Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
"It’s hard for me to speak about my experience as a working woman because I can safely say my problems aren’t exactly relatable. When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky people with dicks, I didn’t get mad at Sony. I got mad at myself. I failed as a negotiator because I gave up early."
View Quote

That's a common problem for women, they seem to be terrible wage negotiators.  And she accepts the blame, so good on her.  But does she not have an agent to do this?  Let your agent do his/her job for crying out loud.

"A few weeks ago at work, I spoke my mind and gave my opinion in a clear and no-bullshit way; no aggression, just blunt. The man I was working with (actually, he was working for me) said, “Whoa! We’re all on the same team here!” As if I was yelling at him. I was so shocked because nothing that I said was personal, offensive, or, to be honest, wrong. All I hear and see all day are men speaking their opinions, and I give mine in the same exact manner, and you would have thought I had said something offensive."
View Quote

I like JLaw but I guarantee she was yelling at that guy and being a total bitch.  I don't imagine her being very reserved when expressing a strong opinion in private.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's in, what, the top 2 <0.5% of wage earners in the world and she's complaining?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think her real problem is that she just realized that as her breast sags, her earning power will be sagging with them.  That said, not many men can get paid just to look pretty.

Most likely, women get paid less in the movie industry because they are more readily replaceable.
View Quote

A set of nice, natural tits with staying power is truly a wonder.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If she is smart she's putting half of that money in a retirement account

If not she will be doing capital one commercials pretty soon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't care... Still... NOT GUILTY!!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what she thinks about Trump?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

She sounds hysterical.
View Quote

She sounds badly in need of some dick.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why is Lena Dunham even being mentioned? Literally nothing about the quote seems to relate to her...

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Her nekkid pics were top notch. Top. Notch.
View Quote

I concur
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
She's the girl from Hunger Games right? What men in those films are getting paid more than her?
View Quote

Yes, the girl with cum all over her face.  Hard to take her serious after all that. LOL
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
If she wants, there's a type of media where guys get paid so much less.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Dear Ms. Lawrence:

Hollywood doesn't care what's between your legs or if you can act, or even if you can read and write. Their sole concern is whether or not you can sell movie tickets. Male leads sell more movie tickets than female leads. If they thought you could put as many asses in seats as Tom Cruise, they'd pay you what they pay Tom Cruise.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
She's in, what, the top 2% of wage earners in the world and she's complaining?
View Quote

Lonely at the top.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
So she's already loaded, chalk it up to a learning experience and negotiate better for your next movies.

Sheesh. Just be careful, there are 87 million young pretty girls who will do it cheaper, so have your ducks lined up, because this train could end for you and you'll be an outsider before you know it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I just read the quoted portion of the article... but she's just pointing out people's reaction to her trying to negotiate a better deal for herself... Lol. She said she was mad at herself for not negotiating more for her. Is GD reading the same quoted portion of the article? And if men are reacting that way to a woman in the work place, maybe they should get the sand out of their own vaginas lol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]
If she showed her tits and snatch on screen I might be inclined to catch the dvd release of whatever she's in otherwise stfu.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And how exactly does one determine or know that others are no more valuable than they are?  

Fun fact:  If someone is willing to pay someone else more than you to do the work, they are apparently more valuable than you in the eyes of the employer, whether you "know" you're equal to them or not.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taking gender out of it, if you found out that you were being paid far less than others around you that you KNEW were no more "valuable" than you, you'd be pissed.

And how exactly does one determine or know that others are no more valuable than they are?  

Fun fact:  If someone is willing to pay someone else more than you to do the work, they are apparently more valuable than you in the eyes of the employer, whether you "know" you're equal to them or not.

Sometimes you KNOW, sometimes you don't. That is the big question, isn't it?

And the thing also seemed to be, she feels that she SHOULD have negotiated for more. Would the studios have paid more, had she asked for it? If she's valuable, probably. She says she was also mad at herself for not pushing for more.

The creative world can be complex. I am a big fan of classical and orchestral music, and I've realized that few of my favorite composers are women. Sure, singers, soloists, musicians are women, but not composers. Why is that? It's not because women aren't as "creative" or as "musical." I think it's in large part because we're so used composers being male. I'm used to it.

I've been reading about this in the art world. Even though most artists are liberal, how it's far more common for a male artist to get their art featured and sold in a fancy art gallery. Art schools have their fair share of female graduates, but why aren't these women getting as many art shows as men? Is it because men are more assertive? I think that has a lot to do with it. Is it because the gallery owners are more favorably inclined towards men? Perhaps, sometimes. Is it because all the men are more "talented"? (I do not believe that one! That's not been my observation at all.)

