Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, violating someone's rights, would make Your job easier?  

OK, that sounds reasonable...........  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep reading the thread. I addressed those already.

Blood draws w/o a warrant or consent are a violation of the 4th Amendment IMO, and just waiting for SCOTUS to smack them down.

Definitely, pure laziness by the states, there is no reason they can not have judges available 24/7 via teleconference to decide if a warrant is required.

Here in StL, we have the 57 easy steps to do an online blood draw search warrant.
If the system is working, I'm told it is approximately 5 minutes faster than typing it up, bringing the copies to the PA, getting his/her approval, taking it to the Judge, getting their approval and signature, taking it to the clerks, then serving said search warrant.

StL County is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, and they are reflexively fighting it.

Yes, but doing it the right way isnt necessarily the easy way.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blood draws w/o a warrant or consent are a violation of the 4th Amendment IMO, and just waiting for SCOTUS to smack them down.

Definitely, pure laziness by the states, there is no reason they can not have judges available 24/7 via teleconference to decide if a warrant is required.

Here in StL, we have the 57 easy steps to do an online blood draw search warrant.

If the system is working, I'm told it is approximately 5 minutes faster than typing it up, bringing the copies to the PA, getting his/her approval, taking it to the Judge, getting their approval and signature, taking it to the clerks, then serving said search warrant.

StL County is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, and they are reflexively fighting it.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Links?
Cites?

Studies?

Again, the criteria are that drugs or alcohol improve cognative ability and reaction time.

I'll wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed the important part of my post.

I made the print larger and colored it red so you wouldnt miss it again. Please re-read the read parts, (Mine and David0511's posts) and then go find me a study showing that either the presence of alcohol or drugs improved anyone's reaction times or cognitive abilities.

I never stated that what applies to alcohol also applies to marijuana.

I know this may be shocking to you, but some people who attend concert night clubs or nightclubs in general will also use drugs instead of or along with alcohol. Therefore as a bartender in a large concert nightclub, I have actually seen people under the influence of alcohol, drugs, and alcohol and drugs combined.

Well, since you brought it up, caffeine, cocaine, and speed will all increase you alertness and decrease your reaction time, in proper doses. And then there are nootropics.

So the "important part" of your post isn't exactly correct.

Links?
Cites?

Studies?

Again, the criteria are that drugs or alcohol improve cognative ability and reaction time.

I'll wait.

Speed is given to Air Force pilots to improve their performance. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123779&page=1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1334411/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

Those will get you started.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is absolutely fucking correct!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My data is anecdotal, but all I know is some kid high on weed texted "YOLO" to his buddies and then failed to negotiate a dog-leg in the road and put his grandma's car sideways into a tree at 70mph on my 35mph street. I've never seen a weed smoker who wasn't "impaired".

This is absolutely fucking correct!!!

But, of course, if you did see a weed smoker who wasn't impaired, you would have no way of knowing, would you?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not a felony criminal history.

ETA- nice try, but I read the entire article.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please list any state that does not prohibit felons from becoming police.

Federal law does not prohibit it for certain.  And in case anyone wants to claim it doesn't happen or is rare:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2467767/posts

Federal law does not govern police officer hiring standards. But, you knew that already.

Can someone with a criminal history obtain a waiver to get POST certification?

Not a felony criminal history.

ETA- nice try, but I read the entire article.

I didn't ask about a felony criminal history.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:02:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Felons were ILLEGALLY hired in Tennessee, contrary to Tennessee State law.

Again, that article exposes sonething that was horribly wrong, and was addressed, but does NOT support JasonB's bullshit claim that felons can be hired as police in any state that does not prohibit it. What state(s) do NOT prohibit felons from becoming police?

Name one and provide a supporting link.
View Quote

Good, we agree!  People with a felony can and have become LEO's in TN.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, but I don't think a warrant should allow it either.   It is making a person testify against their will (imo).

The no refusal weekends have a judge on standby to sign the warrants as needed.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't celebrate just yet.

The "will of the people" is a dangerous thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jury nullification just shows the will of the people, no fucks given, nullify away!

We could only hope for some good jury nullification in some 2nd Amendment cases....

Don't celebrate just yet.

