Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the 7mm-08, then take it to a good gunsmith and have it rechambered for a proper cartridge--the 7x57mm
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy the 7mm-08, then take it to a good gunsmith and have it rechambered for a proper cartridge--the 7x57mm
View Quote

There's no need for that.  With Powerpro2000, the 7mm-08 will hit 284 Winchester speeds.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
308 will be easier to find.  Flip coin both will kill deer just fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
In before the 'you can't kill a whitetail with your AR' crowd.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There's no need for that.  With Powerpro2000, the 7mm-08 will hit 284 Winchester speeds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the 7x57mm was the original 7mm and it was also once a factory Winchester M70 featherweight caliber.

The 7mm-08 is for ignorant schmoes who do not understand classic cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
^^^^ all those fucks ^^^^    

Still though, 308

Never seen 7 at the hardware store here, did see 308 even after SH.

Internet ammo, yeah if you live in a free state, and it stays free.

Availability and commonality ftw.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Both are more than adequate for anything in the Southeast that isn't in a zoo.

7mm -08 is a better performing round, but .308 is a lot more available.

Since you're looking at a really light rifle, I wouldn't rule out the .243 either.  Less recoil, wide range of bullet weight/applications, 100gr stuff is plenty for whitetail.
View Quote

NO!  NO!  FUCKING NO!!!  While my fucking deer with the fucking butterflied heart lay dead as fucking hell, the fucking 90# deer shot fucking in the chest with a fucking .243 jumped fucking up and fucking ran the fuck away.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
NO!  NO!  FUCKING NO!!!  While my fucking deer with the fucking butterflied heart lay dead as fucking hell, the fucking 90# deer shot fucking in the chest with a fucking .243 jumped fucking up and fucking ran the fuck away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you're looking at a really light rifle, I wouldn't rule out the .243 either.  Less recoil, wide range of bullet weight/applications, 100gr stuff is plenty for whitetail.

You should wait 15min at a min before you go looking for your deer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
308!  Nothing beats a .30 caliber bullet!  There's NO advantage to 7mm-08!  It was the solution to a problem that doesn't exist!  Inferior ballistics to boot!
View Quote

interesting ballistics you have at your disposal
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, if we're just going to talk one-off anecdotes, I watched an elk soak up 4 rounds of .300 Weatherby Magnum and 2 .44 Mags into his chest before finally going down and staying down.

I guess .300 Weatherby Magnum isn't enough gun for elk.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
358win
338 fed

338-06

7mm-08 was made for girls who didn't want their shoulder to get sore
View Quote

the only advantage of a .308 is more availability.  Please name one other advantage
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Since you're looking at a really light rifle, I wouldn't rule out the .260Rem or.243 either.  Less recoil, wide range of bullet weight/applications, 100gr+ stuff is plenty for whitetail.

I think I've posted this before.... Ironically, the only member of the .308-case "family of cartridges" that's kind of a dud is... the .308.  
View Quote

Why do you say better performing?  I've killed deer with both can't tell the difference.  I like the better ammo selection and heavier 308 game larger then deer and it has a much better selection of subsonics.......and is significantly cheaper to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
308!  Nothing beats a .30 caliber bullet!  There's NO advantage to 7mm-08!  It was the solution to a problem that doesn't exist!  Inferior ballistics to boot!
View Quote

The .30 caliber bullet has held back small arms design for decades.  So many potential world beaters have been hamstrung by the fucking .308-.312 diameter bullet.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, if we're just going to talk one-off anecdotes, I watched an elk soak up 4 rounds of .300 Weatherby Magnum and 2 .44 Mags into his chest before finally going down and staying down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southeastern elk go right down with 7mm-08.  Get one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why do you say better performing?  I've killed deer with both can't tell the difference.  I like the better ammo selection and heavier 308 game larger then deer and it has a much better selection of subsonics.......and is significantly cheaper to shoot.
View Quote

Better performance at extended ranges, due to better BC bullets.  The "better performance" that the round offers almost certainly will have no impact on a hunting rifle.  Subsonic stuff probably won't either (but is a solid point in the .308s favor).

And given ammo of comparable quality (factory or handloads), is .308 really much cheaper to shoot?  Sure 147gr FMJ is cheaper, but a lightweight hunting rifle probably isn't going to see too much of that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
7mm-08  Magnum Research Lone Eagle:

Now, go do the right thing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

lol, no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
7mm-08 is a stupid caliber. 308 is more available and 260 rem has better ballistics.

