Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 40N6 was meant to engage stand off targets like awacs and jstars and has its own active and semi active seeker. So i dont think they need to have a direct targeting solution on the intended target.

Lots of neat info on this page.

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-S-400-Triumf.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time I see the S400, I only see 4 tubes..  Wouldn't that mean that worst case you can just throw a 5th fighter in the air and you are good to go?

Multiple trucks. I have no idea how many trucks are normally deployed together. and not all missiles are the same. Those tubes fit all sorts of different missiles with different capabilities so who knows whats actually in them or the ranges they could actually engage.

I guess you got to look at the worst case scenario if you are looking at going through it.

I think the one they quote as having a 250 mile range is the ABM missile, and the one they use for engaging air targets is much shorter ranged.

They also never mention radar horizons, so "lol" on 250 mile targeting solutions.

The 40N6 was meant to engage stand off targets like awacs and jstars and has its own active and semi active seeker. So i dont think they need to have a direct targeting solution on the intended target.

Oh, it emits? Nice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Our total force military is a little over 2 million strong. So "no more than" our entire military force 5-to-10 times over isn't exactly something to shrug off. Turns out twenty million people is a LOT of fucking people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
here's my thought on what will eventually happen.

Since Russia is actually the only country that has permission from the Syrian gov't to fly over Syrian airspace, they will declare that ALL nations (except Russia) are no longer allowed to fly over Syrian airspace and will threaten to shoot down any plane that violates it.   Just where I'm thinking this is heading.

A strike on the SAM sights ought to fix that problem.
And all out war with Russia. Suicidal for both countries.  

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.

Our total force military is a little over 2 million strong. So "no more than" our entire military force 5-to-10 times over isn't exactly something to shrug off. Turns out twenty million people is a LOT of fucking people.

I think you missed the reference.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh, it emits? Nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time I see the S400, I only see 4 tubes..  Wouldn't that mean that worst case you can just throw a 5th fighter in the air and you are good to go?

Multiple trucks. I have no idea how many trucks are normally deployed together. and not all missiles are the same. Those tubes fit all sorts of different missiles with different capabilities so who knows whats actually in them or the ranges they could actually engage.

I guess you got to look at the worst case scenario if you are looking at going through it.

I think the one they quote as having a 250 mile range is the ABM missile, and the one they use for engaging air targets is much shorter ranged.

They also never mention radar horizons, so "lol" on 250 mile targeting solutions.

Oh, it emits? Nice.

I think they are also multi stage and come in ballisticly at 6 and a half times the speed of sound.. Not sure i want to be in a AWACs with those zipping around the sky either..
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As weak as NATO is, Turkey should be bumped out.  Do we even still have any Airbases there? Incirlik still open?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you forgetting that Erdogan is a snackbar?

Im not suggesting an all out war on Muslims. . Just the jihadis. If Erdogan wishes to get in the ring and back his buddies in ISIS well then so be it. I think its pretty clear where that guys loyalties are.

As weak as NATO is, Turkey should be bumped out.  Do we even still have any Airbases there? Incirlik still open?

It is, and it's still strategically important.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
S400?  Oh you mean the first thing we blow up with a JASM-ER? I'm thinking 2000 lbs of high explosive on the command vehicle should make the actual missles pretty harmless.

Why the focus on the technology? Tactics are at least as important. Bone launches the JASM from 40k over the med, growers jam the balls off the s400 sensors...while Ivan is trying to burn through the jamming and not believing any of the target data he is seeing, a ton of really smart, really hard to detect whup ass is heading in. Flying low I don't see how the S400 detects JASM in time enough to matter.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lD9kAsh6kus/hqdefault.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lD9kAsh6kus/hqdefault.jpg

Guilty
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Mach 14 is max speed Depending on Missile The S400 uses Holy Fuck

Missiles[edit]