The "will of the people" is a dangerous thing.

it's also how the country got to this point

that said, at this point, I'm good with anything that diminishes the authority of the state

ETA: (applied to domestic policy only)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#9]

From the Tennessee Bar Association:

http://www.tba.org/journal/crime-and-punishment-and-punishment

Tennessee Laws Relating to Employment
Tennessee law outright prohibits an individual previously convicted of a felony from ever working in many occupations. In other instances, Tennessee requires individuals to be licensed to practice certain occupations, and when a license is required in most cases, a felony conviction and even some misdemeanors may serve as a basis to deny an application for such a license or establish grounds to revoke the license of an individual currently licensed. The occupations that either preclude employment for some convictions or have licensing laws that may allow the state to deny employment for criminal convictions in certain occupations include:

Emergency 911 call takers and dispatchers,[5]
Sheriff office employees,[6]
Police officers or special deputies,[7]

Etc...

View Quote

"For some convictions" and "may allow" is not exactly 100%.

Yes they got noticed hiring felons and yes they got embarrassed they got noticed.  Doesn't mean it has stopped.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Federal law does not govern police officer hiring standards. But, you knew that already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal law does not prohibit it for certain.  And in case anyone wants to claim it doesn't happen or is rare:

Federal law grants an exemption for police and military who are felons to possess arms.  Learned that one when police groups were upset that LEO's that liked to abuse their family members did not get their customary exemption with Lautenberg.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Federal law grants an exemption for police and military who are felons to possess arms.  Learned that one when police groups were upset that LEO's that liked to abuse their family members did not get their customary exemption with Lautenberg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have not the first clue what Lautenberg does, do you?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't grant an exemption to police and military which police groups found very upsetting.  They had no problem with it applying to peons.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Speed is given to Air Force pilots to improve their performance. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123779&page=1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed the important part of my post.

I made the print larger and colored it red so you wouldnt miss it again. Please re-read the read parts, (Mine and David0511's posts) and then go find me a study showing that either the presence of alcohol or drugs improved anyone's reaction times or cognitive abilities.

I never stated that what applies to alcohol also applies to marijuana.

I know this may be shocking to you, but some people who attend concert night clubs or nightclubs in general will also use drugs instead of or along with alcohol. Therefore as a bartender in a large concert nightclub, I have actually seen people under the influence of alcohol, drugs, and alcohol and drugs combined.

Well, since you brought it up, caffeine, cocaine, and speed will all increase you alertness and decrease your reaction time, in proper doses. And then there are nootropics.

So the "important part" of your post isn't exactly correct.

Links?
Cites?

Studies?

I'll wait.

Seriously?

First link made hot: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123779&page=1

This a story about the two pilots who mistakenly bombed and killed Canadian ground troops in Afghanistan while on amphetamines. From your linked article:
Dr. Robert DuPont, a former White House drug czar and one of the country's leading drug addiction authorities, says he was stunned to learn about the Air Force's use of amphetamines. "This is speed. This is where we got the phrase, speed kills," he said.

But DuPont's characterization of heavy amphetamine use suggests the "go pill" policy may be playing with fire. He said, "People who get strung out on amphetamines are, are usually crazy. They're paranoid, they stop eating. … Their judgment is impaired and they do very bad things. … They are among the sickest of all drug addicts."

At no point in that article does it ever state that amphetamine actually improves cognitive ability or reaction times. In fact, the article is pretty much anti amphetamine as written.

This is your first supporting link?

Second link made hot: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1334411/

The abstract the link leads directly to actually states several times that cocaine injected into baboons actually REDUCED reaction times. Not once in the abstract is it stated that cocaine injections actually improve reaction times or cognitive abilities in the baboon test subjects.

Second link you provided to disprove your stated position...

Third link made hot: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

2nd paragragh from the link:

There are only a few drugs that are known to improve some aspect of cognition. Many more are in different stages of development.[6] The most commonly used class of drug is stimulants, such as caffeine.[7]

These drugs are purportedly used primarily to treat cognitive or motor function difficulties attributable to disorders such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, and ADHD. Some researchers, however, report more widespread use despite concern for further research. Nevertheless, intense marketing may not correlate with efficacy. While scientific studies support the beneficial effects of some compounds, manufacturer's marketing claims for dietary supplements are usually not formally tested and verified by independent entities.[9]

This the best support you've provided for your position so far:

In 2015, systematic medical reviews and meta-analyses of clinical research in humans established consensus that certain stimulants, only when used at low (therapeutic) concentrations, unambiguously enhance cognition in the general population;[25][27][28][29] in particular, the classes of stimulants that demonstrate cognition-enhancing effects in humans act as direct agonists or indirect agonists of dopamine receptor D1, adrenoceptor A2, or both receptors in the prefrontal cortex.[25][27][29] Relatively high doses of stimulants cause cognitive deficits.[29][30]

And even it points out problems with stimulants.

