Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/26/2015 9:04:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
watched it last night..........looks to be interesting.  Still setting up the story line and characters, but overall........good start
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I really enjoyed the books.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Just watched the first episode.   Looks like it might be promising.  

Sci-fi or however it's spelled now is putting out good shows lately.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
That was interesting
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
So tensions are rising and they are on the brink of war. What tensions? Why war? Won't space select for the more intelligent, so war would be less likely? Or is Earth stupid enough to start a war with an asteroid belt that is essentially made of weapons....
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So tensions are rising and they are on the brink of war. What tensions? Why war? Won't space select for the more intelligent, so war would be less likely? Or is Earth stupid enough to start a war with an asteroid belt that is essentially made of weapons....
View Quote

Wait ....wait....LOL

So you think there will be no more war.....because more tech....

LOL.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
A little rushed, but impressive.  I really appreciated the attention to physics, especially the bird holding position with a couple wing flaps in Ceres' micro gravity.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Thank you for the link!!! I am in on this one. Certainly looks a hell of a lot better than Killjoys or Dark Matter.

Anyone else got any other links to more new Sci-Fi works coming out in the near future?? Will youtube have this without  any ads on a regular basis, or was this just a teaser?

Off to mark my calendar.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

LOL.  Like there is any way that there will ever not be war.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you for the link!!! I am in on this one. Certainly looks a hell of a lot better than Killjoys or Dark Matter.

Anyone else got any other links to more new Sci-Fi works coming out in the near future?? Will youtube have this without  any ads on a regular basis, or was this just a teaser?

Off to mark my calendar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Off to mark my calendar.

It has a lot of potential and is good so far.  Saying the bold above is a little early.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Won't space select for the more intelligent, so war would be less likely?
View Quote

That may be one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

Some of the smartest men in history have been lords of war. Intelligence makes the fruits of aggression more rewarding.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I guess I found something to watch.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmm... looks interesting and well done. I think I'll go watch it via my Chromecast.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:45:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are still cancelling them long before their shelf life has expired.  
Fucktards.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Hail Zeon!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#16]
It looks pretty good so far.

But the next episode doesn't air until December 15?  Why did they do it that way?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Same here, I read the first 3 books and think they're pretty awesome, picking up the next 2 as my Christmas present to myself.

I watched the show the other night and was pretty impressed, usually I'm leery as hell when someone turns a book or series of books I really like into a movie or TV show but so far this one has been sticking pretty close to what I thought it should look like if it were. That's a good thing. The first season is 10 episodes, I was rereading the first book to get ready for the show and it looks like episode 1 was the first 50 and change pages of the book, since the book is 550 or so...well that's pretty promising as far as lining up book to show pacing.

The fact that George R. R. Martin's two assistants (that's who "James S.A. Corey" actually is) have managed to put out 5 books in 4 years, with a 6th due out next year makes me chuckle though, apparently they haven't become addicted to buffets and too tight Greek fisherman's hats yet.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucktards.

Both Killjoys and Dark Matter have been picked up for a second season.

...and
actually so has The Expanse. Yep, the first episode hasn't even been on
TV yet but all 10 for the season are done, season 2 is already approved
and they started writing the scripts for season 2 back in May. The
execs at SyFy (which still looks idiotic when it's written out) really like The Expanse. I was really happy when I read that because Book 2 (and thus season 2) will have one of my favorite things in the books in it...

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It looks pretty good so far.

But the next episode doesn't air until December 15?  Why did they do it that way?

View Quote

The first episode doesn't actually air on TV until the 14th, they're doing a two-night premiere with an episode on back to back nights.

I think they put it out on the net early just to get more buzz for it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same here, I read the first 3 books and think they're pretty awesome, picking up the next 2 as my Christmas present to myself.
I watched the show the other night and was pretty impressed, usually I'm leery as hell when someone turns a book or series of books I really like into a movie or TV show but so far this one has been sticking pretty close to what I thought it should look like if it were. That's a good thing. The first season is 10 episodes, I was rereading the first book to get ready for the show and it looks like episode 1 was the first 50 and change pages of the book, since the book is 550 or so...well that's pretty promising as far as lining up book to show pacing.
The fact that George R. R. Martin's two assistants (that's who "James S.A. Corey" actually is) have managed to put out 5 books in 4 years, with a 6th due out next year makes me chuckle though, apparently they haven't become addicted to buffets and too tight Greek fisherman's hats yet.

