BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maybe you're better after more sleep, but you sound completely undateable to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm running on around 4 hours sleep, so if I sound like an angry asshole I apologize ahead of time.

I'm 32. Never been married. No kids. I've been told I have a good sense of humor, up until two weeks ago I had two jobs (worked 60-70 hours a week between them). I have my own apartment, and my own car. I was somewhat close to marriage once, but fate decided that wasn't going to happen.

I have absolutely zero luck dating. I've since deleted my profiles from the two dating things I've used (Tinder and OKC). Prior to the "quickmatch" thing that has become so common (you know, back when you had to send and actually read messages) my rate of return was somewhere in the nature of 2-5% (I'm not joking), and of those 2-5% I literally would get maybe 2-3 dates out of them and them they would ghost. Once the quickmatch (read: Tinder) thing started, I messed with it, and had a higher rate of initial return, maybe 10-15%, but the percentage of those that would go out was  lower than the previous people, so I stopped that as well.

There were a couple of things I noticed that were constants in the profiles I would look at: All claimed to want nice guys, all claimed to want to settle down, all claimed to be down to Earth, and most had kids. The overwhelming majority of them wouldn't send replies to any messages, no matter how they were worded, or what pictures I'd use in my profile. I'd see that they had looked at my profile after I sent them the message, then they'd obviously see shit in my profile that they didn't like and *poof* they're gone. I had at least one ask me what my education level was, and I told her I had an associate's degree (in reality I'm about a year away from a Bachelor's) and then she ghosted on me, but not before telling me that she "didn't think it would work out in the long run because I didn't have a Bachelor's." Jesus H Christ people, what happened to trying to go on a journey and adventure? When did we start living life based on a manual?

As time goes on, I find myself becoming increasingly bitter and frustrated with the whole dating thing. Most of my friends are married and/or have kids. I have people tell me all the time that "it will happen when it's time" or that I'm a "nice guy," and all of the people that say that shit are married (and a few have been married multiple times). Every time I hear someone say that shit I want to slap them square in the face.

I have no fucking clue how any of it works. All I know is that I don't have fun trying anymore. It's a game that's rigged, with rules that constantly change, that were written by big fat liars who either aren't honest with themselves or aren't honest with other people. The only way to win is not to play, which is ironic because when everyone does that, everyone loses.

Maybe you're better after more sleep, but you sound completely undateable to me.

He needs a Snickers and a nap.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You're still fucked up. Be the man you want to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have stopped looking and started working on myself. Get my shit together, be the man that they all want and I will have the attention of the few good ones.

You're still fucked up. Be the man you want to be.

The man the right woman wants and the man you want to be are the same man. If there's a conflict, that's how you know it's not a match.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm 25 and will admit that I've never really had much luck with dating. Part of the problem is definitely the absurd criteria on the part of the other half... and the fat ones...

That being said I chalk it up to fairly short, fit but not terribly attractive, gun-loving, video gamers not being in particularly high demand... Meh. [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img"

Tappered-pin merely did a great job of "creatively interpreting" my words. Better yet, simply read the post directly above yours.

You still can't deny that some women have really, unreasonably high expectations, just like some men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm well aware of how to treat women, thanks. The point is that a lot of them expect an early 2000's Brat Pitt or whoever the current obsession is.
Christ, make some more assumptions...

hey, you're the one who's single.. I've been with my wife for over 15 years and have 3 children.  so you might try closing your mouth and taking some notes, because you're doing it wrong..

I'm 25 and will admit that I've never really had much luck with dating. Part of the problem is definitely the absurd criteria on the part of the other half... and the fat ones...

That being said I chalk it up to fairly short, fit but not terribly attractive, gun-loving, video gamers not being in particularly high demand... Meh. [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img"

Tappered-pin merely did a great job of "creatively interpreting" my words. Better yet, simply read the post directly above yours.

You still can't deny that some women have really, unreasonably high expectations, just like some men.

Your lack of success with women has nothing to do being short, average in apperarance, and lacking social skills and everything to do with the fact that you lead off your analysis of the dating scene with a whine about women having "absurd" selection criteria.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I won't deny that. As I said before: I've never had much luck dating. I dated a woman for 3 years, and honestly it was the best 3 years of my life. Cancer took her from me, and now I have more in common with people in their 50's than people my own age.

