Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2015 11:47:23 PM EDT
It's my BIL's BIL.

He lives in the Woodlands, near Houston. Makes a load of money as a lawyer for a big oil company. BIL said he all of a sudden became an "outdoorsman" and wanted to go deer hunting for the first time.

I told my BIL that I'd take him today.

He showed up, wearing a full line of the latest hunting gear L.L. Bean boots. lol.

Backpack - check

Sitka head to toe - check

Nice, new Tikka T3 with wood stock in .270

Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 scope

Swarovski binoculars with harness

Hat, masks, and gloves.

oranges vest

In his backpack:

repelling rope

carabiners

latex gloves

an assortment of knives lol

doe piss

orange flag

3 boxes of Sako .270 ammo

optics cleaning kit

LED flashlight

some spray used to locate blood in the dark

chalk bottle - for finding wind direction - lol

plastic rattling horns

and an assortment of grunts and other calls

Now...this is east Texas....where you have about 10ft of visibility because of the thick brush and trees. 99% of that stuff is not even needed. Hell, I just show up in jeans, work boots, a hoodie or long sleeve shirt and a gun.

The only thing he didn't bring, that he should have, was skeeter dope or a Thermocell. Mosquitos are almost as thick as the woods here.

So after I laugh in my head, I ask him if the gun is sighted in. He looks confused, thinking it's already sighted in because the guy at the store laser bore sighted it.

I told him that shit is a joke and not accurate, so off we go to the back yard to shoot a target. I make a few shots and get it dialed in and hand it to him to verify. He shoots, hits dead center, followed by "owwwww!!"

I though he got a dose of scope eye. Turns out he's just fine. He said the recoil is very "painfull". Said the guy at the place he bought the gun from a couple days ago said the .270 doesn't kick that much. lol, wimp.

We go out to the place he's going to be hunting, starts to don all his orange gear. I told him that it's really not all that necessary. He replies "but I don't want other hunters to shoot me, and I want to be seen if I get lost, and I heard deer can't see orange"

I tell him "Umm...you're going to be hunting nearly 700 acres to yourself, and the only way you'd get lost is if you climb from your ladder stand to walk around the entire property that you are unfamiliar with, and I would strongly not advise that, but whatever you prefer. Besides, you'll be covering up that $1000 worth of camo"

I drop him off, actually had to teach him how to sit in the ladder stand , and told him I'd be back at dark.

I go sit at a random well location to surf arfcom, occasionally walk out to the pipeline, maybe shoot my rifle at a coon, coyote, pig, bobcat, deer, or whatever seems good to kill. End up shooting a coon at 500 yards. Dark comes and I get the 4 wheeler to pick him up.

I wait what seems 10 minutes for him to climb down a 15' ladder. He gets near the ATV and I smell a horrendous stench from his body.

The newb put doe piss on himself to cover his scent....what the fucking hell..

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no deer hunter, but hahahahaha
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, that is funny.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a great old school video that illustrates possible outcomes from this..............
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell the truth Op.
You put him in the worst stand on the property didnt you...
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope that you gave him some positive reinforcement. People aren't born knowing all the ins and outs of deer hunting.  He might turn into a good hunter and friend if you give him some guidance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I would have made him ride in the back of the truck all the way home. Who fucking does that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope that you gave him some positive reinforcement. People aren't born knowing all the ins and outs of deer hunting.  He might turn into a good hunter and friend if you give him some guidance.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, it's easier to make fun of them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. If he is that loaded, when he starts unloading nice gear, you can make out nice. Like when he dumps the .270 for a .243.

Woodlands is really nice minus the nasty humidity. My dad is back there with my uncle right now. Grandma just went. Grandad is slipping away fast.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#11]
What no bacon and eggs in that back back?  I've been known to make breakfast in the blind before light.  I also like to keep hot water on a kettle when its real cold since I have one of the only nice blinds on the property and it helps to have hot chocolate for the kiddies when family members take that late morning walk when its cold.  Plus I get the benefit of them pushing deer.  You can knock the smells all you want but I've shot many a deer with a trail of Cigar smoke wafting from the blind.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been breaking in two new hunters over the last year or so. My wife and a coworker. It's a rewarding endeavor.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Tell us more about popping a coon at 500 yards
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Take me next time. I will bring a 2moa mosin, mora knife, and 50ft of paracord

ETA never hunted before
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm more of a minimalist myself, but hey, gotta salute the mans enthusiasm.

Hope you can hang in there long enough to show him the ropes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#18]
He has good taste in rifles and optics.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#19]
So did he get to kill anything
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Funny..

But this..

