Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So in other words, there's no actual police work here. You do it because it's entertaining. Thanks for reinforcing my point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you need to go tell them that in person?  And yes, "allowed" is the right word. Police departments decided to make policies requiring themselves to respond to every call, no matter how stupid. Nobody made them do it, there is no legal obligation to respond.

Why is a person attempting suicide a "police" issue? Society decided decades ago that it's no longer a crime, it's a mental health issue.

Sweet.  I'll use that argument next time.  "Dispatch, show me in service.  It's not a police matter, it's a mental health issue."

I bet it works out well for me.

It's a problem that's above your pay grade. That doesn't mean it's not a problem.

Seriously, you guys are like bratty children. Nothing is good enough, you bitch no matter what. You bitch about all the stupid, drama-filled bullshit calls that you "have to respond to," and here I am telling you that it's stupid that you have to respond to them, your policy shouldn't require it, etc. ... and you give me crap about that. Make up your minds.

It will be a cold day in hell before I consider dbrowne1 the authority on what I do or don't have to do

And I'm not complaining.  Most of us aren't, really.  Those calls are usually the most entertaining, and we usually don't have to write reports afterwards.

So in other words, there's no actual police work here. You do it because it's entertaining. Thanks for reinforcing my point.

I do it so I don't get fired from my $140K a year job that gives me a 100% pension at 50 years old
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah, "you want a cop, you get a cop" is a stupid and wasteful policy. There are lots of reasons. That's the point. If the policy was, "we only send people to calls that actually require police," then nobody would get fired for "not doing their jobs."

"Society" hasn't decided anything of the sort. No legislature or court has created these requirements - police departments came up with them all on their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most PDs and SOs, outside of really big ones, have a "you want a cop [deputy], you get a cop [deputy]".  Even if it is just a cop showing up to tell you they're not going to do anything.  There are a lot of reasons for this.  One is that they don't trust their people to decide if a response is necessary or not.  Nobody at the line staff level cares if there is a legal obligation to respond.  They don't want to get fired for not doing their jobs (responding).

Society has decided that police are the first to respond to acute mental health issues.  Firemen won't even respond to a 16 year old that 'OD''d on NyQuil until the police go in first to confirm that it is "safe".  This is pretty universal across the US.

Yeah, "you want a cop, you get a cop" is a stupid and wasteful policy. There are lots of reasons. That's the point. If the policy was, "we only send people to calls that actually require police," then nobody would get fired for "not doing their jobs."

"Society" hasn't decided anything of the sort. No legislature or court has created these requirements - police departments came up with them all on their own.

Believe it or not, a lot of these dumb civil calls need a cop to determine if it is in fact, dumb and civil.  I've been sent to many a stupid calls that ends up being something criminal.  That is how you figure it out, by having someone actually go and investigate.

Came up with it on our own? We aren't the ones calling 911 asking for help.  Society is.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I do it so I don't get fired from my $140K a year job that gives me a 100% pension at 50 years old
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a problem that's above your pay grade. That doesn't mean it's not a problem.

Seriously, you guys are like bratty children. Nothing is good enough, you bitch no matter what. You bitch about all the stupid, drama-filled bullshit calls that you "have to respond to," and here I am telling you that it's stupid that you have to respond to them, your policy shouldn't require it, etc. ... and you give me crap about that. Make up your minds.

It will be a cold day in hell before I consider dbrowne1 the authority on what I do or don't have to do

And I'm not complaining.  Most of us aren't, really.  Those calls are usually the most entertaining, and we usually don't have to write reports afterwards.

How the heck did Y'all get 100%?

I know about the 90% @ 30 years....
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Believe it or not, a lot of these dumb civil calls need a cop to determine if it is in fact, dumb and civil.  I've been sent to many a stupid calls that ends up being something criminal.  That is how you figure it out, by having someone actually go and investigate.

Came up with it on our own? We aren't the ones calling 911 asking for help.  Society is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most PDs and SOs, outside of really big ones, have a "you want a cop [deputy], you get a cop [deputy]".  Even if it is just a cop showing up to tell you they're not going to do anything.  There are a lot of reasons for this.  One is that they don't trust their people to decide if a response is necessary or not.  Nobody at the line staff level cares if there is a legal obligation to respond.  They don't want to get fired for not doing their jobs (responding).