I think I have this unfortunate habit of telling the truth in a game where everyone gets ahead by deceiving one another, which I'm sure makes me come off as an asshole. I know where my deficiencies lay, but I am also honest with myself about them, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of people I've tried to date.

Now that I think about it I guess the theories of "assholes always get the girls" are wrong.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm kind of baffled at how many men are having trouble getting quality women but are also on Tinder. Why would a relationship minded guy be on Tinder? Why would a relationship minded girl accept a guy like that?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The women of arfcom come to take over a dating thread? Never been done befo'.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I won't deny that. As I said before: I've never had much luck dating. I dated a woman for 3 years, and honestly it was the best 3 years of my life. Cancer took her from me, and now I have more in common with people in their 50's than people my own age.

I think I have this unfortunate habit of telling the truth in a game where everyone gets ahead by deceiving one another, which I'm sure makes me come off as an asshole. I know where my deficiencies lay, but I am also honest with myself about them, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of people I've tried to date.

Now that I think about it I guess the theories of "assholes always get the girls" are wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can be honest without being a total dick and a blamer and fault finder.

Sounds like counseling might be helpful. Trying to date while you're still hurting is just going to damage you more.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a free App as well as Match

I've met 4 girls and dated each one for a prolonged period of time.

Being in a city helps, having a decent job and $ to facilitate a nice date helps. . . talking a lot and smiling helps.

There aren't any silver bullets when it comes to dating but having your shit together is a must. At the very least I have my pick of the girls who don't have their shit together, and that's enough to pass the time

Someday I hope I meet the right one, but it's not exactly something you can make happen.

FYI: I'm 31 and I've been dating girls from 24-29
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your lack of success with women has nothing to do being short, average in apperarance, and lacking social skills and everything to do with the fact that you lead off your analysis of the dating scene with a whine about women having "absurd" selection criteria.  

View Quote

The more of your posts I read, the smarter I think you are.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. A woman on Tinder can literally have her pick from the 1-3% of super attractive men who have a lot going for them. Your average guy is nothing more then a chump on there. An average woman can swipe 1000 times and will match with EVERY single male. An average guy can swipe 1000 times and will get bots/people running scams and average looking females. You need to look like a freaking model or millionaire to really be successful.

I put a few pics of me around he city I live in and would get maybe 1 match per day. I put up pics of me traveling/doing things in other states and my matches more then tripled.  Same person, same looks, same profile... Just the impression that I travel a lot/do expensive things (Snowboarding, scuba diving, mountain climbing, etc.) increased the matches. Also noticed when I'm traveling out of state and they know your just passing through you have a massive increase of matches.

Females on social media can afford to be super picky because they get hundreds of messages/matches a week. Imagine that. Imagine if you had several hundred women messaging you a week wanting to date/fuck/hang out. Why not pick the top 1-3%
. Thats why most women never message back on Tinder an stuff.... They get so many messages it takes forever to dig through them all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't imagine being that young and single today. With Tinder, online dating, and the hookup culture I would be kayaking down a Class 5 rapids of vagina.

Not necessarily. A woman on Tinder can literally have her pick from the 1-3% of super attractive men who have a lot going for them. Your average guy is nothing more then a chump on there. An average woman can swipe 1000 times and will match with EVERY single male. An average guy can swipe 1000 times and will get bots/people running scams and average looking females. You need to look like a freaking model or millionaire to really be successful.

I put a few pics of me around he city I live in and would get maybe 1 match per day. I put up pics of me traveling/doing things in other states and my matches more then tripled.  Same person, same looks, same profile... Just the impression that I travel a lot/do expensive things (Snowboarding, scuba diving, mountain climbing, etc.) increased the matches. Also noticed when I'm traveling out of state and they know your just passing through you have a massive increase of matches.

Females on social media can afford to be super picky because they get hundreds of messages/matches a week. Imagine that. Imagine if you had several hundred women messaging you a week wanting to date/fuck/hang out. Why not pick the top 1-3%
. Thats why most women never message back on Tinder an stuff.... They get so many messages it takes forever to dig through them all.

I am neither a model nor a millionaire, and Tinder has been plenty fruitful for me.

Have you ever talked to women about their experiences on Tinder?  Because none of the women I know echo your sentiments.  In fact, they usually say things like "omg I hate it, lot of swiping and nobody talks, and when guys actually talk, they don't ever want to meet up, they just want to be pen pals forever."