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty easy when you're making north of $500k and walk into a shop and say "what's the best deer gun you got?"
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

He saw some pigs, but didn't shoot any
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

A sense of smell
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Pretty easy when you're making north of $500k and walk into a shop and say "what's the best deer gun you got?"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then at least someone told him to buy a reasonable  cartridge for a new shooter. Usually they end up with a .338 RUM (says the guy who would love to have a .340 Wby)

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pfft. Blasting hogs is tons of fun.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Good on you for taking a new hunter out.  He’ll learn, one day.  I too thought coon @500 was the most interesting point of the story.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Good on you for taking a new hunter out.  He’ll learn, one day.  I too thought coon @500 was the most interesting point of the story.
View Quote

Had to make my downtime worth while

I brought both...just because

The coon got a dose of 220gr motrin, prescribed by Remington, MD. Didn't bother getting it. Too flooded. If it were a deer, I'd happily go swimming

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/Guns/2015-11-20%2016.43.05_zpsnzijsfmd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/2015-11-20%2016.43.05_zpsnzijsfmd.jpg</a>

The coon got a dose of 220gr motrin, prescribed by Remington, MD. Didn't bother getting it. Too flooded. If it were a deer, I'd happily go swimming

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/Guns/2015-11-20%2016.43.05_zpsnzijsfmd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/2015-11-20%2016.43.05_zpsnzijsfmd.jpg</a>

I’d party with you.  I also enjoy shooting the masked corn bandits.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#29]
speaking of coons

Earlier this year:

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
speaking of coons

Earlier this year:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1785461_.html

View Quote

i rost

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems he was nothing more than a taxi, not a lot of mentorship taking place from the details shared.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Are you sure he wanted to hunt deer and not have the deer hunt him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been known to haul a lot of kit with me.

Winchester 30-30 lever action or PSE Brute X
Lone Wolf Hang on stand or hunting blind
cheap hunting attire
cheap boots
cheap hat

doe piss(sometimes, don't really think it draws them in for miles but might bring them out into a shooting lane and get them to stop for a second)
grunt call if its pre-rut/rut/post-rut
rattle bag(sometimes)
bleat can(sometimes)
tree hooks(when in tree)
hoist rope
Hand/toe warmers
knife

That's all in one backpack

In my second backpack

Loaf of bread
thing of bologna
water/soda
Mr. Heater little buddy blind heater(when in blind in the cold)
Cigarettes - dip - e-cig
Coleman portable propane burner(blind)
metal coffee pot(blind)
can of soup(blind)
Roll of tp

Nothing top end by any means but definitely more than most guys carry out.  Most of it's off brand shit.  This is assuming I'm planning on sitting from 1hr before shooting time till 30m after.  My dad always gives me shit for carrying a grunt caller and a bleat can but they aren't that hard to stuff away and they've come in handy a few times.

edit:  Locating blood in the dark?  Unless it's raining that's the easiest time to spot blood already.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I've been known to haul a lot of kit with me.

Winchester 30-30 lever action or PSE Brute X

Lone Wolf Hang on stand or hunting blind

cheap hunting attire

cheap boots

cheap hat
doe piss(sometimes, don't really think it draws them in for miles but might bring them out into a shooting lane and get them to stop for a second)

grunt call if its pre-rut/rut/post-rut

rattle bag(sometimes)

bleat can(sometimes)

tree hooks(when in tree)

hoist rope

Hand/toe warmers

knife

That's all in one backpack

In my second backpack

Loaf of bread

thing of bologna

water/soda

Mr. Heater little buddy blind heater(when in blind in the cold)

Cigarettes - dip - e-cig

Coleman portable propane burner(blind)

metal coffee pot(blind)

can of soup(blind)

Roll of tp

Nothing top end by any means but definitely more than most guys carry out.  Most of it's off brand shit.  This is assuming I'm planning on sitting from 1hr before shooting time till 30m after.  My dad always gives me shit for carrying a grunt caller and a bleat can but they aren't that hard to stuff away and they've come in handy a few times.

edit:  Locating blood in the dark?  Unless it's raining that's the easiest time to spot blood already.
View Quote

I usually pee near my stand the night before I hunt it. I have a lot of rubs and scrapes near one of my stands.

Usually deer will come see who the fuck is marking their area. I've had great results from the game cam testing this theory

But lately my stand has been too flooded to reach and/or I've just been too busy.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Texas 500 is 50 everywhere else.  Everything's bigger in Texas.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quote from OP

"Now...this is east Texas....where you have about 10ft of visibility because of the thick brush and trees."

OP can see a coon at 500 yrds through east Texas brush? must be sorcery....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:50:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quote from OP
"Now...this is east Texas....where you have about 10ft of visibility because of the thick brush and trees."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quote from OP

I wasn't in the stand. I was parked on an oil well pad, where there is a long pipeline near it.

In the woods, it can get pretty thick.

Don't have pics near the stand, but here's some walking down the old lease road near the bayou where it's kind of open-ish

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:18:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm just razzin ya OP Nice looking area to be hunting
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:15:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, do you think there is any hope for the office boy?

Sounds like he made a sincere effort to be a "outdoorsman".   Put a lot of planning into it and bought everything the salesman mentioned.  Still wondering about the carabiners.   As to the heavy recoil, he can find or order 110 or 120 grain bullets that won't kick his ass as bad as the elk bullets he bought.  Might suggest he put in some range time to get comfortable with his rifle.

Good thing he has a BIL that will help him get tuned in............after you get tru rolling on the floor laughing your ass off.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:23:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Deer god bring me back to Texas
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#41]
How a person is introduced to a new activity often determines
whether or not they'll continue.

OP, how do you think you did in introducing your guest to deer hunting?

Did you mentor him or did you embarrass him?

Either answer reflects on the type of person you are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top