There is more I could pick apart in your links, but I think I've shown that your own links dont support your position.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I've heard a number of folks that don't believe cannabis is a intoxicant.  I'm pretty certain somebody with "couch lock" is not going to be near as safe a driver as someone that just smoked a camel. Just saying.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
......edited for brevity due to 5 quote restriction.....

Tough break for the deputy when  he  got a 14 year federal sentencet after getting the MO state judge only gave him a suspended sentence.  Still should be able to get back to policing if he settles in a state that does not prohibit felons from becoming police.

I did when responding to JasonB's ridiculous assertation that a felon could become a police officer if he settled in a state that didnt prohibit felons from becoming police. You jumped in to defend his position when he was unable to do so, and are now defending something no one asked about. Why the strawman? Are you also unable to defend JasonB's bullshit claim?

What state(s) do(es) NOT prohibit felons from becoming police?

Regarding criminal history and LE...

Are there any crimes that a person could be convicted of that should NOT prevent them from becoming police officers later in life?

Hypothetical scenario:

A 19 year old Marine home from from a combat deployment is allowed to purchase and consume beer while on base. The Marine comes home on leave, buys beer, and is later arrested and convicted of Minor in Possession of Alcohol because was drinking a six pack of beer with a 21 year old.

The same Marine is drinking the alcohol in a County Park which closed for the night ,(unbeknownst to him), while he was inside it, drinking with the 21 year old female.  The Marine in this hypothetical scenario is now guilty of both Minor in Possession of Alcohol, and also of Criminal Trespass for being in a closed park after hours, committing a crime of drinking under age.

Several years later, with no additional criminal charges or convictions, should this Marine be allowed to obtain a waiver and become a police officer?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I fully support the right of a person to alter their brain chemistry using any drug they so choose, as long as doing so doesn't put anyone else at risk.

Driving stoned is the same as driving drunk.

You are impaired, and it's stupid.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, that article exposes sonething that was horribly wrong, and was addressed, but does NOT support JasonB's bullshit claim that felons can be hired as police in any state that does not prohibit it. What state(s) do NOT prohibit felons from becoming police?

No we do not agree.

As I stated above,(which you so politely quoted),

They still cannot, but they have in the past, even though they were prohibited from doing so.

it was prohibited when it happened. The fact that it was prohibited, and it was done anyway, did NOT make it so that Felons were no longer prohibited by Tennessee from becoming police.

For example : It is illegal to murder someone. If I murder someone, I have broken the law, and doing so does not suddenly make murder legal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is not an SFST.
View Quote

I can get to "X" before being stumped.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Until they cross a double yellow line and destroy your life or your loved ones....

This must be a joke.
View Quote

Sarah Bradys troll account?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, but if jurors believe that driving fucked up should not be unlawful, then you can present whatever evidence you want and not get a conviction.  Juries in cities are traditionally pro-criminal anyway.  Zero fucks given.  Their car is still in the impound and DMV will still take their license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't BAC levels and by extension THC levels only a piece of the total picture and that someone can be convicted of driving under the influence if they still act impaired regardless the exact level?

Yes, but if jurors believe that driving fucked up should not be unlawful, then you can present whatever evidence you want and not get a conviction.  Juries in cities are traditionally pro-criminal anyway.  Zero fucks given.  Their car is still in the impound and DMV will still take their license.

If you get acquitted of DUI here, you get your car back and your license.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHY are you bothering???  That one is a lost cause, it doesnt matter how many facts you confront him with he Knows what He Knows.  Point, Laugh, and move on
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It doesn't grant an exemption to police and military which police groups found very upsetting.  They had no problem with it applying to peons.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So first you say it does grant an exemption, now you say it does not. You STILL don't know what Lautenberg does.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

WHY are you bothering???  That one is a lost cause, it doesn' matter how many facts you confront him with he Knows what He Knows.  Point, Laugh, and move on
View Quote

Oh I know, he's just so amazingly pathetic.  Sort of like the leper at a carnival side show.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#24]

I didn't even have to type that since it was already quoted by John.  Damn glad he is  retired and no longer writing up questionable tales under the color of law.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I didn't even have to type that since it was already quoted by John.  Damn glad he is  retired and no longer writing up questionable tales under the color of law.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
here

Colorado prosecutors are getting frustrated at jurors for daring to exercise rationality instead of blindly following the will of the State. A growing number of juries are acquitting people of driving under the influence of cannabis, even when tests show they are over the state’s legal blood-THC limit.