The 40N6 very long range missile is capable of destroying airborne targets at ranges up to 400 km (250 mi). Active radar homing head. (expected in 2012)[35] To engage targets out of sight from the ground (for homing missile can) is designed to find the target.[26] System S - 400 can hit targets at a height of 185 km.[36]
The 48N6DM long range missile is capable of destroying airborne targets at ranges up to 250 km (160 mi). Semi-active radar homing head.
The 48H6E3/48H6E2 – The 250/200 km, target speed 4,800 metres per second (17,000 km/h; 11,000 mph; Mach 14)/2,800 metres per second (10,000 km/h; 6,300 mph; Mach 8.2), rocket speed 2,000 metres per second (7,200 km/h; 4,500 mph; Mach 5.9).[14]
The 9M96E2[37] extended range missile is capable of destroying airborne targets at ranges up to 120 km (75 mi), flying altitude 5 m to 30 km,. It has the highest hit probability against fast, manoeuvrable targets such as fighter aircraft. Weight 420 kg. Active radar homing head. The probability for single missile to destroy the target without taking into account the operational reliability is: (piloted stealth / UAV) of is actively maneuvering = 0.9 / 0.8.[12]
The 9M96E medium range missile (40 km), flying altitude 20 km, weight 333 kg. Active radar homing head.[38]
The 9M96(not for exporting) medium range missile. Range more 120 km, a high probability of target destruction 1 rocket (0.9 for the aircraft and UAV maneuvering – 0.8). Can maneuver at a height of 35[39] km with an overload of more than 20 g, which greatly increases the efficiency of destruction of ballistic missiles medium and short range.[25]
The ABM capabilities are near the maximum allowed under the (now void) Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
The new anti-ballistic missiles 77N6-N and 77N6-N1 to enter service in 2014 supposedly add inert/kinetic anti-ballistic capability to the system.[40] The same missiles will also be used by the S-500, which has a clearly stated anti-ICBM role.[41]
Only 1 system comprising up to eight divisions (battalions) can control up to 72 launchers, with a maximum of 384[42] missiles (including missiles with a range of less than 250 km).[43][44] The missile is fired by a gas system from the launch tube and sent off more than 30 meters into the air before the rocket motor ignites.This increases the maximum range, and decreases the minimum.[26] In practical shooting 9M96 versions using Active Radar Homing has reached a height of 56 km .[45][46] All the missiles are directed explosion warhead, it increases the chance of complete destruction goals.[47] In April 2015 a successful test of the missile at a range of 400 km, the target is destroyed at maximum range.[48][49]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since Russia is actually the only country that has permission from the Syrian gov't to fly over Syrian airspace, they will declare that ALL nations (except Russia) are no longer allowed to fly over Syrian airspace and will threaten to shoot down any plane that violates it.   Just where I'm thinking this is heading.

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.

Where are you getting 20 million from?

Anyways it doesn't matter if you have 100 million, if you can't get them from point A to B and sustain them, numbers don't mean much.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks. fallout
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks. fallout

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

S400?  Oh you mean the first thing we blow up with a JASM-ER? I'm thinking 2000 lbs of high explosive on the command vehicle should make the actual missles pretty harmless.

Why the focus on the technology? Tactics are at least as important. Bone launches the JASM from 40k over the med, growers jam the balls off the s400 sensors...while Ivan is trying to burn through the jamming and not believing any of the target data he is seeing, a ton of really smart, really hard to detect whup ass is heading in. Flying low I don't see how the S400 detects JASM in time enough to matter.

View Quote
The problem with this thinking and many here is that when the US and Russia go at it, it ends like this for everyone.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dailymail Article better info

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/25/19/2ECD4ED500000578-3333777-image-a-16_1448481572696.jpg

The highly advanced S-400 anti-aircraft system Russia has deployed to Latakia offers a massive 250mile wide strike range - allowing it to target a vast swathe of the Middle East (illustrated)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/25/19/2ECEBD4400000578-3333777-image-a-1_1448481386052.jpg
Tensions: Russia's S-400 anti-aircraft systems (pictured) are highly advanced and capable of striking jets travelling up to 250miles away

View Quote

Turkey got this, they have Batman on their side.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if the -400 has eliminated the gaps that allowed Israeli jets to fly right past the Syrian -300s.

Especially considering it was developed before that happened.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm
Quoted:

Fuck turkey, If the oil prices go up, fracking will increase here. More nice paying jobs for Americans
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a feeling a few Turkish F-16's are about to get a SAM in their pooper

I hope so, it's not like they don't continually violate Syrian and Iraqi airspace.  What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

Aren't you concerned about getting pulled into a war with Russia?  Turkey is a NATO ally.  

If we don't join in, it would show that NATO is a toothless wonder, and possibly embolden Putin.  Say goodbye to cheap oil...

Fuck turkey, If the oil prices go up, fracking will increase here. More nice paying jobs for Americans

And that will likely hurt Saudi Arabia the most.  It was stupid to shoot down the plane.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anyways it doesn't matter if you have 100 million, if you can't get them from point A to B and sustain them numbers don't mean much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyways it doesn't matter if you have 100 million, if you can't get them from point A to B and sustain them numbers don't mean much.

