Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought this was about Colt's new rifle...
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:29:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I stopped by a bookstore today and they were completely out of anything by James S. A. Corey.

Which is insulting, in a way, as that's a local author.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I stopped by a bookstore today and they were completely out of anything by James S. A. Corey.

View Quote

Yeah, except for the one bookstore at the mall that has a lot of out of print stuff I don't even bother going into any of the ones around here anymore because they never have anything I'm looking for. I just checked on Amazon and they have the first 3 books in a boxed set now for $24.49 which is a damn good deal because when I bought the first 3 they were $17 each.

Amazon Boxed Set Deal

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, except for the one bookstore at the mall that has a lot of out of print stuff I don't even bother going into any of the ones around here anymore because they never have anything I'm looking for. I just checked on Amazon and they have the first 3 books in a boxed set now for $24.49 which is a damn good deal because when I bought the first 3 they were $17 each.

Amazon Boxed Set Deal

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon Boxed Set Deal

Yeah, I was just gonna Amzon them. I really want to read The Churn.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 2:29:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazon Boxed Set Deal

I do too but, as much as it shames me to say it...I don't have a Kindle.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon Boxed Set Deal

me either, but my phone and tablet both have kindle apps...i think my laptop might have one too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought James S. A. Corey was actually two people?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

"It's pronounced An-oo-bis, the Egyptian god of the dead...or Anu-bis works too I guess..."

Good episode tonight, looks like they're going to end the season where I expected once they slowed the pace down. Next week is gonna be...really vomit-y.

View Quote

Which is annoying. We're going to get to the good stuff, and we'll have to wait a year to see all of the thrilling bits.

m
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Amazon Boxed Set Deal

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon Boxed Set Deal

Local retail bookstores are over.  Unless they're some sort of specialty store, like one that carries out-of-print or antique books.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Local retail bookstores are over.  Unless they're some sort of specialty store, like one that carries out-of-print or antique books.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazon Boxed Set Deal

Yeah which is really disappointing from my perspective, for my whole life until the past few years when they all started going out of business I spent a lot of time in local bookstores, I love bookstores. The way they smell, being able to flip through something or have something just catch your eye.

It was always a double edged sword, I'd have a whole slew of books I'd heard about that I'd want to look at build up in my head for a couple of weeks and then I'd go to the bookstore and draw a complete blank, and of course as soon as I was driving home then I'd remember "Oh I wanted to look for..." but at the same time just browsing around I found a lot of books that I wound up loving that I'd never heard of before I flipped through a few pages and said,"Hey this looks good." That's how I started on Game of Thrones back in '96, just saw it at random in the book store. Oddly enough that one is now worth a fair bit since it's a first edition hardback with the silver foil cover. It's hard to luck into stuff like that just scrolling through an Amazon list.

Amazon is awesome but sometimes there is too much info right there and I vapor lock when I'm just trying to pick up something non-specific but in a genre I've decided I wanted to read something in.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
  Which is annoying. We're going to get to the good stuff, and we'll have to wait a year to see all of the thrilling bits.
m

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"It's pronounced An-oo-bis, the Egyptian god of the dead...or Anu-bis works too I guess..."
Good episode tonight, looks like they're going to end the season where I expected once they slowed the pace down. Next week is gonna be...really vomit-y.

m

I think the next two, especially "Leviathan Wakes" have the potential to be pretty thrilling, but yeah they're going to cliffhanger it I'll bet; hell I'm pretty sure I know right where they'll do it too.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#13]
"I kinda want to blast it."

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"I kinda want to blast it."

View Quote

Yeah I'm actually procrastinating instead of working and have it on again, that was one of my favorite lines from that one. Especially the "hell yeah" looks on everyone's faces when he says it.

I also loved it when Miller tells Holden that if he touches him again he'll end him, and Holden looks back at the others and there's Amos with this goofy look on his face that was a combo of "That's reasonable" and "I like this dude."

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, they need to do double the episodes next season.

I'm still slowly working on my man cave bit by bit each month.  In about a month or two I expect to have my man cave set up with Phillips Hue lights and I'm looking forwarding to watching The Expanse with the  app they have for it that ties it to the lights.  When the battle lighting goes on during the attack on the Martian ship I can't wait for it turn my man cave lights that color as well.

