Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 39
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
had almost the exact same thing happen to me years ago....

cow got hit by small car, occupants all fubar, cow with broken leg...farmer showed up with rifle saying HE was going to put it down, cars and bystanders around all over the place...i told him no
i would put it down if thats what he wanted...a .22 in the ear was much safer than him racking a 30-06 off and god knows where the ricochet would go

he got all pissed and butthurt started mouthing off etc etc....told him to get back in his truck and he could haul the cow off after i was done

I would've let him shoot it.
No piss test, no letter to the captain, no email to the chief.
An incident and accident report.
Thank the rancher, and hell, I'd help him move it.

oh and in for the potential of this thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, Bama carries a suppressed .22 in his cruiser.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cow got hit by small car, occupants all fubar, cow with broken leg...farmer showed up with rifle saying HE was going to put it down, cars and bystanders around all over the place...i told him no
i would put it down if thats what he wanted...a .22 in the ear was much safer than him racking a 30-06 off and god knows where the ricochet would go

he got all pissed and butthurt started mouthing off etc etc....told him to get back in his truck and he could haul the cow off after i was done

Since when did cops start carrying 22lr?

If I recall correctly, Bama carries a suppressed .22 in his cruiser.

Is that right?
Bama, you holding out on me?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm willing to bet that the old man showed up with his rifle to put down the bull, the deputies went derp, and the old man wound up dead.
View Quote
Adams county is rural as fuck.  Cops there are used to people with guns.  Old dude probably went full on derp.  

Some of those ranchers are... special...
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The area where the bull was hit is open range, Zollman said, and darkness had fallen by the time the Subaru crashed into the black bull in the roadway.

WTF this makes no sense. On a public road. What more bs to the story?
View Quote

How is that no sense?

Open range = no fences = livestock on road.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If someone is going to destroy your live property without justification, I wonder what the law in Idaho is regarding defending it with force.  Likewise in cases involving LEOs, as many States now seem to give them a special status in such cases (my State is an example; unless you are about to be murdered, any use of force in otherwise legitimate self-defence is unlawful).  I know that under the common law LEOs were not treated differently when doing something unlawful that could justify the use of force in return, such as entering a home without a warrant or a false arrest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm willing to bet that the old man showed up with his rifle to put down the bull, the deputies went derp, and the old man wound up dead.

More like rancher thought he had to put the bull down. Realized it would survive. Pointed rifle at cops when they said they were going to shoot it.

If someone is going to destroy your live property without justification, I wonder what the law in Idaho is regarding defending it with force.  Likewise in cases involving LEOs, as many States now seem to give them a special status in such cases (my State is an example; unless you are about to be murdered, any use of force in otherwise legitimate self-defence is unlawful).  I know that under the common law LEOs were not treated differently when doing something unlawful that could justify the use of force in return, such as entering a home without a warrant or a false arrest.

Let the cops shoot your cow, and file a claim in the morning at the courthouse.  I'm not aware of anything in Idaho code that would allow you to defend livestock with deadly force (against people).
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can believe it.  If the bull was down he was going to put it out of it's misery, what any person who has and cares for livestock would do.  I have personally been ordered not to shoot a hit animal by a deputy.  Cops are idiots when it comes to shit like this.  I think it comes from them thinking they are the only ones that should have a gun on scene.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the comments:

Jack, Donna and Rowdy, Donna's nephew, showed up to take care of their bull. Jack was bent down and a second from shooting the bull when a cop grabbed him from the back and spun him around. He shot Jack in the stomach and the other cop shot him 4 times in the chest. The cops were standing behind Jack. Donna and Rowdy rushed down to Jack and the cops threw them face down on the ground and had guns to their head. Between what happened to her husband and the rough treatment, she had a massive heart attack. She was life flighted to Boise. She had another last night. This story came from Jack's nephew and it was told to him by Rowdy. The sheriff wanted Rowdy to change his account. The bull (becoming aggressive) seems key to the story but it wasn't even in the account I heard from Jack's nephew. There was crew trying to get the people out of the car that hit the bull. This sounds like a big coverup to me (the news account). I just can't understand how those cops could have done that. We seem to get the ex military rambos around here. I've heard plenty about these deputies being difficult. I don't know how Donna is doing. I hate to bother the family. I am pretty close to her and I'm so worried she isn't going to make it.(This is a post on FB)

