BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you saying cops have never shot an innocent person in a wrong entry address?

care to document your statement with facts?  I can.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops were doing their job, trying to save a life. They were working with bad info. Stuff happens.

hope it never happens in your house....would you be that forgiving then?  How about if they shot a member of your family?

let me guess...blue line sticker on your car right?

In this instance, I would be upset, but I would forgive them.

And the strawman about the family member is a bit silly, given that if a family member had been home to answer the door and assure the cops no one inside was dying, the whole thing wouldn't have happened.

Are you saying cops have never shot an innocent person in a wrong entry address?

care to document your statement with facts?  I can.

No, I did not say that. I said that in this instance, someone answering the door and saying "nobody dying here, officers" would have headed the whole thing off at the pass. Which makes your scenario of cops breaking down the door, guns ablaze and shooting anything that moves a strawman argument. This wasn't a no knock warrant, nor are cops required to enter and investigate further if someone answers the door and says "nope, nothing like that happening here."

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
A strawman comment would be one with no history to document the statement.  

You and I however know that history of cops making wrongful entries / shootings is increasing and much more common than should be.

More than a few people intending to commit suicide have been killed by the very people sent to save them.

They should be held liable for the wrong address and death of the pet.

Personally liable.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Could you post a link to the statute or case that REQUIRES you to respond to such calls?

Generally speaking, police MAY - that is, they have the power to - respond. I'm not so sure there is a REQUIREMENT, unless you're just referring to department policy. But that's a policy, not a law. It can be changed by the Chief with the stroke of a keyboard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love to not respond to them, but the law in my state hasn't found a better person to deal with a crazy person than the cops.  I'm all for not showing up--I think people should have the right to off themselves, but as of right now, the cops HAVE TO show up.  And if they believe there is a person inside a house that may be hurt, or trying to kill themselves they HAVE TO go in.  It's not their choice.

Could you post a link to the statute or case that REQUIRES you to respond to such calls?

Generally speaking, police MAY - that is, they have the power to - respond. I'm not so sure there is a REQUIREMENT, unless you're just referring to department policy. But that's a policy, not a law. It can be changed by the Chief with the stroke of a keyboard.

394.463 Involuntary examination.—
(1) CRITERIA.—A person may be taken to a receiving facility for involuntary examination if there is reason to believe that the person has a mental illness and because of his or her mental illness:
(a)1. The person has refused voluntary examination after conscientious explanation and disclosure of the purpose of the examination; or
2. The person is unable to determine for himself or herself whether examination is necessary; and
(b)1. Without care or treatment, the person is likely to suffer from neglect or refuse to care for himself or herself; such neglect or refusal poses a real and present threat of substantial harm to his or her well-being; and it is not apparent that such harm may be avoided through the help of willing family members or friends or the provision of other services; or
2. There is a substantial likelihood that without care or treatment the person will cause serious bodily harm to himself or herself or others in the near future, as evidenced by recent behavior.
(2) INVOLUNTARY EXAMINATION.—
(a) An involuntary examination may be initiated by any one of the following means:
1. A court may enter an ex parte order stating that a person appears to meet the criteria for involuntary examination, giving the findings on which that conclusion is based. The ex parte order for involuntary examination must be based on sworn testimony, written or oral. If other less restrictive means are not available, such as voluntary appearance for outpatient evaluation, a law enforcement officer, or other designated agent of the court, shall take the person into custody and deliver him or her to the nearest receiving facility for involuntary examination.

It states 'Law Enforcement Officer, or other designated agent of the court.'  That's the part where I wish there was actually a 'designated agent of the court' who responded to these calls, instead of law enforcement.  But, alas, that is not currently the case.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes. GD posters by the name of Mackinaw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops today....lol.

Is any profession losing respect faster?

Wow
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, I did not say that. I said that in this instance, someone answering the door and saying "nobody dying here, officers" would have headed the whole thing off at the pass. Which makes your scenario of cops breaking down the door, guns ablaze and shooting anything that moves a strawman argument. This wasn't a no knock warrant, nor are cops required to enter and investigate further if someone answers the door and says "nope, nothing like that happening here."

