Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2015 8:10:03 PM EDT
Considering the hundreds or thousands that are ever involved in actual combat, is there a count of how many are actually hit on the body armor where it would be a traumatic injury otherwise?
I know there are after action's filed, but how much of it is ever disclosed for study to the public? How many are injured despite the wearing of the battle rattle?
I guess my point is, how useful is it considering how heavy and cumbersome it is to wear? Would the greater mobility and comfort level outweigh the odds of it ever saving one's life?
I wore it when required as a contractor overseas and I despised it. It definitely limited one's mobility and was miserable to wear during the summer months of the M.E.
I know some wore flak vests during Vietnam where it was miserably hot and miserably humid, I heard most of them sat on them while in choppers or on top of APC's for extra protection.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a marine was saved by his helmet after getting shot by a sniper.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
it only needs to once

I would guess at least weekly during some times of Iraq and Afghanistan
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I read a interesting story that basically said body armor in the military was not necessarily  to save lives
but to keep the soldier in combat longer. IDK
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read a interesting story that basically said body armor in the military was not necessarily  to save lives
View Quote

By... saving their life.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it must have been a deflection. WIth the size of the helmets, it may have been a miss had he not been wearing one

Good friends truck was hit with an IED. The claim was the vests saved them from the chest injuries caused by the blast and shrapnel. Another friend had pics of his plate with shrapnel embedded in it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen at least one guy saved by his SAAPI plates, but it was from friendly fire out of a SAW.

He was still jacked up badly, and was done after that.  Rounds skipped off and destroyed his arm, after going through a wall in OIF.

Another in my Battalion found an AK projo in his assault pack after breaking contact from Fedayeen, and he was wearing his Interceptor.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The body armour is cheaper than the helicopter ride to the ER, a whole lot cheaper than the ER surgery, and cheaper than the Recovery room time.
So it saves 3 times (at least).
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Massad Ayoob aggressivly claims that a vest saved his life during a low speed mild impact car crash.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

WTF does that even mean? Protecting the vital organs most certainly saves lives.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Often enough.

I'm sorry you were miserable wearing some armor as a contractor....

It doesn't limit mobility that much when you get used to it. The things that limited mobility were those stupid DAPs they tried to get us to wear and the side plates. Just front and back plates didn't really phase most people...even with a full load of everything else we carried. Could still sprint and move well.

One my TLs got torn up pretty good from an IED on my first tour. He probably would have died if not for his plates and eye pro. Still had a fucked up face...but lack of penetration to his chest. One of many examples you'll hear from people that have been in combat.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
A LOT!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, it must have been a deflection. WIth the size of the helmets, it may have been a miss had he not been wearing one

Good friends truck was hit with an IED. The claim was the vests saved them from the chest injuries caused by the blast and shrapnel. Another friend had pics of his plate with shrapnel embedded in it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shrug, I know a Marine who had the same.
Aimed shot, 7.62x54r from a Dragunov - glanced off the side.
Might have missed, mighta misted.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds an awful like the "5.56 was designed to wound" myth
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Body armor works. The numbers are borne out by the drastically lower serious injury/death rates in modern conflicts vs historical conflicts that parallel them. The .mil and other entities have in fact done studies to this effect but I'm to lazy to see what's out there on the web .

The primary means through with which combatants are killed or wounded in war is typically not bullets though. Most casualties, historically speaking, have been products of fragmentation producing weapons like artillery, grenades, etc at least for the last century or two. Most combat body armor is centered around that reality, and for that matter why the helmet was the first widely issued truly modern personal armor.

The ability and really the absolute need to stop small arms fire, specifically high velocity rifle fire, is a newer phenomena and largely reflective of massive advances in technology, willingness to tolerate casualties (or rather lack their of), and changes in the way wars are fought and against whom (some of that due to advancements in armor at all levels). Modern body armor will stop rifle rounds, but the nature of the materials, typically a ceramic like aluminum oxide or boron carbide backed by a p-aramid fiber based material or more often than not these days backed by an UHMWPE laminate like Honneywell's Spectra or DSM's dyneema, is such that coverage for rifle threats is inherently limited due to weight and mobility considerations. This limits the number of "saves" relative to what it could be for greater coverage, but it does stop the vast majority of lethal small arms threats by covering the important bits and often the more standard, generally issued systems retain much of that soft armor coverage designed to stop the fragmentation threats that are the real killers when your enemy has access to things like artillery. Bottom line though there are a lot of guys alive today that wouldnt be if not for modern armor.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I was trying to say from the article was that body armor was to keep you in battle longer
untill I suppose some other larger arms like bombs or artillery takes you out.
In other words it has its limits.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Massad Ayoob aggressivly claims that a vest saved his life during a low speed mild impact car crash.
View Quote

He also claims he killed a water moccasin by shooting next to its head.

