User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ok, so try this:

Don't change basic training or AIT:  All active component, Guard, and Reserve Soldiers train at the same facilities *initially*.

Train all officers at an active component OCS only-no individual state commissioning programs.  

Eliminate resident PME from the Regular Army, and send your active component Soldiers to ARNG schools.    

Crazy talk you say?  AGR instructor billets are very competitive from what I've seen-instructors are hand selected based on work ethic and other factors.  They're very good at what they do.  I can't speak for other states, but here in ID becoming an instructor isn't a vacation from the operating forces, since they work long hours and weeks without a break between classes.  The benefits would include reduced time in a compressed schedule to teach the same course material, reduced costs to send a student to the course, and a more competitive and challenging academic environment for the students.  

The idea isn't as far-fetched as some might think;  there was talk about eliminating M1A1 Master Gunner School from Ft. Benning (God, that sounds weird), and moving it to the ARNG as there's a reduced need for M1A1 "Mike Golfs" on active duty since the Army is fielding more M1A2 SEPs.  There's still a need, but just not as much as there used to be.  The Guard would be a good fit since the instructors and course material are of such high caliber.

With the economy as bad as it still is, the Guard can be very selective about who they pick for AGR.  High quality instructors make for high quality schools, which in turn make for a high quality product (the student).  Save money, generate better trained graduates, and expose active component Soldiers to the professional side of the National Guard.  I believe it would go to some length to dispel the notion that the Guard isn't committed to the mission, or is incapable of achieving a level of readiness the active component exists for.    

View Quote

Having commanded an RTI, I can get behind this.  Certainly for OCS

My standards for instructors were higher than active duty, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
8. A CiC who cares about this country.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not 100% sure we want the draft back.  After dealing with soldiers who had a huge chip on their shoulder because they were "tricked" by their recruiter into joining the infantry, I  can't imagine the discipline issues coming from modern American youths being forced into the military.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need the draft back. The ending of conscription has been a large part of the deterioration of American values in the last four decades.

I'm not 100% sure we want the draft back.  After dealing with soldiers who had a huge chip on their shoulder because they were "tricked" by their recruiter into joining the infantry, I  can't imagine the discipline issues coming from modern American youths being forced into the military.

Yeah, wow, no.

The draft should be implemented in time of total war or invasion of the homeland where our existing .mil isn't sufficient, because just drafting young MEN (should be women now, too, they's ranger now) makes for serious morale issues on the sharp end.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need the draft back. The ending of conscription has been a large part of the deterioration of American values in the last four decades.

There's no need for that level of manpower, either.

As the technology increases, the military will get even smaller per capita.  There's nowhere to put these draftees, unless the plan is to put all of them through basic/AIT and then register them for 8 years in the IRR.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, wow, no.

The draft should be implemented in time of total war or invasion of the homeland where our existing .mil isn't sufficient, because just drafting young MEN (should be women now, too, they's ranger now) makes for serious morale issues on the sharp end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, wow, no.

I was thinking more of a draft to keep force levels consistent and not of OMFGWTFBBQ war draft.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Definitely!!  That's just one of its many morale-boosting near-magical properties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What you really need are more bearskin hats.

would it make me look taller?

Definitely!!  That's just one of its many morale-boosting near-magical properties.

Is that some sort of scheme to help fatties make weight?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
sorry guys we are in debt over our heads. Congress has tied their hands with "mandatory social spending and Te gove doe not want massive riots from the masses they keep in  "entitlement slavery"

There are no threats (real one anyway) that a million man army is needed for, they money to feed all those who are made  and kept helpless by the gov has to some from somewhere (that which we don't borrow or manufacture outright)

so it will have to be you.

Sorry but that is they way it is.

We could save a but load closing all those Euro bases we don't need and let them take care of themselves.

In fact bring them all home and in out bases at home. However the allure of "travel and seeing the world" will affect recruitment I am sure.

regardless we really don't have the need or the cash
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol.

Forced servitude is not an American ideal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
That should be #1

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I was assured by a portly gentleman in woodland camo at a gun store that the first stage in arresting the moral decline of our Army was to re-issue the M14 rifle and 1911 pistol. This simple change would swap out a "PC poodleshooter Mattel rifle" with a "real man's weapon." Its legendary iron sights would transform all of those guys who can't hit a silhouette at 200 m with an ACOG into true marksmen capable of dropping Taliban at 600 yards. The 1911's recoil and power would instantly make a man out of the various sissies and liberals that infest the ranks. Small arms are, after all, definitely the single most important factor on the modern battlefield.