Society has decided that police are the first to respond to acute mental health issues.  Firemen won't even respond to a 16 year old that 'OD''d on NyQuil until the police go in first to confirm that it is "safe".  This is pretty universal across the US.

You mean the Society, that's calling 911, because McDonald's got their order wrong?

Or calling 911 because they got lost, or to see if their cell phone is working OK?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't pay into the retirement account anymore (about $500 a check) so with that extra $500 you make more retired than you did working (if you work 33 years you get 99%, break even without the retirement payment is less than 33 years)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You mean the Society, that's calling 911, because McDonald's got their order wrong?  

Or calling 911 because they got lost, or to see if their cell phone is working OK?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, those folks. They vote, too. Trump 2016!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
First of all, "traced the call" doesn't mean cross referencing the number to the owners previous address.  So that's some bullshit info right there.  Our dispatch "traces" calls all the time from cellphones and 99.9% of the time it's a bad location or bullshit.  The deputies obviously didn't hear any noises from the house.  Based on the limited info in the story, IMO, department acted beyond the scope of their responsibilities.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First of all, "traced the call" doesn't mean cross referencing the number to the owners previous address.  So that's some bullshit info right there.  Our dispatch "traces" calls all the time from cellphones and 99.9% of the time it's a bad location or bullshit.  The deputies obviously didn't hear any noises from the house.  Based on the limited info in the story, IMO, department acted beyond the scope of their responsibilities.

View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can completely respect that, at least.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No kidding. It's amazing how cops will refuse to be told what to do by "people who don't understand our job," but them come running whenever some drooling retard calls because he lost his keys.

In any event ... these morons call the police, but it's the police that indulge them by actually responding to such nonsense. For the 87th time in this thread alone, the law does not require them to respond.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+87...........  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how a suicidal person is a public threat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

^This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This

Suicidal can quickly (and does sometimes) become "homicidal"....duh.

Blame all the dipshits that call dispatch everyday claiming they are going to kill themselves when all they really want is attention. It happens numerous times per shift.....shit gets old. I find myself hoping they pull the trigger before I get there..at least I wont be wasting my time.

Fact is, if its policy to respond, you respond...unless you want to get fired.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What does that have to do with me? I wasn't there and I never took anyone's firearm before.

View Quote

Before?  

Before what?  

Before when?  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL. No kidding. It's amazing how cops will refuse to be told what to do by "people who don't understand our job," but them come running whenever some drooling retard calls because he lost his keys.

In any event ... these morons call the police, but it's the police that indulge them by actually responding to such nonsense. For the 87th time in this thread alone, the law does not require them to respond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really? I guess you've never heard of an emergency detention (or other likely named state statutes) a LAW requiring Police and Medical personnel to intervene and detain a person that is deemed to be a threat to themselves or others (suicidal/homicidal)

Guess not Einstein.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Oh really? I guess you've never heard of an emergency detention (or other likely named state statutes) a LAW requiring Police and Medical personnel to intervene and detain a person that is deemed to be a threat to themselves or others (suicidal/homicidal)

Guess not Einstein.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess not Einstein.

You have to show how the Law is Written, Einstein, does it say Shall or May Intervene?

Do You understand the Difference, between, Shall & May?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Guess not Einstein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess not Einstein.

You forgot to include an example so I am glad to help:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/nyregion/officer-adrian-schoolcraft-forcibly-hospitalized-got-no-apology-just-a-bill.html?_r=0
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Guess not Einstein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess not Einstein.

Post the law that a) requires you to show up in the first place and b) requires you to act when you do show up. Unless there is already a court order, of course.