My interceptor saved me and my BIL has a nifty scar on his forehead after his helmet deflected a round from a x54
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My interceptor saved me and my BIL has a nifty scar on his forehead after his helmet deflected a round from a x54
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fully agree and can attest that body armor has saved and will continue to save lives. Ayoob is a hack and I remember him running his suck incessantly in the months after his accident boldly proclaiming to all who would listen that he was "save # 1234".  What a buffoon .
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What I was trying to say from the article was that body armor was to keep you in battle longer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You drunk?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
What bitch thinks plates are heavy?
Seriously hit the gym, while they can be cumbersome they are worth their weight both soft and hard armor are worth it.
I'd rather be a little hotter or not be able to get into the prone comfortably than not have the armor.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#20]
The reason there are tens of to hundreds of thousands wounded WOT vets instead of tens of thousands of dead is body armor (and medical treatment advancements to a certain extent).

Incerceptor BA is responsible for a whole shitload of people not being in the ground. Might have a few stumps, but they are still breathing.

What a silly question to ask.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The body armour is cheaper than the helicopter ride to the ER, a whole lot cheaper than the ER surgery, and cheaper than the Recovery room time.
So it saves 3 times (at least).
View Quote

It's also cheaper than the $400K SLGI payment.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think if its a cost equation, reinforcements are cheaper than having to train a replacement for a dead soldier.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, but when you read some of his stuff, he just says that he was save #_______ without saying anything about a car accident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but when you read some of his stuff, he just says that he was save #_______ without saying anything about a car accident.

classic hack. some day im going to do a 'top 10 bad gun writers". He will be on it and damn near the top.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
01 May 2002.  SAPI and shit hot 18D saved my life!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
BA does a tremendous job protecting vital organs in the trunk and head.
Military first aid is now heavily focused on stemming blood loss from mangled limbs.
IIRC survival rates are 95%+

Interesting fact from this book

• World War II: 1.8 percent (1 in 56)
• Korean War: 0.6 percent (1 in 171)
• Vietnam War: 0.5 percent (1 in 185)
• Persian Gulf War: 0.03 percent (1 in 3,162)

View Quote

Monk

ETA mortality rate per battle
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#28]
My platoon sergeant took two rounds in his front plate.  Very likely saved his life.  His whole chest and stomach was pretty ugly afterward, but there were no holes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#29]
It has saved a few of my friends and I wear it at last 6 months out of the year. You'll be thankful it's on when you least expect it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I know of two personally that soft armor saved here stateside.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

By... saving their life.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By... saving their life.  

The derp some post about armor is priceless.

There was a thread about rifle rated helmets that really got the "I failed 5th grade science" idiots all riled up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

By... saving their life.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By... saving their life.  

I'm sure it made a lot of sense to him when he posted it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#33]
If i had to go into any area that had a large amount of artillery, mortars, or other fragmentation weapons. I would want a anti frag goggles, and a full set of frag armor, helm, and rifle plates front and back.

Your more likely to take frag than you are direct fire in a real war with a modern army.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This post is confusing
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Saved me in 2004
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If i had to go into any area that had a large amount of artillery, mortars, or other fragmentation weapons. I would want a anti frag goggles, and a full set of frag armor, helm, and rifle plates front and back.

Your more likely to take frag than you are direct fire in a real war with a modern army.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ef/17/b0/ef17b0fe4095cd8ee7cc71dd76497a90.jpg
View Quote

Might as well just stay in an armored vehicle.

All that shit would suck to wear as light infantry.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ef/17/b0/ef17b0fe4095cd8ee7cc71dd76497a90.jpg

some day....

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Saved me in 2004
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#40]
If you want body armor statistics - go through NIJ's website.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Army "Flack Vest" saved my kidney
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#42]
For uniformed LEOs it considered "Safety Equipment."   Thus you have to wear it while on duty.

Would you work without safety shoes, glasses, hearing protection, etc... when the job called for it?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I knew a guy that was shot in the top of his head while wearing an ACH. The round penetrated the kevlar, but it didn't have enough energy left to pierce his head.

He described it as "getting punched in the top of the head by a gorilla."
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:27:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What kind of contractor?

I absolutely love wearing armor. Its like having a super power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wore it when required as a contractor overseas and I despised it.

What kind of contractor?

Until you have to shit and can't reach your ass to wipe.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#46]
A bullet struck my chest plate dead on, I didn't need any medical attention. An IED peppered my helmet when I was in a turret, I was able to remain in place and fight. How many are saved? Don't know, but I'm glad I was wearing it.

Now fire on the other hand....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:36:50 AM EDT
[#47]
My gunner was shot twice in a couple of months. Once in the helmet and the bullet skimmed around inside and out, he was fine, and one was slowed by the plate and the bullet embedded just beneath his skin. I told him to stay the hell away from me after the second one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:48:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Saved me in 2004

back story?  Only if you feel comfortable telling us.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:55:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do you have some kind of disability or something??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you have to shit and can't reach your ass to wipe.

Do you have some kind of disability or something??

This even in an MTV with front and side sapis I could always wipe my ass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top