BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And here I thought you guys were on about some fetishist gear queer thing. I am currently wearing a Seiko 5 with a strap just like that. I can't say that I am bowled over by it, but it has been sturdy and comfortable compared to the steel bracelets I normally choose for a Seiko 5.
View Quote

I have a 5 with a metal band and one with a NATO.  I prefer the NATO, but since I sweat at work, I almost always wear the metal one since it doesn't stink.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have to use plastic/rubber.  Any type of fabric soaks the sweat and it starts smelling NASTY after a while.  Even after washing.
View Quote

Yes....but....

They are cheap enough to buy one or three every few months to swap out due to smell or colors.

If yours get the stink try the maratac silicon deployment strap. Have one on my sub homage beater and it's great.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't stand metal bands. NATO for me. Seiko Sumo pictured.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nato strap co. Is doing a killer blackfriday deal. They have some nice straps. You guys can thank me latter. I won't even hide it in a team only thread.

http://natostrapsco.com/
View Quote

40% off with code cyber15

Just ordered some
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

what model is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/ccqYSYo.jpg

I like mine especially that I can toss it in the wash

what model is that?

Citizen navihawk with 24mm nato strap
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They're cool and all but wait awhile until the body oils and sweat build up and suddenly they're not so cool anymore.  Ask me how I know!  They end up smelling like old pennies so you throw them in a box somewhere and a couple years later you find them and they're frosty with mold and fungus...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just swapped a few of my watches over to NATO straps. They feel so much better than the metal bands..

Any one else here a fan?

They're cool and all but wait awhile until the body oils and sweat build up and suddenly they're not so cool anymore.  Ask me how I know!  They end up smelling like old pennies so you throw them in a box somewhere and a couple years later you find them and they're frosty with mold and fungus...

I wear my watch in the shower about once a week and give the strap a thorough shampooing, keeps the funk from being a problem.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh. They're like the granite countertops of watchbands. Everybody's got one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks Mr. Spats and Monocle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Huge fan of NATO straps. Have them on all but two of my everyday watches. And the last two might be getting them at some point.

Much more comfortable than any leather strap, and especially any metal strap I have used.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here, good quality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get mine from County Comm.

Same here, good quality.

+3
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking more Uncle Rich Pennybags...

Though I love it when he rabbit-ears his pants Hooverville Mayor style

Then there was the hard time he did...

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
No, those things are 2015's equivalent of 1987's Swatch.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
When my TAG Heuer Formula 1 broke it's rubber band (which is around $199 to replace) I went with a black NATO band. I love it, though it certainly looks unusual and can't pass muster in dressy occasions (not that that stops me from wearing it anyway).
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
What width for my Seiko dive watch? Forget the model, but its the same as those pictured on page 1.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a fan as they soak up sweat and start smelling.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#19]
The solid-color straps are okay, but there is a degree of gaiety involved with those striped ones.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Funny you should ask.

My wife just gifted me a Tudor Black Bay literally 45 minutes ago - I'm thinking of swapping out the distressed leather for the included NATO type strap.

I don't have one of those little pin extractor tool things so I'm hesitating.
View Quote

I do and I still use the edge from a swiss army can opener more often than not.  The hardest of them are the pins on metal bracelets where there are stylized end links that match up to smooth the transition between band and case.  Those generally have a very small window to work in.  Leather, rubber, nylon bands all you need is a small bladeish thing of some sort.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I do and I still use the edge from a swiss army can opener more often than not.  The hardest of them are the pins on metal bracelets where there are stylized end links that match up to smooth the transition between band and case.  Those generally have a very small window to work in.  Leather, rubber, nylon bands all you need is a small bladeish thing of some sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny you should ask.

My wife just gifted me a Tudor Black Bay literally 45 minutes ago - I'm thinking of swapping out the distressed leather for the included NATO type strap.

I don't have one of those little pin extractor tool things so I'm hesitating.

I use some feeler gauges.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#22]
It works for certain watches.  I've seen it done with higher-end watches and IMO it doesn't work.  I prefer original metal bracelets on my Omegas, Sinn etc.

I have a custom GasGasBones NATO on a limited run military-esque watch.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What width for my Seiko dive watch? Forget the model, but its the same as those pictured on page 1.
View Quote

most seiko's are 22mm
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just ordered some
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nato strap co. Is doing a killer blackfriday deal. They have some nice straps. You guys can thank me latter. I won't even hide it in a team only thread.