From the post I quoted.

But it was a movie reference, so it's moot. That said, the U.S. has by FAR the greatest ability to project its military strength around the globe. We would be able to transport and sustain a large force much more effectively than any other nation, thanks to the last 70 years of us establishing a global military presence.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do realize that there are also Chinese "advisers" walking around in Syria right now...
[blue]
What this could do is force us to enact a No Fly Zone over the entirity of Syria and northern Iraq, and have us stopping Russian, Chinese, and Iranian shipments of weapons to the Assad Regime.[/b]
View Quote

Serious question:  Obama will do this why?  I see him continue to waffle on Syria until his time in office runs out.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is Syria no longer a recognized sovereign nation recognized by the UN, NATO, the US and Turkey?  I'm just curious who's legal system is going to allow you to shoot at Russian targets inside of Syria since they are there at the request of the official Syrian government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a feeling a few Russian SAMs are about to get some Turkish F-16 missiles in their pooper
In a legal sense the Turkish F-16 have no more right to enter Syrian airspace than the Russian plane did entering Turk airspace, so if the Russians down a couple of Turk F-16's over Syrian airspace is it a good shoot?  
Apples to Oranges. Russians have no rights to fly fighters into Turkey, just like Turkey would have no rights to fly into Russia. Syria on the other hand is different.

All sides can do whatever they want in Syria. That's the problem... No single entity controls the air or ground. Think of it like the thunderdome and it will be easier for you...

If Russia shoots down Turk F-16s over Syria, then so be it.

If Turkey blows up Russian SAMs in Syria, then so be it.

It's just how it works in the arena.

Small games right now, but if Russia keeps playing around and bowing up it will get fucking smacked. The big boys are in the arena now.

Is Syria no longer a recognized sovereign nation recognized by the UN, NATO, the US and Turkey?  I'm just curious who's legal system is going to allow you to shoot at Russian targets inside of Syria since they are there at the request of the official Syrian government.

Exactly what I was thinking.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to interrupt any Russia fellating, but seems Putin has just announced Russia will now cooperate with the anti-ISIL coalition operations.

About time.

So much for them showing us how it's done.

Maybe now a shared ACO will prevent future tragedies.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you really think they would fire on US aircraft operating in our normal areas. Hell no. Maybe if we decided to fly uncomfortably close to their air base...but otherwise they wouldn't dare. No way...

ETA- still FBHO tho lol
View Quote

I would imagine the Russians said something similar to themselves right before they got shot down.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry to interrupt any Russia fellating, but seems Putin has just announced Russia will now cooperate with the anti-ISIL coalition operations.
View Quote

Considering Russia was the only country actually doing anything significant against ISIS that isn't real re-assuring to me. Does that mean they are going to fly sorties around the clock without ever dropping a bomb like the rest of the "coalition" does? When does this "coalition" start striking ISIS' allies? You know, the Gulf States, the Saudis, Turkey? When do the airstrikes against them start?

I'm kidding. I know we're all cheering for the Islamists to defeat the evil decadent Christian capitalist Russian whores.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Considering Russia was the only country actually doing anything significant against ISIS that isn't real re-assuring to me. Does that mean they are going to fly sorties around the clock without ever dropping a bomb like the rest of the "coalition" does? When does this "coalition" start striking ISIS' allies? You know, the Gulf States, the Saudis, Turkey? When do the airstrikes against them start?

I'm kidding. I know we're all cheering for the Islamists to defeat the evil decadent Christian capitalist Russian whores.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are majority Orthodox Christians aren't they? They are a capitalist country aren't they? Likely more capitalist than the US is at the moment, even if it is "crony" or "gangster" capitalism. It's still capitalism, they make us look like North Korea in that department. To think that Russia instituted a flat tax before we have is sickening. And Putin dumps tons of money into the Church, they aren't quite at Poland levels of Christianity but they're pretty close. Again, probably more than "we" are.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Considering Russia was the only country actually doing anything significant against ISIS that isn't real re-assuring to me.
View Quote

