Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 39
Posted: 11/2/2015 9:27:16 PM EDT
I did not find a dupe.

Idaho State Police are investigating after a Council rancher was shot and killed Sunday by deputies with the Adams County Sheriff's Office.

The incident began when a Subaru station wagon crashed into a bull on US 95 north of Council at about 6:45 p.m. Emergency responders and Adams County deputies responded and were working to extricate the two people inside the car. Adams County Sheriff Ryan Zollman said the bull, which was injured in the collision, started charging at emergency responders and other vehicles.

"The bull was very agitated and was aggressive to emergency services, as well as the other cars coming up and down the highway," he said.

Deputies were getting ready to put the animal down when the bull's owner, 62-year-old Jack Yantis, arrived on the scene with a rifle. Zollman said dispatchers had called Yantis after the crash, telling him that the bull that was hit appeared to be his, and was down on the highway near his house.

What happened next is still under investigation, but Zollman said there was an altercation and Yantis and both deputies all fired their weapons.

Yantis was fatally wounded and died at the scene. One of the deputies suffered a minor injury.

Moar here

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Mess with the bull, get the horns?

Also, IN.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I almost think there's a war on cattlemen?

Edit:  war on cattlemen?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I came across a black cow on a back road one night. Thing was hard to see! This was outside the cattle guard areas too so I wasn't expecting it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Old man shows up, gets pissed that the cops want to shoot his cow?

Sounds like a cluster.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Did the Bull make it then?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Pit Bull?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Did they shoot his dog also?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did the Bull make it then?
View Quote

Add the wife to the list, she had a heart attack and is in critical condition after she got the news Pa was shot dead.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Usually, it's the 'World Champion Prize Breeding-Stock Bulls' that get hit. At least they become one when they get hit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Needs a lot more details about this altercation.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Needs a lot more details about this altercation.
View Quote

Why u need facts brah?  It's obvious the evil JBTs set up the crash so they could kill the bull AND the owner in one fell swoop.

I bet the deputies had cargo pockets.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]

What you did there.  I see it.  Lmao also.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm willing to bet that the old man showed up with his rifle to put down the bull, the deputies went derp, and the old man wound up dead.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#15]
had almost the exact same thing happen to me years ago....

cow got hit by small car, occupants all fubar, cow with broken leg...farmer showed up with rifle saying HE was going to put it down, cars and bystanders around all over the place...i told him no

i would put it down if thats what he wanted...a .22 in the ear was much safer than him racking a 30-06 off and god knows where the ricochet would go

he got all pissed and butthurt started mouthing off etc etc....told him to get back in his truck and he could haul the cow off after i was done

oh and in for the potential of this thread
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet that the old man showed up with his rifle to put down the bull, the deputies went derp, and the old man wound up dead.
View Quote

Well, in the absence of fact, might as well make up shit.  Hooves up, don't shoot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It says there was an altercation which kinda rules out that if by that you're saying he showed up with a gun and the deputies thought he was there for nefarious purposes and just shot him.  Sounds like there was an argument.  Who knows.  We need more facts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

cow got hit by small car, occupants all fubar, cow with broken leg...farmer showed up with rifle saying HE was going to put it down, cars and bystanders around all over the place...i told him no
i would put it down if thats what he wanted...a .22 in the ear was much safer than him racking a 30-06 off and god knows where the ricochet would go

he got all pissed and butthurt started mouthing off etc etc....told him to get back in his truck and he could haul the cow off after i was done

View Quote

Since when did cops start carrying 22lr?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Old man shows up, gets pissed that the cops want to shoot his cow?

Sounds like a cluster.
View Quote

I don't think it's much more complicated than that. Well, other than the fact it was a bull but I still find myself in agreement with your assessment.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It says there was an altercation which kinda rules out that if by that you're saying he showed up with a gun and the deputies thought he was there for nefarious purposes and just shot him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says there was an altercation which kinda rules out that if by that you're saying he showed up with a gun and the deputies thought he was there for nefarious purposes and just shot him.

