BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Excuse my ignorance - is the ride on the left a 240? Or an imported Skyline?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Supra>3000GT
Rx7>Supra>3000GT

NSX>Supra>RX7>3000GT.

The 3000GT is heavy but was great as a gran turismo car.

Mods make them decent in the power range but they're rarely in the same hp ranges as modified Supras.  And don't get me started on FD RX7 reliability.
Meh my FD was a monster. I beat the absolute shit out of it at drift events monthly and I couldn't kill the thing if I tried. Cam at Pettit Racing made damn sure of that. Miss my car.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o240/fdrifting/fd3.jpg

Excuse my ignorance - is the ride on the left a 240? Or an imported Skyline?

It's a 240. An S13 coupe. The Silvia front end throws some people off.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Had a chance to drive one in the rain. So stabile it was'nt fun
View Quote

Yeah, but was it stable?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nope, 1996 (Turbo) was only available with an automatic in the US. I've got a brochure for one somewhere, I was looking at them that year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They did ok, but suffered from reliability issues.  Today it would be like if Walmart sold a cheap Chinese supercar.  It was pre-merger, but just out of the k car era Chrysler and Mitusishi were in bed together in the '90s.  If they had spent a few hundred more in reliability and interior quality, they could have been a much better car.  

What probably killed the Supra at the time in the U.S. was that it was sold as an automatic only version, but targeted at car enthusiasts.  People who drove hot hatches matured and made enough money to afford something better turned their noses up at them and bought better cars with standard transmissions.  My memory of the 3000gt was that they were either owned by drug dealers or kids with rich parents.  "I pay too much in taxes" said no one who drove a 3000gt back in the day.

They made the Supra in a manual (5sp for N/A cars and 6sp for turbo cars) until they stopped importing them in 1998. What killed them was probably the price, some had sticker prices a touch over 50k. In 93-95 that was a ton of money for a Toyota.

Nope, 1996 (Turbo) was only available with an automatic in the US. I've got a brochure for one somewhere, I was looking at them that year.

IIRC they couldn't pass emissions with the manual in time for that model year.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had two 3000GT non turbos. I actually loved the car and thought they looked good and of course wanted the VR4 but I sure wasn't ever going to spend that kind of money at my age. One thing I started noticing when I was into ownership of the second one: Just about every time I saw another on the road it was either a woman driving it or a black guy. I ended up flipping mine and totaling it.(Very bad luck/flukey thing happened to cause me to flip). Otherwise, it would be very difficult to flip one, trust me, I know.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yeah, but was it stable?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but was it stable?

Ease up man. I'm pretty sure he's Italian.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

QFT RX7 turbo FTW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Supra>3000GT
Rx7>Supra>3000GT

QFT RX7 turbo FTW

Do you even Caterham bro?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The sneaky fast car from that era was the Dodge Omni GLH.  

Chrysler/Dodge had some really ugly cars back then.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They did ok, but suffered from reliability issues.  Today it would be like if Walmart sold a cheap Chinese supercar.  It was pre-merger, but just out of the k car era Chrysler and Mitusishi were in bed together in the '90s.  If they had spent a few hundred more in reliability and interior quality, they could have been a much better car.  

What probably killed the Supra at the time in the U.S. was that it was sold as an automatic only version, but targeted at car enthusiasts.  People who drove hot hatches matured and made enough money to afford something better turned their noses up at them and bought better cars with standard transmissions.  My memory of the 3000gt was that they were either owned by drug dealers or kids with rich parents.  "I pay too much in taxes" said no one who drove a 3000gt back in the day.

They made the Supra in a manual (5sp for N/A cars and 6sp for turbo cars) until they stopped importing them in 1998. What killed them was probably the price, some had sticker prices a touch over 50k. In 93-95 that was a ton of money for a Toyota.

A T56 was cheap
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That wasn't the bad part. The bad part was MCA-JET.

I've had a bunch of Starions and Conquests.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a Starion and the best things I can say about it was that it was fast and easy to work on. The interior was nice too with three way adjustable seats but I was usually under the car more than in it. God-awful 2 injector throttle body system that would lean out and eat turbos. The block and lower end was damned near indestructible though.