Not only do women fairly often message back on Tinder, but I get plenty of girls messaging me first.  Again, you might not be in a good geography for meeting women, or maybe you need to work on your profile to look more interesting.  Does it say something like "I like to have fun and stay active", like every other "original" guy out there has?  You touched on having pictures where you are going out and doing things and that has a positive effect. Yeah, because it makes you look interesting.  Your profile should have something written that is interesting and witty too.

Women do not own the playing field on this thing nearly as much as you think they do, because there are a lot of crappy and uninteresting guys out there.  Just don't be one.

Quoted:
I'm kind of baffled at how many men are having trouble getting quality women but are also on Tinder. Why would a relationship minded guy be on Tinder? Why would a relationship minded girl accept a guy like that?

Tinder is a fine way of meeting women if you're selective. Mostly because there are so damn many on there that a few decent ones have to show up. Law of large numbers.

Just do a lot of swiping left.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Three or four ARFettes who post regularly in LBAW threads, 400,000 men on ARFCOM, and y'all whine about being abused. Be funny, if it weren't so pitiful.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are really, REALLY bad at "observing."

Here is an exact copy/paste of what I typed that you quoted:

"I'm 25 and will admit that I've never really had much luck with dating. Part of the problem is definitely the absurd criteria on the part of the other half... and the fat ones...

That being said I chalk it up to fairly short, fit but not terribly attractive, gun-loving, video gamers not being in particularly high demand... Meh. "

I literally said that it goes both ways and that in my case it is probably me and I'm fine with that. I did not say " it's always the woman's fault and never mine.. "... Not even close. The exact opposite, in fact.

Wanna try again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm well aware of how to treat women, thanks. The point is that a lot of them expect an early 2000's Brat Pitt or whoever the current obsession is.
Christ, make some more assumptions...

hey, you're the one who's single.. I've been with my wife for over 15 years and have 3 children.  so you might try closing your mouth and taking some notes, because you're doing it wrong..

I'd say that you're fishing outside your slot limit for starters..

You're assuming that I am searching or desperate. I am neither, thank you very much.

Any other assumptions?

you're the one posting about how it's always the woman's fault and never yours.. (in a thread on dating woes).
they're not assumptions, they're observations..

You are really, REALLY bad at "observing."

Here is an exact copy/paste of what I typed that you quoted:

"I'm 25 and will admit that I've never really had much luck with dating. Part of the problem is definitely the absurd criteria on the part of the other half... and the fat ones...

That being said I chalk it up to fairly short, fit but not terribly attractive, gun-loving, video gamers not being in particularly high demand... Meh. "

I literally said that it goes both ways and that in my case it is probably me and I'm fine with that. I did not say " it's always the woman's fault and never mine.. "... Not even close. The exact opposite, in fact.

Wanna try again?

My unreasonably high expectation is that a 25 year old not be a gamer. That might be part of your problem with attracting non-fatties right there.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am neither a model nor a millionaire, and Tinder has been plenty fruitful for me.

Have you ever talked to women about their experiences on Tinder?  Because none of the women I know echo your sentiments.  In fact, they usually say things like "omg I hate it, lot of swiping and nobody talks, and when guys actually talk, they don't ever want to meet up, they just want to be pen pals forever."

Not only do women fairly often message back on Tinder, but I get plenty of girls messaging me first.  Again, you might not be in a good geography for meeting women, or maybe you need to work on your profile to look more interesting.  Does it say something like "I like to have fun and stay active", like every other "original" guy out there has?  You touched on having pictures where you are going out and doing things and that has a positive effect. Yeah, because it makes you look interesting.  Your profile should have something written that is interesting and witty too.

Women do not own the playing field on this thing nearly as much as you think they do, because there are a lot of crappy and uninteresting guys out there.  Just don't be one.

Tinder is a fine way of meeting women if you're selective. Mostly because there are so damn many on there that a few decent ones have to show up. Law of large numbers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't imagine being that young and single today. With Tinder, online dating, and the hookup culture I would be kayaking down a Class 5 rapids of vagina.

Quoted:

I think we have a fundamentally different definition of the word "decent". I just can't see how a nice girl or boy would be on there in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have any skin in the game, but I feel like it shouldn't be as hard as people say it is.

