User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somehow that's different in their minds.  

Big brother tells you you can't buy and consume moonshine? Pshhhhh who gives a fuck if they say I can't do it and who are they to tell me I can't drink something to alter my state of mind?!

Big brother tells you you can't buy and use a full auto weapon (made after '86). OMG INFRINGEMENT ON MY RIGHTS! I AM A RESPONSIBLE PERSON!

Big brother tells you you can't buy and consume marijuana. GOOD OMG THAT SHIT IS BAD FOR YOU FUCKING DOPERS! THESE PEOPLE ARE IRRESPONSIBLE AND DANGEROUS!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In this thread we all talk about ingesting moonshine. While in another we will condemn someone and possibly lock a thread for talking about smoking weed.

Moonshine is some awesom stuff if you want to get shit faced 5 minutes ago. 5-6 big gulps and then all you got to do sip a couple beers and find a place to sleep

Big brother tells you you can't buy and consume moonshine? Pshhhhh who gives a fuck if they say I can't do it and who are they to tell me I can't drink something to alter my state of mind?!

Big brother tells you you can't buy and use a full auto weapon (made after '86). OMG INFRINGEMENT ON MY RIGHTS! I AM A RESPONSIBLE PERSON!

Big brother tells you you can't buy and consume marijuana. GOOD OMG THAT SHIT IS BAD FOR YOU FUCKING DOPERS! THESE PEOPLE ARE IRRESPONSIBLE AND DANGEROUS!

To be fair the penalties for the above are

-who gives a fuck if it's small scale and no one goes blind

-Federal pound me in the ass prison

-no one gives a shit anymore
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:24:17 AM EDT
[#2]
We had a neighbor who has since passed, God Rest His Soul, who made some incredible moonshine.  It nearly tasted like water but it would leave you just absolutely fucked up in no time.  I first tasted it when I was around 15 and drank it off and on into college. The man was a good farmer but just an absolute genius distiller.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Shared this with a real moonshiner from KY...no complaints.

Bastard drank 1/2 of it while I was shooting his private range.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:57:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got an unopened gallon of 200 proof pure ethanol, manufactured by Koptec. I don't know if this stuff is drinkable but I'm not going to try it.
I don't even have a use for it. I'm hanging onto it in just in case but I seriously doubt I'll ever open it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
i may or might not know a few acquaintences that manufacture said substance. 1 of them is a hobbyist and makes a decent drink. the other is like a freaking ethanol scientist who learned from his recently passed uncle. he talks way over my head when he talks about it but its super interesting to hear. he cuts it down to around 140 proof for bottling. keep it in the freezer and use sparingly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't appreciate your avatar and title change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mostly the flavor.

I don't appreciate your avatar and title change.

++
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
This is(was?) available around here.

It had an *interesting* taste.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Moonshine is way overrated..WAY OVERATED!
It tastes like turpentine mixed with rubbing alcohol.
It is hilarious to me people will pay more for some shit slopped out in some dirty fucking barrel in some shitty holler made with god knows what because it's "cool". Versus buying booze that won't make you go blind or kill you because ole boy used an old radiator in his still.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i may or might not know a few acquaintences that manufacture said substance. 1 of them is a hobbyist and makes a decent drink. the other is like a freaking ethanol scientist who learned from his recently passed uncle. he talks way over my head when he talks about it but its super interesting to hear. he cuts it down to around 140 proof for bottling. keep it in the freezer and use sparingly.
View Quote

There's a sweet spot between 120 and 140 proof for good taste.  You can make a liquor that tastes "smooth" because it's not pure liquid hate and has some water mixed in, yet still quite strong enough to smack the shit out of you after a few pulls.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Shine will taste different depending what grain bill is used to make the mash, how much Dunder is reused, how much sour mash is used, what kind of yeast is used, how much genetic drift the yeast goes through, how the mash is fermented, what kind of still is used, how the still is operated, and when the cuts are made.

With a good grain bill and a properly fermented mash it's possible to make some very sweet tasting high proof liqueur if you have your still tuned properly and make good cuts.

Or so I have heard....
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
My family has been making moonshine in north central Tennessee since the Civil War. They don't make the sugar liquor that is so common there these days (cheap and fast to produce), instead they still use the recipes from the beginning....corn, rye, rice, etc... Real shine doesn't taste like gasoline/turpentine/ass, only the shitty stuff made by lazy idiots trying to make a fast buck does.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate high proof whiskey

it tastes like rubbing alcohol

even if it's aged it tastes raw and harsh

this moonshine fad is just another hipster thing

when people say that moonshine is "smooth" and "tasty", you know they never had any

maybe they'll start selling sterno mixed with prison pruno, because it's so smooth and tasty.  

everclear sucks ass, it's a waste of money

it makes people drunk too fast

when I was in college they used to make punch from everclear

know what happens at a college party when everyone gets totally shitfaced?

all the pretty girls leave the party

most rosy-cheeked college girls don't like to get shitfaced barf drunk, they like to drink a few wine coolers and get "buzzed"

pretty girls don't want to be around a bunch of slobbery drunks

I used to argue this point every fucking time we would throw a party

a college party needs a keg of bud and some box wine or Zima shit for the girls

hard liquor fucks up a party because people overpour
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.koge-shop.at/images/product_images/original_images/georgiamoon.jpg

View Quote

Yeah..."interesting" tastes like adding the tails cuts back into the hearts to reintroduce the corn oils and aromatics.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

if you take a tour of a distillery, a lot of times they will let you taste the raw white spirits

it tastes like crap

that's why they age it
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Because taxation makes it taste like shit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#18]
If it is taxed it ain't 'shine
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live 5 minutes from the Moonshine capitol of the world.  I'm spoiled, and could never drink the mass produced stuff
View Quote

I live about 30 mins from it. My great grandpa and his brothers were big time bootleggers. I had several uncles that use to run it too. Heck even the local police use to buy it from one of them.