There were a couple very nice Starions at Chryslers at Carlisle this year. I hadn't learned that much about them, but a guy I spoke with told me a bit about them. I didn't realize how expensive they were for the era and when he got to how the EFI worked I was blown away. I can't believe there are any left on the road with how they engineered that. A second injector coming on at higher boost in a way that almost guarantees leaning out and burning up a piston eventually? No thanks.

That wasn't the bad part. The bad part was MCA-JET.

I've had a bunch of Starions and Conquests.

There was and maybe still is a place out in California that will remove the jet valves and weld up the jet valve holes. Steel pieces in an aluminum head that are designed to get hot, thanks DSM. If I had unlimited money I would get another one and do a billet head with a custom MPI setup.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As was stated before, it was a pig, poor handling, shitty to work on(comparable to the 89-94 300ZX's, same V6 TT config in a tight engine bay).
View Quote

Yep, watched many a 3000GT/Stealth wallow through corners at Road Atlanta, Sebring, Roebling, Barber, etc over the years.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolute nightmare to work on. Laying underneath, you can't even see daylight! Lots of tech for the time but as mentioned, just too much shit in a small package.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a relative who owns multiple super cars, including a Ferrari or two, a Ford GT and a 911/993 Turbo S. He also has a 3000GT VR4 (twin turbo) that, like everything else, he bought when new. He's said more than once that he though the Mitsu was an incredible bang for the buck.  

I don't know cars, and as long as I have a good 4wd pickup, I'm happy.  But he's a car guy, with enough experience in these matters that I trust him.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I also had a red 1995 RX7 with a giant single turbo.  It was like driving a 4 wheeled CR500 2-stroke on the street.  I really learned to hate apexi seals.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't bother.  Incredibly heavy pig that's difficult to work on or modify.
View Quote

Yep
Buy a WRX instead.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The Omni GLHS.

"Goes Like Hell, Seriously"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The sneaky fast car from that era was the Dodge Omni GLH.  

Chrysler/Dodge had some really ugly cars back then.

The Omni GLHS.

"Goes Like Hell, Seriously"

Somemore.

They only produced 500 of the 86 S cars. They made 1000 of the 87s which were better looking, as they were based off of the Charger. The 87s don't command much money today in comparison to the 86 cars. Either way, they're still very affordable to own.

In 86 there were 500 S cars made. 87 brought the Shadow based CSX, Shelby Lancer, and Charger based GLHS. 88 only had the CSX Thrifty rental cars.  In 89 there was the most aggressively styled of the Shelby Dodge cars. There were 500 CSXs built that year. All in exotic red with a deep and low front fascia along with wide side GFX and the rear wing to match. It was the first vehicle in the world to come with a VNT turbo (sorry Porsche fans) and also composite wheels. 89 also saw the first Shelby truck which was the V8 Dakota. Nothing impressive by today's standard for sure, but it did wring a lot of performance out of the platform and it was the first midsize truck to come equipped with a V8.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What made them so difficult to work on, just not enough room??
View Quote

Feast your eyes.

The Seventh Circle of Hell
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Feast your eyes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feast your eyes.

Still looks a lot more accessible than a lot of modern engine bays.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
1988 JDM Honda/Acura Legend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: It was the first vehicle in the world to come with a VNT turbo (sorry Porsche fans)

This is the first I've heard of this. Link?

ETA: I read a little about it on the wiki page. I would be interested to know who made that turbo and how it differed from the Garrett unit. Sounds like a dog of a motor at only 188HP from a V6, but it would be interesting to read more about those too.

I guess Porsche and Chrysler were the first to sell VNT turbo cars to the masses in 90. The CSX was only available in America and the legend only in Japan. Cool fact. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feast your eyes.

Modern engine bays have the plastic crap on them for NVH reasons. When you get that off there's generally a lot more room than one would think. No shields etc. in those pics...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah, no shit. The one I drove had the "Active Aerowork" or whatever they called it. The rear spoiler would pop up automatically at a certain speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A technological tour de force.  Neat for their time.  I hated working on them.

You could get that fucker in a Spyder variant as well, with a power retractable hard top.

Yeah, no shit. The one I drove had the "Active Aerowork" or whatever they called it. The rear spoiler would pop up automatically at a certain speed.
and electronic  mufflers

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#26]
and electronic mufflers
View Quote

What the hell is an "electronic muffler"?  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, the Evo crowd was ok for me, but the 3kGT was actually one of three cars I ended up refusing to allow in the shop.

