Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody has mentioned Dexter?

I don't think it's a bad name, but it's exploded in popularity after the debut of the TV show. I think it's weird to name your kid after a fictional serial killer.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=dexter&sw=both&exact=true
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LoLz...I'm the opposite.  Why name your kid one name, but call them something different their entire lives?  I don't even know the proper name for Timmy.  I didn't know what the proper names for Billy and Bobby were until I was in HS and had a friend named Bobby (who had a brother named Billy).  Robert and William I found out.  

I just think it's stupid to name your kid Robert....but his parents, teachers, friends, co-workers, friends, family, etc...will all call him Bobby for the rest of his life   Just put Bobby on the birth certificate and be done with it.

How did short names (that have nothing in common with the proper name) come about anyways?  My name is Kyle.  That would be like calling me Johnny for short
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The one thing that bothers me most is naming a kid the short version or nickname of a proper name. No one wants to be Timmy, Billy, Bobby etc unless they like the name. Name them the whole name and let them choose which they like. I don't like my first name because too many douchebags have it lol.

LoLz...I'm the opposite.  Why name your kid one name, but call them something different their entire lives?  I don't even know the proper name for Timmy.  I didn't know what the proper names for Billy and Bobby were until I was in HS and had a friend named Bobby (who had a brother named Billy).  Robert and William I found out.  

I just think it's stupid to name your kid Robert....but his parents, teachers, friends, co-workers, friends, family, etc...will all call him Bobby for the rest of his life   Just put Bobby on the birth certificate and be done with it.

How did short names (that have nothing in common with the proper name) come about anyways?  My name is Kyle.  That would be like calling me Johnny for short

I appreciate the versatility of it.

When I was a little kid, people called me Bobby. Then I hit puberty, and I started going by Bob. Family and close friends still call me Bob, but now that I'm a grown ass man with a white collar job, I go by Robert.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to name my twins Angus and Tiberius.  But my wife survived the c-section
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I helped a customer one time. Dudes name was Muhammed Muhammed. All I could think was "your parents already have one of the most common names, and they give you the same damn name for your first name. They have to either hate you, or have zero imagination."
View Quote

The Islamic naming convention is a whole other story altogether. They don't have a first name and family last name like we think of it here.

With males, it works like this: first name (given name), second name (father's given name), possible third name (grandfather's name), and an affiliation name (could be to a tribe or geographical region). The affiliation names are typically preceded by "al." A name like "al-Jibouri" refers to the tribe while "al-Tikriti" refers to the city in Iraq.

The commonly encountered "bin" and "abu" are not names. They are a sort of prefix. The "bin" means "son of," and the "abu" means "father of." So, Osama bin Laden translates to "Osama, son of Laden." The leader of ISIS is known as Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Literally translated, it means he's a guy from Baghdad with a son name Bakr.

I don't know if there's a standard for working their names into legal names here, but tracking people that use names like this in their own land is a fucking nightmare.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joshua

Joshua

Joshua

Josh

How is a name that has been in common/constant use for over 4 thousand years the same as made up "black heritage" names?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of People who came through Ellis Island, had their Names changed by the Clerks there.......
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1, this thread has yet to produce and equal to the thread title.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is none. I don't know where they come up with this shit. Toss scrabble letters in a pile and mystery draw?
Fkn ridiculous

+1, this thread has yet to produce and equal to the thread title.

In this thread ARFcom GD lists every name it hates....just because.  It doesn't matter if it has anything to do, whatsoever, with the OP's question.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Topher
View Quote

As in Topher Grace, the actor?

His real name is Christopher. ChrisTOPHER. It's just his nickname.

Yeah, kinda stupid, but not his real name.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one of the most obscure Celtic names ever, I've had it for 50 years now. Never thought of my parents as Ghetto til Op posted this.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took my 5 year old to a birthday party in our whitey mcwhitebread neighborhood.  