The gun fight last episode was awesome.  I loved how the black ops team didn't look like "black ops" folks at all, but you could tell when they slowly started positioning themselves in the room that something was about to go down.  I've got to give them a lot of props for their stage designs, costumes, props, and special effects. The whole team involved on The Expanse should be up for some serious awards for their work this season in my opinion.  Each episode is up there with anything I've seen sci-fi wise on the big screen and actually in some ways better.  

Really wish they could broadcast it in 4K.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree, SilentType. They are doing an excellent job with this show. Although the acting is kind of bad in some characters, Holden and Fred.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
It says video is private

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It says video is private

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It says video is private

Yeah they pulled it awhile back.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw a nipple in Ep 9!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I saw a nipple in Ep 9!
View Quote

Oh hey.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]

End of season 1.

Anybody else think Expanse is the new Firefly?

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

End of season 1.

View Quote

No, it's already filming a second season.

It may be a new Babylon 5, though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

End of season 1.

View Quote

not at all.  

the rocinante has more in common with the millennium falcon or slave I, maybe even bsmph defiant than it would serenity.
Amos and Jayne have some similarities, but Amos is meaner, with more low cunning and animal instinct.  True Chaotic Neutral
Alex is .mil trained and wash wasn't
mal revels in his past, holden's running from his.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

not at all.  

the rocinante has more in common with the millennium falcon or slave I, maybe even bsmph defiant than it would serenity.
Amos and Jayne have some similarities, but Amos is meaner, with more low cunning and animal instinct.  True Chaotic Neutral
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

End of season 1.

not at all.  

Good analysis. I get a definite " Traveller" vibe from this show.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#25]
so if they ejected their gAs hauler disguise while bugging out of Eros, won't they be immediately ID'd as a stolen MCRN Frigate? I doubt Holden's salvage claim will go very far.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
so if they ejected their gAs hauler disguise while bugging out of Eros, won't they be immediately ID'd as a stolen MCRN Frigate? I doubt Holden's salvage claim will go very far.
View Quote

That's not gonna matter here real quick.

They had their drive signature altered on Tyco, and that seems to be the number one way ships are ID'd at long range.
Up close, it won't pass muster, but hey, it's a gunship.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

They had their drive signature altered on Tyco, and that seems to be the number one way ships are ID'd at long range.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, drive signature and transponder are still showing civilian ship so unless someone gets close they'll assume their instruments are telling the truth and not look at her twice. And like Ziarifleman said if they get too close...hey they have torps and Point Defense Cannon, which basically screams "Hey back off man." Plus they have "donkey balls" up their sleeves if they need it.

But after what happened on Eros shit has officially gotten real and looking for a stolen MCRN corvette isn't going to be high on anyone's list of priorities because the movers and shakers at the UN and on Mars are thinking it's TEOTWAWKI...and they don't feel fine.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

End of season 1.

not at all.  

i didn't play it very long, but yeah.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It says video is private

The whole season is still available for streaming on Syfy's Expanse Page

The Blu Ray is coming out April 5th, and I already preordered it on Amazon.

Now we just have to wait until next January for the next season.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

End of season 1.

not at all.  

Traveller was cool as hell, and I can kind of see some of that; and Firefly, and BSG thrown in the mix.

...but with some Cthulhu and 2001 thrown in for good measure.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm already reading the second book, great stuff so far.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'm already reading the second book, great stuff so far.

Kharn
View Quote

Martian Marines in powered armor, if that doesn't make a person grin then they have no soul.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Why did they end it before the story of the first book was completed? IIRC, some significant stuff happens....
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spoilers, broad but not very deep:
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Why did they end it before the story of the first book was completed? IIRC, some significant stuff happens....
View Quote