I'm waiting, Learned Hand.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#20]
RCSO for the win
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You'd be surprised how often LEOs respond to non-criminal and non-traffic related incidents.   When I was a LEO, easily 70+% of the calls were BS like my 7 year old doesn't want to take a bath.
View Quote

I am not sure what amazes me more:

1.  that someone called with this type of call
2.  that police actually responded
3.  that the caller was not issued a warning and or arrested for misuse of the 911 system
4.  that tax payers actually fund this shit

seems like we have a co-dependent situation..cops depend on criminals and idiots for job security...criminals and idiots rely on cops for a shoulder to lean on.  

either way the responsible hard working tax payers pays for this idiocracy

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Stupid person calls 911 for stupid reason
Officer shows up and tells them there is nothing they can do aka "civil issue"
Officer leaves
Stupid person calls city hall to complain
Politician thinks "we should do something" and panders to stupid person (don't want to lose a vote)
Politician bitches at Chief
Chief and command staff writes more stupid policy
Officers follow stupid policy to keep their jobs
View Quote

Sounds about right. And yet, people still give me all kinds of grief in this thread for calling these policies stupid.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You have to show how the Law is Written, Einstein, does it say Shall or May Intervene?    Do You understand the Difference, between, Shall & May?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess not Einstein.
You have to show how the Law is Written, Einstein, does it say Shall or May Intervene?    Do You understand the Difference, between, Shall & May?

I don't have to show you anything, I can read...maybe you can too. Plus none of us feel like being sued in civil court by the family for not detaining the suicidal person, but then again you don't give a shit about that. All you want to do is shit on cops. Do us all a favor, stop calling, we'll stop showing up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Officer leaves
Politician thinks "we should do something" and panders to stupid person (don't want to lose a vote)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'd be surprised how often LEOs respond to non-criminal and non-traffic related incidents.   When I was a LEO, easily 70+% of the calls were BS like my 7 year old doesn't want to take a bath.

3.  that the caller was not issued a warning and or arrested for misuse of the 911 system

seems like we have a co-dependent situation..cops depend on criminals and idiots for job security...criminals and idiots rely on cops for a shoulder to lean on.  

Officer leaves

No dude, its just the polease's fault. They should ignore policy and laws...and end up fired. Because my sovereign handbook told me they could.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't have to show you anything, I can read...maybe you can too. Plus none of us feel like being sued in civil court by the family for not detaining the suicidal person, but then again you don't give a shit about that. All you want to do is shit on cops. Do us all a favor, stop calling, we'll stop showing up.
View Quote

So in other words, you have nothing to back up your bullshit claims. No code section, no case, nothing at all that says you MUST respond to such a call and you MUST detain a person.

Why don't you also explain to me how I'd plead a lawsuit against a cop or his employer for mere failure to respond, or for exercising discretion and deciding not to detain somebody. Be specific. Tell me what legal duty was owed to that person, how it was breached, and how that breach caused harm. Tell me how I'd overcome a plea/motion on immunity. Cite applicable authorities. I'm just a dumbass with a doctorate in law and years of litigation experience, I need the EMT of the legal world to tell me how it works.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess not Einstein.

How did they Pierce Your QI, Einstein?  

Oh My a 15'er trying to upscale the 13'ers.....

Never mind, just carry on............    

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So in other words, you have nothing to back up your bullshit claims. No code section, no case, nothing at all that says you MUST respond to such a call and you MUST detain a person.

Why don't you also explain to me how I'd plead a lawsuit against a cop or his employer for mere failure to respond, or for exercising discretion and deciding not to detain somebody. Be specific. Tell me what legal duty was owed to that person, how it was breached, and how that breach caused harm. Tell me how I'd overcome a plea/motion on immunity. Cite applicable authorities. I'm just a dumbass with a doctorate in law and years of litigation experience, I need the EMT of the legal world to tell me how it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got who that is, now, He's Stanley Wojciehowicz...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sounds about right. And yet, people still give me all kinds of grief in this thread for calling these policies stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officer leaves

It doesn't matter if its stupid or not.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

...and Tasers, Night Sticks, ASP Batons?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are dogs immune to mace?

The dog is using his deadly force tools on you. Should you use a taser or spray on a guy that breaks into your house or pulls a gun on you?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:46:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Before never.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that have to do with me? I wasn't there and I never took anyone's firearm before.

Before?  

Before what?  

Before when?  

Before never.

I fucking KNEW IT!

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The dog is using his deadly force tools on you. Should you use a taser or spray on a guy that breaks into your house or pulls a gun on you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are dogs immune to mace?