There were about 20 kids there, and about 15 of the 20 had weird names.  Wren, Avery, Luna, etc.

Every kid is a vanity project that must be brand named accordingly.

Your least favorites?

I dislike the trend of using last names as first names: Madison, for example.

Also irksome are the obscure Celtic names.

It's just as bad as the goofy ghetto Africa names.  Just the white version.

Yeah, I realize I could MYOB, but I bang the gavel in judgment in all things.  It's what I do.
I have one of the most obscure Celtic names ever, I've had it for 50 years now. Never thought of my parents as Ghetto til Op posted this.  

I have a Celtic name. Not too obscure though, probably one of the more common ones, but nobody spells it right.

I dated an Irish girl named Grainne. Pronounced "Granya". Unique but not very feminine sounding except when her parents said it with their brogue.

Lots of Malachy's in my family going back several generations before they came to the US (not my name). Malachy sounds OK but I think Mal sounds too old fashioned. My generation was the first without a Malachy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
NOBODY names girls "Ethel", "Martha", or "Sally". . . now those are sturdy, good-ole, Amurican names that will last a lifetime.  Hell, my mom's name is "Betty"---when's the last time you saw a little girl named THAT!

oh, and . . . get off my lawn!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Friend's kids are named Trenton and Adalina.

Whatever happened to names like Gary and Earl? How old is the youngest Winifred?
NOBODY names girls "Ethel", "Martha", or "Sally". . . now those are sturdy, good-ole, Amurican names that will last a lifetime.  Hell, my mom's name is "Betty"---when's the last time you saw a little girl named THAT!

Betty is a nickname for Elizabeth. Elizabeths are everywhere. My daughter was going to be Elizabeth but her cousin was born less than a year earlier and given that name, so we used it as her middle name.

I lost my original name for the same reason. My mother and aunt had a bit of a rivalry and they were pregnant together. Mom wouldn't tell her what they were going to name me because of it. Two weeks earlier my aunt told my Dad the name they picked, so he told her what they picked for me. She gave birth one week before my mother....and took both my first and middle names. It worked out, I think our given names suit both of us better.

My MIL goes by Betty, but that's because her real name is a horibble name for a woman - Bertha. She's from Nicaragua and it actually sounds nice in Spanish (Beyr-ta) with a soft "R", but they way us Americans pronounce it like she sounds like an overweight truck driver covered in Navy tattoos. Her family calls her by her real name but all her coworkers call her Betty.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nobody has mentioned Dexter?

I don't think it's a bad name, but it's exploded in popularity after the debut of the TV show. I think it's weird to name your kid after a fictional serial killer.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=dexter&sw=both&exact=true
View Quote

My sister named her son Jeremy after the Pearl Jam song. He was born shortly after the song became popular. I asked her, "You know that song is based on a real kid who killed himself at school, right?". She didn't care.

I also used to know a Deadhead girl who got pregnant and named her son August West after the main character of the Dead's "Wharf Rat". West wasn't the child's middle name...she made it his last name. Her last name wasn't West, and neither was the junkie father's  So I asked her, "You know that song is about some loser alcoholic ex-con, right?". She didn't care.

Luckily my sister's Jeremy didn't follow in his namesake, but there's no telling what happened to August with his fine upstanding parents living in a van selling drugs to get to shows. He's gotta be maybe 20 or 21 by now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Bixby
Hollingsworth
Creed
Justice
September
Konrad
Wolfgang
Hobson
Tusker
Crispin

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Cynzi prononced Kenzie.     We know a Cord also.  Cousins kid is Deegan. Zoie instead of Zoe,  My kids went to school with Unix and Linux.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Avery is the Gaelic Equivalent of Albert. My husband is Irish, his name is Albert so we named our daughter Avery. That is NOT a "Shaniqua" name.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Llewellyn.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dalton
Cole
Kranston
Jackson
Forest
Sierra
View Quote

My friend named her daughter Ciara.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have kids in my class with these names....I shit you not!!!!!