Since the recreational use of cannabis became legal, Colorado authorities are scrambling to apply rules and regulations to this new reality. They have established a 5 ng/ml blood-THC limit for operation of a motor vehicle, which seems to be arbitrary as there is no preponderance of data to support a specific number.

Indeed, the assumption that driving on weed poses the same risks as driving on alcohol would be a fallacy. In September, we reported on a novel study that found virtually no driving impairment under the influence of cannabis, while alcohol caused complete impairment.

People in Colorado seem to realize that applying a number to a person’s blood-THC level is not an ultimate determination of their motor abilities.
View Quote
View Quote

OMG.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree, but I don't think a warrant should allow it either.   It is making a person testify against their will (imo).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your argument, but disagree with regard to blood draws with a warrant.

Just for my clarification, where do you stand on:

Driving while Impaired - should it be illegal per se, only in the event death/serious injury, or not illegal at all?

If you feel that driving impaired should be illegal per se, how should impairment be proven if a driver refuses to perform SFST's?

If you feel that Driving While Impaired should only be illegal in the event of serious injury/death, how should impairment be proven if tge driver refuses to perform SFST's?

I'm not asking out of malice or hostility, genuinely trying to get an understanding on how you feel impairment should be proven or if you even feel that Driving While Impaired should be illegal in the first place.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes they got noticed hiring felons and yes they got embarrassed they got noticed.  Doesn't mean it has stopped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tennessee law outright prohibits an individual previously convicted of a felony from ever working in many occupations. In other instances, Tennessee requires individuals to be licensed to practice certain occupations, and when a license is required in most cases, a felony conviction and even some misdemeanors may serve as a basis to deny an application for such a license or establish grounds to revoke the license of an individual currently licensed. The occupations that either preclude employment for some convictions or have licensing laws that may allow the state to deny employment for criminal convictions in certain occupations include:

Etc...

Again, WHAT STATE(S) DO NOT PROHIBIT FELONS FROM BECOMING POLICE????

You made the bullshit statement, the burden is incumbant upon you to prove.

Prove it or shut up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I wish every drug was legal (and Im an LEO). However, with that said, I wish that implied consent laws were covered for blood draws. Therefor if I can articulate that you're impaired (SFST's, a crash, other pc) you have to provide a blood sample.

I don't care what people do in their homes, but if you get fucked up and decide to drive, you're endangering everyone on the road or sidewalk or home (have you seen a DUI plow through a house?...I have). So if you're found to be impaired, in my utopian "all drugs are legal to use world"....you go to prison. No plea deals, no probation, you get mandatory prison time.

But hey, that's rational thinking and common sense....
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What law?
Please cite.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Prove it or shut up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Etc...

Prove it or shut up.

He isn't going to do either.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Serious question:

Do you HAVE to read the instructions on the back of a shampoo bottle, or do you know what it's for and how to use it?

I'm beginning to wonder because you havent actually answered a single question put to you in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nothing to do with being a inexperienced driver or texting while driving. Nothing at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My data is anecdotal, but all I know is some kid high on weed texted "YOLO" to his buddies and then failed to negotiate a dog-leg in the road and put his grandma's car sideways into a tree at 70mph on my 35mph street.  I've never seen a weed smoker who wasn't "impaired".

Nothing to do with being a inexperienced driver or texting while driving. Nothing at all.

that combined with being high on weed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Serious question:

Do you HAVE to read the instructions on the back of a shampoo bottle, or do you know what it's for and how to use it?

I'm beginning to wonder because you havent actually answered a single question put to you in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question:

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I can remember back in the late 1980s, anti-abortion activists were outside the courthouse advocating jury nullification.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I wish every drug was legal (and Im an LEO). However, with that said, I wish that implied consent laws were covered for blood draws. Therefor if I can articulate that you're impaired (SFST's, a crash, other pc) you have to provide a blood sample.

I don't care what people do in their homes, but if you get fucked up and decide to drive, you're endangering everyone on the road or sidewalk or home (have you seen a DUI plow through a house?...I have). So if you're found to be impaired, in my utopian "all drugs are legal to use world"....you go to prison. No plea deals, no probation, you get mandatory prison time.

But hey, that's rational thinking and common sense....
View Quote
I haven't looked at the implied consent law here, in many years....

The old version, just had a penalty of Losing your DL for XX years.

It said you had to provide a Breath, Blood, or Urine sample on demand.

