earlier series (08-09) ran significantly hotter in the cockpit area than the 10-up models do...thus making the '08 my go-to machine for cold weather rides.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Had one.  Here's my take....

Look closely at front brake rotors.  The C14 eats them up.  Many replaced under warranty.

Original Bridgestone tires that are OEM suck.  The tires aren't up to the weight of the connie.  I ended up on Michelin Road pilots and they were MUCH better.  The OEM sidewalls are too weak, giving the bike a vague, uncertain feeling.

Heat:  My right ankle would COOK due to engine heat being channeled to the ankle.  Ever so slightly changing the windscreen position helped.

The bike was a rocketship.  Near unlimited power.  74mph in first gear, low 90's in second when you redlined the bike.  Top speed is likely warp 3.  However, I didn't really like the bike...  At the usual 60 mph you can do on 55mph highways here, the connie felt slow.  I had the sensation I could get off and walk faster.  I didn't want to speed, but found myself all too frequently booking along a 85-90.  The bike starts to come to live at 75 +.  At 55 you never really get out of 3rd gear.

Recalls: There was a side bag latch recall.  Don't know about others.

Mine was an 08....  Hence the heat.  HOT mofo,,,,,,

If you haven't owned a super sport tourer before, be ready for some changes.  Fuel economy riding at 55-60 sedately was 44-45 mpg.  Riding "with enthusiasm" would end up with about 28-30 MPG.  Tires are about 2000-2500 miles front, maybe 4000 rear and I'm not talking stunting here.  You use more cash per mile for rubber that you do for gas.  

The bike was incredible for power and speed but I guess Im not a sport bike guy.  I went smaller (BMW F650GS) and Im happier.  I cruise along at 60-70 mph on twisties and I feel like Im doing 65-70.  The connie just didn't really wake up unless I was hammering along at "go to jail" speeds.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't this basically a Ninja with saddlebags?  I think they are bad ass!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't this basically a Ninja with saddlebags?  I think they are bad ass!
View Quote

No.

The Connie gets better every year.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#7]
All,good info! Thanks for posting. The one I rode today had warped rotors and a bad tire sensor but the price was decent at 5500 OBO. I don't think I'll buy it. So the 08 is significantly hotter than, say a 2011?  Sounds like I may be miserable in the Georgia heat.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Same engine was in the 87 ZX900 Ninja. Top Gun Bike. I have one in the garage. Bulletproof cruiser that would still do a Buck Fifty.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

snip

maybe 400 rear and I'm not talking stunting here.  You use more cash per mile for rubber that you do for gas.  

View Quote

What????
A new rear every 400?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All,good info! Thanks for posting. The one I rode today had warped rotors and a bad tire sensor but the price was decent at 5500 OBO. I don't think I'll buy it. So the 08 is significantly hotter than, say a 2011?  Sounds like I may be miserable in the Georgia heat.
View Quote

Yes, it is. 10-up is what you want for your area if the majority of your riding is in the warmer months.

I've had my '08 out when the temp was 4F. Heated jacket, gloves, California Scientific tall windshield, jeans, leather lowers over them and a set of riding boots plus helmet was all I needed to stay warm that day. However, in 90+ degree weather I'll cuss that sonovabitch to no end if I'm wearing jeans or leathers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What????
A new rear every 400?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

maybe 400 rear and I'm not talking stunting here.  You use more cash per mile for rubber that you do for gas.  

What????
A new rear every 400?

I've got 7k on my '12's stock Bridgestones and can probably get around 1500 more before replacement time.

The '08 has a set of Pilot Road IIs. Around 8k on them and probably 2k of highway miles left.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What????
A new rear every 400?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

What????
A new rear every 400?

he probably forgot another zero, 4000
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

What????
A new rear every 400?

I was sort of assuming so, but he said 2 or 2.5k from the fronts. It's usually a 2:1 back to front replacement ratio for me.
4k from a rear isn't great but not horrible.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Get black.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, it is. 10-up is what you want for your area if the majority of your riding is in the warmer months.