Jacket
Kidney
Heart
Shoe
Hat
Leg
Brain
Finger
Skin
Man
Sheet
Wagina

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Last names as first names...like Anderson or pemberton...i guess making your kid sound like a law firm will get him into Yale
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Siadhal
Seamus
Eamon
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Avery is the Gaelic Equivalent of Albert. My husband is Irish, his name is Albert so we named our daughter Avery. That is NOT a "Shaniqua" name.
View Quote

Uh huh.

Does your husband wear a kilt on special occasions?

Because that's the Irish American dashiki.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I know of an idiot that named his kid two last names.  Sirhan Sirhan.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My mother's family has (or rather had, since the generation that bore them last has died out) named their children stupid things.  My grandfather was named Beverly.  He had a brother named Ramsey.  My mom also had an uncle Shirley (you can't be serious!) and an aunt Irving.  Thankfully her parents broke that cycle.  My sister and I both have Bible names (not the best ones, but not Ezekial or Athalia).

Giving people last names as first names is always weird.  There's a popular British actor with my last name as his first name.  And every time I see it I shake my head a little.

And if you name your daughter Destiny (or Destini, as I've seen tattooed on the neck of a coworker when I worked at a seafood company) she's probably going to be a single-mom stripper with a neck tat of her own.  Kayla too, for that matter(also tattooed on the neck of a coworker - not the same one - at the same company.)
View Quote

Doucheatron Cumberbach?

m

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Geir
Ian
View Quote

I know Geir is an Icelandic/Norwegian name but how old it is is beyond me.

"Ian" however is a very old name tracing it's roots back to before the 14th century. It's the Scotch English equivalent of John and is still pretty common in the English Isles. I've only known 2 Ian's in my time and both were upstanding gentlemen. I have to assume you don't travel outside the states much.

It's funny how your experience with people of a given name can mold your prejudice for the name itself. I've never met a Francis or a Corey that I didn't want to punch.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Even worse are the "creative" spellings.
View Quote
Fuck me, isn't that the truth.

If you insist on using a non-traditional spelling for your kids name, neither you nor the kid has any right to be offended when it's mis-spelled. And it's going to happen. A lot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Aaron
View Quote
What exactly is wrong with Aaron? It may not be common, but it's far from out of the ordinary.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

wasn't there  a song  called the name game?
banana nanna fo fanna - anna?

View Quote

What if your name was Buck?

Buck, Buck, bo-Buck

Banana-fana fo-... er, hold on a minute.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wanted to name my son Agrippa...
View Quote

I named mine Augustus.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've seen a few celtic  names that are not pronounced anything like they're spelled at my son's school

Aoife -  Eva

Saoirse - Sheorsha or some other nonsense.

Have fun explaining that for the rest of your lives.

I'm sure their Gaelic speaking parents took this into consideration before naming them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay, I'll jump in on this bandwagon.

I know someone that named their daughter........Ceilidh.

Try and pronounce that in your head.

See-lid?  Kie-liduh?  Sy-lied?

No.  It's Gaelic - pronounced Kay-Lee.

Why would you do that to your kid?

I've seen a few celtic  names that are not pronounced anything like they're spelled at my son's school

Aoife -  Eva

Saoirse - Sheorsha or some other nonsense.

Have fun explaining that for the rest of your lives.

I'm sure their Gaelic speaking parents took this into consideration before naming them.

I don't have an issue with legit names like that. Saoirse is pronounced "Seer-she" and means Freedom

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know of an idiot that named his kid two last names.  Sirhan Sirhan.
View Quote

I worked for an Egyptian back in high school named Mourad Mourad.