...and actually so has The Expanse. Yep, the first episode hasn't even been on TV yet but all 10 for the season are done, season 2 is already approved and they started writing the scripts for season 2 back in May. The execs at SyFy (which still looks idiotic when it's written out) really like The Expanse. I was really happy when I read that because Book 2 (and thus season 2) will have one of my favorite things in the books in it...
Click To View Spoiler    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucktards.

...and actually so has The Expanse. Yep, the first episode hasn't even been on TV yet but all 10 for the season are done, season 2 is already approved and they started writing the scripts for season 2 back in May. The execs at SyFy (which still looks idiotic when it's written out) really like The Expanse. I was really happy when I read that because Book 2 (and thus season 2) will have one of my favorite things in the books in it...
Click To View Spoiler    

Killjoys is fucking stupid.
Yet another TV show where one has to believe that a 98 pound girl can whip the ship out of a much bigger person.

Defiance
Ascension
Helix
Dominion
Sanctuary
Warehouse 13

All cancelled before their shelf life expired.

There are other shows too, however, they came from other studios / countries.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So tensions are rising and they are on the brink of war. What tensions?
Why war? Won't space select for the more intelligent, so war would be
less likely? Or is Earth stupid enough to start a war with an asteroid
belt that is essentially made of weapons....
View Quote

That's why they're just in a Cold War currently, both Mars and Earth can wipe each other out
fairly easily if they wanted to, it's MAD to the eyeballs. They both know if it comes
down to a shooting war between Earth and Mars where it goes to total war mode and they hit each other's homeworlds then most of humanity is dying no matter who "wins."

As
for space selecting for the more intelligent that's questionable. Earth
is run by the UN bureaucrats with almost everyone else being welfare
proles. Mars is kind of like Texas on steroids, they said fuck
you to Earth a long time ago and has more advanced military tech because
Earth has somewhat stagnated since most of their population is happy
with welfare checks. The Belt is pretty much the Old West/Frontier combined with a healthy dose of
dysfunctional Third World shithole and/or corporate owned dictatorship
thrown in. If a company owns whatever habitat, station, moon, rock,
what-have-you then they pretty much call the shots there, hell the cops
on Ceres are company cops not ones put into service by any government.
People in space in the Expanse-verse may actually be pretty smart, but
most of them are dysfunctional as hell and not a few go batshit crazy
from being out there for much longer than is healthy.

Whenever
Mars and Earth get their fight on the Belt is always going to be the
battleground, because even if something gets nuked or kinetically
bombarded it's not anywhere either place considers essential to their
survival. So going to war in the Belt is sort of like doing so in the Third World was during our Cold War with a healthy dash of the colonial
age in Europe thrown in; there are both Cold War-ish proxy wars to be
had, and Colonial type ones similar to how even when France and England sometime
fought each other directly (like in the French and Indian War) they didn't do it
on each other's actual home territory because that would be uncouth, rude
and cause instability beyond what would be acceptable even if they won
outright.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#21]
tag/scribe
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Did anyone else find it odd that Mike from Breaking Bad had such a small role?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Defiance-This show went full retard
Ascension-Didn't get great reviews, but now that it's a cliffhanger makes the first season even more meaningless
Helix-First season was strong, second was wading in the derp
Dominion-They actually had something going here
Sanctuary-What was this about again?
Warehouse 13-Total bullshit, I loved this show

View Quote

Syfy has a habit of getting ambitious with their projects then killing them, then gets confused why people don't watch the damn network.

I'm still fucking pissed about them canceling Farscape.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yet another TV show where one has to believe that a 98 pound girl can whip the ship out of a much bigger person.

Defiance

Ascension

Helix

Dominion

Sanctuary

Warehouse 13

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucktards.

Click To View Spoiler    

Defiance

Ascension

Helix

Dominion

Sanctuary

Warehouse 13

Yup.  They are trending towards the nbc/abc/cbs model.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks pretty good. Better production value than Killjoys or Dark Matter, so that's a plus. The concept is neat, although I don't know much about it (never read the books).

I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks pretty good. Better production value than Killjoys or Dark Matter, so that's a plus. The concept is neat, although I don't know much about it (never read the books).

