User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
None here. Haven't big game hunted in years. Son is not well enough for me to travel much.

But I'm digging through my phone looking for your number. I totally dropped the ball! Shoot me a price and you PayPal. I'm going to figure out how to use the rail. I think I have a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot a deer with my hk91, does that count ?

I'll stick to my ruger
View Quote

I see you posting around, talking about non magnetic stainless steel and strangers touching your child.....

I guess your ok if you like Ruger.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Garand was actually designed to fire M1 Ball, which was a 174gr bullet at 2,640 FPS. The M2 ball you describe came soon afterwards, but then during the war M2 AP was frequently issued for use in Garands, which was a 168 @ 2,730. Bullet weight is really incidental to port pressure, it's mostly about the powder type and amount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I imagine that you're gonna need a Schuster(?) plug in order to use hunting ammo. I haven't, but I'm sure that plenty have and do.

Depends on the load, Garand Ammunition Article.. Unfortunately Federal has discontinued the Fusion Lite 170gr load.

No biggie, I reload. I can practice with surplused ball and load  afew handloads for hunting.

If you reload, the Garand was made (double check) to fire 150ish gr bullets at 2800fps with IMR 4895.   Just do that with a 150gr hunting bullet of your choice and you should be fine.  

IMO (if you're hunting in or east of the Appalachians): I'd go with the 30-30.  That ought to practically be able to take any hunting-related abuse you'd give it during deer season.   The Garand is real long (probably almost as long as your 308) and 9.5 lbs. Also, a rack grade Garand might not practically that good a choice effective against deer beyond 2-300 yards(that's the whole reason you're taking the 308 out instead of just going with the AR, yes?)

Bottom line: try it if you're interested.  But I think the 30-30 might be plenty.

The Garand was actually designed to fire M1 Ball, which was a 174gr bullet at 2,640 FPS. The M2 ball you describe came soon afterwards, but then during the war M2 AP was frequently issued for use in Garands, which was a 168 @ 2,730. Bullet weight is really incidental to port pressure, it's mostly about the powder type and amount.

I have heard that Remington 150gr. Cor Lokt is close enough to M2 ball that it'll work w/o any pressure issues.  Would you know if this is true or false?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have heard that Remington 150gr. Cor Lokt is close enough to M2 ball that it'll work w/o any pressure issues.  Would you know if this is true or false?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No biggie, I reload. I can practice with surplused ball and load  afew handloads for hunting.

If you reload, the Garand was made (double check) to fire 150ish gr bullets at 2800fps with IMR 4895.   Just do that with a 150gr hunting bullet of your choice and you should be fine.  

IMO (if you're hunting in or east of the Appalachians): I'd go with the 30-30.  That ought to practically be able to take any hunting-related abuse you'd give it during deer season.   The Garand is real long (probably almost as long as your 308) and 9.5 lbs. Also, a rack grade Garand might not practically that good a choice effective against deer beyond 2-300 yards(that's the whole reason you're taking the 308 out instead of just going with the AR, yes?)

Bottom line: try it if you're interested.  But I think the 30-30 might be plenty.

Best bet would be to call Remington and ask.  FWIW I heard the same thing, but I would still use an adjustable gas plug to be sure.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I can say that Remington 180gr core loke will flex a op rod like a bungy cord, but take down a buck with ease lol ya got lucky on both counts back in 1990 no damage to the garand at all but never shot that ammo thru that rifle again and it was a blue sky import to boot
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've often thought about taking my M1 or M1A hunting, but I've never needed more than one shot to drop a deer, and my Rem 700 is so much lighter.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot one with a garand years ago, she fell over without taking another step.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually been thinking about a M1A for my next rifle and using it to deer hunt with
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Best bet would be to call Remington and ask.  FWIW I heard the same thing, but I would still use an adjustable gas plug to be sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. Got my Schuster plug installed, and set to that load.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
None here. Haven't big game hunted in years. Son is not well enough for me to travel much.

But I'm digging through my phone looking for your number. I totally dropped the ball! Shoot me a price and you PayPal. I'm going to figure out how to use the rail. I think I have a good idea.
View Quote

Just shot you a text
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've often thought about taking my M1 or M1A hunting, but I've never needed more than one shot to drop a deer, and my Rem 700 is so much lighter.
View Quote

My ruger m77 works pretty damn well as well but I like to shoot untill they're down. Even with a heart shot a deer will run over a cliff or into a swamp. A moose can easily walk into a bog which us a huge pain. A bear running into a briar patch is literally a pain and a black bear can easily run 50 yards without a heart.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm taking my M1 out on Sunday. Longest shot is about 150 yards.i put a gas plug in and she's sighted in with Hornady 165 gr Superformance. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't but my father always did. He still has it. Not sure exactly how it would fit in the world of M1's. He bought the receiver off of Numrich back in the 50's when they offered 2 unissued receivers. At the time he was in the Guards and had to deal with the Worcester tornado. Some of the things he saw and had to do were never published, like pulling bodies down from telephone wires and such. He then bought a 4 star barrel for it along with a new stock and an old time gunsmith did the rest. I guess most things are hand fitted for it. Don't ask as I can answer anything about it by way of construction. The thing is flawless and he can still (pushing 85) punch a clover leaf with it at the 100. I don't know if it would be considered anything but a mongrel but I do know anything within 300-400 yards of that old bag would get a serious hurting.
View Quote

That's the perfect M1 for hunting use. Being mixed parts, with commercial barrel and stock you don't ruin a hard to replace original if you drop it stock-first on a big rock.