You see lots of dumb shit posted on arfcom. What you said is one of those times.

lol, no

Let's break it down. He asked opinions on 308 vs 7-08, 308 is more common but who cares it's a hunting round your not out plinking like with a 22. If availability was that big of deal you would have recommend 6.5cm since it's all over the place compared to the 260.  In the end they all work.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Which one can you shoot better?  Which one would you want to carry around all day?   use that one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Im partial to the 7-08, can load 100gr for varmints to 175gr for stuff

You can make some real nice powder puff deer killing loads with the 120gr bullets too.

Love the 139 hornady interlocks they are my got o bullet cheap too

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't hand load.  7mm-08 is less available and more expensive.  My vote is for .243.  I have been killing the shit out of deer for many years with it.   It has  less recoil than either 7mm-08 or .308, it is less expensive ammo which is available everywhere.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Here we have a buck calmly eating grass after being shot with a .308 in the head, neck, heart, liver, eyball and lungs.  Next, it experiences the mighty 7mm-08.  Wave bye-bye buck.  WARNING - This video is fucking graphic!  Fur flies everywhere.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But the 7x57mm was the original 7mm and it was also once a factory Winchester M70 featherweight caliber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wont really beable to appreciate a 7x57 in a short action though.

My long action 7x57 m77mkll can handle 175 grain interlocks loaded way long
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#23]
.308<7mm-08<.260/creedmore

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can I buy crack from you?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What in the fucking blue blazing hell are all the .308 sucking fanbois doing misleading the fucking fuck out of Paulie771 so that he might fucking end up with a fucking ho-hum but fucking otherwise cool as fucking hell Winchester Model Fucking 70 Featherfuckingweight rifle?  HOLY FUCKING BASE MODEL FORD 150!  Do you fucking fuckers not have any fucking imagination better than fucking .308?  And who the fucking hell forgets their fucking ammunition when they go fucking hunting in fucking pofuckindunk Iowa?  Helloooo, here's fucking news for you fuckers, there is an internet where you can fucking buy whatever the fucking ammunition you fucking want.  So stock the fuck up!  And if you are too fucking stupid to remember your fucking ammunition when you go on a fucking hunt, you just might be too fucking stupid to carry a fucking rifle.

Or maybe you fuckers with the .308 cases stuck up your fucking assholes don't mind buying and burning more fucking gun powder to send more fucking lead to do a fucking job that the 7mm-08 does quite fucking nicely while kicking your fucking shoulder harder than you fucking need to.  Maybe that is what damaged the fucking fuck out of your fucking brain such that you cannot fucking fathom that the 7mm-08 has more fucking retained velocity and energy beyond 300 yards (more or fucking less) than the fucking .308.  Any fucking closer and who the fuck cares?  It will still fucking fuck up a fucking deer plenty fucking well.

I hunt fucking deer (also celibate deer) in the Southeast and have fucking done fucking fine with the 7mm-08.  In fact, I fucking shot one yesterday with 47.2 fucking grains of RL17 behind a 140 fucking grain Nosler Ballistic Tip flying 2735 fucking feet per second out of my 20" barreled Remington Model Fucking Seven XCR, and did it fucking filet the fucking heart?  HELL FUCKING NO you fucking .308 morons!  Every fucking sensible person who's fucking brain hasn't been fucking poisoned from drinking the fucking fuck jizzle of .308 trannies knows the fucking hell that there are no fucking bones in a fucking heart.  My 7mm-08 FUCKING BUTTERFLIED THAT FUCKING HEART.  Any sensible person also knows that the fucking 7mm-08 is the fucking sweet spot for blasting fucking deer.  I have fucking blasted the fucking fuck out of deer out to 250 yards for a full fucking bang-flop.  Was I so fucking stupid to then say, "Fuck, I could have fucked that fucking deer better if I had a fucking .308?  FUCK NO!!!  My fucking 7mm-08 fucked the hell out of that fucking deer while passing clear fucking through it!

So Paulie771, don't fucking pay any fucking heed to the fucking fuckers who lack the fucking creative wherewithal to fucking think past their fucking knee-jerk fucked-up suggestion to get a fuckingly fucked .308 because all the fucking smart people in the Southeast who are so fucking smart because they don't bow to the fucking alter of the false fucking .308 idol.  Seriously, all the fucking deer hunters in the fucking Southeast who aren't just a bunch of fucking fuckers shoot the fuck out of deer with a 7mm-08 so DON'T GET A DAMN .308.

