Dude hates name Joseph but names kid Eden
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My ex-stepdaughter named her son Talon.

At first I was

But after a while it seemed OK.

I have never ever heard that as a boys name before. Anybody?

I miss her more than I miss her mother
View Quote

Heard that one a few times here locally. Pronounced Tay-Lon
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Airecka. No kidding. Pronounce as Erica
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Named after JFK's daughter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a fairly narrow demographic that went to school with a lot of girls named "Caroline".  Always spelled that way.

Where it began, I can't begin to knowing.

Named after JFK's daughter
that's like there were a lot of Girls names Christy or such....

After the Space Shuttle blew up.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a co-worker who named her son Dow  and her daughter Indiana.

Take a couple of guesses what her last name was.......

Jones

Yup, she named her kids, Dow Jones and Indiana Jones.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Holy phuqueballz.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
JFD c/o 98, wife as well. Small world
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of my soldiers named his kids, a boy and a girl, Liberty and Justice.  I can't remember which was which.

When I was a substitute teacher, I had a couple of students named Rainbow and Freedom.  Their parents were pot heads.

Lmao, I went to high school with those two. We also had a Miracle

ETA: I couldn't give less of a fuck what other people name their kids or how they spell it. My daughters both have "older" names that are family names, my son has a basic "'murican" name, and that's really all I worry myself with.
If you went to school with them in PISD then I was probably your sub at one time.  I subbed for every teacher in that school.

JFD c/o 98, wife as well. Small world
I'm also a Dobie grad.  Class of 91.  If you had a sub with really long black hair and a goatee, that was me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aiden, Jayden, Kayden, Brayden, Greyden, Hayden, any form of "aiden".

And last names as first names.

Awww man... my son's first name is a last name... but it's the last name of a great buddy who's a CCT and overseas.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#9]
My brother is Timothy James.  I am Thomas Edward.  Certain family members, and certain friends can call me Tommy, my wife can when speaking to my parents, but she never addresses me that way.  Most friends just call me Tom.  It is rare to hear Thomas or Timothy.  

The only trouble I really have is being an Uncle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Ya know what?  I am gonna name my kid "Jan Michael Vincent the Omnipotent"!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OMG THIS!!! There are several in my son's class.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG THIS!!! There are several in my son's class.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

What is an Aiden????  It's a noise that hurts my throat to vocalize.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Almost smacked my niece for this one.

Named her son Brighton.

He grew up being called Bright for short.

Last name is White.

Yup, Bright White.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Hoogivsaphuqa
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Who cares? People aren't conforming to the few dozen most popular names any more. Big deal. The fact everyone does it just means no one even care any more if a name is rare or "weird".
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I know someone that just named her new born daughter, Oakley Jeaux.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah. Like Addison. Original, and shit. Madison, without the M.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LoLz...I'm the opposite.  Why name your kid one name, but call them something different their entire lives?  I don't even know the proper name for Timmy.  I didn't know what the proper names for Billy and Bobby were until I was in HS and had a friend named Bobby (who had a brother named Billy).  Robert and William I found out.

It's Timothy.

I don't wish to seem rude or anything, but where the fuck did you grow up?

The south.  We don't have those fancy proper names like you damn yankees...

Yeah. Like Addison. Original, and shit. Madison, without the M.

I'm glad I could provide such entertainment to a trivial topic to you people who are so concerned with others.    

Names that are common in your part of the world, aren't necessarily common in other parts of it.  I've never heard the name Addison until a couple years ago...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I know parents who named their two boys Random and Maize. Yes, they are both on the path of becoming losers in life.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Colorado: the Nexus of shitty white kids names

Skylar, Skyler, Skylor, Falcon, Skye, Skyy, Frost, Mist, Misty, Crystal, Krystal, Sapphire, Moon, Luna, Lunar...

Fuck this hippie state.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I see no 'equivalence',  just white guilt.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The kids care when/as they grow up and have to explain/spell it every damned day of their life.  It hurts them when it comes time to seek a job too.  

Be honest--you have the power to hire ONE person and you have three resumes in front of you.  One name is "Timothy" one is "Shaniqua" and one is "D'Zyria."  Who ya gonna call?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who cares? People aren't conforming to the few dozen most popular names any more. Big deal. The fact everyone does it just means no one even care any more if a name is rare or "weird".

The kids care when/as they grow up and have to explain/spell it every damned day of their life.  It hurts them when it comes time to seek a job too.  