View Quote

Nobody was at the house. Did you read the article?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

(1) CRITERIA.—A person may be taken to a receiving facility for involuntary examination if there is reason to believe that the person has a mental illness and because of his or her mental illness:
(a)1. The person has refused voluntary examination after conscientious explanation and disclosure of the purpose of the examination; or
2. The person is unable to determine for himself or herself whether examination is necessary; and
(b)1. Without care or treatment, the person is likely to suffer from neglect or refuse to care for himself or herself; such neglect or refusal poses a real and present threat of substantial harm to his or her well-being; and it is not apparent that such harm may be avoided through the help of willing family members or friends or the provision of other services; or
2. There is a substantial likelihood that without care or treatment the person will cause serious bodily harm to himself or herself or others in the near future, as evidenced by recent behavior.
(a) An involuntary examination may be initiated by any one of the following means:
1. A court may enter an ex parte order stating that a person appears to meet the criteria for involuntary examination, giving the findings on which that conclusion is based. The ex parte order for involuntary examination must be based on sworn testimony, written or oral. If other less restrictive means are not available, such as voluntary appearance for outpatient evaluation, a law enforcement officer, or other designated agent of the court, shall take the person into custody and deliver him or her to the nearest receiving facility for involuntary examination.

It states 'Law Enforcement Officer, or other designated agent of the court.'  That's the part where I wish there was actually a 'designated agent of the court' who responded to these calls, instead of law enforcement.  But, alas, that is not currently the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love to not respond to them, but the law in my state hasn't found a better person to deal with a crazy person than the cops.  I'm all for not showing up--I think people should have the right to off themselves, but as of right now, the cops HAVE TO show up.  And if they believe there is a person inside a house that may be hurt, or trying to kill themselves they HAVE TO go in.  It's not their choice.

I underlined the relevant word for you, there.

It says MAY. Not SHALL. It also requires a court order.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It says MAY. Not SHALL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says MAY. Not SHALL.

Thank the Lord, I never have to do a Baker act again!

In all honesty, I will ask my legal adviser at the office why we must Baker Act people when they meet criteria, and I'll post up the response here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It says MAY. Not SHALL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says MAY. Not SHALL.

you're really clueless.  What's your occupation?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says MAY. Not SHALL.

I'm clueless?

Is English your first language? Do you understand the difference between MAY and SHALL?

There's also nothing in that statute that actually answers my question, which was "what legal authority requires police to respond to such a call." That statute simply permits somebody to be involuntarily committed if the requisite factors are alleged under oath.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says MAY. Not SHALL.

He's a lawyer, and like some GD denizens they love to parrot the various court rulings that LE isn't required to respond to all calls
Of course the real world intrudes
Due diligence required that officers enter and check the identified address the call originated from
Just put him on ignore like I did and your GD experience will be much more enjoyable
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops today....lol.

I noticed you've stopped being a troll lately....did you get spanked?  

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and that was totally not what that comment was addressing. It was directed at the guy's comment about "what if they had shot your family member!!?!??" To which I responded that if someone had been home to answer the door, the whole incident wouldn't have happened, ergo nobody would have been shot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Hmm...

"...and had recontacted the woman, who she said she did not need help and disconnected, according to the report.

The landlord was contacted and said the woman deputies were seeking no longer lives there."

I know in our city that if you dial 911 and hang up they will call back and send a car if no response is received.  That did not happen in this case.  

How much later was the landlord contacted?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm clueless?

Is English your first language? Do you understand the difference between MAY and SHALL?

View Quote

Ok, you're right.  Next time I am at work and someones tells me they want to kill themselves and give a specific means, I am going to let it slide, because it only says "may."

Yeah, you're clueless.  What's your job?  Instead of trying to act like you know how to do someone else's
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's a lawyer, and like some GD denizens they love to parrot the various court rulings that LE isn't required to respond to all calls
Due diligence required that officers enter and check the identified address the call originated from
Just put him on ignore like I did and your GD experience will be much more enjoyable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says MAY. Not SHALL.