I found the Harry Potter novels more believable.
I can believe it.  If the bull was down he was going to put it out of it's misery, what any person who has and cares for livestock would do.  I have personally been ordered not to shoot a hit animal by a deputy.  Cops are idiots when it comes to shit like this.  I think it comes from them thinking they are the only ones that should have a gun on scene.

You believe that a deputy grabbed the dude up by his neck and him and his buddy cop started mag dumping into his chest?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You believe that a deputy grabbed the dude up by his neck and him and his buddy cop started mag dumping into his chest?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the comments:

Jack, Donna and Rowdy, Donna's nephew, showed up to take care of their bull. Jack was bent down and a second from shooting the bull when a cop grabbed him from the back and spun him around. He shot Jack in the stomach and the other cop shot him 4 times in the chest. The cops were standing behind Jack. Donna and Rowdy rushed down to Jack and the cops threw them face down on the ground and had guns to their head. Between what happened to her husband and the rough treatment, she had a massive heart attack. She was life flighted to Boise. She had another last night. This story came from Jack's nephew and it was told to him by Rowdy. The sheriff wanted Rowdy to change his account. The bull (becoming aggressive) seems key to the story but it wasn't even in the account I heard from Jack's nephew. There was crew trying to get the people out of the car that hit the bull. This sounds like a big coverup to me (the news account). I just can't understand how those cops could have done that. We seem to get the ex military rambos around here. I've heard plenty about these deputies being difficult. I don't know how Donna is doing. I hate to bother the family. I am pretty close to her and I'm so worried she isn't going to make it.(This is a post on FB)

even if that was the case, what's unlawful about that?
Yes, It's bad. But it's been my understanding that having a gun means a cop can open up on you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:40:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes, It's bad. But it's been my understanding that having a gun means a cop can open up on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the comments:

2/3rds of this state would be dead.  

Cops up here get all pissy if you don't have a gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the comments:

The mere presence of a firearm, in and of itself, is not going to be a lawful justification for deadly force.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

???

It means he thinks you are not playing with a full deck, but have replaced the missing cards with ones that may make it easier for you.

Me, I think you just dropped the deck and didn't find all the cards.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:41:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The area where the bull was hit is open range, Zollman said, and darkness had fallen by the time the Subaru crashed into the black bull in the roadway.

WTF this makes no sense. On a public road. What more bs to the story?
View Quote

range cattle can be found on public roads in many places out here, usually not major roads, but they can get there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like rancher thought he had to put the bull down. Realized it would survive. Pointed rifle at cops when they said they were going to shoot it.

You need to change the state on your avatar, because that's not the law in California.

197.  Homicide is also justifiable when committed by any person in any of the following cases:

1. When resisting any attempt to murder any person, or to commit a felony, or to do some great bodily injury upon any person; or,

2. When committed in defense of habitation, property, or person, against one who manifestly intends or endeavors, by violence or surprise, to commit a felony, or against one who manifestly intends and endeavors, in a violent, riotous or tumultuous manner, to enter the habitation of another for the purpose of offering violence to any person therein; or,

3. When committed in the lawful defense of such person, or of a wife or husband, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant of such person, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony or to do some great bodily injury, and imminent danger of such design being accomplished; but such person, or the person in whose behalf the defense was made, if he was the assailant or engaged in mutual combat, must really and in good faith have endeavored to decline any further struggle before the homicide was committed; or,

4. When necessarily committed in attempting, by lawful ways and means, to apprehend any person for any felony committed, or in lawfully suppressing any riot, or in lawfully keeping and preserving the peace.