I think it happens for the same reason that I'm "used" to my favorite composers being men. Because that's how it "always" has been.

Whether or not there is some bias or unfairness in the case with Jennifer Lawrence, I don't know. But to think that nobody ever does this sort of thing anymore... I don't think that's the case.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I found out that a lot of coworkers, who I didn't believe brought any more value to the job than I did, but they were getting paid a LOT more than me, I'd be pissed too, and I'd wish I were more assertive.

are other people on her set getting paid more than her? Where do we see these numbers?

That is the question.

IF she is reacting to a reality, and that reality is that guys who aren't bringing in more income for the studio, aren't as big "stars," or are no bigger "stars," and are getting paid more just because, well hell yeah I'd be pissed if I were her. Wouldn't you? Taking gender out of it, if you found out that you were being paid far less than others around you that you KNEW were no more "valuable" than you, you'd be pissed.

Whether this is true or not in Lawrence's case, who knows. It wouldn't surprise me, though. Hollywood can be full of liberal hypocrites who talk equality but don't actually practice it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3075487/Hunger-Games-star-Jennifer-Lawrence-wins-Hollywood-gender-pay-gap-battle-paid-double-leading-man-s-wage-new-film.html

Well that settles that particular question.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If I found out that a lot of coworkers, who I didn't believe brought any more value to the job than I did, but they were getting paid a LOT more than me, I'd be pissed too, and I'd wish I were more assertive.
View Quote

+1.
She made a fair argument for the reason she was a poor negotiator.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought she was the highest paid actress last year, or something close to that.

People will find anything to bitch about
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's none of your business what other people make.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I think you guys are reading way too much into this. She acknowledges she is at fault because she didn't negotiate for more.  The worst thing you can say is she has the perception that men can negotiate harder because they aren't concerned about being well-liked as much as they are about being well-paid - and that is probably true.

Personally, I'd bet it has more to do with age than gender.  It is generally easier to take advantage of younger people in negotiations because their expectations are less formed.  Either way, I bet she negotiates harder next time around.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
It's hard to take someone seriously when you google her name, click images and see her cum drenched face and spread asshole.

Apparently, she loves dicks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If she wants, there's a type of media where guys get paid so much less.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, then!

I have to admit, I've never heard of her leading man. IS he as big a "star" as she is? This is the issue. It's a big IF. IF she is being paid less than male stars who are not any "bigger" stars than her, bring no more to the box office, then she's got a right to be pissed. But IF it's just a matter of so-and-so male star is higher up on the fame food chain and that's why he's paid more, then suck it up buttercup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

are other people on her set getting paid more than her? Where do we see these numbers?

That is the question.

IF she is reacting to a reality, and that reality is that guys who aren't bringing in more income for the studio, aren't as big "stars," or are no bigger "stars," and are getting paid more just because, well hell yeah I'd be pissed if I were her. Wouldn't you? Taking gender out of it, if you found out that you were being paid far less than others around you that you KNEW were no more "valuable" than you, you'd be pissed.

Whether this is true or not in Lawrence's case, who knows. It wouldn't surprise me, though. Hollywood can be full of liberal hypocrites who talk equality but don't actually practice it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3075487/Hunger-Games-star-Jennifer-Lawrence-wins-Hollywood-gender-pay-gap-battle-paid-double-leading-man-s-wage-new-film.html

Well, then!

I have to admit, I've never heard of her leading man. IS he as big a "star" as she is? This is the issue. It's a big IF. IF she is being paid less than male stars who are not any "bigger" stars than her, bring no more to the box office, then she's got a right to be pissed. But IF it's just a matter of so-and-so male star is higher up on the fame food chain and that's why he's paid more, then suck it up buttercup.

Her work is worth what she and her employer agreed that it was.

That is the free market definition (and the only rational one, for that matter) of value.

If she isn't getting paid as much as another actor, then by definition, her work is not of equal value.  

She has a right to be pissed.   But instead of being pissed that the person who set her wage (herself), she's blaming "the patriarchy" for making her settle for less than what she now thinks her labor was worth.

If she was smart, she'd take this as a life lesson and personal growth moment.    Not a soap-box from which to blame everyone else for her mistakes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#27]
She was angry over the fact that both Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper made more than her in American Hustle? Really?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd still hit it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#31]
And in this thread we discover that most of arfcom not only didn't read the article, they didn't even read the OP.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#32]
When you dig through the bullshit it is a dispute over the back-end payout for American Hustle.  Male actors like Christian Bale (aka Batman) and Jeremy Renner (Borne, Avengers) got 9% and Amy Adams and Jlaw got 7%.  So it's hard to say if it is discrimination or just economics because you have very accomplished male actors she is comparing herself to.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You sure that was her?