I'm still waiting for you to explain the lawsuit that you claim would ensue if the police failed to respond, or responded "inadequately," to an actual suicide call.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ok, you're right.  Next time I am at work and someones tells me they want to kill themselves and give a specific means, I am going to let it slide, because it only says "may."

Yeah, you're clueless.  What's your job?  Instead of trying to act like you know how to do someone else's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm clueless?

I'm sorry that you are unable to understand the simplest and most common statutory language on the planet. Life for you, let alone being a cop, must be a daily struggle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're still required to respond and make contact. They may or may not then choose to take the person into custody for psychiatric examination by a licensed professional. The statute addressed the second sentence.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They're still required to respond and make contact. They may or may not then choose to take the person into custody for psychiatric examination by a licensed professional. The statute addressed the second sentence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why. Tell me what requires them to respond and what happens if they don't. Be specific.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Spanked? Nope. I just found it a bit tiring making fun of people who don't know what they are talking about. It gets exhausting after a while.

When did you pick up trolling or have you always been this way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops today....lol.

I noticed you've stopped being a troll lately....did you get spanked?  

Spanked? Nope. I just found it a bit tiring making fun of people who don't know what they are talking about. It gets exhausting after a while.

When did you pick up trolling or have you always been this way?

lol...you got spanked.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why. Tell me what requires them to respond and what happens if they don't. Be specific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Policy, fired.

Next?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Won't a dog respond (withdrawal) from OC? It seems to me to me a fairly common occurrence for police to be confronted with injured animals and whatnot, so I don't understand why a -- what do call them snares? loop rods? -- wouldn't be a standard piece of squad car issue. OC and one of those snare things and they wouldn't have to shoot someone's pet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Cops were doing their job, trying to save a life. They were working with bad info. Stuff happens.
View Quote

Cops are under no obligation to protect anyone except themselves.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Policy, fired.

Next?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Policy, fired.

Next?

That would require an individual cop to respond, and/or the dispatcher to send somebody. The worst possible penalty being "you're fired."

The agency CHOOSES to do that. They are voluntarily giving up their legal discretion to respond, or not.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
..... I don't understand why a -- what do call them snares? loop rods? -- wouldn't be a standard piece of squad car issue.
View Quote

LOL, we rarely had a usable spare tire or jack in the car.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Maybe the cop who told me that was a little derpy too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure how a suicidal person is a public threat.

From what I've heard, police are trained to regard suicide as "murder turned inward". I guess anything to justify pulling out the big toys and going in hard, right?

Wow. you are just all KINDS of derp....

Maybe the cop who told me that was a little derpy too.

Yes. I've been a cop for years and never heard that "turned inward" crap
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I never understood how a person threatening to kill themselves in a locked hose is a “Public threat”.  There is zero threat to the public.  All the LOEs need to do is secure the perimeter and let Darwin take care of the situation.

But, then I've never understood the LEOs shooting someone repeatedly to stop them from committing Suicide.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
..... I don't understand why a -- what do call them snares? loop rods? -- wouldn't be a standard piece of squad car issue.

From what you've said before, you were lucky to have 4 serviceable tires, period.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#32]
RIP Zeus.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That would require an individual cop to respond, and/or the dispatcher to send somebody. The worst possible penalty being "you're fired."

The agency CHOOSES to do that. They are voluntarily giving up their legal discretion to respond, or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Policy, fired.

Next?

So?

You asked, I answered. Next?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
so I don't understand why a -- what do call them snares? loop rods? -- wouldn't be a standard piece of squad car issue. OC and one of those snare things and they wouldn't have to shoot someone's pet.
View Quote

Wonderful, another piece of gear you want us all to be issued
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Policy, fired.

Next?

So?