Altercations are hard to prove when one guy is dead.. unless there is video tape.

Not saying I don't trust cops to tell the truth when they may face a prison sentence, but I don't trust cops to tell the truth when they may face a prison sentence.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, but Chakam's avatar inspired my idiocy.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, in the absence of fact, might as well make up shit.  Hooves up, don't shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull lives matter?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know if I'd get up behind a pissed off bull with just a 22.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Edit - T
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CIA cops with ghost 22s meant to quietly remove dissenters. He probably was wearing a gas mask to defeat the chem trails. Error in judgement, won't happen again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#26]
If a bull is pissed off then the only way you can stop him is with a gun. I tried to stop one with a Jeep one time and I'm not sure if he even acknowledged my presence.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Altercations are hard to prove when one guy is dead.. unless there is video tape.

Not saying I don't trust cops to tell the truth when they may face a prison sentence, but I don't trust cops to tell the truth when they may face a prison sentence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well we have the auto victims who were present, we have EMS that was present, and we know the deputies were aware the bull owner was coming because dispatch called him.  Given all of that, the more likely scenario is that an argument took place.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, Bama carries a suppressed .22 in his cruiser.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice, we killed ur old man and his bull, the inkies in the Subaru should be alright, have a nice day Ma'am. WTF, talking derp
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well we have the auto victims who were present, we have EMS that was present, and we know the deputies were aware the bull owner was coming because dispatch called him.  Given all of that, the more likely scenario is that an argument took place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We shall see.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a couple of text alerts about closure on route 95 in that area, now it makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#32]
A deputy was shot in the altercation (grazed actually).

At least that's the inside dope I have as of right now (from LE).
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We shall see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We shall see.

LOL.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I came across a black cow on a back road one night. Thing was hard to see! This was outside the cattle guard areas too so I wasn't expecting it.
View Quote
I hit one in Georgia.  I never saw it until the very last second.  I almost head-on'd it.  I made a quick swerve and the ass of the cow took off the mirror and wrinkled every panel on the drivers side.  Luckily it was a rental.  

A cow causes a lot of damage and can easily kill you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LOL.
View Quote

???
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#36]
well,aint that some bull
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I will make a video  go for it

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Odds are that it was his partner's fault.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, I can't dispute that one bit...
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Clearly the old coot was just protecting his property and shot dead by jack booted agents of the government. Molon Labe motherfuckers! Well, it looks like that's what happened.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Am I the only one wondering if the Bull is OK??

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Am I the only one wondering if the Bull is OK??

View Quote
You're the only one who didn't read

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn JBT's, dogs aren't good enough anymore, now they have moved to cattle.  
Whats next, horses?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Local cops here carry a 10/22 in the trunk.

Spoke to the chief about it when one of his guys took a knee in my company's parking lot with said 10/22 to dispatch a skunk.  Not exactly what you expect to see when you leave work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#45]
There was a story a few years back of a cop who hit a killed a kid (cop was on a motorcycle, I think).  It was (obviously) a complete accident.

Dad showed up and attacked the cop, the cop ended up shooting and killing him.

Tragic story, nobody went home a winner there.

edit: The little girl was not killed, she was fucked up pretty bad, but lived.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

City cops and the SO in my childhood county both carry .22lr rifles for dispatching wildlife hit by cars.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#47]
The area where the bull was hit is open range, Zollman said, and darkness had fallen by the time the Subaru crashed into the black bull in the roadway.

WTF this makes no sense. On a public road. What more bs to the story?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story seems suspicious.

ETA:  Behind the ear is not how you shoot cattle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

More like rancher thought he had to put the bull down. Realized it would survive. Pointed rifle at cops when they said they were going to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#50]
omg, if a guy says he has a .22 he has a .22. That is not suspicious.

I got a .22 right here next to me. It was stuffed in my belt this afternoon. Am I suspicious?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top