ETA:  Sorry I didn't mean to say damn.
View Quote

The only thing wrong about this post is that it's too long for a sig line.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What in the fucking blue blazing hell are all the .308 sucking fanbois doing misleading the fucking fuck out of Paulie771 so that he might fucking end up with a fucking ho-hum but fucking otherwise cool as fucking hell Winchester Model Fucking 70 Featherfuckingweight rifle?  HOLY FUCKING BASE MODEL FORD 150!  Do you fucking fuckers not have any fucking imagination better than fucking .308?  And who the fucking hell forgets their fucking ammunition when they go fucking hunting in fucking pofuckindunk Iowa?  Helloooo, here's fucking news for you fuckers, there is an internet where you can fucking buy whatever the fucking ammunition you fucking want.  So stock the fuck up!  And if you are too fucking stupid to remember your fucking ammunition when you go on a fucking hunt, you just might be too fucking stupid to carry a fucking rifle.

Or maybe you fuckers with the .308 cases stuck up your fucking assholes don't mind buying and burning more fucking gun powder to send more fucking lead to do a fucking job that the 7mm-08 does quite fucking nicely while kicking your fucking shoulder harder than you fucking need to.  Maybe that is what damaged the fucking fuck out of your fucking brain such that you cannot fucking fathom that the 7mm-08 has more fucking retained velocity and energy beyond 300 yards (more or fucking less) than the fucking .308.  Any fucking closer and who the fuck cares?  It will still fucking fuck up a fucking deer plenty fucking well.

I hunt fucking deer (also celibate deer) in the Southeast and have fucking done fucking fine with the 7mm-08.  In fact, I fucking shot one yesterday with 47.2 fucking grains of RL17 behind a 140 fucking grain Nosler Ballistic Tip flying 2735 fucking feet per second out of my 20" barreled Remington Model Fucking Seven XCR, and did it fucking filet the fucking heart?  HELL FUCKING NO you fucking .308 morons!  Every fucking sensible person who's fucking brain hasn't been fucking poisoned from drinking the fucking fuck jizzle of .308 trannies knows the fucking hell that there are no fucking bones in a fucking heart.  My 7mm-08 FUCKING BUTTERFLIED THAT FUCKING HEART.  Any sensible person also knows that the fucking 7mm-08 is the fucking sweet spot for blasting fucking deer.  I have fucking blasted the fucking fuck out of deer out to 250 yards for a full fucking bang-flop.  Was I so fucking stupid to then say, "Fuck, I could have fucked that fucking deer better if I had a fucking .308?  FUCK NO!!!  My fucking 7mm-08 fucked the hell out of that fucking deer while passing clear fucking through it!

So Paulie771, don't fucking pay any fucking heed to the fucking fuckers who lack the fucking creative wherewithal to fucking think past their fucking knee-jerk fucked-up suggestion to get a fuckingly fucked .308 because all the fucking smart people in the Southeast who are so fucking smart because they don't bow to the fucking alter of the false fucking .308 idol.  Seriously, all the fucking deer hunters in the fucking Southeast who aren't just a bunch of fucking fuckers shoot the fuck out of deer with a 7mm-08 so DON'T GET A DAMN .308.

Easily the most eloquent 7mm-08 advocacy ever put into words. Man is not only right, he has a way with words that would leave Shakespeare in awe.

Both cartridges work but 7mm-08 is my favorite after using both on deer and more hogs than I can count.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Flip a coin.  .308 probably easier to find, 7mm-08 has better ballistics.  For woods hunting, (i.e., short shots) either will be just fine.  No hate here on a 7mm, but I'm a .308 fan.
View Quote

Pretty much what I was going to say.

And don't rule out the .260 Rem. Good found but not as easy to find as .308.

Same with the 6mm Rem and .243 Win. The 6mm is just as accurate though a little faster but not as easy to find as the .243.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#29]
7mm-08 But I'd put it in a Remington Model 7 unless you plan on hunting bean fields
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Model 70 Featherweight is a long action.  It is also offered in .30-06 and .270.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went shooting with the guys from work three weeks ago and one of the guys had an old bolt action (looked like a 1903?) that his grandpa had rechambered to 7mm-08. We got out the chrono to see what we were all shooting (my 14.5" 556 with 55gr was ~ 2800 iirc) well anyway his bolt was sticking after he was shooting some of his grandpas reloads .......... So he shoots it across the chronograph and HOLY SHIT 140gr going ~3700fps!

Needless to say I don't know a whole lot about the 7mm-08 but a sticky bolt and crazy speeds sounds like way too much pressure. I backed off real fast and told him he might want to read a reloading manual to see how fast the 140gr should be going.

So I think I can say also that I have seen personally the 7mm-08 reach speeds that were crazy

I picked up one of the brass after to double check it was really a 7mm-08 he was shooting and it was

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#33]
7mm08

Sure 308 has more ammo availability, but after the recent shortage of ammo 308 was very hard to find on the shelf. Stuff like 7mm08 remained available.