I have a hard time thinking if I jumped back in tomorrow I couldn't get a date just by interacting with people out in public, I do see a lot of the public because of work, so there is an edge I guess. I definitely feel more confident talking to the opposite sex than I ever did as guy in my teens or early 20's.

Be in decent shape, make decent money, don't put off a weirdo vibe, talk with people instead of at them, and don't frequent areas with bad types of women, unless you are just looking to get laid, then forget the last one.

I find most types of women attractive, much more than I did when I was college age. As long as they aren't super fat (and by super fat I mean anything that falls into that gross category....you know the kind) are drug free, and can carry on some sort of conversation without coming off as a moron they would fit the criteria for me.

I might be broken though because I generally say what's on my mind, but think before I talk, I have zero issues talking to anyone and carrying on conversation if it interests me, and for some reason I attract conversation. At least once a week a random person at any random location will ask me a question and I end up talking to them for 10-15 minutes, and this happens without the company shirts or truck, even if I am out with my family.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Three or four ARFettes, 400,000 men, and y'all whine about being abused. Be funny, if it weren't so pitiful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three or four ARFettes, 400,000 men, and y'all whine about being abused. Be funny, if it weren't so pitiful.

Maybe he prefers his "dating scene" to be female free, lol.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think we have a fundamentally different definition of the word "decent". I just can't see how a nice girl or boy would be on there in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because that's where everyone is.

We can all agree that some bar on main street is like, totally the worst, but if everyone perceives that's the place to be to meet people, that's still where people are going to go. I've met some great people on Tinder. It hasn't romantically run the distance every time, but it's a broad demographic of people. Early on I met some crappy people on Tinder, but you live and learn. Just stay away from nurses, and bartenders, and such, err towards people who are into things like college football and say they like their job, and don't be in a huge rush to meet up with everyone you talk to.

If the profile says something defiant about "if you can't deal with that", skip it. You don't want a pain in the ass.

If it says 420 friendly, skip it. I don't give two shits about if someone tokes up once in a while, but if that's all they can think of to describe themselves, I'm not going to have time for them.

If it has a Marilyn Monroe quote, skip it. Insane and self-obsessed people suck.

If it has a "I'm not gonna fuck you" (or anything about sex at all), skip it. We don't need to negotiate this, and I don't need to read self-affirmations.

If they can't put up a picture with a smiling face, skip it.

If all their pictures are them laying in bed taking selfies, skip it. These are slutty people with nothing to do.

Get a phone call or two in. You'll get a feeling whether it's worth the time to meet.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tinder is what you make out of it, just because you matched doesn't mean you have to be fuck buddies.

I live in a town of 3000, in a 100 mile area there is maybe 50,000 people. Tinder is pretty much the only way to find a woman in such a low population dense area.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.  Superglue, convent, etc.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Three or four ARFettes who post regularly in LBAW threads, 400,000 men on ARFCOM, and y'all whine about being abused. Be funny, if it weren't so pitiful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I hear anytime I read one of your posts in these sort of threads

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's a fine line to walk. A woman that is too bold and direct often ends up characterized as a bitch. We are taught from an early age to be somewhat indirect in communication and avoid confrontation. It can be hard to buck up and say "you're not the one for me," and much easier to just let things fade away without giving the person a definitive no. Not saying it's right, just calling it like I see it.
View Quote

I keep seeing this, and I have to wonder if people are using different definitions of "bold" or "direct".  I personally disagree that being bold or direct has to end up being characterized as "bitchy".  Years ago I saw Playmoreminds be plenty direct with all sorts of people, often calling out misogyny, yet I never thought she was being "bitchy" at all.

I have to wonder if what really happens is bitchy people claiming that they're just "bold" or "direct" to deflect blame.

An old saying comes to mind:  "If every once in a while someone calls you a jerk, it may be just them.  When most people call you a jerk, it probably really is you."
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/_nL7gol2KPc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/_nL7gol2KPc

Some here enjoy my posts, others do not.  Apparently, you are among the latter.  I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't have any skin in the game, but I feel like it shouldn't be as hard as people say it is.

I have a hard time thinking if I jumped back in tomorrow I couldn't get a date just by interacting with people out in public, I do see a lot of the public because of work, so there is an edge I guess. I definitely feel more confident talking to the opposite sex than I ever did as guy in my teens or early 20's.

Be in decent shape, make decent money, don't put off a weirdo vibe, talk with people instead of at them, and don't frequent areas with bad types of women, unless you are just looking to get laid, then forget the last one.

