Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2015 4:16:47 PM EDT
Man that was easy. Did it on my covered pool table, only problem I ran into was the buffer catch releasing while I was trying to seat the take down spring under the buffer spacer:Booooiiing! Lol

Update:
Lighting wasn't great, but it's done!(for now)
Stitched up a piece of leather with 550 cord for the buffer tube. Looks kinda cool, but I want to build a nicer brown leather sleeve with black stitching and a thicker sling.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Now you know why we build em'. Congrats!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Do yourself and others a favor and start making sure the safety is on when you are not on target and shooting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Good job! Looks great!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do yourself and others a favor and start making sure the safety is on when you are not on target and shooting. Thanks.
View Quote

Especially with the upper off the lower with the hammer back.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
also I got your serial number now I am going to report it stolen or something

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Little safety bad habits grow into big safety bad habits. If everyone started with good habits, I wouldn't have people flagging me with their safeties off. But somehow it still happens, even when they've "been shooting for a decade or more".
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Get a life. There's no upper connected. After I ensure my guns are empty I store them hammer down safety off.

Quoted:

This is a legitimate concern. Dropping the hammer on the bolt catch can break it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Little safety bad habits grow into big safety bad habits. If everyone started with good habits, I wouldn't have people flagging me with their safeties off. But somehow it still happens, even when they've "been shooting for a decade or more".
View Quote

They shouldn't be flagging you period. Safety or not.

Focus on the real issue - muzzle discipline. Stop relying on mechanical safeties to allow for an unsafe practice.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Focus on the real issue - muzzle discipline. Stop relying on mechanical safeties to allow for an unsafe practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe, just maybe, we could work on doing two safe things at once: not flagging people and keeping the safety on. Both of which are habits that should be started early and maintained constantly.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or maybe, just maybe, we could work on doing two safe things at once: not flagging people and keeping the safety on. Both of which are habits that should be started early and maintained constantly.

https://youtu.be/k-rGnMKszxg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/k-rGnMKszxg

This video is in no way relevant to my thread.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Get a life. There's no upper connected. After I ensure my guns are empty I store them hammer down safety off.

This is a legitimate concern. Dropping the hammer on the bolt catch can break it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know, thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good, now go build 10 more.
View Quote

That's the plan. I thought I had the sickness before.... uh oh...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Man that was easy. Did it on my covered pool table, only problem I ran into was the buffer catch releasing while I was trying to seat the take down spring under the buffer spacer:Booooiiing! Lol

http://i.imgur.com/BOlu8yr.jpg
View Quote

Excellent!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Built my first 3 before I went to Japan. That was 8 years ago. One still needs an upper.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#19]
cool

now stain that wine rack
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
cool

now stain that wine rack
View Quote

Lol its glossy, I have a few different models that sell well, and women like the clear as much as they do the cabernet and dark walnut stains
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Built my first 3 before I went to Japan. That was 8 years ago. One still needs an upper.
View Quote

Nice! I bought 2 lowers at once, figured why not for the background check I was already doing. So there will definitely be a second.... and then a third, fourth, etc.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
is it on safety?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?
hard to put the safety on with the hammer down

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Hopefully just because it rustles "ishouldntspeak"'s jimmies
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice! I was contemplating messing with a black friday AR for my first. That's when I got on here and learned about building them instead.

Glad I went that route too. Rewarding and even fun. I've built several now.

I have the Brownells front pivot detent tool and just lately think I have the fluid hand motion it takes down. I still use a plastic bag to catch that sucker in case of error.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Haha that's a good enough reason.

Really it's because before I put any gun away into storage I perform the following function check which leaves the hammer down.

1) charge several times and visually inspect chamber to ensure it is empty. Bolt carrier should move freely with little resistance
2) manually engage bolt catch, charge the rifle and ensure bolt stays locked back.
3) release the bolt and ensure that it slams home and goes fully into battery and the hammer doesn't drop.
4) flip the selector to safe and ensure the trigger doesn't pull
5) flip selector to fire, and pull trigger. Hammer should drop as normal.
6) while holding the the trigger to the rear, charge the rifle.
7) let the trigger reset, you should hear an audible click as the disconnector lets go of the hammer and the trigger sear engages it.
8) pull the trigger, hammer should drop as normal
9) close dust cover and make sure charging handle is locked into place
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came to post your screwed but you are already one step ahead.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already headed to the engraver on my 80%.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck me
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the same upper on an Anderson lower!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice!  IMO, it gives you a much better understanding of how your weapon works if you either build it or strip and rebuild it.  If I buy a whole firearm, the first thing I do is take it apart and see how it works.  There are very limited exceptions where you probably should not do this unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the proper tools/another set of hands.  The biggest one that comes to mind is the Mossberg 5XX trigger group (they are bastards).

What you really need is a work bench if you have space in your house.  Having a dedicated surface to do stuff on is key.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Pretty dam easy wasn't it?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do yourself and others a favor and learn the 4 rules.

A gun's "safety" is a function of two things... the direction in which the muzzle is pointed, and the lack of trigger interface.  Period.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#38]
You didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

In a way, you are right.

Years ago, I posted some pictures of some M15s that I had put together and said I built them.

I was immediately hammered with "you didn't build it, you assembled it".

Well, I guess they were right, since I didn't mill or forge anything, I just assembled the parts, so I stood corrected.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Good job son. I remember my first time too
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Very nice!  IMO, it gives you a much better understanding of how your weapon works if you either build it or strip and rebuild it.  If I buy a whole firearm, the first thing I do is take it apart and see how it works.  There are very limited exceptions where you probably should not do this unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the proper tools/another set of hands.  The biggest one that comes to mind is the Mossberg 5XX trigger group (they are bastards).

What you really need is a work bench if you have space in your house.  Having a dedicated surface to do stuff on is key.  

View Quote

I have seveal work benches, but working with tiny springs I figured it best to work on a big flat surface with hardwood floors all around.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

What about guns that don't have a safety ?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have the same upper on an Anderson lower!
View Quote

Sweet, pics? Do you like it? This will be a backup HD/truck PDW. I have a Vortex Strike fire going on it. Total cost of the build was right at  $525 with BCG/CH and optic included.

Am I wrong for wanting a single point sling? Point me in the right direction my friends.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats on your new sIcKNesS.

I think everybody launches the front detent pin on their first build. I always tell them to order 2 or 3 extra. (there is a tool for that).

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn it, came here to say that!!

Well, maybe I can add that he didn't leave it on fire for the pic, somebody else did that also

Back when men were men, guns didn't even have safeties
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Many more will follow............you never do just one
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have seveal work benches, but working with tiny springs I figured it best to work on a big flat surface with hardwood floors all around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call.  I have been known to use my bathroom for the same reason.  I learned this lesson as a young kid building RC cars.   These days I try to magnetize everything and use magnetic mats and bowls (which also can double as a magnet broom).  Also, please wear eyepro when working with anything under spring tension.  Your wife and dog may think you look goofy, but it is better to not have to go to the ER to get something metal out of your eye.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think everybody launches the front detent pin on their first build. I always tell them to order 2 or 3 extra. (there is a tool for that).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could see how ppl launch the front, but it was actually the bolt catch. I tightened the buffer tube to catch the bolt catch before realizing I had to seat the rear takedown spring under the buffer tube spacer so when I backed off the buffer tube slightly it launched the spring and catch out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Many more will follow............you never do just one
View Quote

I think a lower assembly races would be fun to watch... like those nerds doing Rubik's cubes, except 87 times cooler.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top