Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2015 10:38:13 AM EDT
So my parents, living in Ferguson, decided they wanted/needed an AR after I came home and showed mine off (11.5" BCM and gemtech trek).

My step dad has been a hunter all his life, and gets most of his info from gun magazines. He is overloaded with info and thinks he needs to spend $1500 on a Bushmaster or whatever else is pushed in the gun mags. So he was surprised to hear that I could get him a decent bare bones AR for under $700, red dot and light to come later. It would be the occasional range gun, but mostly a "stand in the corner just in case ferguson happens again in ferguson" type gun, plus I'm sure I'll get it eventually. So they gave me the funds and told me to go to town.  I didn't want to buy it completely in parts, since I'm not sure my step dad could assemble to the lower or build an upper.

So here's what I came up with, with the ability to wait and shop for some deals:

PSA 14.7" CHF 5.56 NATO 1:7 Mid A2 Profile - Pinned, with BCG and Charging Handle: $420 shipped
PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower Magpul MOE Edition: $155 shipped +$30 transfer fee (apparently thats normal in MO)
Magpul MBUS Sights and 2 D&H 30 round Magazines: $77.50
Total: $682.50

What would you have done differently on the same budget?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Locally I have seen sub $700 Bushmasters .I have lost some faith in psa

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably the same.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I would have bought a BCM upper because everyone knows they are the best.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Stick with BCM or spikes, PSA is a range toy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you did well with what you bought. I typically try to have first time AR folks go with the M&P Sport as they can be had typically for about $500 or a little more and come with decent iron sights.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks good to me. I like my PSA with the FN barrel. Have had 0 problems in 2000+ rounds.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#7]
When Ferguson happens, I have a nice 16" rock river for work with a red dot....

But if I didn't have to work, it would be my 11" pistol rig that I would have with me along with a chest rig.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not in my budget. The BCM uppers were $500+ and they didnt include a BCG or CH. Plus I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the PSA CHF and BCM BHF lines. I know my step dad won't.

I didn't even think of the M&P sport. Quantico tactical has them for $540 for .mil. I wanted the 1/7 vs 1/9 since he will rarely shoot it, and will probably shoot the better heavier ammo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

PSA is light years ahead of Spikes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
looks good.... all you need now is a 10 pack of mags and a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I think you did great!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I'd like to know what makes PSA "light years" ahead of Spikes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not in my budget. The BCM uppers were $500+ and they didnt include a BCG or CH. Plus I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the PSA CHF and BCM BHF lines. I know my step dad won't.

I didn't even think of the M&P sport. Quantico tactical has them for $540 for .mil. I wanted the 1/7 vs 1/9 since he will rarely shoot it, and will probably shoot the better heavier ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pay no attention to the tacticool crowd, they are a step below airsofters in matters of reality.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pay no attention to the tacticool crowd, they are a step below airsofters in matters of reality.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even run your guns bro?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of dueling penises?  Wait they do have crossed cannons, nvm.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget to buy them a few more magazines for Xmas!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know everyone has an opinion. And Tier 1 tactical rifle was not required nor desired. You should have heard the conversation I had with him on the phone trying to put the bolt and charging handle back inside the upper after he took it out to lube.

I was mostly looking to see if I overlooked anything or missed out on a crazy deal. M&P was a good option, but I think the PSA CHF is a better deal. Plus its what I would have gotten myself if I needed another AR.

ETA; and I wanted to avoid him buying a $1500  bushmaster or DPMS or something from a catalog or magazine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I think you did well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Primary Arms has the MBUS rear sight for $30
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stick with BCM or spikes,  PSA is a range toy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
PSA is a good way to go.

I always check for deals on slickguns to see what's available first.
http://www.slickguns.com/product/diamondback-db-15sb-223rem556nato-16-barrel-30-rnds-45999 No FA or dust cover, but not a bad deal for a first AR; add a case of ammo and it'd be around your target price.

eta: ooops, needs a rear sight too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So my parents, living in Ferguson, decided they wanted/needed an AR after I came home and showed mine off (11.5" BCM and gemtech trek).