News reports suggest that perhaps was not happening.  Given politics, I cannot confirm that Russia was or was not actively going against ISIS.  However, after the downing of that airliner, Russia should have unleashed holy hell upon them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They are majority Orthodox Christians aren't they? They are a capitalist country aren't they? Likely more capitalist than the US is at the moment, even if it is "crony" or "gangster" capitalism. It's still capitalism, they make us look like North Korea in that department. To think that Russia instituted a flat tax before we have is sickening. And Putin dumps tons of money into the Church, they aren't quite at Poland levels of Christianity but they're pretty close. Again, probably more than "we" are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't capitalist, and anyone paying attention knows they weren't doing much against ISIS.  The U.S. and the coalition forces have been doing far more than Russia has.  Russia's main focus is on groups currently more directly threatening to the Assad regime.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

News reports suggest that perhaps was not happening.  Given politics, I cannot confirm that Russia was or was not actively going against ISIS.  However, after the downing of that airliner, Russia should have unleashed holy hell upon them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering Russia was the only country actually doing anything significant against ISIS that isn't real re-assuring to me.

They are and will. They have to secure the "good" parts of the country first. You cannot have al-Qaeda camped outside major cities while you strike at ISIS 500 miles away. You got to push from east to west. ISIS will meet some gentlemen from the Interior Ministry soon enough. It will likely end poorly considering that with all the training the FSB and Spetsnaz has, they still can't spell "Geneva Convention". How unfortunate that will be for Raqqa.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They aren't capitalist,
View Quote

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that one. And ask you to provide sources. Everything I've read and seen (even personally for a couple days) says they are one of the most capitalist counties on earth. Beaten only by Somalia and a few unimportant countries.

ETA- Unless Putin was defeated by the Commies in an emergency election and all the reforms have been pulled back. I've been watching the Lions so I haven't kept up with the news much today.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#27]

I wish more people would take a few hours to read up a bit on the end of the Ottoman Empire and have a bit of understanding as to why the countries are as comprehensive effed up and maybe even spend 15 minutes reading about Islam and ethnicities involved.

Syria is a clusterfuck for the same reason as Yugoslavia was after nobody could take the place of Tito and everyone was sick of everyone else's shit. The popular line now is to claim Assad was a benevolent secular leader who protected the minority Christians and Druze,just like his dad,which is utter bullshit. He is a dictator who relied upon leveraging groups against each other while keeping them oppressed via a police state. Your defenders of Christians and Druze killed the hell out of them in Lebanon.

France originally planned on creating many smaller states inside of what became Syria,including a coastal state for the Alawis,a place for the Druze and so forth. The Kurds did not get a place as most fell in line with the Turkish claim that there is no such thing as a Kurd,rather they are "mountain Turks",pretty similar to how many Russians say there is no such thing as a Ukrainian.

Now something even funnier is that Russia actually had a big plan for Turkey had the Bolsheviks not revolted. The Tsar was going to claim Constantinople,do a touch of ethnic cleansing and repopulate with Cossacks. This was going to guarantee that Russia could not be bottled up in the Black Sea.

To me,it is absurd to think that Assad will get to have his borders back. The Turks and Arabs aren't very likely to let this happen and it will take Russian boots to retake all that ground and quite frankly Putin isn't stupid enough to think it would be a cheap occupation. The best solution now would be either Assad is OK with having a rump state or gets replaced. Turkey gets Hatay,Jordan and Iraq get chunks,Rojava joins with Iraqi Kurdistan and the Golan officially becomes Israeli.
Would it be perfect? No. Would it still mean everyone hates each other? Yup but what else is new.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Now something even funnier is that Russia actually had a big plan for Turkey had the Bolsheviks not revolted. The Tsar was going to claim Constantinople,do a touch of ethnic cleansing and repopulate with Cossacks. This was going to guarantee that Russia could not be bottled up in the Black Sea.

View Quote

Goddamn Commies ruin everything.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't there a touch of "returning the land to Christianity" too?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

To me,it is absurd to think that Assad will get to have his borders back. The Turks and Arabs aren't very likely to let this happen and it will take Russian boots to retake all that ground and quite frankly Putin isn't stupid enough to think it would be a cheap occupation. The best solution now would be either Assad is OK with having a rump state or gets replaced. Turkey gets Hatay,Jordan and Iraq get chunks,Rojava joins with Iraqi Kurdistan and the Golan officially becomes Israeli.
Would it be perfect? No. Would it still mean everyone hates each other? Yup but what else is new.