Be honest--you have the power to hire ONE person and you have three resumes in front of you.  One name is "Timothy" one is "Shaniqua" and one is "D'Zyria."  Who ya gonna call?  

1) oh no - you have to spell your name. Who the fuck cares? I guess you have a boring name that is easy to spell or familiar. I know people with regular names that still have to tell people how to spell them. My kid and ex wife both have traditional  names they have to spell out because there are more than one spelling. My last name I spell out as there is more than one spelling.

2) If you are a racist dick who won't call a person for an interview because they have  a "black" name, or Hispanic, or Asian or what ever, then you sure as fuck aren't going to hire them if they have a white name but still come in black.

"Oh, my, John Smith. I assumed you were white, but you are black as midnight. Well you sure fooled me. You got the job!"

3) Furthermore, "unique" names that are "white" aren't going to hinder them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:03:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a fairly narrow demographic that went to school with a lot of girls named "Caroline".  Always spelled that way.

But then I know it's growing strong.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:21:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh, oh, is your son's name Dzxahnythyn?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I believe they will.  The automatic assumption is the "unique" name comes from a "unique" family--and they tend to be problems in the work place.  Race certainly has nothing to do with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

I believe they will.  The automatic assumption is the "unique" name comes from a "unique" family--and they tend to be problems in the work place.  Race certainly has nothing to do with it.

Well if you have an idiot boss making assumptions based on names vs resume and interview, then I wouldn't want to work for that company anyway.

People can't help their names. To assume someone is this or that based on their names is retarded. There are kids from fucked up parents who turn out to be great people, and there are kids with perfect parents who turn into total fuck ups. Names have no affect.  (Freakonimcs has a chapter on this).

You're right ethic names get fewer call backs to interviews. But having a weird name doesn't seem to seriously affect people.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a son, and we cal her  ?³?x².
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:57:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well if you have an idiot boss making assumptions based on names vs resume and interview, then I wouldn't want to work for that company anyway.

People can't help their names. To assume someone is this or that based on their names is retarded. There are kids from fucked up parents who turn out to be great people, and there are kids with perfect parents who turn into total fuck ups. Names have no affect.  (Freakonimcs has a chapter on this).

You're right ethic names get fewer call backs to interviews. But having a weird name doesn't seem to seriously affect people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Yeah they can, they can legally change their name if it's a problem....

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pronounced, "Lisa," IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, my favorites are the ones that you can't even tell what sex they are.  I shouldn't have to address an email to sir/ma'am when your entire name is available to me.  

My family has some goofy ass names in it too...

Keyghan
Silas
Rhiannon
Ailis
Nyle
Tiernan

Why give your kids a name nobody in their life will ever be able to spell or pronounce on the first go?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Lots of interesting names in UT
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Brace yourselves...

http://nameberry.com/blog/mormon-baby-names-traditions-and-trends

Lots of interesting names in UT

Tough to pick out the worst, but here are some real wild ones for those who didn't visit the link.

Payzlee

Chasidee

Awstyn

Serandipidee

Kyson

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:42:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Twinkle Twinkie Twilight

http://abc13.com/news/amber-alert-canceled-for-n-texas-toddler-child-found-safe/1086084/

There are about three with this name in my sons whitebread class at school.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#32]
My bus driver in HS named her daughter "McGwire", after the Cardinals' steroid junkie.

No, I'm not kidding.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I forgot Trynidee.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because people give their kids stupid fucking names, then bitch that their kids are getting "bullied". What the fuck do you expect when you name your kid something retarded like Polly Esther Gowin??
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#35]
People with stupid names end up being losers on drugs and will probably get tattoos too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Creative spellings, IMHO.

Normal people should be able to correctly say a name based on it's phonics.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#37]
"Soft names make soft people.

I'll bet you anything that 10 times out of 10 Nick, Vinnie and Tony will beat the shit out of Todd, Kyle and Tucker"

~ G. Carlin
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Took my 5 year old to a birthday party in our whitey mcwhitebread neighborhood.  

There were about 20 kids there, and about 15 of the 20 had weird names.  Wren, Avery, Luna, etc.

Every kid is a vanity project that must be brand named accordingly.

Your least favorites?

I dislike the trend of using last names as first names: Madison, for example.

Also irksome are the obscure Celtic names.

It's just as bad as the goofy ghetto Africa names.  Just the white version.