I know she had some nudes leaked but I didn't think any of them showed that level of graphic detail with her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's hard to take someone seriously when you google her name, click images and see her cum drenched face and spread asshole.

You sure that was her?

I know she had some nudes leaked but I didn't think any of them showed that level of graphic detail with her.

She won the fappening award for most nudes published.  Yes, it was her.  Google her name and take your filter off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you mean if you found out someone made more money than you, that you wouldn't be pissed that you weren't more assertive? If you were more assertive, you could have made more money too.

Most people are upset when they lose an opportunity to make more money. If you're not one of these people, okay...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You sure that was her?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure that was her?

I don't think the facial pics are legit.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

She won the fappening award for most nudes published.  Yes, it was her.  Google her name and take your filter off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure that was her?

I tried that and nothing showed up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
She was angry over the fact that both Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper made more than her in American Hustle? Really?
View Quote

And Jeremy Renner... Supporting my "age" theory, all of those actors are 40+ and probably have much more negotiating experience.  Against that theory, Amy Adams is also 40+ but got the same 7% deal as Lawrence.

However Lawrence pretty much broke it off in Sony on her pay for their next film - she'll be pulling in $20 million, twice what Chris Pratt is getting paid. Sounds like she learned a good lesson young and it only cost her 2% (that studio accountants are more than capable of stealing back).
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think her real problem is that she just realized that as her breast sags, her earning power will be sagging with them.  That said, not many men can get paid just to look pretty.

Most likely, women get paid less in the movie industry because they are more readily replaceable.

I think Anne Hathaway recently remarked on how powerful age plays in the competitive nature of female acting roles.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure that was her?

Those had been published on 4chan well before the leak, so not her.

But some lucky guy is with a JLaw lookalike, who's a bit of a freak.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I said it before and I say it again.....she looks like a young Jennifer Coolidge (Sticker's mom).
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Her nekkid pics were top notch. Top. Notch.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lena Dunham Turns Jennifer Lawrence Into an A**hole

...And now Dunham’s got her hooks into Lawrence. And now someone whose primary appeal was that she came off as her Own Woman is crybabying in public that she didn’t ask for enough millions…

"It’s hard for me to speak about my experience as a working woman because I can safely say my problems aren’t exactly relatable. When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky people with dicks, I didn’t get mad at Sony. I got mad at myself. I failed as a negotiator because I gave up early."

"But if I’m honest with myself, I would be lying if I didn’t say there was an element of wanting to be liked that influenced my decision to close the deal without a real fight. I didn’t want to seem “difficult” or “spoiled.” At the time, that seemed like a fine idea, until I saw the payroll on the Internet and realized every man I was working with definitely didn’t worry about being “difficult” or “spoiled.”"

"I don’t think I’m the only woman with this issue. Are we socially conditioned to behave this way? We’ve only been able to vote for what, 90 years? I’m seriously asking — my phone is on the counter and I’m on the couch, so a calculator is obviously out of the question. Could there still be a lingering habit of trying to express our opinions in a certain way that doesn’t “offend” or “scare” men?"

"A few weeks ago at work, I spoke my mind and gave my opinion in a clear and no-bullshit way; no aggression, just blunt. The man I was working with (actually, he was working for me) said, “Whoa! We’re all on the same team here!” As if I was yelling at him. I was so shocked because nothing that I said was personal, offensive, or, to be honest, wrong. All I hear and see all day are men speaking their opinions, and I give mine in the same exact manner, and you would have thought I had said something offensive."

"I don’t think I’ve ever worked for a man in charge who spent time contemplating what angle he should use to have his voice heard."

"Again, this might have NOTHING to do with my vagina, but I wasn’t completely wrong when another leaked Sony email revealed a producer referring to a fellow lead actress in a negotiation as a “spoiled brat.” For some reason, I just can’t picture someone saying that about a man."
View Quote

Fake blonde cry baby no talent hacks are a dime a dozen why does she think she is worth more?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lena Dunham Turns Jennifer Lawrence Into an A**hole

...And now Dunham’s got her hooks into Lawrence. And now someone whose primary appeal was that she came off as her Own Woman is crybabying in public that she didn’t ask for enough millions…

"But if I’m honest with myself, I would be lying if I didn’t say there was an element of wanting to be liked that influenced my decision to close the deal without a real fight. I didn’t want to seem “difficult” or “spoiled.” At the time, that seemed like a fine idea, until I saw the payroll on the Internet and realized every man I was working with definitely didn’t worry about being “difficult” or “spoiled.”"