I've had my '08 out when the temp was 4F. Heated jacket, gloves, California Scientific tall windshield, jeans, leather lowers over them and a set of riding boots plus helmet was all I needed to stay warm that day. However, in 90+ degree weather I'll cuss that sonovabitch to no end if I'm wearing jeans or leathers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good. Well not really. It's costing me more money. Ha Ha. May have to ck out a new one because they aren't much more than a low mile 2011
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Every owner I have met swears by them. I have two Ducs and have actually thought about trading my Multistrada for a Connie.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]

If I  were to ever buy a bike again, it would no doubt be a concours.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Might want to swing a leg over an FJR before you buy the kawi....
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I rode my 08 in NY summers.  northern NY.  And i hated riding it at anything over 80 degrees.  Literally i'd be contorting my right foot position and holding the for out in air stream to stop the sensation of my ankle cooking.  It was retarded.  And it wasn't radiating heat....  it was channelled air flow over the  engine to that right ankle.

And I am an idiot.  4000.  not 400.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm bummed about the heat issues. Thought I had my next ride picked out within my budget. We will just have to pay a little more to get away from the foot cooker.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Mine too. Always loved that bike. Also the Honda XX
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now that I have got my son thru his motocross carreer, (almost made it pro) and getting him and my daughter thru college I'm ready to get back on a bike. Wife and I plan to do some trips so I have decided on a Concours. Test drove my first one today. An 08 with 29k miles. Runs strong and smooth, shifts great but it had a couple small issues. Going to look at some more before making a decision. Any owners here?
View Quote

Had the first year (beta tester) of the C-14.
Actually a hell of a bike for the money. Some of the early ones had some tranny issues (klunk when you rotate rear wheel in neutral on center stand is a warning sign).   My biggest problem with it was too much wind protection and the resulting heat as I moved to Vegas a couple of years after I bought it. But I also had a larger after market shield on it to get done quieter air at speed. It's usually a trade off.  
My nits to pick would be the whole key fob deal. Answer to a question I never asked. Expensive to replace if you happen to lose both of them.
Lots of guys mod them with mods to the "butterfly's" as they are de tuned at lower RPMs as stock. I did not see the need.
Only thing mine did not have that I would have liked was a true cruise control function. They may have added this later.

I had the ABS version which I'd highly recommend.
Again a great bike for the money. Bullet proof in a lot of ways.
There was a good Concours site out there when I had mine. Assume it's still around. Lots of really good info there as well as a classified section.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Found a dealership 1-1/2 hour away that has several 2011-12 Concours. Going to look today.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm riding smaller and lighter for a while (KLR650 and Versys650)...but when I add another, this one is on my list.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Couple years ago I was looking at them really seriously.  I already had a GSX-R that I intended to keep, I just wanted something comfortable for two up riding.  

In my case, when I was completely honest with myself, I went with a GL1800.   Since I was needing a two up bike, I got a real two up bike.  You should try one.  They handle way better than they ever should, have 100ft lbs of torque ANY time you twist the throttle, vibration free and damn near silent.  

With a middle aged couple in full gear on a Goldwing, you are damn near invisible to police.  Add a good detector, and 90mph is our comfortable cruise speed.

Women REALLY like having a trunk to use as a road side traveling make up counter.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Might want to swing a leg over an FJR before you buy the kawi....
View Quote

Definitely.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Went to the dealer, test drove several including a couple FJR's and one Goldwing. Went with a 2012 black concours 7700 miles on the clock. Drove it 1-1/2 hours home and I love this thing!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Pics please.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pics please.
View Quote

I can't for the life of me figure out photbucket with this iPad but I'll try. Looks just like the black one someone posted earlier.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I can't for the life of me figure out photbucket with this iPad but I'll try. Looks just like the black one someone posted earlier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics please.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I test drove a FJR1300, 2009 Concours, and a 2009 GSF1250SA Suzuki Bandit. The Bandit was the best of the bunch IMO.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Went to the dealer, test drove several including a couple FJR's and one Goldwing. Went with a 2012 black concours 7700 miles on the clock. Drove it 1-1/2 hours home and I love this thing!!
View Quote

Glad you tried them all and bought the one you liked.