View Quote

Yup, our maps will all be out of date before this latest campaign is over. Atlas makers, stand by.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I wish more people would take a few hours to read up a bit on the end of the Ottoman Empire and have a bit of understanding as to why the countries are as comprehensive effed up and maybe even spend 15 minutes reading about Islam and ethnicities involved.
View Quote

Link to said couple of hours of reading?

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I think you might like this book – "The Turks in World History" by Carter Vaughn Findley.

Start reading it for free: http://amzn.to/1NRnBsm
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I think you might like this book – "The Caucasus: An Introduction" by Thomas de Waal.

Start reading it for free: http://amzn.to/1Xjj9x4
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I think you might like this book – "A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East" by David Fromkin.

Start reading it for free: http://amzn.to/1Snabbq
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ottomans backed the wrong horse in WW1, some Aussies got slaughtered, France took a chunk of Ottoman empire, Britain already had a chunk and took more chunks. They started drawing lines on maps with no regards to tribes or sects of Islam and installing leaders of chunks. Lots of coups followed, some bloody, some not. Periods of peace, periods of war. Jews take over chunk of British Palestine, more war, more periods of peace, more war. Here we are, same lines still drawn, same people that hate each other stuck inside those lines. Occasionally a strong dictator can hold it all together. We get pissy and overthrow them because sometimes it takes a bit of genocide and gas to hold them together. We overthrow a few dictators, keep same lines, more war, waiting on period of peace. The end.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Holy roboposts, Batman.

But seriously the classic book on the making of the modern Middle East is that third one, "A Peace to End All Peace," and a passing familiarity with it could end a lot of GD derp.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Russia is used to getting their way; this time they didn't.

If they commit an overt act against Turkey, NATO is obligated by treaty to respond. This leaves them isolated and without many friends.

Their foot print in Syria still seems pretty light, doing something foolish could imperil their mission in Syria, whatever it is.

Remember, this occurred because Russia chose to get involved; war is hell, shit happens.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

About time.

So much for them showing us how it's done.

Maybe now a shared ACO will prevent future tragedies.
View Quote

Good.. More dead snackbars
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that one. And ask you to provide sources. Everything I've read and seen (even personally for a couple days) says they are one of the most capitalist counties on earth. Beaten only by Somalia and a few unimportant countries.

ETA- Unless Putin was defeated by the Commies in an emergency election and all the reforms have been pulled back. I've been watching the Lions so I haven't kept up with the news much today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't capitalist,

I hate the term "capitalism," and I think it's silly to insist on using a communist pejorative.

Anyhow, Russia does not have a true free market economy.  The state is still involved in many ways.  Russia is not a free state in general.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I hate the term "capitalism,"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't capitalist,

I think that is obvious. You seem to hate everything about it. Still waiting on those sources. And I don't care about freedom of the press of any of that bullshit, it has nothing to do with capitalism.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Syria is a clusterfuck for the same reason as Yugoslavia was after nobody could take the place of Tito and everyone was sick of everyone else's shit. The popular line now is to claim Assad was a benevolent secular leader who protected the minority Christians and Druze,just like his dad,which is utter bullshit. He is a dictator who relied upon leveraging groups against each other while keeping them oppressed via a police state. Your defenders of Christians and Druze killed the hell out of them in Lebanon.

France originally planned on creating many smaller states inside of what became Syria,including a coastal state for the Alawis,a place for the Druze and so forth. The Kurds did not get a place as most fell in line with the Turkish claim that there is no such thing as a Kurd,rather they are "mountain Turks",pretty similar to how many Russians say there is no such thing as a Ukrainian.

View Quote

Well said.

I dont think Assad was ever really going to have to worry about losing Tartus or Latakia, the terrain favors them and its dominated by Alawites, his core supporters.

But immediately prior to Russian intervention, about the time the Iranians started pouring IRGC Quds, Ground Forces, and Hezbollah into the fight, Assad was being threatened with the loss the Hama Plain and Homs through FSA and Nusra joint offensives. Lose that ground, then the primary passage to Damascus and the rest of the country is gone. By that point, Assad would control a sliver of his country, the least valuable, and the rest would fall quickly to various anti-Assad factions (who'd then fight it out among themselves).

For those of you following this that don't understand the significance, losing Homs is like the Rebs taking Cemetary Ridge at Gettysburg. Even if they do everything else right, losing that portion loses them the battle.

Map of Syria, by province and city

To control Syria you need to control the plains.