Probably because when they decided to do the series even though the channel's execs loved it, they weren't sure what the ratings/viewer's opinion would be about it and didn't want to commit to a 20-22 episode season of very expensive (it doesn't look like your typical SyFy original series, it looks like BSG which means a bigger budget) show and have it not get good ratings or word of mouth. 10-12 episodes per season is the typical SyFy Original run so they had two opions, either do what they did and do half the story and hope it was well enough received that they'd get to finish the story in the first book in Season 2 (which got greenlit before season 1 actually aired, in part because of how well received it was at sci-fi conventions where they showed the pilot) or try to cram the first book into 10-12 episodes, which would have been a huge mistake in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure I read that it has the biggest budget of any SyFy original series since BSG, so they weren't going to throw that sort of money at a show that no one wound up watching. Especially since they (and almost every other TV network) has cut the number of episodes in a season of show dramatically since the time when BSG originally aired.  So if they had said okay we're doing this, we're doing 22 episodes at one shot and it's going to cost us more money per episode than anything we've done before but no one may watch it...it makes sense. I personally hate the now the norm 10-12 episode "seasons" of modern TV but it's just how things are done now for anything that requires a big per episode budget and/or a lot of special effects.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Probably because when they decided to do the series even though the channel's execs loved it, they weren't sure what the ratings/viewer's opinion would be about it and didn't want to commit to a 20-22 episode season of very expensive (it doesn't look like your typical SyFy original series, it looks like BSG which means a bigger budget) show and have it not get good ratings or word of mouth. 10-12 episodes per season is the typical SyFy Original run so they had two opions, either do what they did and do half the story and hope it was well enough received that they'd get to finish the story in the first book in Season 2 (which got greenlit before season 1 actually aired, in part because of how well received it was at sci-fi conventions where they showed the pilot) or try to cram the first book into 10-12 episodes, which would have been a huge mistake in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure I read that it has the biggest budget of any SyFy original series since BSG, so they weren't going to throw that sort of money at a show that no one wound up watching. Especially since they (and almost every other TV network) has cut the number of episodes in a season of show dramatically since the time when BSG originally aired.  So if they had said okay we're doing this, we're doing 22 episodes at one shot and it's going to cost us more money per episode than anything we've done before but no one may watch it...it makes sense. I personally hate the now the norm 10-12 episode "seasons" of modern TV but it's just how things are done now for anything that requires a big per episode budget and/or a lot of special effects.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes sense.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/n6bq8Db.gif

Sounds like I need to get the book!

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/n6bq8Db.gif

There's a rumor I'm getting a Kindle for Valentines...
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.

I suppose shows like Gilligan's island and M*A*S*H used the same sets and had no CGI or expensive special effects.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm seriously thinking about finally breaking down and buying one, mainly to read the Expanse stuff that's not available in actual print.

I've resisted for years, I love books, reading off screens not so much...probably because I read so much of my own stuff I'm writing on screens all day long. It makes no sense really, but just how it is.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I suppose shows like Gilligan's island and M*A*S*H used the same sets and had no CGI or expensive special effects.

View Quote

Special effects on M*A*S*H  and Gilligan's Island mainly consisted of getting fishing line that was the least visible in shots to hang stuff from and making sure the propane tank pyrotechnics didn't make someone lose their eyebrows.

Each episode's worth of special effects in The Expanse probably costs more than the entirety of the special effects budget for something like "V" (Original, Final Battle and series combined) in the '80s did.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm seriously thinking about finally breaking down and buying one, mainly to read the Expanse stuff that's not available in actual print.

I've resisted for years, I love books, reading off screens not so much...probably because I read so much of my own stuff I'm writing on screens all day long. It makes no sense really, but just how it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My brother.

I'm the same way, I would much rather read a book... But The Churn is only on Kindle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

My brother.

I'm the same way, I would much rather read a book... But The Churn is only on Kindle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My brother.

I lost track of how many extra trips I had to make when I moved last year, just for the express purpose of moving books that I didn't want to be crated up for the movers to bring, the old ones and the valuable ones mostly. I have a metric shitload of books.

Since The Churn is basically the straw that's breaking the camel's back, when I get the Kindle I may have to send the collective Mr. S.A. Corey a note with a picture of it saying,"See what you fucking made me do?" or something.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#45]
I blasted through all 5 books on audible in a month and a half, book 4 wasn't my favorite,  but I think 2 and 5 are the best.  The series needs more Bobbie.  Amos is probably my favorite character of all time now, he's like Jayne but a hell of a lot smarter.

If all you've done is watch the show,  shit hasn't started to get crazy yet.  They are serious failing on Chrisjen, she's a hoot in the books and seems lame by comparison.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:29:22 AM EDT
[#46]
The Chrisjen character is poorly cast and badly written. Too bad. The actress sounds mildly retarded speaking English, which goes against her smart politician character.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to the 21st Century!

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least they have gotten to where they make the background look more like paper and not the typical bright white.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i just use the kindle apps on my phone and tablet.  it's nice having a book available when i have to wait for an appointment.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

m

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top