Oh, and fuck all your VR4 love, GD, the correct answer is 323 GTX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck. Those. Cars.

Fuck them. Fuck them to hell and back.

Yeah, the cars are meh at best, truly mediocre, way less than the sum of their parts, but what really makes them suck is their owners. Holy shit they were universally difficult bastards.

They're either obsessively compulsive and spend retarded amounts of money keeping them running, or they're cheapskates that freak out when they find out just how hard and expensive they are to make run decently.

I had more issues with Evo owners than the guys with 3KGTs.  That's not to say that I didn't run whenever I saw one pull up.

Yeah, the Evo crowd was ok for me, but the 3kGT was actually one of three cars I ended up refusing to allow in the shop.

Ha! 323 GTX When you can find one!

I've only seen one. And that was in a magazine..Not many where produced or imported it seems.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:54:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a buddy with one that burnt and he said if you poured a coke in the engine bay the ground underneath would stay dry
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You could get that fucker in a Spyder variant as well, with a power retractable hard top.
View Quote

Just saw this on my local craigslist today.
A unicorn.

3000GT Spyder

Guy appears to have all manner of interesting Japanese sports cars. 2 NSXs, 280zx, 2nd gen MR2 (and a mustang).

ETA: As somebody who has a couple of 80s toyota pickups, I really feel for those who have a lust for that era Japanese performance cars and live here in California. Getting older stuff to pass smog is a cast iron motherfucker and gets even worse as these things age and parts become more scarce. My trucks are pretty analog, I can't imagine nursing something full of what was once whiz bang and now dreadfully obsolete technology through our emissions testing. Our junkyards have a pretty steady selection of 80s and early 90s performance cars in them that look like they were probably driven there. The Starquest cars make me sad when I see them, I so lusted after those in my younger days.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

A unicorn.

3000GT Spyder

Guy appears to have all manner of interesting Japanese sports cars. 2 NSXs, 280zx, 2nd gen MR2 (and a mustang).

ETA: As somebody who has a couple of 80s toyota pickups, I really feel for those who have a lust for that era Japanese performance cars and live here in California. Getting older stuff to pass smog is a cast iron motherfucker and gets even worse as these things age and parts become more scarce. My trucks are pretty analog, I can't imagine nursing something full of what was once whiz bang and now dreadfully obsolete technology through our emissions testing. Our junkyards have a pretty steady selection of 80s and early 90s performance cars in them that look like they were probably driven there. The Starquest cars make me sad when I see them, I so lusted after those in my younger days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A unicorn.

3000GT Spyder

I have a friend in CA who keeps a wad of cash on him at all times to purchase old turbo mopars which people can't get to pass smog any longer. It's a shame how that system works really.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but was it stable?

Ninjas

I'm just a shity speller ok?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:50:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a friend in CA who keeps a wad of cash on him at all times to purchase old turbo mopars which people can't get to pass smog any longer. It's a shame how that system works really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A unicorn.

3000GT Spyder

It really is.

There have been several attempts at bring back the rolling 25 year exemption, allowing collector registration and even paying a yearly "fee" in leu of smog for older vehicles. All have been soundly rejected by the state legislature.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
RX7>Supra>3000GT
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Skyline for the win...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Compare it to a new coupé and the weight isn't so bad. In AWD,twin turbo,gloriously overdone 90s interior and so forth form it's lighter than a Challenger or Camaro on the lot now.
Maybe that's not saying too much.

The Japanese bubble was a glorious era for cars,everybody could sink money into halo cars and there weren't stupid pedestrian impact standards so sporty cars could look sporty. I would be happy,and broke and taking the bus occasionally when all 3 were down for repairs,with an MR2 turbo,FD RX7 and Z32 300ZX.

There is a tuning/repair  shop in the industrial park my SO has her studio,that has imported some very,very nice examples  of Skylines,RX7s,Supras,Evos,Cefiras,GTOs,Chasers etc from Japan. The cars the owners drive would have cost an absolute fortune to build in their day:Volk rims,Bride seats,pretty much every  highend aftermarket doodad and gizmo possible to throw at them. It's too bad the U.S. has the 25 year rule,considering what nice RX7s and Supras sell for in the US you could otherwise have bargains on really cool cars. I can't justify one as I'm in the States in summer and couldn't let myself drive something that nice in the winter.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The conquest was better and easier to work on
View Quote

The Conquest/ Starion was sssllooooow and a bit awkward in handling. The 3000 was an incredibly well-behaved car -handled better than just about anything out there at the time. The VR4 was fast and nimble, twin turbos had titanium vanes for durability. Loved those cars.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I always wanted one.  I had a turbo 1990 Plymouth Laser that was fun to drive, but had a lot of electrical problems.