</sarcasm off>
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Deck chairs, Titanic....
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#12]
In to be sure the "a new CiC" got covered. Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was thinking more of a draft to keep force levels consistent and not of OMFGWTFBBQ war draft.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, wow, no.

They're trying to CUT force levels...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#14]
What about F35s though?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What about F35s though?
View Quote

Or Super Tucs
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#16]
15. More dosages of potassium nitrate in BCT!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or Super Tucs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about F35s though?

Or Super Tucs

Arguably equally a waste of money.

Only one wastes a whole lot more money.

won't someone think of the contractors?  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How about we just pull our military out of everything else and bring them all home, spend the money here, spend all that savings on stacking deep and new tech designs.  Speak softly with a big stick.

IMO they would be much more useful on our Southern border than they are for example in SK DMZ.
View Quote

If it's not forward deployed, it's not a big stick.  Can't have it both ways.  But anyway, the big stick TR was referencing was a powerful Navy, which is appropriate for the sea-going mercantilist nation that we are.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Association of the U.S. Army opens its annual three-day symposium and exposition today with deep concerns about the future of America’s Army.   first this is like the armies union they are kind full of shit

1. We must stop the drop in Army force strength, at least until we have consensus on what needs to be done and how many soldiers this will take.   wrong dropping force streanth is fine we need to release those close to retirment or those mid careers who want out.  
2. We need budget stability. We need a reasonable five-year defense plan that the Army and its industry partners can trust, without gimmicks and without fear of sequestration.   why should the armies budget be special from everyone else  this is a total unicorn fart request
3. We must believe—not just say—that active, National Guard and Army Reserve soldiers are equal partners on the One Army team.   no way in hell is a ranger or an 101st/82nd trooper  or 3rd ID tankergonna say they are equal to a nasty guard part timer  
4. Rotational deployments to Europe, Asia, and other locations, and rotations to the National Training Center, need to be fully supported and, if possible, expanded because a smaller Army has to work harder at being a global presence.   WTF why rotate at NTC that place sucks ass 2-3 weeks is long enough there, and how is going to California going to help our global presence.  ? we have no bases in Europe besides Italy & its too small for heavy rotation.  & the guard cannot participate in such rotations so this voids goal3
5. The Army needs money to experiment on weapons, because innovation and technological breakthroughs are the future of the force.    bull shit the army needs to spend more time on training privates to most effectivley use what we have & maintaib that equipment correctly. the newcrap is all broken or will never get used google WAM landm ine you'll see
6. We have to mean it when we say we support the troops.   more crappy feel good BS give the servicemen appropriate raises as needed I and stop trying to jail servicemen for beating rapist, & stop releasing terrorist weve jailed.
7. Partisan bickering on national security policy has to stop.  
View Quote
View Quote
   unicorn farts again  this is hokum

The army needs nothing more than a real ROE if anything about 10 more c130 gunships to support our guys.  

it can do this on its existing bloated budget  why in the hell is recruiting sponsoring NASCAR just one of many I can think of.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If it's not forward deployed, it's not a big stick.  Can't have it both ways.  But anyway, the big stick TR was referencing was a powerful Navy, which is appropriate for the sea-going mercantilist nation that we are.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about we just pull our military out of everything else and bring them all home, spend the money here, spend all that savings on stacking deep and new tech designs.  Speak softly with a big stick.

IMO they would be much more useful on our Southern border than they are for example in SK DMZ.

we have not had much presence on the DMZsince w Bush shut most of it down his 2nd term souel maybe but the DMZ is relatively empty as far as US troops are concerned.  I was there in 99 we had 30,000  within 20 miles of the DMZ  we now have 28, 500 mostly centered around souel or Pusan bush shut down thecamps in the western corridor.  probably a good thing IMO.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

won't someone think of the contractors industry partners?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about F35s though?

Or Super Tucs

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

and their children.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about F35s though?

Or Super Tucs

won't someone think of the contractors?  

and their children.

And Oakley.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Kids should want to grow up to be soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines, not football/baseball/basketball players or video game designers. Our Gov and the lack of trust in it, are killing our military and our best athletes play with balls instead of being the super heroes our country needs. Not saying everyone should be forced to join, but they would want to if they trusted their leaders and their Gov.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#25]

The Association of the U.S. Army opens its annual three-day symposium and exposition today with deep concerns about the future of America’s Army.