Pelt damage would likely be immense, but I've got a serious itch to kill a coyote with my M1.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
. Off to watch some band of brothers

]
View Quote

Just got a copy myself-found it on black Friday rack at walmart for $10.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I took mine out once, but didn't see any deer.  

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/user/gdetrick/media/photo-62.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h50/gdetrick/photo-62.jpg</a>
View Quote

About 11:00 position to your front sight, that blurred branch almost looks like a small deer in mid leap a couple hundred yards off.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shot quite a bit of it from a Garand before I knew better, didn't have any issues but maybe I got lucky. Via email, even Remington told me not to do it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Any reason I couldn't pull some m2 ball (150 gr FMJ) and replace the projectile with a hunting appropriate 150 grain bullet?  All other things being equal swapping 2 bullets of the same weight should be interchangeable??
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any reason I couldn't pull some m2 ball (150 gr FMJ) and replace the projectile with a hunting appropriate 150 grain bullet?  All other things being equal swapping 2 bullets of the same weight should be interchangeable??
View Quote

It'll be safe but there's no reason not to change the powder or adjust the charge for a more consistent load while you're at it. I've heard of very inconsistent powder charges in military ball ammo. Good enough for shooting Nazis before they shoot you, but if you're doing the work of pulling and changing bullets, why not make the most accurate hunting load you can while you're at it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thats all true enough. Ive killed enough deer with a 30-30 to be comfortable with it but I hate slings on lever guns and there are times i need both hands to climb and Im going to be hunting this area a lot. 99% of the time a lever gun is perfect. I knocked my savage around a bit on the way up. But its a savage. I was worried about dropping a $60 mag though
View Quote

I think the savage can take a decent amount of abuse from the outdoors (especially if its synthetic stocked - if you're worried about damage, I assume you already have a plastic stock?).  Remember, the M1's stock can get dented and break too (if you drop it a decent distance onto rock or concrete - we did it all the time in trick drill team practice, which admittedly is much harder on the stock than any practical use).  And IIRC a good Garand stock is much more than the (insanely priced) Savage magazines....  

For the 30-30, why don't you just install the sling on the side, Euro-military style?  (and a sling is a requirement on a rifle!)  
Original sling on Mauser 98k

Or, there are some of the 3-point military slings that attach to the sides. I have one from spectre on my M4 that even came with a canvas side attachment point which attaches to 'Murcian style downward facing sling swivels.  And, that sling kicks the S&$t out of the cheapo slings for practical carry, IMO.  I carry left side, muzzle down, and can quickly bring it up if needed, or sling it in back (muzzle down) without too much trouble when needed.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It'll be safe but there's no reason not to change the powder or adjust the charge for a more consistent load while you're at it. I've heard of very inconsistent powder charges in military ball ammo. Good enough for shooting Nazis before they shoot you, but if you're doing the work of pulling and changing bullets, why not make the most accurate hunting load you can while you're at it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:51:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the load, Garand Ammunition Article.. Unfortunately Federal has discontinued the Fusion Lite 170gr load.

That load was among those tested in the article I hotlinked at the top of this quote tree.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:53:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can say that Remington 180gr core loke will flex a op rod like a bungy cord, but take down a buck with ease lol ya got lucky on both counts back in 1990 no damage to the garand at all but never shot that ammo thru that rifle again and it was a blue sky import to boot
View Quote

How do you "flex a op rod like a bungy cord" with no damage to the rifle?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think the savage can take a decent amount of abuse from the outdoors (especially if its synthetic stocked - if you're worried about damage, I assume you already have a plastic stock?).  Remember, the M1's stock can get dented and break too (if you drop it a decent distance onto rock or concrete - we did it all the time in trick drill team practice, which admittedly is much harder on the stock than any practical use).  And IIRC a good Garand stock is much more than the (insanely priced) Savage magazines....  

For the 30-30, why don't you just install the sling on the side, Euro-military style?  (and a sling is a requirement on a rifle!)  

Or, there are some of the 3-point military slings that attach to the sides. I have one from spectre on my M4 that even came with a canvas side attachment point which attaches to 'Murcian style downward facing sling swivels.  And, that sling kicks the S&$t out of the cheapo slings for practical carry, IMO.  I carry left side, muzzle down, and can quickly bring it up if needed, or sling it in back (muzzle down) without too much trouble when needed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats all true enough. Ive killed enough deer with a 30-30 to be comfortable with it but I hate slings on lever guns and there are times i need both hands to climb and Im going to be hunting this area a lot. 99% of the time a lever gun is perfect. I knocked my savage around a bit on the way up. But its a savage. I was worried about dropping a $60 mag though

Im not worried about damage to my savage, I want something lighter. An m1 is almost 3lbs lighter.

Slings are on all my fighting rifles but not on my stalking guns. They are horrible while trying to still hunt. Switching the rifle from hand to hand Id hold onto the sling in with the rifle so it wont snag on brush. It tends to get in the way as I lever a round for a follow up.

I usually keep a sling or some 550 cord in my pocket to carry it out if I get something.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know but had it checked and everything was fine, when I shot I felt the op rod flex like mad, and thought uh oh this cant be good.  never shot it with that ammo again tho. Guy that bought the rifle from me a few years later still has it and shoots it often.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top