I find most types of women attractive, much more than I did when I was college age. As long as they aren't super fat (and by super fat I mean anything that falls into that gross category....you know the kind) are drug free, and can carry on some sort of conversation without coming off as a moron they would fit the criteria for me.

I might be broken though because I generally say what's on my mind, but think before I talk, I have zero issues talking to anyone and carrying on conversation if it interests me, and for some reason I attract conversation. At least once a week a random person at any random location will ask me a question and I end up talking to them for 10-15 minutes, and this happens without the company shirts or truck, even if I am out with my family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think in a lot of cases, we're seeing misanthropes trying to fake an interest in other humans in order to land a woman. It's like trying to pick up tennis as a hobby and do well in competition. You're not going to go from nothing to winning. You can't expect to only set foot on a court when it's for a prize and do well. You have to train and keep yourself in shape and genuinely love playing and sports to do well when it counts.

In other words, you have to love people and love to interact with them and understand and nurture them in general. Other men, old women, children, not just the cute female people you're trying to acquire as sexual partners. If you show up without training, only the worst women will fall for you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sorry to break this to you bud , but these guys are lamenting the pool of available women in their late 20's early 30's,

This is multiplied 100 times by the time you hit 40s ( I was divorced when I was 39 ) , I was dating in my late 30's and yes it was easy to run though hood rats but trying to find a woman worthy of a long term relationship was a serious challenge!

I lucked out big time and found one thank god (35 no kids , career, total sweet heart) , and we met totally randomly , no tinder involved.....

I'd recommend forgot the dating sites, women pretty much put the age limit on searching at 40-41, just get out there and try and meet them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a soon to be divorced guy of 55 years of age, you people are depressing me  

Sorry to break this to you bud , but these guys are lamenting the pool of available women in their late 20's early 30's,

This is multiplied 100 times by the time you hit 40s ( I was divorced when I was 39 ) , I was dating in my late 30's and yes it was easy to run though hood rats but trying to find a woman worthy of a long term relationship was a serious challenge!

I lucked out big time and found one thank god (35 no kids , career, total sweet heart) , and we met totally randomly , no tinder involved.....

I'd recommend forgot the dating sites, women pretty much put the age limit on searching at 40-41, just get out there and try and meet them.

I understand what the thread is about, I was just making a statement partly true and part in a joking manner. I know it's hard for any age
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You should have all of the qualities that you are looking for in a mate. If you don't you may miss out. She may be your perfect match but you may not be hers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have stopped looking and started working on myself. Get my shit together, be the man that they all want and I will have the attention of the few good ones.

You should have all of the qualities that you are looking for in a mate. If you don't you may miss out. She may be your perfect match but you may not be hers.

Some good words of wisdom right there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My unreasonably high expectation is that a 25 year old not be a gamer. That might be part of your problem with attracting non-fatties right there.

View Quote

If you're serious, in my opinion this is a huge part of the problem with dating today. You disqualified an entire group of people based on a hobby.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you're serious, in my opinion this is a huge part of the problem with dating today. You disqualified an entire group of people based on a hobby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

I'm not really a gamer anymore because I fell behind the tech curve, but a great portion of adults, including married ones with kids, play games like Fallout.  Especially in the more professional crowds.

Of my peers, and not all are in tech fields, they're mostly up-to-date on recent video games, and have thriving social and romantic lives. This might be a generational gap some people here can't understand.  This is the generation that grew up with video games.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took her use of *gamer* to mean a particular subset.

I love video games and want to be with someone who enjoys them as well.  That said, there's an entire sect of *gamers* who have zero social skills, questionable hygiene, low Vitamin D levels and a tenuous grasp on reality.  You know the ones I (and presumably she) am/are talking about.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If gaming is a big enough part of your life that you use it in your short list of self-descriptors, then you're likely enough to belong to an entire group of people I do want to disqualify.

A man who kills time on deployment playing games would hopefully not describe himself as a gamer on his short list. A man who plays a little bit wouldn't either. You have a huge red flag. Maybe you're so awesome it can be overlooked, or if I knew you in person it wouldn't seem like a big deal, but gaming is like collecting action figures and cosplay. It makes grown up women take a big step back from you and look at you funny, at the very least.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If gaming is a big enough part of your life that you use it in your short list of self-descriptors, then you're likely enough to belong to an entire group of people I do want to disqualify.