Just ordered some

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a couple AND avoided the Black Friday BS in the process.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one on a Traser and it's worked fine.  Just replaced it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
<putting watchmaker hat on>

Not a fan particularly of the nylon NATOs. They are scratchy and after wear get all ratty looking. Plus the thin strap on thick watches can look a little odd. The leather ones are much nicer to my skin. But I realize the nylon might be good for someone that gets in the muck. There is an outfit making sailcloth ones that are pretty nice. And I have one watch on a two-piece NATO style strap because I sometime don't like all the extra "strapage". I like the canvas ones too.

I didn't know that there were so many watch people here. Perhaps I should change my username to WatchGrabber....
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been on the fence myself, but would love to see some pics.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag263/Bsr_Bullets/IMG_1370_zpsaslwjrqg.jpg

Their fine on some Seiko 5 or other inexpensive watch, but on a Rolex?  
Would you put vinyl seats in a Corvette?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just swapped a few of my watches over to NATO straps. They feel so much better than the metal bands..

Any one else here a fan?
View Quote

Not a fan in the least, but if you like it that is what matters.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And here I thought you guys were on about some fetishist gear queer thing. I am currently wearing a Seiko 5 with a strap just like that. I can't say that I am bowled over by it, but it has been sturdy and comfortable compared to the steel bracelets I normally choose for a Seiko 5.
View Quote

My Seiko 5 just died the other day.  It was gaining time like crazy and then just began stopping.    I liked the watch but the cost of repair is more than buying a replacement.  I only got 2 years out of it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#31]
My first was a Rhino on my Seiko diver. I usually just get Maratac bands now because they're about as tough but cheaper to buy. I haven't worn either out yet although the tag on the Rhino came off many years ago.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Same here! Love the zulu - strap for days.  I do have a question: The zulu has an extra strap that runs underneath the watch that's sewn to the main strap and terminates with two additional metal loops that the main strap goes through doubling the band under the watch.  Does anybody know what that's used for?

The zulu is great for big wrists and even better for wearing the watch over gloves, wet suits, ski jackets etc.

OP: there's only one drawback to nato straps and that is after a month of wear you'll start to smell what you think is your own feet.   just toss the band in the wash with a load of clothes and you're back in business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really do like them.  I prefer the heavy duty Zulu style.  I have 8.25" wrists, so the length  is just right for me.

https://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/i-999ZvNB/0/L/i-999ZvNB-L.jpg

Same here! Love the zulu - strap for days.  I do have a question: The zulu has an extra strap that runs underneath the watch that's sewn to the main strap and terminates with two additional metal loops that the main strap goes through doubling the band under the watch.  Does anybody know what that's used for?

The zulu is great for big wrists and even better for wearing the watch over gloves, wet suits, ski jackets etc.

OP: there's only one drawback to nato straps and that is after a month of wear you'll start to smell what you think is your own feet.   just toss the band in the wash with a load of clothes and you're back in business.

OK, here it is again: The four-ring (five, including the buckle--Some folks aren't too clear on the nomenclature) Zulu straps have that "extra" ring on them to lock down the watch completely, and isolate the watch pins from stress. The rings and extra strap are there to prevent things like you getting your wrist hooked on something from putting all the stress on the watch pins, and popping them off or breaking them.

The diagram on the bottom of this web page shows the correct way to lace the strap:

https://www.natozulu.com/content/12-zulu-5-ring-strap-instructions

Do it the way the idiots show in the top diagrams, and you're getting no benefit from the design. Again, the idea is that that "extra" strap and rings are there to isolate the watch from the band, and prevent the pins from getting too much stress put on them if your watchband gets caught on something. The old-school NATO straps don't allow for this, and the Zulu four-ring is a superior design because of it. Back in the day, I quit wearing the old Army-issue nylon straps because of this factor--You get the strap hooked or caught on something, and as the tension is taken up, it's passed on to the watch pins, leaving you minus a watch in very short order. Used to lose watches all the time, doing stuff like rappelling or working around camo nets and wire. I've never had that issue with properly set-up four-ring Zulu.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Seiko has a new movement out that hacks and hand winds that they are putting into some of the divers and 5 series. You should look for it if you get another.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
most seiko's are 22mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

most seiko's are 22mm

Not the "SPORK".  

I wish it was 22mm.  That's my only complaint about the watch.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not the "SPORK".  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

most seiko's are 22mm
Not the "SPORK".  

That thing is fucking mammoth.

Wish they made it in a 013 size.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OK, here it is again: The four-ring (five, including the buckle--Some folks aren't too clear on the nomenclature) Zulu straps have that "extra" ring on them to lock down the watch completely, and isolate the watch pins from stress. The rings and extra strap are there to prevent things like you getting your wrist hooked on something from putting all the stress on the watch pins, and popping them off or breaking them.

