Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2015 12:33:49 AM EDT
Tonight, killing is my business and business is good! The death count is up to 7 so far.

I'm following the technique in this guy's youtube video and it is working like a champ on these Norwegian roof rats.

Within a few days I will be nailing them with an air rifle and night vision.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Rats are so nasty.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rats are so nasty.
View Quote

Live trap wasn't working and they were getting really destructive. They chewed out all the mortar around the dryer vent to the outside and today when I did a load of laundry the washing machine started spraying water all over the place because they had chewed holes in the washing machine drain hose.

Texas being a death penalty state and all, they should have known better.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
How does someone get rats in their house? Serious question. Is it a Texas thing?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
In before dinner pix
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How does someone get rats in their house? Serious question. Is it a Texas thing?
View Quote

Live in the country, if it's cold they will get it inside, if their hungry they will find food guess where
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately, no matter how well kept and clean your house is, it happens...  You walk outside garage/interior door to put food on grill and little satan's of health hazard and destruction can and will slip in without detection.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:51:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe you don't know, but rats are willful little furry bastards that can swim up your sewer into your toilet, fall 5 stories and run away, and fit through any hole their head does.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]
We've been fighting field mice the past month. I finally broke down and put poison out. Haven't seen any since.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

All it takes is one curious rat.Through the roof, open garage door, etc. The video stated they only need a 1/4 hole to gnaw on to gain entry.

They come inside for food and shelter.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We've been fighting field mice the past month. I finally broke down and put poison out. Haven't seen any since.
View Quote

Has "the smell" come around yet
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, no matter how well kept and clean your house is, it happens...  You walk outside garage/interior door to put food on grill and little satan's of health hazard and destruction can and will slip in without detection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]
That's a lot of rats in your house.  I may get a rat, but never more than one so far.

Our cat does a great job cleaning up outside
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Live in the country, if it's cold they will get it inside, if their hungry they will find food guess where
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do live in the country on 20 acres. No rats and I've never even heard of anyone around having rats in their house.

Like I said, it was a genuine question, not trying to be a dick.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:57:52 AM EDT
[#15]
So Im visiting a family cabin in OK.

MIL put out a live trap as there was something in the crawlspace a few days ago when we showed up.

Caught a pack rat(big one). Told the fam as they rolled in for dinner tonight I would let it go.

Walked that fucker down to the lake, tied a string to the trap and sent him swimming.

I was only carrying a G20 and didnt want to fuck up the trap
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Central to south Texas has fairly mild winters but when we start getting the first cold snaps every year, the Norwegian rats start looking for a warm place to stay. If you look carefully at the pic in the OP you can see that they can get fairly large--big enough that they can chew their way through just about anything. I'll edit this post in a few minutes to add a picture of what they did to a sheet metal dryer vent duct.

The Norwegian rats are serious climbers--when I lived in Houston they were often called "tree rats" because of their ability to easily climb trees. They often climb trees, get onto the roof of a house and find a way to get into the attic, which is where they spend their time. Fiberglass insulation does not bother them at all. Being rodents, they constantly chew on stuff and  will chew paths to get to water and food.

They are particularly fond of bird seed, squirrel food, etc.. so if there are any bird or squirrel feeders in the yard and/or bird/squirrel food in the garage they will find it. They are also quite smart. In my Houston apartment years ago, I had a squirrel feeder on the patio and of course the rats found it. I borrowed a friend's air rifle and laser sight and took a shot at a rat. Unfortunately I missed, but they are quick learners. When they would see my GF through the patio door, they would ignore her. When they saw me, they would run like hell.

A house with rats is not necessarily a dirty or unkept place at all--at least in Texas--the rats are just incredibly good at getting in. When the weather gets cold you have to keep an eye out for them.

ETA:
Below is a picture of two wall plates for a sheet metal dryer vent duct. The damage to the one on the left is from Norwegian rats chewing on it to gain entry. That was *after* they chewed through all the mortar around the duct and vent on the outside.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes they get voted in.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even just country, we get them in Austin too. Damn things will jump from a branch onto your roof and chew
through whatever they need to get into the attic.

Never made it into the living space, you can hear them screwing around in the attic and go find whatever hole they
made, seal it, and snap trap them before it gets bad.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you like snakes, they can get in easier
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#20]
FWIW sammymaker keeps a tidy ship. We ALWAYS have mice get into our house built in 2002. I battle them every fall.

That's just what they do.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Also congrats on the kills OP.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I do live in the country on 20 acres. No rats and I've never even heard of anyone around having rats in their house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rats are a common household past around the world. Not as common as mice in some areas, but if there is human civilization, somewhere there are rats.

If your area doesn't have any, you're lucky.

With that said I've never had to deal with any, nor any mice. I have had to deal with squirrels in the house, raccoons in the attic and possums in the garage though. But rats are a pretty common problem throughout the world.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can handle snakes.