Map of Syria, Topographic

Right now half the Aleppo and Hama Plain is held by pro-Assad forces, the rest, east and south, is controlled by anti-Assad forces. And they were about to full lose the Aleppo/Hama Plain. Russians and Iranians are preventing this, but its likely going to fail long term. Even if they defeat the anti-Assad forces openly in battle and retake the ground, it doesn't mean the enemy is defeated. The insurgents will simply melt into the background, start fighting more unconventionally, less head to head fighting, more ambushing and hit and run attacks. Nearly everything of Latakia and Tartus is Sunni dominated, Assad really doesn't stand a chance holding it unless he does so with their consent.

Assad and his dad should never really been controlling Syria anyway. The only reason they did was that many of the Alawites, including Assad Senior managed to co-opt the leadership of the Syrian Ba'ath Party, which was a pan Islamic Arab Nationalist movement. Once the Assad family controlled the military and Baath party, they controlled Syria. Through police state tactics, they purged any direct enemy and then played the rest against one another to maintain their balance of power. But it was only a matter of time before he would lose control of the Sunnis, especially after the religious revival starting in the late 80s, early 90s, courtesy of the spread of Salafist ideals, paid for by the Saudis.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think that is obvious. You seem to hate everything about it. Still waiting on those sources. And I don't care about freedom of the press of any of that bullshit, it has nothing to do with capitalism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't capitalist,

You must have me confused with someone else.  I adamantly favour a free market.  

Russia still maintains a number of state economic institutions, which tend to favour firms based on political considerations.  The state still reserves the right to intervene in a number of ways, and sometimes does.  They certainly have a freer economic system than they did under the Soviet Union, but let's not pretend that they are some liberal beacon (or anything close) in terms of their economy.  It is much freer nominally than in reality.  As with much in Russia, there is the façade and then there is the reality.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#44]
This is back in July. Kinda crazy how there's people laying out on the beach and then less then 50 miles away there's a huge war going on. Seems like living under Assad's control is much better then living under moderate head choppers. You decide.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Apples to Oranges. Russians have no rights to fly fighters into Turkey, just like Turkey would have no rights to fly into Russia. Syria on the other hand is different.

All sides can do whatever they want in Syria. That's the problem... No single entity controls the air or ground. Think of it like the thunderdome and it will be easier for you...

Small games right now, but if Russia keeps playing around and bowing up it will get fucking smacked. The big boys are in the arena now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a feeling a few Russian SAMs are about to get some Turkish F-16 missiles in their pooper

In a legal sense the Turkish F-16 have no more right to enter Syrian airspace than the Russian plane did entering Turk airspace, so if the Russians down a couple of Turk F-16's over Syrian airspace is it a good shoot?  

Not really, Russia already sent long range bombers from Russia and completely destroyed the turkmen rebels. They left Russia went around Europe and bombed the ever living shit out of the border crossing and the Syrian army is now in control of that area. I could only imagine how many people are calling Turkey right now and telling them how dumb they are.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is back in July. Kinda crazy how there's people laying out on the beach and then less then 50 miles away there's a huge war going on. Seems like living under Assad's control is much better then living under moderate head choppers. You decide.

View Quote

Uh yeah, he's a secular leader who never bothered the Christians or even the handful of Jews living there. Notice how the women can walk around freely without the head gear or male escorts. We don't like that though. We like what the Saudis tell us to like, and that is Wahhabism. A strict interpretation of the Koran is what we are going for and by God that's what we are going to get. I don't care how many TOWs we taxpayers have to pay for. We cannot allow a secular dictator to survive in the ME. We sent a strong message in 2003, apparently Assad didn't get that memo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Uh yeah, he's a secular leader who never bothered the Christians or even the handful of Jews living there. Notice how the women can walk around freely without the head gear or male escorts. We don't like that though. We like what the Saudis tell us to like, and that is Wahhabism. A strict interpretation of the Koran is what we are going for and by God that's what we are going to get. I don't care how many TOWs we taxpayers have to pay for. We cannot allow a secular dictator to survive in the ME. We sent a strong message in 2003, apparently Assad didn't get that memo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Women without head cover is blasphemous
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#48]

A couple battalions of those with reloads could shoot down half the Turkish Air Force in short order.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

- Russian

- "highly advanced"

Pick one.

View Quote
It outclasses anything we have

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

On what? Paper?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With what? The S400 can engage and dispatch the F16 before it even gets into range.

On what? Paper?

The S400 is no joke. The interceptors can outmaneuver any airframe in the air.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top