So police are "required" to respond only because they tell themselves they're required to respond. It's a circular argument. A self-licking ice cream cone.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is within the scope of a law enforcement officer's duty to protect the safety of the community as a whole as well as that of individuals when a known threat is identified. At a minimum, they could be sanctioned or fired for dereliction of duty if they don't respond, nevermind what individual departmental policies are violated. Furthermore, the officer could be subject to civil suits for wrongful death if he or she chose to do nothing.

No, there may not be legal penalties, but it is within the scope of their duties, and if they refuse to do their job, they will likely end up fired.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sorry for the dog, I really am, it sucks, but poor these cops are fucked all the way around, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So police are "required" to respond only because they tell themselves they're required to respond. It's a circular argument. A self-licking ice cream cone.
View Quote

Poor guy.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Policy, fired.

Next?

So?

I doubt there's a legal statute that requires police to respond to anything. However, that is what they are hired to do and why those departments exist. That's sort of the point, Avi.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Policy, fired.

Next?

So?

You're seriously an attorney?  And people pay you?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're seriously a cop? And they actually tested you in basic literacy?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a PD aren't you?

I know the difference of may and shall. If a mom calls me and tells me her adult some is threatening suicide and I go talk to him and he denies it all, I "may" pink slip him but in that case I am not required too. It's worded like that for a reason.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You're a PD aren't you?

I know the difference of may and shall. If a mom calls me and tells me her adult some is threatening suicide and I go talk to him and he denies it all, I "may" pink slip him but in that case I am not required too. It's worded like that for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a PD aren't you?

Why are you required to go there in the first place? That was the question. Not "what can I do once I get there." It's because your agency has a policy, not because there is an actual law that requires you to respond - right?

Again, basic literacy. Reading comprehension. Don't eat the yellow snow.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah?    
And just how exactly would you suggest the responding officers search the house for the suicidal woman with an aggressive dog running loose.?  
What about any paramedics that may be called in?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What If they had the right house?  Killing the dog wouldn't have solved a thing.

Yeah?    
And just how exactly would you suggest the responding officers search the house for the suicidal woman with an aggressive dog running loose.?  
What about any paramedics that may be called in?

Perhaps step #1 would be to make sure there actually IS an suicidal woman?  

Or, even a woman, at all?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You're a PD aren't you?

View Quote

I'd think you wouldn't have him involuntarily examined because he didn't meet the requirements under the law to do so in that case.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why are you required to go there in the first place? That was the question. Not "what can I do once I get there." It's because your agency has a policy, not because there is an actual law that requires you to respond - right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a PD aren't you?

Oh Jesus Christ using that logic you believe there's a ton of calls cops should go to then right?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how a suicidal person is a public threat.
View Quote

Exactly!!!! Let me guess, if they did find this woman with a gun or knife attempting to kill herself what were they going to do, beat her to the punch? "Ma'am, put the knife down", "I'm going to kill myself!!!" POWPOWPOWPOW No need we'll do that for ya'.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so I don't understand why a -- what do call them snares? loop rods? -- wouldn't be a standard piece of squad car issue. OC and one of those snare things and they wouldn't have to shoot someone's pet.

I readily admit I know little about the life of an LEO. Was just asking what seemed obvious. I see the State Police pull over in NoVa and yank a shovel out of the trunk to clear a dead animal from the road is my only exposure to a similar animal handling action. Maybe they are going above and beyond the call.

As to OC contaminating an area, foam or gel takes care of that doesn't it? Maybe not.

I do realize that this can't be a fun situation for the officers either. Although there was one or two cases in DC where an officer went out of his way to shoot a dog and the public howled (heh) about it. The one I remember was in the Adams Morgan area in DC.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

From what you've said before, you were lucky to have 4 serviceable tires, period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A tire with 6 plugs is perfectly serviceable.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh Jesus Christ using that logic you believe there's a ton of calls cops should go to then right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm simply pointing out that police don't HAVE to respond to any particular call, or any particular kind of call. Several people in this thread have stated that "they have to respond." If they do, it's not because the law or some other external authority makes them do so, it's because they just decided to do it that way.

In fact, some departments do have policies that provide for no response for things like car break-ins. No response, just take a report over the phone.

Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top