Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2015 5:17:03 PM EDT
I was reading up on survival rations a bit recently and the DATREX brand had pretty high marks. There is no BS in them, just simple ingredients to provide calories and fat - two things you desperately need in an emergency.

While perusing Amazon I found out they had been added as an Add On item, 6.99 per package. Why not I say?

Two days later they arrive and I decide I might as well try them if I'm going to rely on them when ultra conservative communist Icelanders take over our great country. Taste and consistency is similar to that of a shortbread cookie. Actually very pleasant and I could almost eat them as a snack....  If they wouldn't make me fat as hell after a pack or two a week!

5 year shelf life, no temperature restrictions, small and basically the most dense caloric content you will find in emergency food. One 25.4 oz. package provides 3600 calories. Plenty for a GHB or vehicle. I highly recommend this brand.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
They worked for me.  I ate some once, and I survived.

A+++, would survive again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I dunno, with that kind of nutritional content (almost no protein) I think I"d starve to death.  Especially if I was doing anything besides sitting around waiting for someone to find/rescue me (which admittedly is a lot of survival situations....)
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dunno, with that kind of nutritional content (almost no protein) I think I"d starve to death.  Especially if I was doing anything besides sitting around waiting for someone to find/rescue me (which admittedly is a lot of survival situations....)
View Quote

If you are in a survival situation, especially if it's cold, you need calories, lots and lot of them. While protein is excellent, it also doesn't store as well long term. I have a couple boxes [cases] of the SOS brand. [tastes fine] and some of their individual packages of multiple flavored ones.

Like the OP was saying, one of the best things about them is that they are very small for the calorie count and a couple packs along with some jerky will get you by for a very small sacrifice in room or weight if that is a requirement.

I have bottled water, gatoraid, and 2 of the 3600 cal packs in all my vehicles along with a pack of jerky.  Everything can get packed along if I have to leave the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for the car in case you get stranded somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reminder!  I just pulled out two different ones from the bottom of my bug-out / get-home bag that I forgot were there.

S.O.S Food Lab Inc
One Emergency Food Ration made 10-2006 expires 09-2011
One Survival Food Pack made 05-2006 expired 04-2011
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
What's with the " Eat in small pieces, chew well " instruction
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
High density. Recommend stash water as well.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Our local school just got rid of some 5 year bars and water, because they were out of date

So, the date when hungry should be good for 10+ years
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

"rock or something"
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"rock or something"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"rock or something"
I LOL'd

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you are in a survival situation, especially if it's cold, you need calories, lots and lot of them. While protein is excellent, it also doesn't store as well long term. I have a couple boxes [cases] of the SOS brand. [tastes fine] and some of their individual packages of multiple flavored ones.

Like the OP was saying, one of the best things about them is that they are very small for the calorie count and a couple packs along with some jerky will get you by for a very small sacrifice in room or weight if that is a requirement.

I have bottled water, gatoraid, and 2 of the 3600 cal packs in all my vehicles along with a pack of jerky.  Everything can get packed along if I have to leave the vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.  Add the jerky and you'll be good to go.  :)
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Why not just keep a few bags of sugar in the cupboard. Pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why not just keep a few bags of sugar in the cupboard. Pretty much the same thing.
View Quote

Tough eating a bowl of sugar on a raft in the middle of the ocean during a hurricane.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Good if you are stranded at sea in a lifeboat or similar predicament.  These are pure SURVIVAL rations.

If space allows - there are far better options that won't leave you climbing the walls for food.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I LOL'd

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"rock or something"
I LOL'd

LOL I always got a kick out of that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#17]
The only real problem is that once you open the package ALL of it is open.

Would have been nice to have single servings, so to speak.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:00:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The servings are individually wrapped which is more than can be said for some other bars.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Datrex, Mainstay and Millennium bars.

The later come in single serving sizes (and more flavors).

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:15:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Why not stash some peanut butter too? I think pb and honey is a better survival food.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#21]
the shape is different but the finished contents look familiar. i think that stuff is the bastard brother of the mre's oatmeal cookie bar.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I remember something very similar in our survival kits from aviation life support school.