"I don’t think I’m the only woman with this issue. Are we socially conditioned to behave this way? We’ve only been able to vote for what, 90 years? I’m seriously asking — my phone is on the counter and I’m on the couch, so a calculator is obviously out of the question. Could there still be a lingering habit of trying to express our opinions in a certain way that doesn’t “offend” or “scare” men?"

"I don’t think I’ve ever worked for a man in charge who spent time contemplating what angle he should use to have his voice heard."

"Again, this might have NOTHING to do with my vagina, but I wasn’t completely wrong when another leaked Sony email revealed a producer referring to a fellow lead actress in a negotiation as a “spoiled brat.” For some reason, I just can’t picture someone saying that about a man."
View Quote

She should have stopped there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why is Lena Dunham even being mentioned? Literally nothing about the quote seems to relate to her...

View Quote

She wrote this in the Lena Letter
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure that was her?

Okay, I was wrong about the facial pics.  However, her massive collection of nudes still stand.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#46]
The way I see it, male actors tend to get type cast - but that is both good and bad, because they become the actor a director wants and movie goers expect for certain characters.  With very rare excptions, one pretty face and body is just as good as another for female characters.  I can only think of a few typecast female actors - and I can not think of a single time I went to a movie because they were in it.  (might watch one free on netflix however).  Angelina Jolie is pretty much the extreme I can think of as a type casted woman - but I guess there are a few other action adventure women out there.  Of course my favorites would have been mostly the cast of Buffy, but they all slowly got a life outside of Hollywood.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gosh, that's so rare among women.

EDIT: Post 14000. Yay.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, make over 300k and your 1%

With what she makes she's in the top .5%

Cry me a river.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah, come on over to the real world of work and it'll be much better for you, so long as you don't have a dick.

"My boyfriend said something mean so I'm going to hide in the
bathroom for a few hours with every other woman in the office for
'support', those pig men can do our work"

"That's in the job description but I'm a girl, will some sorry beta
pick up my slack, else face punishment for not being a 'team player'?"

"I don't feel like working today, I'll just call in with my 'woman problem' trump card even though I've used all my PTO days."

"No I can't work late or weekends, something something child"

"I can get anyone fired by pulling the sexual harassment card"

"I have to leave early to get my nails done pick up my child"

"I'm not at all qualified, but I'm pretty! Smell my resume"

Yeah, great times having all this male privilege where "single moms" who already won the child support lotto eat up most of the budget for annual raises because they "need it more" despite doing a fraction of the work male counterparts do, when they even bother to show up. They're also the last to be laid off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And the thing also seemed to be, she feels that she SHOULD have negotiated for more. Would the studios have paid more, had she asked for it? If she's valuable, probably. She says she was also mad at herself for not pushing for more.

The creative world can be complex. I am a big fan of classical and orchestral music, and I've realized that few of my favorite composers are women. Sure, singers, soloists, musicians are women, but not composers. Why is that? It's not because women aren't as "creative" or as "musical." I think it's in large part because we're so used composers being male. I'm used to it.

I've been reading about this in the art world. Even though most artists are liberal, how it's far more common for a male artist to get their art featured and sold in a fancy art gallery. Art schools have their fair share of female graduates, but why aren't these women getting as many art shows as men? Is it because men are more assertive? I think that has a lot to do with it. Is it because the gallery owners are more favorably inclined towards men? Perhaps, sometimes. Is it because all the men are more "talented"? (I do not believe that one! That's not been my observation at all.)

I think it happens for the same reason that I'm "used" to my favorite composers being men. Because that's how it "always" has been.

Whether or not there is some bias or unfairness in the case with Jennifer Lawrence, I don't know. But to think that nobody ever does this sort of thing anymore... I don't think that's the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taking gender out of it, if you found out that you were being paid far less than others around you that you KNEW were no more "valuable" than you, you'd be pissed.

Can you provide the numbers for the amount of failed male artists and composers? Maybe we could work out a ratio of successful men to failure men. Then we should also work on that same ratio for women.

In a broad overview, even with the starting condition that women as a whole are generally more artistic and creative, the size of the male pool is vastly larger than the female pool. Combine that with basic bell curve distribution and you have a situation were the top 1% of successful men(already a fraction of all men in the arts) is just a large pool then successful women in the arts. Basic statistics.

Absolutely there are biases everywhere, your post has several and I'm sure mine does as well. They are a factor as well. But they pale in comparison to effect that the pool size difference and random distribution has.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top