A friend had an older Supra in the 90's that I always thought was ugly.  I never knew how awesome they were until years later.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

1243. I've owned three, two street one PGT rally car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck. Those. Cars.

Fuck them. Fuck them to hell and back.

Yeah, the cars are meh at best, truly mediocre, way less than the sum of their parts, but what really makes them suck is their owners. Holy shit they were universally difficult bastards.

They're either obsessively compulsive and spend retarded amounts of money keeping them running, or they're cheapskates that freak out when they find out just how hard and expensive they are to make run decently.

I had more issues with Evo owners than the guys with 3KGTs.  That's not to say that I didn't run whenever I saw one pull up.

Ha! 323 GTX When you can find one!

I've only seen one. And that was in a magazine..Not many where produced or imported it seems.

1243. I've owned three, two street one PGT rally car.

1243? Huh. I guess that isn't too bad of a number. Still rarely seen. I would have bought one if they had been more available.

Even more so, i would have liked to have the Cossworth Escort. Or, the 94/95 Mazda/Escort GT with swapped in 323 GTX running gear.. Different.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Porsche also didn't use a VNT until the 996TT, so 2000ish.

The 964T didn't have anything tricky in turbos at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted: It was the first vehicle in the world to come with a VNT turbo (sorry Porsche fans)

This is the first I've heard of this. Link?

ETA: I read a little about it on the wiki page. I would be interested to know who made that turbo and how it differed from the Garrett unit. Sounds like a dog of a motor at only 188HP from a V6, but it would be interesting to read more about those too.

I guess Porsche and Chrysler were the first to sell VNT turbo cars to the masses in 90. The CSX was only available in America and the legend only in Japan. Cool fact. Thanks for sharing.

Porsche also didn't use a VNT until the 996TT, so 2000ish.

The 964T didn't have anything tricky in turbos at all.

Now that's something. I wonder if they used them on a concept car, or in some sort of racing? I've had several guys try to tell me that they were the first to do it with cars. I'd never heard of the JDM Legend until you posted and now this! Great posts from you in this thread good sir.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I liked mine! VR4, fun to drive & never ran across a mustang I couldn't out run!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Supra>3000GT
Rx7>Supra>3000GT

QFT RX7 turbo FTW

I want one so bad, but they are an expensive toy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

A unicorn.

3000GT Spyder

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A unicorn.

3000GT Spyder

I used to be a Mitsubishi salesman back in the day. I sold one of the first Spyders in Texas.

They had the top chopped off by ASR and converted.  The car was ahead of it's time. The VCU was a nice touch  

A CEO for a food distributor came and bought one on his American Express platinum card.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It hauled ass and could be souped up heavily.

They're still in high demand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The conquest was better and easier to work on
I had a fully decked out Starion, and a U2 mullet  .  Sweet ass car - but no AWD.

It hauled ass and could be souped up heavily.

They're still in high demand

While the Starion and Conquest were good looking cars, They were 3100 lbs and I would regularly walk them in my 85 GLH T and in my 87 GLHS it wouldn't be close.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

and electronic mufflers

Basically just a cutout switch

http://www.3swiki.org/Active_Exhaust

but they hyped back in the day as these cars are soo high tech even the mufflers are electronic

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No time, is the right time for Mitsubishi!
View Quote

This,  I worked in a Dodge dealership when those were on sale. I also spent 15 years racing mitsubishi cars . I would never own one . They can be made to worK but it takes time and money.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I used to be a Mitsubishi salesman back in the day. I sold one of the first Spyders in Texas.

They had the top chopped off by ASR and converted.  The car was ahead of it's time. The VCU was a nice touch  

A CEO for a food distributor came and bought one on his American Express platinum card.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A unicorn.

3000GT Spyder

I tried to buy a used 1996 Spyder in 1999.  When I took it for a test drive, the retractable hardtop broke with the roof at its highest point in its arc.  I let them keep it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top