He was an Egyptian tank commander during the Yom Kippur war. The Israeli's blew him up. His legs were all messed up and he was covered with burn scars from the explosion. He got blown right out of the hatch of his T-62. Lost his crew and spent a year recovering in a hospital. I remember him saying in his heavy accent, "I knew I would die. There was one thing I knew I must never forget....the M60...it never misses". He had a healthy respect for that tank.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cynzi prononced Kenzie.     We know a Cord also.  Cousins kid is Deegan. Zoie instead of Zoe,  My kids went to school with Unix and Linux.
View Quote

There's just sooo much to be said here....

I work with Linux geeks. I'm proficient but don't eat, sleep, or breath it. I have a hard time believing anyone who would be so geeky as to name their kids Linux and Unix ever actually got laid much less had a sperm count high enough to knock a woman up. But here we are. I guess they somehow pulled it off. Twice.

And besides....how are they gonna pull off calling their kids Sir Linux and Sir Unix at a renaissance fair?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Betty is a nickname for Elizabeth. Elizabeths are everywhere. My daughter was going to be Elizabeth but her cousin was born less than a year earlier and given that name, so we used it as her middle name.

I lost my original name for the same reason. My mother and aunt had a bit of a rivalry and they were pregnant together. Mom wouldn't tell her what they were going to name me because of it. Two weeks earlier my aunt told my Dad the name they picked, so he told her what they picked for me. She gave birth one week before my mother....and took both my first and middle names. It worked out, I think our given names suit both of us better.

My MIL goes by Betty, but that's because her real name is a horibble name for a woman - Bertha. She's from Nicaragua and it actually sounds nice in Spanish (Beyr-ta) with a soft "R", but they way us Americans pronounce it like she sounds like an overweight truck driver covered in Navy tattoos. Her family calls her by her real name but all her coworkers call her Betty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Betty & Betsy are kinda old school nicknames for Elizabeth. Now Liza, Lisa, & Beth are more common..

My Grandma's maiden name was Healey, pronounced, Hay-Lee... Just looking at it, I would have guessed...

It was pronounced Heal-Lee.......
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I work with Linux geeks. I'm proficient but don't eat, sleep, or breath it. I have a hard time believing anyone who would be so geeky as to name their kids Linux and Unix ever actually got laid much less had a sperm count high enough to knock a woman up. But here we are. I guess they somehow pulled it off. Twice.

And besides....how are they gonna pull off calling their kids Sir Linux and Sir Unix at a renaissance fair?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the OS boys are oriental twins so there is that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bixby
Hollingsworth
Creed
Justice
September
Konrad
Wolfgang
Hobson
Tusker
Crispin

View Quote

I don't see how Konrad or Wolfgang would be so out of place anywhere there is a lot of Germanic heritage, like in Wisconsin, and Crispin is an centuries old English name, for pete's sake. You know, the language you and I are typing in.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

So your daughter is named after your husband, with an Irish man's name? I'm confused.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't see how Konrad or Wolfgang would be so out of place anywhere there is a lot of Germanic heritage, like in Wisconsin, and Crispin is an centuries old English name, for pete's sake. You know, the language you and I are typing in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bixby
Hollingsworth
Creed
Justice
September
Konrad
Wolfgang
Hobson
Tusker
Crispin

wolfgang is pretty cool I guess
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Special snowflake names and the creative spelling moron parents complicate it even more with the dumbass nicknames they assign.

I have a disrant cousin who is a uiversity professor in physics. Normal name at birth was Patrick, somehow he got the nickname Packy. WTF!

A nieghbor has a Brian, good solid name, his nickname is Beppo, his sister Mary is called Zippy.

An Army buddy was Robert, family called him Noba.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
<------------- Anders
View Quote

Very common name in some parts of the world.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Todd
View Quote

Todd rules. He RULES!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lots of People who came through Ellis Island, had their Names changed by the Clerks there.......
View Quote

Like this kid, Vito Andolini.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Perhaps pre-dated by "The Teachings of Ptahhotep" (25 th century BC)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Ptahhotep-Khamerernebty.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's literally the oldest name in the book.