At that time, the choice of sample provided, was the Drivers.

I didn't mean they could take a sample by force.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I did when responding to JasonB's ridiculous assertation that a felon could become a police officer if he settled in a state that didnt prohibit felons from becoming police. You jumped in to defend his position when he was unable to do so, and are now defending something no one asked about. Why the strawman? Are you also unable to defend JasonB's bullshit claim?
 I don't even read his posts so I can assure you I'm not defending him.  Felons being police officers in TN has been a bit of a joke on here for a while now.

Are there any crimes that a person could be convicted of that should NOT prevent them from becoming police officers later in life?

Hypothetical scenario:

A 19 year old Marine home from from a combat deployment is allowed to purchase and consume beer while on base. The Marine comes home on leave, buys beer, and is later arrested and convicted of Minor in Possession of Alcohol because was drinking a six pack of beer with a 21 year old.

The same Marine is drinking the alcohol in a County Park which closed for the night ,(unbeknownst to him), while he was inside it, drinking with the 21 year old female.  The Marine in this hypothetical scenario is now guilty of both Minor in Possession of Alcohol, and also of Criminal Trespass for being in a closed park after hours, committing a crime of drinking under age.

Several years later, with no additional criminal charges or convictions, should this Marine be allowed to obtain a waiver and become a police officer?
View Quote

In that hypothetical scenario, I'd be worried about the police that gave the 19 year old Marine a criminal record for that.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No we do not agree.

They still cannot, but they have in the past, even though they were prohibited from doing so.

it was prohibited when it happened. The fact that it was prohibited, and it was done anyway, did NOT make it so that Felons were no longer prohibited by Tennessee from becoming police.

For example : It is illegal to murder someone. If I murder someone, I have broken the law, and doing so does not suddenly make murder legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No we do not agree.

Murder?  Good lord man why the strawman?

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What law?
Please cite.
View Quote

The Gun Control Act of 1968 exempts mil/LE from it's prohibition on felons possessing firearms.

Found out about that when police groups were complaining they weren't getting their customary exemption when Lautenberg came up.  They had no problems with the law providing new punishments for private citizens retroactively, they just wanted police to be able to keep abusing their families without affecting their LE status.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Etc...

Prove it or shut up.

Once again, felons were hired and only canned when the media got involved.  No exemptions for police to violate traffic laws for fun, but they tend to get a free pass on those and other laws as well.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#42]
The whole driving while high thing needs to be studied further.    Thousands of people or more drive under the influence of prescription amphetamines or opiates every day and are probably safe to do so.  You once in blue moon hear about someone crashing their car who was legitimately on opiates, but almost never on amphetamines.   A lot of people take opiates for pain management or amphetamines for ADHD.   I know a couple of good people who used prescribed marijuana during cancer treatments and had no issues with their driving.  There is a big difference IMO with people who do dumb shit recreationally and those that are have a legitimate illness or disorder and use the prescribed amount for treatment.  

This is coming from someone who does not use drugs and HATES drunk drivers.  I got hit by a drunk driver a while ago and have called 911 or the state police on lots of them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Didn't SCOTUS already rule on blood withdraws?

(We have to get a warrant for everything now anyway)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To an extent they did.

Missouri v. McNeely
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In that hypothetical scenario, I'd be worried about the police that gave the 19 year old Marine a criminal record for that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even read his posts so I can assure you I'm not defending him.  Felons being police officers in TN has been a bit of a joke on here for a while now.

Hypothetical scenario:

My apologies for stating you were defending him. It did appear that way since you replying directly to my question toward him.

In the years I've been here and you and I have been sparring, I'd like to think you've got an idea of who I am, (assumption on part, I know), and an idea of how I view certain things...

I dont like bad cops, and I have no problem calling them out when I see them, or see actions by cops that I feel are wrong and or criminal. I've publicly stated so here several times, and I like to think I'm fairly consistent in my views, but that's what I like to think from my side of the keyboard. I dont know if it looks like that from your side of the keyboard or not...

Felons should NOT ever be cops. I dont care if it's a non violent felony or not.

Felons should NOT be cops.

I've seen stories where city officials have advocated lowering the hiring standards to allow for certain felons to become cops to fill man power shortages. That's flat out, the wrong concept.

If the only applicants you can attract all have felony records, then you need to figure out why that is, and change it.

Hiring a bad cop is worse for EVERYONE than not having a cop.

The officials in Tennessee who knowingly hired felons to work as cops...I'd hit them with all applicable punishments, and hold them all responsible for their felon's illegal actions.