A man who kills time on deployment playing games would hopefully not describe himself as a gamer on his short list. A man who plays a little bit wouldn't either. You have a huge red flag. Maybe you're so awesome it can be overlooked, or if I knew you in person it wouldn't seem like a big deal, but gaming is like collecting action figures and cosplay. It makes grown up women take a big step back from you and look at you funny, at the very least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly would you then expect to see in someone's bio when they're listing their interests, then? Just out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Coming from a guy who's in a healthy relationship, all I have to say is ... buck up sissy pants.

If you're getting denied because you're fat, you don't want to date those girls anyways - they're too focused on image (trust me those women are the worst).

If you're getting denied because you're not educated enough, they probably want you to work and make all of the money while they sit on their asses on their iPhones all day.

If you don't know why you're getting denied and you claim to have a "great sense of humor", you're probably not the best to look at.

If you want to workout, do it for yourself, not to win someone over.

If you're not educated enough, go back to school for your own benefit, not to make more money for them

If you're ugly, hopefully you've got a huge dong / rack.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's pitiful is the women who are on this site exclusively to be the Feminist Police.

Men can't have any space to themselves without women eventually insisting on butting in.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Agreed.

I'm not really a gamer anymore because I fell behind the tech curve, but a great portion of adults, including married ones with kids, play games like Fallout.  Especially in the more professional crowds.

Of my peers, and not all are in tech fields, they're mostly up-to-date on recent video games, and have thriving social and romantic lives. This might be a generational gap some people here can't understand.  This is the generation that grew up with video games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

I presume these people wouldn't identify as gamers anymore than I would identify as a knitter in my short list of self descriptors.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#33]
In my late twenties and up until my mid thirties I hit a really bad dry spell.  Most of the women in that age group that are available are available for a reason.  It was a huge mistake for me not to marry in my early twenties and I paid the price for that.  During that time I was pretty much forced to either date much younger women or keep it really shallow with women closer to my own age.  The problem with going younger was I had already been through that phase of life and really didn't want to go back.  Much currency and firearms were acquired in that phase.  Oh, and motorcycles.  And power tools.  Now I'm married with children and having sort of the time of my life.  If I had it to do over I would have married the woman who eventually became my wife MUCH sooner.  That way I could have had more fun times with her before she hit menopause and got a bit grouchy.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#34]
There is no doubt that internet dating and Tinder have changed traditional dating for the worst. Great for guys wanting a quick fling, not good for finding relationship material. All a woman has to do is swipe no if you aren't a model or ignore you if you don't drive a fancy car and on to the next guy. If you're a smart and half way decent looking guy with a good job and good values, forget it. Not good enough. Meanwhile they work part time at Target, have baby daddy issues, and are on Facebook all day.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I love video games and want to be with someone who enjoys them as well.  That said, there's an entire sect of *gamers* who have zero social skills, questionable hygiene, low Vitamin D levels and a tenuous grasp on reality.  You know the ones I (and presumably she) am/are talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah. Even if you're "normal", I don't want to deal with anyone who spends time playing computer games. There's way too much to do to play games more than very casually, once in a while, or as part of killing time at a job where it's got real slow periods.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What exactly would you then expect to see in someone's bio when they're listing their interests, then? Just out of curiosity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything else in his line about 'short, fit, not terribly attractive, gun nut...' works for me.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work 50 hours a week , own a home and still like to play video games once a week. -shrugs-
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I presume these people wouldn't identify as gamers anymore than I would identify as a knitter in my short list of self descriptors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

They absolutely would.  Video games are among their hobbies.

That's what you're trying to tell people in your bio. What are the things you do in your spare time, what are you looking for, and maybe some indicators of your personality, and a few interests.

Otherwise you end up with the "I like to relax and have fun and stay active and go to the gym" profiles.

A list of things I could call myself probably include wakeboarder, programmer, snowboarder, gamer, car enthusiast, craft beer enthusiast, college football fan, fantasy football addict, etc...

None of these probably exceed by any significant margin the time you spend on knitting.  But you seem to have a "you shouldn't tell people about certain things you do for fun" list... But I'm not sure why.

Quoted:
Everything else in his line about 'short, fit, not terribly attractive, gun nut...' works for me.

Can you compare and contrast why "gun nut" is going to send a more positive message than "gamer"? Is it because guns are more expensive?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What's pitiful is the women who are on this site exclusively to be the Feminist Police.