Perhaps pre-dated by "The Teachings of Ptahhotep" (25 th century BC)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Ptahhotep-Khamerernebty.jpg

Different book.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#41]
My niece is about to pop any minute . She is going to name her son Milo. At least she can name the next one Otis , I guess.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The Islamic naming convention is a whole other story altogether. They don't have a first name and family last name like we think of it here.

<Snip>

I don't know if there's a standard for working their names into legal names here, but tracking people that use names like this in their own land is a fucking nightmare.
View Quote

While I was waiting for a flight into Iraq from Kuwait there was a flight leaving that was full of Iraqis, roll call was hilarious, it was like having a flight of 80 "John Smiths". I have no idea how they keep that shit straight over there.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Sam Francisco
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

While I was waiting for a flight into Iraq from Kuwait there was a flight leaving that was full of Iraqis, roll call was hilarious, it was like having a flight of 80 "John Smiths". I have no idea how they keep that shit straight over there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<Snip>

There is no standard for working their names into legal names, hence the preponderance of double names.

It's pretty common for fathers to name their first born son the same name they have, so suddenly you have a Muhammed Muhammed when western society demands a "last name." Sometimes you see the "tribal names" like al-Sisi, al-Gaddafi, al-Baghdadi, sometimes the "al-" will be dropped.

Birth certificates and ID cards in Iraq were spelled out clearly - you had your given name, your fathers name, his fathers name, his fathers name, and a tribal name, where applicable.  That's usually more than enough hames to get a unique ID.  People either went by their first (given) name, or some common things like Abu+ their son's name.

For some reason, this was impossible to explain to the majority of Americans, especially if they worked in the intelligence community, whose reports demanded a "last name." We would tend to use their father's given name, and thus you'd have people insisting on calling someone Mr. [Father's name] who has never gone by that his whole life.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Cleetus and Ayden!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Joey joe joe junior shabadoo
View Quote
Thats the worst name I ever heard  :)

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
There is no standard for working their names into legal names, hence the preponderance of double names.

It's pretty common for fathers to name their first born son the same name they have, so suddenly you have a Muhammed Muhammed when western society demands a "last name." Sometimes you see the "tribal names" like al-Sisi, al-Gaddafi, al-Baghdadi, sometimes the "al-" will be dropped.

Birth certificates and ID cards in Iraq were spelled out clearly - you had your given name, your fathers name, his fathers name, his fathers name, and a tribal name, where applicable.  That's usually more than enough hames to get a unique ID.  People either went by their first (given) name, or some common things like Abu+ their son's name.

For some reason, this was impossible to explain to the majority of Americans, especially if they worked in the intelligence community, whose reports demanded a "last name." We would tend to use their father's given name, and thus you'd have people insisting on calling someone Mr. [Father's name] who has never gone by that his whole life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the explanation.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#48]
The real interesting question here isn't so much the origins of the name as it is the individual status of the members of that general culture who choose that name.  Justin, Daffyd or Shaniqua all have cultural roots and it would be a neat study to find out income, politics, personal beliefs and other background assuming that such statistics are even acquirable.  There has to be a reason why Justin, Piper or Shaniqua have their own social identity as discussed in this thread and the resulting general opinion of the members posting about it here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Betty & Betsy are kinda old school nicknames for Elizabeth. Now Liza, Lisa, & Beth are more common..  

View Quote

We call my Elisabeth  "Bess" or "Bessie".
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

The real interesting question here isn't so much the origins of the name as it is the individual status of the members of that general culture who choose that name.  Justin, Daffyd or Shaniqua all have cultural roots and it would be a neat study to find out income, politics, personal beliefs and other background assuming that such statistics are even acquirable.  There has to be a reason why Justin, Piper or Shaniqua have their own social identity as discussed in this thread and the resulting general opinion of the members posting about it here.
View Quote

You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top