(Amended by Stats. 1963, Ch. 372.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, the only thing I can add is quite possibly the the ranchers wife could die too, talking about a shit day...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so, what happened?

It would seem the rancher with the fudd rifle is dead, he didnt get run over, the bull didnt gore him, reports say the cops shot and killed the rancher in a dispute and his bull is dead plus his old lady is in critical condition having a heart attack after learning her husband was shot to death by sheriff deputies  

Another win for the blue line.  

Still waiting on your insight into this incident.

Well, the only thing I can add is quite possibly the the ranchers wife could die too, talking about a shit day...

Some of the rest of us would like to know about the bullshit you made up, out of whole cloth or pull it out your ass
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Needs a lot more details about this altercation.
View Quote
The "altercation" was probably that the old man showed up with a rifle to put down his bull, cops went full retard when they saw him get out of his truck with a rifle all yelled at once for him to drop the gun and get on the ground in a cacophony of mixed noise from three men screaming like girls all at once, old man said wut? Not responding in less than .05 seconds and they opened fired taking out the "threat".
I'm betting that was the "altercation".

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm sorry but, that comment is from the BLM propaganda wing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the comments:

I'm sorry but, that comment is from the BLM propaganda wing.

Aww crap, are those Bulls Lives Matter people there too?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I happen to know a Deputy who happened to be about 100 yds away from the idiot carrying an airsoft AK down the street, when the dispatch call went out about a man with a gun pointing it at kids.    He responded that he was 10-97 and nobody on the reported road, but he looked down the cross street and there he was, walking down the middle of the street.  "Wait, yep there he is."  Not hunting season, carrying it a low ready.    Lit him up, called on him to drop it.  Luckily the 15 year old, dropped it and moved away as ordered.  Once he was hooked up, and back-up was rolling in, the Deputy discovered it was airsoft.  

I know, I know, he should have shot him so the whiners would be able to whine more, but it doesn't fit their fantasies.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't do very well when you hit the casino, do you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Altercations are hard to prove when one guy is dead.. unless there is video tape.

Not saying I don't trust cops to tell the truth when they may face a prison sentence, but I don't trust cops to tell the truth when they may face a prison sentence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says there was an altercation which kinda rules out that if by that you're saying he showed up with a gun and the deputies thought he was there for nefarious purposes and just shot him.

Altercations are hard to prove when one guy is dead.. unless there is video tape.

Not saying I don't trust cops to tell the truth when they may face a prison sentence, but I don't trust cops to tell the truth when they may face a prison sentence.

Never mind the dash cameras and multiple witnesses at an accident scene....
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The "altercation" was probably that the old man showed up with a rifle to put down his bull, cops went full retard when they saw him get out of his truck with a rifle all yelled at once for him to drop the gun and get on the ground in a cacophony of mixed noise from three men screaming like girls all at once, old man said wut? Not responding in less than .05 seconds and they opened fired taking out the "threat".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs a lot more details about this altercation.

Except for the fact the deceased discharged his weapon as well.  Do you people ever actually read the articles that are posted before commenting?  Or do you just enjoy looking like an ass?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the comments:

L.O.L.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Getting all gold fringy and joinderish up in here.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I came across a black cow on a back road one night. Thing was hard to see! This was outside the cattle guard areas too so I wasn't expecting it.
View Quote

Almost smoked one in my Civic years ago.    Dumb fucker was standing in the middle of the road. That would have been a disaster.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Well, in the absence of fact, might as well make up shit.  Hooves up, don't shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, in the absence of fact, might as well make up shit.  Hooves up, don't shoot.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#29]
how is he going to pay for the damages now that he is dead?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Tag for when the dashcam footage is released. We now return you to your regularly scheduled derp.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tag for when the dashcam footage is released. We now return you to your regularly scheduled derp.
View Quote

This, it's just rage over speculation until that point
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Well this seems to be a story off of the Longmire series.

We will find out what happened in the end.  