The diagram on the bottom of this web page shows the correct way to lace the strap:

Do it the way the idiots show in the top diagrams, and you're getting no benefit from the design. Again, the idea is that that "extra" strap and rings are there to isolate the watch from the band, and prevent the pins from getting too much stress put on them if your watchband gets caught on something. The old-school NATO straps don't allow for this, and the Zulu four-ring is a superior design because of it. Back in the day, I quit wearing the old Army-issue nylon straps because of this factor--You get the strap hooked or caught on something, and as the tension is taken up, it's passed on to the watch pins, leaving you minus a watch in very short order. Used to lose watches all the time, doing stuff like rappelling or working around camo nets and wire. I've never had that issue with properly set-up four-ring Zulu.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really do like them.  I prefer the heavy duty Zulu style.  I have 8.25" wrists, so the length  is just right for me.

https://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/i-999ZvNB/0/L/i-999ZvNB-L.jpg

Good instructions, but spring bars are pretty tough little beasties. They should neither break nor pop out. Many times the Chinese ones are made from pot metal and can be week but even then they shouldn't fail catastrophically. I've never had a Swiss one fail. If they pop out they were either sized wrong in the first place or your lug holes have got issues.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a black Zulu on my Citizen Divemaster and a khaki one on my Suunto military. About to order a couple more as NATO Strap Co is running a 40% off sale through Dec 1. Use Cyber15 at checkout.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

most seiko's are 22mm
Not the "SPORK".  

the SPORK is hardly a Mammoth watch.  I think it's like a 44mm wide?  While it's not a small watch, it's not huge either.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
the SPORK is hardly a Mammoth watch.  I think it's like a 44mm wide?  While it's not a small watch, it's not huge either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

most seiko's are 22mm
Not the "SPORK".  

It is on me!  Looks like I stole daddy's watch.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, it's good enough for JB's Omega....
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blame James Bond. Of course those were in the days when a Rolex Sub cost $800 and were straight up tool watches and not $8000 entry level luxury watches like today.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here it is with a standard G-shock

I have since learned how to properly use the ZULU strap.

And with another Seiko model.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good instructions, but spring bars are pretty tough little beasties. They should neither break nor pop out. Many times the Chinese ones are made from pot metal and can be week but even then they shouldn't fail catastrophically. I've never had a Swiss one fail. If they pop out they were either sized wrong in the first place or your lug holes have got issues.
View Quote

Either you're a lot less rough on your watches than I've been in my life, or you've been extraordinarily lucky. I've broken watch pins on dozens of watches, over the years, including factory-provided ones on some fairly high-end ones. You hang a couple of hundred pounds of Combat Engineer off a watch strap, and if the pins hold, you're looking at a miracle. I've had them jerked off my wrist while laying concertina, caught in rope rigging, and one time, wound up literally hanging by a watch strap while rappelling when the anchor failed. The pins went bye-bye, every time. Weakest point in the system, I'm afraid, and they're not going to hold when they become the focus of all the stress put on the band. They can't. I've seen the tips shear off, the central barrels bend, and a whole lot of other failures.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just ordered some
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ordered some

WOW, TWENTY-SEVEN (27!!!) pages of watchbands!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a NATO on a few and a couple others with Zulu's..

both are functional.  I do like the Zulu's a bit better IMHO
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its how the 5517 was issued.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Either you're a lot less rough on your watches than I've been in my life, or you've been extraordinarily lucky. I've broken watch pins on dozens of watches, over the years, including factory-provided ones on some fairly high-end ones. You hang a couple of hundred pounds of Combat Engineer off a watch strap, and if the pins hold, you're looking at a miracle. I've had them jerked off my wrist while laying concertina, caught in rope rigging, and one time, wound up literally hanging by a watch strap while rappelling when the anchor failed. The pins went bye-bye, every time. Weakest point in the system, I'm afraid, and they're not going to hold when they become the focus of all the stress put on the band. They can't. I've seen the tips shear off, the central barrels bend, and a whole lot of other failures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well good grief, those activities don't really fall in the category of "normal wear and tear". Hell no a springbar will not support the weight of a man. I'm surprised your wrist survived intact as well! I'll have to test this some day and hang weights from a watch strap and see were they fail. I think they'd be able to do 50lb sustained.

A full NATO strap might be very good for you if that's what you subject your watches to. You might look for a watch that uses tubes and screws instead of springbars.

....or maybe a pocket watch! But then you'd probably go hanging your waist from things....  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Nato strap co is 40% til 12/1.

The xii that are 1.5mm thick are the nice ones
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I have to take G-shocks apart once a year to completely clean them out because they get so fucked from work that you can't depress the buttons. Some people are alot rougher on watches than others.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top