Scorpions can eat a dick.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best response in this thread.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I go through about 40 rats, 10 mice, and five rabbits a week.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I was expecting it, but never came. They were only in the garage and attic though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FWIW sammymaker keeps a tidy ship. We ALWAYS have mice get into our house built in 2002. I battle them every fall.

View Quote

yep, we have a very clean house but are surrounded by hay fields and the mice are sly little fuckers that seem to get in no matter what......
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#28]
when we used to have pigs/horses the rats would live off their sweet feed/corn feed in the barn

we'd load up revolvers and lever action .22s with rat shot and slay their asses a few times a week. our best was something like 16 in a night.  flip the light and drop their asses from the rafters, great entertainment
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can handle snakes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can handle snakes.

Agreed on the scorpions!!!!

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nope. I was expecting it, but never came. They were only in the garage and attic though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You NEED to start playing the lotto Lucky sonva gun!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
yep, we have a very clean house but are surrounded by hay fields and the mice are sly little fuckers that seem to get in no matter what......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes indeed, also the little ones are too quick for a regular trap.

I use the tomcat glue traps. Basically kill them on my way to work with a set of channel locks every morning.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

when we used to have pigs/horses the rats would live off their sweet feed/corn feed in the barn

we'd load up revolvers and lever action .22s with rat shot and slay their asses a few times a week. our best was something like 16 in a night.  flip the light and drop their asses from the rafters, great entertainment
View Quote
Can I come shoot rats and eat that crappy BBQ with you?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm getting setup with an air rifle and NV scope to hunt rats. If anyone in central Texas or the hill country knows some good rat hunting spots and is will to share, please let me know. For the uninitiated, check out the night rat shooting videos on youtube. It's like a whack-a-mole game! LOL

ETA:

Check out all the rats at 2:23!!!

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#34]
In before PETA raises hell.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#35]
7 rats=30-50 more somewhere nearby. Sounds/looks like a target rich environment.

I have fond memories of going to the dump in the '60s with .22s. Almost the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
7 rats=30-50 more somewhere nearby. Sounds/looks like a target rich environment.

I have fond memories of going to the dump in the '60s with .22s. Almost the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
View Quote

I told my 90 year old mother that when I have my air rifle set up I'm going to put some bait and water in the back yard, get up on the roof, and play sniper at night. She thinks that's a cool idea!

Up until a few months ago some Mexicans lived next door and they had chickens. That probably increased the local rat population quite a bit.

BTW, final 24-hr. score was 9 rats.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damned if I know, I don't even have any neighbors and I got two this year, never had them before.

One got stunned by a mouse trap, so I ran downstairs and shot him, the next was under my lumber pile outside.

Big ugly fuckers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Our cats keep them away.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#39]
FYI:

They are either:

Roof Rats (rattus rattus)

Or

Norway rats (rattus norvgevicus)

Just helping keep the facts straight for the funerals.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Pet rats are cool. wild rats are vermin that need to be wiped out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Cat.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy Crap--- it's a billion dollar a year industry.

We do a metric ton of rat work around here. It's one the top revenue streams for us. Rats FTMFW!!!

Many many many houses get rats and you will never know it. Check the attic and crawl space regularly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pet rats?
You mean snake food?

It is time to prepare the homer bucket of death. I hate meeces to pieces.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice kill streak!

We just noticed a few mice decided to move in as the temp has been dropping.  Hopefully I've stopped them before they got dug in and started breeding.  Got 2 the first night, 1 the second, empty traps and no signs of them after the 3rd...

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In before PETA raises hell.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm getting setup with an air rifle and NV scope to hunt rats. If anyone in central Texas or the hill country knows some good rat hunting spots and is will to share, please let me know. For the uninitiated, check out the night rat shooting videos on youtube. It's like a whack-a-mole game! LOL

https://youtu.be/3BXqNOqJswE

ETA:

https://youtu.be/iMt8sdsRpL4

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

That was far more entertaining than I had expected.    5 stars * * * * *, highly recommended.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Maybe you don't know, but rats are willful little furry bastards that can swim up your sewer into your toilet, fall 5 stories and run away, and fit through any hole their head does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and that is why I don't kill snakes !!!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nice kill streak!

We just noticed a few mice decided to move in as the temp has been dropping.  Hopefully I've stopped them before they got dug in and started breeding.  Got 2 the first night, 1 the second, empty traps and no signs of them after the 3rd...

View Quote

I battle field mice before every first freeze each fall.

My record is 6 in one night...I just kept baiting traps and hearing them snap, they must have a made a family exodus.

No mice caught for months, then poof, light a fire in the stove on a cold night and I take out half the local population.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Pet rats?

You mean snake food?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pet rats?

You mean snake food?

I've got a few leap of faith buckets that are paying off like slot machines right now.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Beat me to it.

Great compilation.  

I plan to spend a few evenings out in the barn this fall exterminating the little buggars
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top