If there is no teeth, (punishment/consequences) written into the law prohibiting felons from being police, then I'd go after them in civil court. I doubt you'd find a single judge who was unwilling to hold the officials responsible for their felon's actions. Both criminally and civilly.

And I'd make everything absolutely public for two reasons:

Attempt to restore the public's faith in their police by burning out the corruption involved.

Make such a public spectacle about all of this that no one ever thinks about doing this again, anywhere in the US.

Having said all of that, those officials in Tennessee violated the law.

Tennessee did not allow convicted felons to work as police officers,  those officials did, in violation of the law.

Their violation of the law did not suddenly make it legal for felons to work as police officers.

Which is what JasonB said,  and what I've been calling him out on.

JasonB's statement is wrong, and he knows it, which is why he's been hiding from it like a scared little child who peed in his underwear and is ashamed.

ETA - regarding the Marine in my hypothetical scenario....

Could you please answer the question, should the Marine with the criminal history of Minor in Possession of Alcohol and Criminal Trespass be allowed to seek a waiver for his previous crimes in order to become a police officer?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No we do not agree.

It was just an extreme example using the same logic you were applying above...

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Gun Control Act of 1968 exempts mil/LE from it's prohibition on felons possessing firearms.

Found out about that when police groups were complaining they weren't getting their customary exemption when Lautenberg came up.  They had no problems with the law providing new punishments for private citizens retroactively, they just wanted police to be able to keep abusing their families without affecting their LE status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What law?
Please cite.

Cite (Mirriam Webster)

Full Definition of cite
2:  to quote by way of example, authority, or proof <cites several noteworthy authors>

In order to support my statement of what a Cite is, I quoted, and linked you to the definition I was using.

Please do the same with your statement. Find the relevant section of the GCA of 1968 (ought to be simple since we have the internet and that is a pretty major piece of legislation) and Cite (then provide a link) to the section that supports your statement.

Then go do the same with your bullshit claim about State(s) not prohibiting felons from being police.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Professional courtesy is as good as an exemption in a law.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#48]
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/925

18 U.S. Code § 925 - Exceptions: Relief from disabilities

(a)
(1) The provisions of this chapter, except for sections 922(d)(9) and 922(g)(9) and provisions relating to firearms subject to the prohibitions of section 922(p), shall not apply with respect to the transportation, shipment, receipt, possession, or importation of any firearm or ammunition imported for, sold or shipped to, or issued for the use of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof.

http://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-1117-restrictions-possession-firearms-individuals-convicted

"One of the provisions of this new statute removed the exemption that 18 U.S.C. § 925(a)(1) provided to police and military. Thus, as of the effective date, any member of the military or any police officer who has a qualifying misdemeanor conviction is no longer able to possess a firearm, even while on duty. We now have the anomalous situation that 18 U.S.C. § 925(a)(1) still exempts felony convictions for these two groups. Thus if a police officer is convicted of murdering his/her spouse or has a protection order placed against them, they may, under federal law, still be able to possess a service revolver while on duty, whereas if they are convicted of a qualifying misdemeanor they are prohibited from possessing any firearm or ammunition at any time. Currently pending before Congress are at least two bills that would substantially modify the impact of the amendment to this section."
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Once again, felons were hired and only canned when the media got involved.  No exemptions for police to violate traffic laws for fun, but they tend to get a free pass on those and other laws as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Etc...

Prove it or shut up.

As I stated previously, officials who violated the law did not suddenly change the law, they violated it.

Cite and support your bullshit statement about State(s) not prohibiting felons from being police, or admit you made it up.

Regarding cops violating traffic laws for fun?

You basing that off of the documentaries "Super Bad" or "Super Troopers"?

I've issued citations to cops before, and I've arrested cops before.

I've also giving warnings to non cops, and not arrested people who I could have before.

Pretty sure you'll find the same of all the cops on this thread and many of the cops on this board.

And giving warnings to cops and not arresting non cops happens far far more often than stopping cops for traffic violations and not citing them for them.

So who exactly are we favoring? Who exactly is getting more special treatment?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

To an extent they did.

Missouri v. McNeely
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To an extent they did.

Missouri v. McNeely

That's the case I was thinking of. I knew that it had been ruled on at the Federal Appellate level, just couldnt remember if SCOTUS had ruled on it yet.

Thank you.

For the record, I agree with that decision...not that my agreement matters in the slightest....SCOTUS decided, and they've got more pull than me.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top