Men can't have any space to themselves without women eventually insisting on butting in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't your space.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

I'd consider myself a gamer.

I don't think it has the negative connotation that you do, but I've seen online where women specifically call out they don't want a "gamer"

Guessing if a guy repeatedly stands you up to play WoW then at some point you develop those views.

As an aside, I play CoD to relax at the end of my day. Doesn't mean I'm not hitting the gym, studying, doing anything productive prior to my hour of CoD at night.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nah. Even if you're "normal", I don't want to deal with anyone who spends time playing computer games. There's way too much to do to play games more than very casually, once in a while, or as part of killing time at a job where it's got real slow periods.
View Quote

Again, I think this must be a generational problem. I don't see why you would want to deal with someone who plays computer games any less than someone who spends time working on his car or going shooting or reading a book or watching TV.

In 2015, video games are a great way for a couple friends to meet up online, and play around and socialize and work their brains a bit and follow a story line, have a drink and relax from a work day. I think you're just working off a stereotype of something you're not familiar with.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, well.  Ok then.  

To each her own.  My games will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.  I guess my saving grace is I'm not looking so I don't need to be interesting.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure they can.  Your house, your rules.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Again, I think this must be a generational problem. I don't see why you would want to deal with someone who plays computer games any less than someone who spends time working on his car or going shooting or reading a book.

In 2015, video games are a great way for a couple friends to meet up online, and play around and socialize and work their brains a bit and follow a story line, have a drink and relax from a work day. I think you're just working off a stereotype of something you're not familiar with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, I think this must be a generational problem. I don't see why you would want to deal with someone who plays computer games any less than someone who spends time working on his car or going shooting or reading a book.

Same could be said for BDSM.

Don't think I would lead with that either.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I think it's been mentioned in the thread already, but people and water tend to seek their own level.

If you aren't having any success, re-evaluate yourself.  Also, take a good look at the "pool" of people where you are casting your net.

And if you go into the dating scene looking for sex first and a relationship second, don't be surprised when you find good relationships hard to find.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In 2015, video games are a great way for a couple friends to meet up online, and play around and socialize and work their brains a bit and follow a story line. I think you're just working off a stereotype of something you're not familiar with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 2015, video games are a great way for a couple friends to meet up online, and play around and socialize and work their brains a bit and follow a story line. I think you're just working off a stereotype of something you're not familiar with.

Even with the video game aspect of this thing set aside, the fact that an entire group of people got brushed off simply because of their choice of hobby is evidence that the scenario that I posted in my original post is a more than uncommon attitude.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's what you're trying to tell people in your bio. What are the things you do in your spare time, what are you looking for, and maybe some indicators of your personality, and a few interests.

Otherwise you end up with the "I like to relax and have fun and stay active and go to the gym" profiles.

A list of things I could call myself probably include wakeboarder, programmer, snowboarder, gamer, car enthusiast, craft beer enthusiast, college football fan, fantasy football addict, etc...

None of these probably exceed by any significant margin the time you spend on knitting.  But you seem to have a "you shouldn't tell people about certain things you do for fun" list... But I'm not sure why.

Can you compare and contrast why "gun nut" is going to send a more positive message than "gamer"? Is it because guns are more expensive?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Quoted:

You're changing the context. He listed 5 things about himself (not just hobbies) and gamers made that short list. That's the red flag.

As for the guns thing? Yes. It's because they're more expensive. It has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a raging gun nut. Just a gold digger.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no rational reason to compare an uncommon sexual proclivity to playing video games.

You could have also said "the same can be said for going to a bar". Or "the same could be said for watching Friends". Would you refuse to lead with that?

Quoted:
You're changing the context. He listed 5 things about himself (not just hobbies) and gamers made that short list. That's the red flag.

As for the guns thing? Yes. It's because they're more expensive. It has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a raging gun nut. Just a gold digger.

What you're talking about is not a red flag, it's just that you don't have all the same interests. There's nothing superior about guns being a hobby than video games.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have anyone specific in mind?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Again, I think this must be a generational problem. I don't see why you would want to deal with someone who plays computer games any less than someone who spends time working on his car or going shooting or reading a book or watching TV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars and shooting are active and aren't simple consumption. I'd be avoiding guys who list TV in their top 5 self descriptors too.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top