Dogs biting people is deadly force?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:14:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are dogs immune to mace?

Wish I was told this when I became a paperboy years ago.  How I survived without PTSD I'll never know.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:22:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wish I was told this when I became a paperboy years ago.  How I survived without PTSD I'll never know.
View Quote

I don't understand how police K9s can be used if dog bites are deadly force.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously you hate America.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 140K a year is also well beyond most LEOs.....
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Officer leaves
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officer leaves

The "my 7 year old is out of control" calls to 911 stem from society making parents afraid to parent, and kids being told in school that if their parents use any level of force on them, they can hotline their parents
Which they do in fact do, and then when the hotline to the state gets down to the local level and I respond, I get to tell the kids that regardless of what the nice CPS lady told them in class, state law still allows their parents to use physical force to enforce discipline in the home.

There's an environmental  correlation here that's un-PC to bring up, but I will anyways
The hot-lined calls of this sort almost always come from run down trailers or the newer section 8 palaces we're building for the welfare crowd.
These kids will grow up to be the adults who scream back and forth across the trailer park at each other and then want to use the legal system to get back at their adversary in a tit for tat retribution that ties up the courts with meaningless BS violation and misdemeanor level complaints
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit . Ive been at my current department 13 years and make 33k .
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a Lt in My City.............

It was Your choice to Work as Cheap as You do..........
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wages are a lot less than that and there are many agencies who pay even less than we do
The gain in salary is offset by a higher cost of living to some degree
I'll skip living in a major metro area where that sort of salary is the norm
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're 40 a week & 52 weeks a Year..........

Then they're paying you $15.87 an hour...........

Most jobs above minimum wage pay more than that, here...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

lol, cops handle a TON of events that aren't exactly "public threats"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suicide seems pretty fucking personal to me...and decidedly not public... much less a public threat.

and this is the problem.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

My wages are a lot less than that and there are many agencies who pay even less than we do

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah the cost to buy a House is a Bitch.........

But outside that, the price of most big ticket items is the same for You as Me......

Cars, TV's, Guns, etc......... Cost less as the % of income, for those of us in higher paying areas...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you're 40 a week & 52 weeks a Year..........   Then they're paying you $15.87 an hour...........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're 40 a week & 52 weeks a Year..........   Then they're paying you $15.87 an hour...........

The small villages around here only recently broke above that pay scale for their officers
There are many many small agencies who pay very little compared to the metro areas
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

and this is the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suicide seems pretty fucking personal to me...and decidedly not public... much less a public threat.

and this is the problem.

So whats the answer?
Society expects certain problems to be handled by gov't
Most people don't schedule their personal emergencies into a M-F 9-5 timeframe
There are only so many gov't representatives who work 24/7 who can respond to address the problem being called about
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yeah the cost to buy a House is a Bitch.........  

But outside that, the price of most big ticket items is the same for You as Me......

Cars, TV's, Guns, etc......... Cost less as the % of income, for those of us in higher paying areas...
View Quote

Insurance is easily double Downstate what it is here
Fuel in major metro areas is significantly higher than here
Sin taxes are higher in urban areas
Quality of life, unless you're into the urban experience, is poorer than in my area
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think people are confusing law and policy.

The problem is that if you don't follow policy you get fired. Its like saying no to your commanding officer who gives you a direct order.

As long as the policy/order is not illegal, immoral, or unethical you follow it if you want that job.

If you want to keep the job, you probably have to follow the illegal / immoral / unethical orders too. However, if you are a decent person, you shouldn't want a job that makes you do illegal / immoral / unethical things.

I have never been given an illegal, immoral, or unethical order by any of my commanding officers.

I am sure those who took part in the Katrina firearms confiscation felt the same way.

We see the same excuses from department to department for the same actions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did 16 years and made 31K.

Fuck LE pay in the South!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

From what I've heard, police are trained to regard suicide as "murder turned inward". I guess anything to justify pulling out the big toys and going in hard, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've heard, police are trained to regard suicide as "murder turned inward". I guess anything to justify pulling out the big toys and going in hard, right?

What a  load of bullshit...  
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top