My step dad has been a hunter all his life, and gets most of his info from gun magazines. He is overloaded with info and thinks he needs to spend $1500 on a Bushmaster or whatever else is pushed in the gun mags. So he was surprised to hear that I could get him a decent bare bones AR for under $700, red dot and light to come later. It would be the occasional range gun, but mostly a "stand in the corner just in case ferguson happens again in ferguson" type gun, plus I'm sure I'll get it eventually. So they gave me the funds and told me to go to town.  I didn't want to buy it completely in parts, since I'm not sure my step dad could assemble to the lower or build an upper.

So here's what I came up with, with the ability to wait and shop for some deals:

PSA 14.7" CHF 5.56 NATO 1:7 Mid A2 Profile - Pinned, with BCG and Charging Handle: $420 shipped
PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower Magpul MOE Edition: $155 shipped +$30 transfer fee (apparently thats normal in MO)

View Quote

Primary Arms has a good deal on a Troy upper if you're not boycotting them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think all the holiday turkey has played havoc with many members' sarcasm meters.

I think you did pretty good OP.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#26]
If have done the same but I wouldn't have went with a 16".

I have no desire for a middy that short.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LO freakin L
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If have done the same but I wouldn't have went with a 16".

View Quote

You mean would have?

Care to elaborate on the middy/14.7" issue? Wasn't aware of anything.

Also not a bad deal on the Troy upper, maybe a little flashy/ overkill.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why? I have two. Zero issues,
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I just had a thread the other night looking for an AR for my grandpa.  I can get Anderson lowers for $50 locally.  Went with a PSA premium magpul build kit, 3 GI mags, 200 rounds of AE 55gr, and a Magpul rear sight from Primary Arms.  This worked out to about $560 if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I thought WWYHD was "what would yankee hill do?"....
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#32]
$200 Bushmater Rebate

If he was set on a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
$200 Bushmater Rebate

If he was set on a Bushmaster.
View Quote

He wasn't but since it was in all the magazines, that's what he thought was good. Not knocking them, but for the price I could do better. And I didn't want to go too low budget like the diamondback for 399 either. Im thinking ahead when it gets passed down in 30 years haha.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not the FN made CHF barrels

A BCM bolt maybe a good idea
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Good choice, OP.  Should serve him very well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#36]
S&W M&P sport/ Ruger AR556 sold locally for 660.00 after tax.

Add a Bushnell TRS-25 with mount for ~120.00 delivered. http://www.primaryarms.com/bushnell-trophy-trs-25-mounts-red-dot-sight/p/kt-bs731303/

Add a magpul BUIS for ~40.00 delivered. http://www.primaryarms.com/mag248-blk/p/mag248-blk/

Ten 30 round aluminum mags for ~85.00 delivered. http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/1239/

500 rounds of ammunition for initial zeroing, familiarity fire, stock ~130.00  http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW223PFMJ55&name=WPA+(WOLF)+.223+55grn+FMJ+20rd+Box&groupid=21

Total: 1035.00 well under his expected 1500.00, and he gets a warrantied rifle ready to go.

Edit.  If he isn't one of those warranty people, then this: http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-a2-premium-moe-rifle-kit.html  

and your lower.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't forget a light and some time with either you or someone else familiar with the AR who can show him how to handle it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both. They are essentially the same gun. Same barrel, same quality parts, same specs, etc, but the Spikes has a slightly better trigger and the finish is nicer. The PSA will outshoot the Spikes half the week, the Spikes will outshoot the PSA half the week. It comes down to the shooter and load every single time. Same shooter and both with a load they each like, which I have one hand load they both shoot very well, and there is really no difference at all in the groups except for called fliers. Best five shot groups and ten shot groups , same shooter, same optic, same day, one will be a .25MOA better one time the other .25MOA better the other time. When the totals are added up, you can't slide the side of a penny in the difference.