1. We must stop the drop in Army force strength, at least until we have consensus on what needs to be done and how many soldiers this will take.
2. We need budget stability. We need a reasonable five-year defense plan that the Army and its industry partners can trust, without gimmicks and without fear of sequestration.
3. We must believe—not just say—that active, National Guard and Army Reserve soldiers are equal partners on the One Army team.
4. Rotational deployments to Europe, Asia, and other locations, and rotations to the National Training Center, need to be fully supported and, if possible, expanded because a smaller Army has to work harder at being a global presence.
5. The Army needs money to experiment on weapons, because innovation and technological breakthroughs are the future of the force.
6. We have to mean it when we say we support the troops.
7. Partisan bickering on national security policy has to stop
View Quote
View Quote

1. Stop with Multiculturalistic bullshit in the Army, it is a complete failure
2. We must stop believing that everyone is equal when using different testing measures
3. We must reduce being a global presence and increase our national presence to protect and serve the people of the united states not foreign interest
4.  We need to focus on warfighting and sack every general thats only goal is metrics (measures of faggotry)
5. We must return to being a lean mean fighting machine, reintroduce the Audi Murphy assault courses, enforce the PT standards, do away with PC bullshit
6.  Remove all non-military forces from the military.  They suck our budget dry, they make us weak, and make us a partisan force.
7.  Remove all Muslims from Service, introduce a real Army Force Protection Policy that enforces killing the Enemy
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kids should want to grow up to be soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines, not football/baseball/basketball players or video game designers. Our Gov and the lack of trust in it, are killing our military and our best athletes play with balls instead of being the super heroes our country needs. Not saying everyone should be forced to join, but they would want to if they trusted their leaders and their Gov.
View Quote

Part of the problem is The U.S. of A. is slowly turning to something not worth fighting for. Plus the social experiment the .mil is turning into I'm sure turns some of them away.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#27]
You're getting new camouflage, at least you got that going for you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Decommission 2 heavy divisions to pay for 12 F-35s.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Part of the problem is The U.S. of A. is slowly turning to something not worth fighting for. Plus the social experiment the .mil is turning into I'm sure turns some of them away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

would you fight and die for Chicago?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not trying to, they are, and they will get cut further.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about F35s though?

Or Super Tucs

Super Tucs would have the advantage of "fact finding" tours and "familiarization training" in Brazil during the Northern Hemisphere winter months while getting sweet per diem.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Option A, you paid a gazillion dollars and get to bang supermodels.

Option B, you have to pawn your rims after your dependapotumus empties your accounts with the general POA you left her with.

I'm not sure "trust in their leaders and their gov" is what makes option A more attractive.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Fact finding tours? Secret Service style?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Fact finding tours? Secret Service style?
View Quote
I'm pretty sure banging or being banged by Brazilian trannies enjoys bipartisan support inside the Beltway.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What you really need are more bearskin hats.

Imagine how many could pass ht/wt with those things.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

2. We must stop believing that everyone is equal when using different testing measures
3. We must reduce being a global presence and increase our national presence to protect and serve the people of the united states not foreign interest
4.  We need to focus on warfighting and sack every general thats only goal is metrics (measures of faggotry)
5. We must return to being a lean mean fighting machine, reintroduce the Audi Murphy assault courses, enforce the PT standards, do away with PC bullshit
6.  Remove all non-military forces from the military.  They suck our budget dry, they make us weak, and make us a partisan force.
7.  Remove all Muslims from Service, introduce a real Army Force Protection Policy that enforces killing the Enemy
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Association of the U.S. Army opens its annual three-day symposium and exposition today with deep concerns about the future of America’s Army.

1. We must stop the drop in Army force strength, at least until we have consensus on what needs to be done and how many soldiers this will take.
2. We need budget stability. We need a reasonable five-year defense plan that the Army and its industry partners can trust, without gimmicks and without fear of sequestration.
3. We must believe—not just say—that active, National Guard and Army Reserve soldiers are equal partners on the One Army team.
4. Rotational deployments to Europe, Asia, and other locations, and rotations to the National Training Center, need to be fully supported and, if possible, expanded because a smaller Army has to work harder at being a global presence.
5. The Army needs money to experiment on weapons, because innovation and technological breakthroughs are the future of the force.
6. We have to mean it when we say we support the troops.
7. Partisan bickering on national security policy has to stop

8. Create new "Fantasyland" where this becomes possible.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9. The Army Values must not just be taught, they must be followed.