Yeah, I realize I could MYOB, but I bang the gavel in judgment in all things.  It's what I do.
View Quote

buddy of mine last name hunter named his boy bo

another named his boy brian vernon D#### do the initials were BVDs
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#39]
You think those are bad I have a friend with the name
Nubby Norbin Shawilla Shawalla Johnson ....saw his birth certificate... cause I didn't believe him either.
He goes by Norbin
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our kids are named Elijah and Eden.

My wife and I were unable to procreate. After several miscarriages we came to the realization that we'd have to adopt. We found our beautiful son Elijah in Africa. We were able to adopt him quickly because he had a severe jigger infestation on his feet, elbows, knees, hands, and genitals. Some idiot whack-job at the orphanage he lived at decided he was demon possessed and tried to burn the jiggers off him. He suffered SEVERE burns and was moved up on the availability because it qualified him as special needs.

But --- had it not been for those burns he never would have crossed our paths at the hospital in Africa where we were volunteering. In the bible, Elijah never experienced a physical death, but was carried to heaven on a fiery chariot. That spoke to us because our boy brought heaven into our lives via fire. Thus ... the name Elijah.

As for Eden ... oh, our sweet little girl. We pronounce it Ee-den. Not Ed-in. Think Garden of Eden. Here's how we say it: Eden

We adopted her here in the states and after a few days her biological mother, a super young teenager, decided to take her away from us. She also demanded everything we had been given from our friends during the baby shower. When we adopted her . . . her bio mother made it a rule that SHE name our daughter. She did. She named her Jaidyn Avaricia. We were willing to accept that if it meant we could just have our child.

A few days after the bio mother took our child from us --- she returned her with an 'I'm sorry, I can't do this shit. All she does is cry and shit and demand food. Blah blah blah."

Again ... she was a very young teenager. She also breached the adoption contract so we were no longer bound to keep that awful name.

First thing we did was change her name to Eden. The name means 'delight' and 'place of pleasure.' After she was taken away from us we entered one of the darkest stages of our lives. I honestly didn't think we were going to survive it. When she returned to us ... she was nothing but a delight and turned our sad, awful house into a place of pleasure. And we secretly referred to her birth monster as 'that snake' ... and we all know how that snake caused an uproar over in the Garden. :)

For us ... those names have profound meanings. My wife's name is the same ... she was born and raised in Ireland. Her name is Saoirse Mairead and both of those names are rooted in something special for her parents. My parents brainfarted and named me PAT of all unholy things to name a man.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Jazzmyn
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Who cares?
People aren't conforming to the few dozen most popular names any more. Big deal. The fact everyone does it just means no one even care any more if a name is rare or "weird".
View Quote

Is that a rhetorical question?

Obviously the answer is: OP cares.

At least enough to be contemptuous of people who name their kids like pets.

As I noted earlier in the thread to a similar post: your tolerance sickatates me.  The next kitten I stomp, I'll be sure to say "you can thank Mister44 for this" before hand.

I hope you're proud of yourself.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm definitely going to hire Timothy.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Ricky Bobby
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
You don't say...

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I helped a customer one time. Dudes name was Muhammed Muhammed. All I could think was "your parents already have one of the most common names, and they give you the same damn name for your first name. They have to either hate you, or have zero imagination."
View Quote

I bet NICS checks are fun.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I still care, and will point and laugh in your face if you have a stupid and terrible name
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Okay, I'll jump in on this bandwagon.

I know someone that named their daughter........Ceilidh.

Try and pronounce that in your head.

See-lid?  Kie-liduh?  Sy-lied?

No.  It's Gaelic - pronounced Kay-Lee.

Why would you do that to your kid?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Okay, I'll jump in on this bandwagon.

I know someone that named their daughter........Ceilidh.

Try and pronounce that in your head.

See-lid?  Kie-liduh?  Sy-lied?

No.  It's Gaelic - pronounced Kay-Lee.

Why would you do that to your kid?

View Quote

I've seen a few celtic  names that are not pronounced anything like they're spelled at my son's school

Aoife -  Eva
Saoirse - Sheorsha or some other nonsense.

Have fun explaining that for the rest of your lives.

I'm sure their Gaelic speaking parents took this into consideration before naming them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

just so we are clear and there is no possibility of a bit of hypocrisy,

You have no opinions on anything whatsoever and on the small chance that you do, you keep it to yourself and never share those few opinions you develop.

because having an opinion and expressing that in anyway, would make you a hypocrite.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top