Things have changed though.

Here is one that is made from the TV show that is made local. http://www.climaxmoonshine.com/home.html

Jr Johnson distillery is not far from me either. http://www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com/
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Their apple pie is sugary horseshit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

this moonshine fad is just another hipster thing

when people say that moonshine is "smooth" and "tasty", you know they never had any

maybe they'll start selling sterno mixed with prison pruno, because it's so smooth and tasty.  

everclear sucks ass, it's a waste of money

it makes people drunk too fast

when I was in college they used to make punch from everclear

know what happens at a college party when everyone gets totally shitfaced?

most rosy-cheeked college girls don't like to get shitfaced barf drunk, they like to drink a few wine coolers and get "buzzed"

pretty girls don't want to be around a bunch of slobbery drunks

View Quote

Or....Your parties just sucked.  I knew plenty of hot chicks that liked to drink too much.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 on this, good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe because real moonshine is by definition illegal, so anyone making it would not be legit?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have been given a swig about of 6 different brews (That I am unsure of origin or legality). Three of them were similar to everclear.

Three of them were still knock you on your ass strong, but smooth, drinkable by themselves.

Those three were stille more drinkable than the 60 proof "Grandpas Moonshine" or what ever that shit is they sell at the liquor stores now.

That is what I am talking about quality high proof grain alcohol that is drinkable.

View Quote
What you are looking for is Sun Dog 130 proof. It is EXTREMELY smooth (dangerously so), and has a slight corn sweetness to it. It tastes good. You can also go from sober to clinging to the floor so you don't float off into space in an alarmingly short period of time if you're not careful.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Cause it's not as good as scotch, whisky, or bourbon..... Actually, it fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a good friend from Newport, Tenn. who acquires some liquid in a mason jar that can be very smooth but powerful on the palate.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Or....Your parties just sucked.  I knew plenty of hot chicks that liked to drink too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmm....

what should I believe?

what I saw with my own eyes maybe 100 times?

or

internet fantasy bullshit?

I guess I'll believe internet fantasy bullshit, you convinced me.

Yeah, the pretty 20 year old college girls all drink everclear until they're lying in a bathroom in a puddle of vomit

and they like sloppy glassy-eyed drunk guys stepping on their feet and spraying their face with drunken beer spittle when they talk

and they hate making bright chitter chatter with their friends and dancing to happy dance songs

that's just how they roll

thanks for that help
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#29]
There are pretty much two types of moonshine out there.

The first category is grain alcohol that is distilled multiple times to produce a purer high proof spirit and then often watered down for consumption.  It's basically vodka at this point.  This is the stuff you see on the liquor store shelf with flavor added and an old-timey looking label added.  

The other category is produced from fewer distilling runs and ends up with more congeners, and other flavor compounds from the grain and yeast.   The amount of congeners can vary considerably depending on where the heads and tails were cut.    This is what you're looking at when Clem from down at the Elks Club passes around the jar.  Though there are some big distilleries selling their white dog distilled in a similar fashion.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have been given a swig about of 6 different brews (That I am unsure of origin or legality). Three of them were similar to everclear.
Three of them were still knock you on your ass strong, but smooth, drinkable by themselves.
Those three were stille more drinkable than the 60 proof "Grandpas Moonshine" or what ever that shit is they sell at the liquor stores now.

That is what I am talking about quality high proof grain alcohol that is drinkable.
View Quote

everclear is exactly what you get out of a still--straight distillate.  post-distillation additives like water and flavorings are what makes those "drinkable" brands drinkable.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've been there for the last 3 years.  They didn't have it.  I'll be there the first week of February, I'll check again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure Breckenridge makes some, too.

But I think it's only on sale at their distillery.

Will need to check the next time I'm there.

I've been there for the last 3 years.  They didn't have it.  I'll be there the first week of February, I'll check again.

Was there last year and did the tour. I don't remember any talk of straight up, un-aged whiskey of any kind.

They did mention they were going to start doing rum.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Funny you should mention it...

Got a text from a pal in central KY a little while ago that said "Wife is resting up afer hurt cat surgry.  I beeen wachin corn juce drip form a copper tube & Im grunk".  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had some wonderful moonshine.

Bourbon is better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In this thread we all talk about ingesting moonshine. While in another we will condemn someone and possibly lock a thread for talking about smoking weed.

Moonshine is some awesom stuff if you want to get shit faced 5 minutes ago. 5-6 big gulps and then all you got to do sip a couple beers and find a place to sleep

Spot on.

Quoted:

1. when people say that moonshine is "smooth" and "tasty", you know they never had any

2.  everclear sucks ass, it's a waste of money

3.  know what happens at a college party when everyone gets totally shitfaced?

4.  most rosy-cheeked college girls don't like to get shitfaced barf drunk, they like to drink a few wine coolers and get "buzzed"

5. pretty girls don't want to be around a bunch of slobbery drunks

1. Either you don't like it or what you had was shitty, but wrong either way.
2. See 1.
3. Never been to a college party then huh?
4. So you're a "college girl" then? Your entire post disagrees with reality.
5. So now you're a pretty college girl?

You sound like a blast to hang out with.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Shine will taste different depending what grain bill is used to make the mash, how much Dunder is reused, how much sour mash is used, what kind of yeast is used, how much genetic drift the yeast goes through, how the mash is fermented, what kind of still is used, how the still is operated, and when the cuts are made.

With a good grain bill and a properly fermented mash it's possible to make some very sweet tasting high proof liqueur if you have your still tuned properly and make good cuts.

Or so I have heard....
View Quote

Listen to this guy. He knows what the Fuck he is talking about.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top