It helps that it has better ballistics than the 308 as well.

My Black Hole Weaponry barreled 7mm08 upper with a Saker 7.62.

5 Shot 100 yard group. Does this all day long when I do my part.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I need to stop reading these threads.  I have enough rifles in enough calibers already.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Model 70 Featherweight is a long action.  It is also offered in .30-06 and .270.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Model 70 Classic featherweight 7mm08 is a short action.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/jcbmecham/media/IMG_0509_zpsmszbpgts.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w524/jcbmecham/IMG_0509_zpsmszbpgts.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice!  What sort of scope is that?  I've thought about putting my Primary Arms 1-6x on what ever I end up getting.  I have some sort of Chicom 3-9x that came on an old Rem 700 SPS from Dick's years ago sitting on my safe as well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
7mm-08 is a stupid caliber. 308 is more available and 260 rem has better ballistics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

6mm?  6.5mm?  Both are slick as snot compared to a 30 cal bullet.  There are some really good reasons to choose a 308 but ballistics isn't one of them.  7mm 08 beats 308 hands down in the ballistics dept.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#39]
If you use factory ammunition, 308.  

If you handload non-premium bullets, everyone has favorites, but for SE deer hunting (less than 200 yds?) I might go with a 150 or 180 gr 30 cal round nose bullet.   I'm not OTOH aware of any 7mm equivalents.  

If you handload premium bullets, or if you want to just play/test different bullets, it's a wash.   Maybe you'll get somewhat better results (e.g. less recoil in 7mm-08 for equivalent power) by playing with different bullets.  But 175gr. 7mm or 180/200 gr 7.62mm are awesome bullets.    (this site andthat one could be starting points)
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
358win
338 fed

338-06

View Quote

Some of us don't want to ruin a bunch of meat.  Texas deer have small bodies.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should focus more on your shooting and less on your colorful treatises
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#43]
If I didn't hand load, I'd shoot .308.

I do hand load.  

I have a stack of 7mm-08's. (my sons use some of them). Barrels from 10" to 24". They are all great shooters.

Boring 140 Gr, spitzers (I like Core-Lokt, but Sierra and Hornady work fine) at moderate velocity drop whitetails in their tracks. Better than my 30-06's, in my experience. I don't know why, but that 7mm bullet is a quick killer.

When my sons were starting they used a Handi Rifle in 7mm-08, with 120 gr. Sierra's loaded to 30-30 energy levels. That gun has no kick to speak of. That gun is currently on it's fourth young man. It has accounted for at least 8 deer, none have gone 50 yards.    

Every 7mm-08 I have tried has been unreasonably accurate.

I love that cartrige.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I think the 7mm-08 is superior for white tails.  But 308 ammo is way easier to find.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#45]
7mm-08 brass ...... easy  run 308 through the 7mm-08 sizing die and go for it .  I had a 7mm-08 Rem Mountain Rifle that was a great shooter.  Thanks to my idiot BIL he backed his F250 into the barrel pinning the rifle between a tree and his back bumper.  It never grouped worth a shit after that.  I had it rebarreled with a 24 inch PacNor Premium in 7mm-08 Ackley Improved.  It is not only accurate but every thing I've shot has gone down like it was struck by lighting.  That being said my truck gun is a Ruger American in .308.  You can't go wrong with either cartridge.  I love my 7mm-08 but the .308 is okay too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

8/10
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:00:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Very nice!  What sort of scope is that?  I've thought about putting my Primary Arms 1-6x on what ever I end up getting.  I have some sort of Chicom 3-9x that came on an old Rem 700 SPS from Dick's years ago sitting on my safe as well.

Thanks.
Scope is a Leupold VX3 1.75-5X.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:03:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I bought a 7-08 for my daughter, and I can tell you one thing: Brass for that caliber is about as easy to find as unicorn dust.

As far as practical differences at reasonable ranges? Who cares. Pick one - either will do the job with minimal differences.
View Quote

I form all my 7-08 brass from .243 or .308.
One pass through a full-length sizer and a trimming. Easy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
358win
338 fed

338-06

Those relatively slow cartridges listed, combined with a halfway decent bullet will not "ruin a bunch of meat" unless you actually aim for said meat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:06:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/jcbmecham/media/IMG_0509_zpsmszbpgts.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w524/jcbmecham/IMG_0509_zpsmszbpgts.jpg</a>

Do not skimp on the scope. The PA 1-6 is probably fine but I would not go chicom.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top