Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/27/2015 2:41:33 PM EDT
Here is the problem:

Six cylinder models (our first choice in engines) are scarce here in CO. By looking at inventory online, no CO dealership has our first choice color/engine in stock (Lapis Blue Pearl and a six cylinder). I looked at every dealer in CO. Several are "in transit", but delivery estimates (as in a month or two) don't work with our schedule.

Here is the question:

Do we go with our second choice in color (Venetian Red) and get the six cylinder? Or do we go with the first choice in color (Lapis blue) and accept the four cylinder?
We will be making a decision this afternoon.

Cross posted from Cars and Bikes in hopes of a quicker response.

Because I know the rules.

This is her at a steel shoot with her M&P 15-22. I have a video of her shooting steel with it and her G20 (she now prefers that to her previous competition gun a 6in 686) but I can't get the video to up load. I upgraded my membership to gold but the upload limit is too low.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82923

And one of me:

Update 12/9/15
OK, So we went into the dealer yesterday morning to order the blue, 6 cyl, Limited Outback. While we are waiting for our salesman, my wife walked outside to look at the line of Outbacks. They have a blue and a red side by side so she gets to get a good look at the two colors in the bright morning sun.

The salesman brings us in and we start picking options. We want what is pretty much a loaded Limited model. I want a factory trailer hitch added for an excess cargo carrier, and since the Subaru web site talks about the need for trailer brakes if you tow a certain weight, I ask what connector comes installed from the factory. The flat, four conductor or what? He goes off to find the answer. He comes back and says it doesn’t come wired up. Not thinking about hippies hauling their pedal bikes I ask “What the hell good is a trailer hitch without wiring for lights?”!

I get on my phone to my local Layton Truck and get a price for a hitch package. It’s about $200 less and it’s a 2 in. not the 1 ¼ one that Subaru installs. That settles that, and I say skip the hitch.

In the mean time the sales guy (Bill) and my wife are talking and she learns that the red 6 cyl is still available. Bill asks if she wants to see it. We take a ride to the back lot. She looks it over and likes the color better than she thought, and says “We’ll take it”.

Other factors went into the decision. Next year a 5/8 of a percent “pothole” tax goes into effect. The dealer had a 1.49% financing offer currently in effect (we took it). I think the red looked nicer than she remembered, and we have it for two more snow months by getting it right away. Before getting the Subaru my pickup was our only 4WD.

After driving it around for 24 hours, I’m pretty sure the 6 cyl is the right choice. Very smooth and quiet, and it barely worked going up a decent hill.

Thanks to all who helped with our decision.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not going to ask for pics of either you or your partner.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You gonna park it next to your Miata?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
don't
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
What color does your co-exist and Obama stickers go best with?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol

1st world gay problems

Serious tho.... Engine 1st. Options second.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
In for the lulz.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Do yourself a favor, and test drive a new Rav 4 first.We were in your shoes, till we drove the Rav, better in everyway, and cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll accept a lower power engine because of the color?

Considering you'll be replacing gaskets at 80K get whatever you want
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#10]
You and your life partner will be very happy! Not judging.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The wife unit has one of these on order:
http://www.zazzle.com/let_there_be_no_confusion_i_may_drive_a_subaru_car_bumper_sticker-128465702565973083
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't even want to try a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder in Colorado, but that's just me. I would go with the 6 cylinder and 2nd choice color.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, you're telling me Subarus don't come standard with those stickers?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Make sure you get a, "NOT a Liberal" bumper sticker.

If you take that car to the shooting range everybody will be on guard thinking you are an ATF plant, BLM, or PETA.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
What do you want the bigger engine for? Are you going to be towing something?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
What does the 6 offer that the 4 doesn't?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Get the six. Ignore the haters. Slap an NRA sticker on it and you're set.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually this will primarily be the wife's car. My daily driver is a 3/4 ton Silverado. So yes color is pretty important.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Order one with what you want.  When you're forking out that much cash, you shouldn't have to compromise.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Our '12 4 banger has plenty of power. I hate the CVT though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Get what you want.
I sure as hell getting what I what if I am committing to a new car.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I wouldn't even want to try a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder in Colorado, but that's just me. I would go with the 6 cylinder and 2nd choice color.
View Quote
I'd get the 6cyl in red or wait.    I had a 2008 turbo outback, and it was a great vehicle.  I would not get a NA 4cyl for Colorado unless I was only using it around town.  My 2 cents...    