Welcome to the SST*super sport touring* club!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Congrats OP.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
The FJR was a contender but it boiled down to 3 things price being the main factor. The FJR felt kinda low to the ground to me for some reason and no 6th gear. Not a big deal. The Kawi just fit me a little better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#35]
photobucket.com/user/romax_bucket/library/Concours?sort=3&page=1
Does this work? Hell I can motorcycle pretty good but can't computer for crap.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like you did good. Enjoy.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Had one,  loved it. Rode it in 100 degree heat,  wore boots,  no issues other than trying not to pass out.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That 08 is the new model, correct? The 1300cc. one.

I have had a Couple of the older model, a '87, and a 04.

IMHO best bike for the buck out there.
View Quote

Nope. That would be mine..................  

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#39]
New bike day is always a good day. Get us some pics man!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Obviously my copy and paste from photbucket didn't work. What did I do wrong?
http://s850.photobucket.com/user/romax_bucket/library/Concours?sort=3&page=1
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When  I paste that link I get 4 small photos of the bike.
Here is one of them
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I've always liked those. it's amazing that I have never ended up on one. Excellent bikes!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I'll try one more time. Damn I'm computer illiterate!
http://s850.photobucket.com/user/romax_bucket/media/Concours/image_3.png.html
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I also get small .png file pics when I load into a browser...none the less, Nice Ride
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I also get small .png file pics when I load into a browser...none the less, Nice Ride
View Quote
Yep, I too tried to post from OP's photobucket, and they all seem to me very small pics.  But sweet nonetheless.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yep, I too tried to post from OP's photobucket, and they all seem to me very small pics.  But sweet nonetheless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well, I give up.  Desktop down and trying from iPad. Sorry fellas.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#47]

OP...from what I can see...looks something like this one. Nice ride...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#48]
It's time to start "farkling" your bike as they say on the Connie forums.

Look up Phil Hamm and have him set you up with one of his aluminum tail racks with Givi trunk mounts. Next, a V46L in gloss black with a passenger backrest pad and a top rack (your wife will thank me). A Fenda Extenda for your front fender keeps rocks out of the radiator and a set of Kawasaki accessory wind deflectors for the sides of the upper fairing give a bit more wind protection. Lastly, a set of peg and bar extenders for driver position (if needed) and for passenger (ditto). I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and definitely needed to open up the driver position on both. Stock is waaayyyy cramped.

I installed a set of Clearwater Lights "Glenda" fork lights and twin HID headlights (hi/lo beam type) on each of mine. They also have JMCB2003 CBs and FTM10-SR ham rigs (I'm an amateur radio operator, and so are a number of my riding buddies).

Next year or the year after I'm going to get a Sargent and possibly a Russell Day-Long saddle set. I can swap these two or the remaining stock seat back and forth depending on the type of riding I'll be doing that day.

Congrats, OP!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#49]
When they put cruse control on I will bite..until then I am eyeballing a FJR to park next to my Ultra Classic.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's time to start "farkling" your bike as they say on the Connie forums.

Look up Phil Hamm and have him set you up with one of his aluminum tail racks with Givi trunk mounts. Next, a V46L in gloss black with a passenger backrest pad and a top rack (your wife will thank me). A Fenda Extenda for your front fender keeps rocks out of the radiator and a set of Kawasaki accessory wind deflectors for the sides of the upper fairing give a bit more wind protection. Lastly, a set of peg and bar extenders for driver position (if needed) and for passenger (ditto). I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and definitely needed to open up the driver position on both. Stock is waaayyyy cramped.

I installed a set of Clearwater Lights "Glenda" fork lights and twin HID headlights (hi/lo beam type) on each of mine. They also have JMCB2003 CBs and FTM10-SR ham rigs (I'm an amateur radio operator, and so are a number of my riding buddies).

Next year or the year after I'm going to get a Sargent and possibly a Russell Day-Long saddle set. I can swap these two or the remaining stock seat back and forth depending on the type of riding I'll be doing that day.

Congrats, OP!
View Quote

Thanks.
I have already been looking for those accessories. With the windshield down wind hits me right in the chest and all the way up hits me right in the face shield so def need a talker one. My wife has already asked about a luggage/backrest. Bar risers and pegs are on the list as well. I'll ck out the wind deflectors too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top