I tried one, not good but if I was starving it would be better than nothing. They are VERY dry and you will need a lot of water or never shit again!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#23]
MayDay makes individually foil wrapped ration bars. Taste pretty damn good, too. I've eaten the Datrex and the MayDays. They are perfect for a car kit and stand up well to heat and cold extremes
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Whoa they are approved by the coast guard.  That changes everything!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Whoa they are approved by the coast guard.  That changes everything!!
View Quote

SOLAS--survival of life at sea--is a very exacting standard for shipborne safety/survival supplies.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I remember something very similar in our survival kits from aviation life support school.

I tried one, not good but if I was starving it would be better than nothing. They are VERY dry and you will need a lot of water or never shit again!
View Quote

lifeboat rations are usually designed to require a minimum of water to eat and digest.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#27]
This isn't something you rotate - you buy them, store them, and throw them away every few years.

Why not keep something like a few Cliff Bars in your car? Eat them and replace them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I just found a pack that's about 12 years old. It was inside, in the AC, and I'm goind see how it tastes later. I had one in the truck for about 7 years and it was black when I opened it up.  Didn't taste that one
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why not stask some peanut butter too? I think pb and honey is a better survival food.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why not stask some peanut butter too? I think pb and honey is a better survival food.

Honey will last indefinitely...as in forever. There's honey that's been found in the pyramids that was edible.  If you're a prepper and don't have at least 50lbs of honey on hand you're not thinking it through.

The science behind Honey's eternal shelf life

Modern archeologists, excavating ancient Egyptian tombs, have often found something unexpected amongst the tombs’ artifacts: pots of honey, thousands of years old, and yet still preserved. Through millennia, the archeologists discover, the food remains unspoiled, an unmistakable testament to the eternal shelf-life of honey.

$2 per pound
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Just changed out the ones in my ghb
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#31]
There is no replacement for MRE's
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Give these a try if you can find them.   RCW
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"rock or something"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"rock or something"

Zing!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Honey will last indefinitely...as in forever. There's honey that's been found in the pyramids that was edible.  If you're a prepper and don't have at least 50lbs of honey on hand you're not thinking it through.

$2 per pound
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern archeologists, excavating ancient Egyptian tombs, have often found something unexpected amongst the tombs’ artifacts: pots of honey, thousands of years old, and yet still preserved. Through millennia, the archeologists discover, the food remains unspoiled, an unmistakable testament to the eternal shelf-life of honey.

$2 per pound

That's a smoking deal. Thanks!

I just hate to open it up to make a cup of tea!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why not stash some peanut butter too? I think pb and honey is a better survival food.
View Quote

Why not stash a variety of long term food if you're serious about making preps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This isn't something you rotate - you buy them, store them, and throw them away every few years.

Why not keep something like a few Cliff Bars in your car? Eat them and replace them.
View Quote

You answered your own question. No need to mess with the kit, just set it and forget it!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got some... not sure how old they are!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Careful... I hear that you have to pack them really well for a trip to Mars...
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good if you are stranded at sea in a lifeboat or similar predicament.  These are pure SURVIVAL rations.

If space allows - there are far better options that won't leave you climbing the walls for food.
View Quote

They're especially good when you consider the old standard in lifeboat rations:

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You answered your own question. No need to mess with the kit, just set it and forget it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like wasted money to me. I'd rather buy something I like and will eat, and rotate it every now and then.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#41]
So here's a question, if I know that I am now in a survival situation how long should I wait before I start to eat my rations in terms of days without food?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The servings are individually wrapped which is more than can be said for some other bars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've had them.  But the singles are not vacuum packed.

Just FYI people, these have decent taste but they fall apart easy and there is some sort of greasiness to them.  Just odd.

And you need a lot of water with these.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Datrex, Mainstay and Millennium bars.  

The later come in single serving sizes (and more flavors).

http://www.moreprepared.com/media/new-millennium-energy-bar-case.jpg

I've had a few of those.  Still have some left

My favorites, still, are the Mainstay 1200 bars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top