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Compromise on color and get the 6 cylinder.  I had  a Forester with the 4 cylinder and it was gutless.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have property in the mountains. We are both retired and spend time up there on a whim quite frequently. When we go, the vehicle is loaded to the gunwales.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm not going to ask for pics of either you or your partner.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually this will primarily be the wife's car. My daily driver is a 3/4 ton Silverado. So yes color is pretty important.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a sit down talk with the wife.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Power in the mountains.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Wait and get what you want, unless you need a car RIGHT now because you don't have one.

If you settle, you'll always have a nagging feeling of regret.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd get the 6cyl in red or wait.    I had a 2008 turbo outback, and it was a great vehicle.  I would not get a NA 4cyl for Colorado unless I was only using it around town.  My 2 cents...      
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the Subaru "build your own" web site, turbo is not an option.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#31]
lol
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We have property in the mountains. We are both retired and spend time up there on a whim quite frequently. When we go, the vehicle is loaded to the gunwales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then wait. No sense being unhappy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.. get the 6cyl..in red now or wait 'til later for the color you want.  You may have to wait a long time though.  Might be worthwhile to shop outside your area.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I drive a '15 3.6.  I would absolutely get the 6 cylinder.  My black BFL sticker looks great with the charcoal gray paint.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Power vs gas mileage like always. If mileage doesn't matter get the H6. Or there's always the Turbo option. More expensive gas, more power. Congrats on your new Subaru!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wouldn't even want to try a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder in Colorado, PERIOD.  ... I would go with the 6 cylinder and 2nd choice color.
View Quote

Came to type this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Power in the mountains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power in the mountains.

The four is rated at 175 HP. The six is rated at 256 HP. She will be moving up from a 130 HP Ford Focus. But the Outback weighs a thousand pounds more.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Settling for less for a car or a wife can get awfully expensive.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your knowledge of Subaru's is a decade old. They haven't had head gasket isssues since 05 and that's after 120k miles.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a 4 cylinder, 2013 Outback.  Drove it many times loaded to the roof.  Never a problem.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor, and test drive a new Rav 4 first.We were in your shoes, till we drove the Rav, better in everyway, and cheaper.
View Quote

Except it's not better. Subaru's AWD system is second to none under $50k, you can probably negotiate a lower price on a Subaru because Toyota thinks their shit doesn't stink, and an outback isn't a fugly crossover.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The four is rated at 175 HP. The six is rated at 256 HP. She will be moving up from a 130 HP Ford Focus. But the Outback weighs a thousand pounds more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power in the mountains.

Get the 6 cylinder in your 2nd choice of color and don't look back.  You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#44]
We have a 4cyl Subaru and it's fine the gas mileage is great and while it doesn't pass like my Tundra does it does just fine on road trips.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

More power. The NA 2.5 can be kinda anemic at times.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Order one with what you want.  When you're forking out that much cash, you shouldn't have to compromise.
View Quote

Actually you do because Subaru's sell like 22LR at WalMart after Sandy Hook. The secret they are the perfect vehicle for the majority of anyone in the north that doesn't tow, is out. People don't care about being a poser redneck with a big truck that gets 12 MPG and never sees the dirt anymore. They let reliability and capability rule.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#47]
My Daughter has the 4 cyl. Subie...
It's a pooch.
You will be pissed every time you use your right foot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#48]
did you stop by to pick-up a rainbow or Bernie Sanders sticker first?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Power in the mountains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power in the mountains.

Get the 6 cylinder.
We've driven our 2015 Forester through the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia enough, visiting family. The 4 cylinder really struggles on those uphills.

If I lived anywhere with hills or more, I'd get the 6 cylinder. Here in Florida, the 4 does just fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wife unit has one of these on order:
http://www.zazzle.com/let_there_be_no_confusion_i_may_drive_a_subaru_car_bumper_sticker-128465702565973083

When you drive a Lezbaru she wont need a sticker, everyone will know. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top