I'll give it a shot.
View Quote

It was OK but I liked Dark Matter a bit more. Being able to watch both is good.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

Statements can appear worthy of ridicule to one with poor reading comprehension. I stated neither the effect nor the cause that you have in your post.

I think I'm going to read the books. If these plots are contrived then I'll sniff it out.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I like that it's set about 200 years into the future, and that unlike Star Trek (..don't get me wrong...I like Star Trek) it's not so Disney like magical.  

Changing course is a pain, the captain can't simply say "make it so" while sipping on Earl Grey tea.   It takes more time to get from point A to point B.  Space has had an effect on human biology.  The technology is advanced but no so much so that we can't see a line connecting us and them.  It "feels" like this is really a "could happen" situation.  I also like that morality is a bit "grey".  No nice clean cut federation officers acting like the angels of of better nature, and saints.  

The texture of the show seems more authentic.  I hope it succeeds.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Statements can appear worthy of ridicule to one with poor reading comprehension. I stated neither the effect nor the cause that you have in your post.

I think I'm going to read the books. If these plots are contrived then I'll sniff it out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

I see what you're saying.  It's discussed in the books.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Just in case anyone was curious here is a link to the 3 book set the TV show is based on for a decent price.    Anytime I hear of something decent being made into a TV show I usually try to read the source material first.

Amazon link
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I read the first couple of chapters. The show is so close you aren't missing much if you skip the book.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I was hoping to see more of the navigator chick nekkid, but she has been vaporized...

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I was hoping to see more of the navigator chick nekkid, but she has been vaporized...

View Quote

Kristen Hager, she was also on Being Human.

...and Masters of Sex.

(^ hint)

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Fulminata!!  You da man!

Pretty girl.  I read her bio....she comes from Red Lake, Ontario.  I flew in and out of there on a float plane.  It is a real gritty, on the edge of civilization kind  of town.

So I was this | | close to scoring that!!!  

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Syfy has a habit of getting ambitious with their projects then killing them, then gets confused why people don't watch the damn network.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Defiance-This show went full retard
Ascension-Didn't get great reviews, but now that it's a cliffhanger makes the first season even more meaningless
Helix-First season was strong, second was wading in the derp
Dominion-They actually had something going here
Sanctuary-What was this about again?
Warehouse 13-Total bullshit, I loved this show

SyFy has been making bad decisions for more than a decade now.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Thanks for the link. Will check it out.

Last night I scratched my sci-fi itch by watching Halo Nightfall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNnaoPOPaI). Plot's rather weak, but was enjoyable, nevertheless.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Picky, picky. Most such stories are flawed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
...SyFy (which still looks idiotic when it's written out)...
View Quote

Yeah, but considering how their programming changed along with the name change, I always figured SyFy was short for Silly Fantasy...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#39]
That wasn't bad. I've enjoyed the books so far. Hope the tech (especially weapons tech cause you know..this is arfcom) comes close to what I imagined, I guess I'll have to wait and see won't I?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing flawed here is the fantasy that space colonization will somehow make war less of a human activity.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:15:27 AM EDT
[#41]
They do this right, it could be another Battlestar Galactica for them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That was interesting
View Quote

First Episode was really good. This one looks like it could be a winner
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I was bored so I calculated that the mirror would need to be between 13,000 and 14,000 km in diameter, assuming an anus size of 2cm.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

Henry Maxine was a gifted engineer, he was interested in electrical devices, he made his fortune in machine guns.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Henry Maxine was a gifted engineer, he was interested in electrical devices, he made his fortune in machine guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

Hiram Maxim?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Hiram Maxim?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

Hiram Maxim?

Wait....Wait....LOL

So you think someone cannot be named Henry Maxine just because they are interested in electrical machine guns?

LOL.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wait....Wait....LOL

So you think someone cannot be named Henry Maxine just because they are interested in electrical machine guns?

LOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

Hiram Maxim?

Wait....Wait....LOL

LOL.

I think that's iPhone naming.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hiram Maxim?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait ....wait....LOL

LOL.

Hiram Maxim?

Off the top of myhead.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Some of the smartest men in history have been lords of war. Intelligence makes the fruits of aggression more rewarding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Won't space select for the more intelligent, so war would be less likely?

No dude, smart people like, use their words. War is dumb.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top