One thing you have got to understand you worms

Cops have to win on every level every time.   It isn't like the old days guys where cops were your friends and neighbors.  For various reasons they have been encapsulated into the US team and we are the THEM team.

Old Rancher is used to fixing every problem everyday his way.  Like much of the THEM team does.  

Anyone can write this story out a thousand ways.  But just about any story that ends up this way involves a cop that will not lose face and must win and a rancher who about the same mentality.

By the way cops have shot a lot of other people trying to shoot cows dogs and bad guys.

So  I am waiting on more info but this does not look good for the US team.

If a cop wants to control a situation then control it but sometimes it is better to have a little less control if it means killing people over a damn car wreck.

I stopped one time to see a wreck where animals hogs were dying.  One hog was still breathing.  Nobody hurt in fact it was a hit and run so I offered my knife to the officer to put the hog down.  I was hoping he would let me take them but he said animal control was on the way.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Nothing to add, but damn, I sure would've loved to shoot the 2 bulls at the dairy farm I worked at.  I hated those murderous bovine bastards. They were always looking for a chance to kill my teenaged ass.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually don't play into the whole JBT's out looking to kill thing, but this is actually a fairly plausible scenario and I can definitely see how it went wrong on both ends. If indeed how it went down, Farmer should have thought better of jumping out the truck locked and cocked, and the deputies should have really considered if there was any immenint threat or just the presence of a weapon. I imagine the investigation will shed more light on the details.

Oh and btw, where is the outrage? Where are all the protests that the cops killed this guy?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#35]
In for updates.........and random speculation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep, we always shoot people for no reason whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, we always shoot people for no reason whatsoever.

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Fucking Subarus
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have limp wristed the .40.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I am betting the rancher realized the bull didn't need to die and he tried to stop the deputies from killing the bull. A bull is probably worth $4K or maybe more. This is a more plausible scenario as I would doubt the successful 62 year old rancher would be arguing over who gets to kill the bull.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nothing to add, but damn, I sure would've loved to shoot the 2 bulls at the dairy farm I worked at.  I hated those murderous bovine bastards. They were always looking for a chance to kill my teenaged ass.
View Quote

Around here, bulls with bad attitudes wind up in the freezer.

I've heard tales from some of the old ones about mean bulls but I've never encountered one myself, though I do always keep a wary eye on them and try to always have an escape route picked out just in case.

We were raised that way as animals can and will FUBAR you if they take a notion and they don't have to be big ones.

I witnessed a prize ram almost kill a man in a stall with him before we could get him out.

The man got his shit together, grabbed a fence stretcher and went back in the stall.

The battle was epic.  

The man finally "won" but the outcome was in doubt more than once.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could be, or could be he was a stubborn old man.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You have a .22 in your police car?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he got all pissed and butthurt started mouthing off etc etc....told him to get back in his truck and he could haul the cow off after i was

You have a .22 in your police car?  

Doesn't everyone? K22 in my case.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#43]
BLM. = Black Angus Lives Matter
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Almost smoked one in my Civic years ago.    Dumb fucker was standing in the middle of the road. That would have been a disaster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I came across a black cow on a back road one night. Thing was hard to see! This was outside the cattle guard areas too so I wasn't expecting it.

You mean she almost smoked you.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Willing to bet what?

How about a Bronze Membership?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Usually, it's the 'World Champion Prize Breeding-Stock Bulls' that get hit. At least they become one when they get hit.
View Quote

That's only if it's not your fault then it's a homeless animal.

A guy had a horse jump out in front of him on the way to work one night and he is paralyzed from the neck down after the horse went through the windshield. Everyone knew who the horse belonged to but no one could prove it when the owner said it wasn't his.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#48]

The rancher's wife had a heart attack after learning the police killed her husband.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Pit Bull?
View Quote

Bovine of peace.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's Idaho. Every body has a rifle every where.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's Idaho. Every body has a rifle every where.

Everybody and their mums is packing.
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top