Honesty is an Army value

Beat me to it by a mile.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Splitting hairs.  While you're correct, it didn't require a post.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You thought the administration had some vested interest in STOPPING illegal immigration?

My friend, they want to INCREASE it as much as possible.

How else will they destroy traditional American culture and usher in a new era of Marxism?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You thought the administration had some vested interest in STOPPING illegal immigration?

My friend, they want to INCREASE it as much as possible.

How else will they destroy traditional American culture and usher in a new era of Marxism?

it's all about the electoral college. Illegals get counted in the census. you get more representatives and electoral votes when you have more illegals. That they are being sent to democrat states tells you all you need to know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#40]
All of these seven "needs" amount to one thing: they want more money.

Part of the Army's mission should be to live within its budget, and make the best of it. Defense budgets are set by national consensus (taking into account all national needs) and not by a particular service's wish list. Because we have civilian control, defense budgets are set by our elected representatives, and not by the military brass.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#41]
1. More MRE Poundcake.

2. Declare US Domestic bases as sovereign Federal property which means PX pricing for liquor/cigarettes for everybody.  Plus casinos, of course.  What happens on Benning stays on Benning.

3. Casual Dress Fridays.

4. Suck Pay.  The more it sucks, the more it pays.

5. Corporate sponsorship of naming rights.  FOBs, Tanks, Humvees, etc.  It is all fun and games until the Bud Light® M1 Abrams levels your village.  

6. MRE Pizza that is good.  It can be done.  If we can go to the Moon we can make MRE Pizza.  Put in self-chilling beer and you got yourself one hell of an MRE.

7. Bearskin hats.  They are awesome even if they probably get itchy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
1. More MRE Poundcake.

2. Declare US Domestic bases as sovereign Federal property which means PX pricing for liquor/cigarettes for everybody.  Plus casinos, of course.  What happens on Benning stays on Benning.

3. Casual Dress Fridays.

5. Corporate sponsorship of naming rights.  FOBs, Tanks, Humvees, etc.  It is all fun and games until the Bud Light® M1 Abrams levels your village.  

6. MRE Pizza that is good.  It can be done.  If we can go to the Moon we can make MRE Pizza.  Put in self-chilling beer and you got yourself one hell of an MRE.

View Quote

Hell, I'd re-up for that!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
1. More MRE Poundcake.

3. Casual Dress Fridays.

View Quote

Cheesebeast for Chairman of the Joint Chiefs!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#44]
The US Army: an HR department that occasionally kills people.
Quoted:
1. More MRE Poundcake.

3. Casual Dress Fridays.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1. More MRE Poundcake.

3. Casual Dress Fridays.

View Quote

Number 4 has been in place for decades.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Beat me to it by a mile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9. The Army Values must not just be taught, they must be followed.

Honesty is an Army value

Beat me to it by a mile.

I understand the culture/bureaucracy that breeds this paradox, however, it does not mean that I am or ever was ok with it.
While it may be very naive to believe this situation would actually change within the higher/lower echelons of Army leadership,  I will always despise that the honor that should exist has been replaced with honor among thieves.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#47]
FPNI

Number 8 should be number 1.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Said one officer to another.....

"What did they get you with?"

"I can't make sense of it.  All my SHARP training was up to date, boxes were all checked.  They said something about combat readiness and ARTEP?"

"I've heard of SHARP.  What's ARTEP?"

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All of these seven "needs" amount to one thing: they want more money.

Part of the Army's mission should be to live within its budget, and make the best of it. Defense budgets are set by national consensus (taking into account all national needs) and not by a particular service's wish list. Because we have civilian control, defense budgets are set by our elected representatives, and not by the military brass.
View Quote

Part of the problem is that the DoD budget is not just about national defense, it's a jobs program.

As a general rule the service doesn't get the choice to live within it's means, as they are forced to keep unnecessary bases and equipment lines operational to appease home districts.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is that the DoD budget is not just about national defense, it's a jobs program.

As a general rule the service doesn't get the choice to live within it's means, as they are forced to keep unnecessary bases and equipment lines operational to appease home districts.

View Quote

Nor are the services allowed to set compensation.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top