This is comparing a Spikes M4LE complete rifle with a PSA premium.

Some people still like to get the Spikes on reputation and roll mark and pay a bit more for the feeling of security they get and that's fine. That's why I bought one for my son. Some know that there is really no difference and are comfortable going with a company with less time in the game, which is why I bought the premium upper for a buddy to put on a home build lower. It's not hard to put together an AR and as long as the specs are there, one is as good as the other until you get to the higher end semi custom or custom guns with other than CHF barrels.

I'll put it like this. Having both around and shooting them, I will put that PSA against a Spikes any day, and I would put a Spikes against a PSA premium any day. It would honestly be a major surprise as to which lasted the longest, and which was more accurate, and with what loads.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think dad will be deploying so it's probably fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, tons of military & LEO's are tripping over themselves to get a...PSA...

All things being equal OP, you did well by your folks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

not bad,  we built a psa/spikes mixmaster with a Geisle SSA trigger for 700 and change a few months ago.  For that use if it goes bang everytime and is minute of man at 100 yards who cares if it doesnt have all the bells and whistles. Ours currently sports a carry handle instead of the magpul sights.  It is what it is, a KISS rifle.

speed

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At up close & personal distances, even out to 300 the difference is negligible. ESPECIALLY for COM engagement.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're right, tons of military & LEO's are tripping over themselves to get a...PSA...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, actually they do. FN makes complete rifles for the military. The PSA uses the same barrel, has used the same bolt FN, carrier, FSB, and many other parts. The premium line always has a a bolt that is HPT / MPI tested to mil specs, and same with all other parts that matter. The only differences are the upper receiver itself, which is sourced from one of the same vendors used in mil weapons and the lower which is the same. The only difference is the roll mark. The buffer tube may or may not be mil spec, but I am not 100% sure. They do sell a mil spec PSA buffer tube. All in all , the only difference is the name.

The specs are there for all to see. If you can see something that doesn't meet the spec equal to and sufficient for the military , the you post it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#45]
You also might want to read on the premium upper, that it "Is made right here in the USA for us by a mil spec manufacturer."

It is no secret that most everything comes from FN, which is right down the street 10  minutes from PSA. So, if you think FN isn't good and doesn't meet specs, you might want to tell the military, cause they're buying plenty of the same things. The only difference is the lower receiver. Hell, at one time they came with Daniel Defense LPKs. I bought a PSA LPK a couple of years ago, when the panic was still going, and they sourced them from DD when they couldn't get their normal supplier.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#46]
You're a good son.

Next is to encourage both of them to shoot it until it seems like second nature. The closer you can come to that, the better.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#47]
For a defensive carbine, I would get the Colt 6720 from PSA for $799.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You also might want to read on the premium upper, that it "Is made right here in the USA for us by a mil spec manufacturer."

It is no secret that most everything comes from FN, which is right down the street 10  minutes from PSA. So, if you think FN isn't good and doesn't meet specs, you might want to tell the military, cause they're buying plenty of the same things. The only difference is the lower receiver. Hell, at one time they came with Daniel Defense LPKs. I bought a PSA LPK a couple of years ago, when the panic was still going, and they sourced them from DD when they couldn't get their normal supplier.
View Quote

Great post.
It always amazes me to hear / read the spikes fan boys trying to say that spikes is better than "X" brand. Those guys get sucked into it by the gun rags and because spikes somethings  ships with a 'cool guy' patch. Guys who use guns professionally know that FN is making most of PSAs stuff and I challenge you to find another manufacturer that is higher quality than FN.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Pull the trigger, does it go bang?
Then it's tactical enough for home defense.

Some of you guys, I swear.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pull the trigger, does it go bang?
Then it's tactical enough for home defense.

Some of you guys, I swear.
View Quote

This. The BCM and Spikes, et al leg humpers will drive you nuts and make you waste money.
Op did fine on PSA
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top