Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck, I'm spending way too much time in the doctor or dentist office.

Every time I think I'll have a little extra money... wham!!! You need a procedure!

Obamacare is taking care of it though, I no longer think about having extra money.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm 47 too. The "life is short" feeling has really kicked in.

Even just a few years ago I did not feel this way.

My health is great and in some ways I feel as good as twenty years ago.

The years are rolling by and I can really feel it mentally and emotionally.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I am feeling this at 39.  I'm overbooked, day job which is 50h a week, 6-9h a week teaching at the local trade school, two bands, and my own sound and production business which works most Friday and Saturday nights.  Plus married.  Plus 30 minute commute.  Plus an hour a day at the gym.

The last 6 years have quite literally been a blur.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm about halfway between 45 and 46. I Feel the same way about this as some of you guys. One of my biggest regrets is not finishing my bachelors degree 21 years ago.. Two associate degrees don't mean squat. I am in a career that is basically dead end, but I can't afford to quit and go back to school even part time.
I can't find another job that pays me what I get paid now and taking a pay cut is not an option.
Have two great kids from a previous marriage and 4 great kids that came with the current marriage. I have a wife who I trust to the moon and back.

I find myself trying to escape it all now by hanging out with friends. The kids are all 14 and older and doing great, but I still am with them when they need me or other times.
Few hints of advice:
Get an education. Get 2 so you have something to fall back on.
Avoid married women. If they cheat on their husbands, they will cheat on you.
Do not buy or give money to other women no matter how bad you feel for them.
Love your kids! Even if they are not yours and Come with a marriage package.
Invest in a small patch of land out in the sticks away from the city. Make a small patio and escape there when stress sets in.
If you see something you really like and can afford it, buy it. It might not be there when you go back.
Love your parents and spend time with them no matter how much you may hate them. You wouldn't exist here without them.

I know what I'm feeling will soon pass, but it's hard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I try as hard as humanly possible to live in the moment, this moment, right here, right now. At the age of 49, this discipline above all others seems to have alleviated a good bit my existential angst.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Just got a text , an old friends wife passed away last night suddenly, havent talked to him in quite some time , but it does put things in perspective! She was probably 58/59 .
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because for many years I was caught up in the party scene...wasn't into it as heavy as some and since in those days my main interest was playing music I landed there by default.  Thankfully those days are behind me.

Days are already broken up pretty well...not much more I can do at this point but make the most of every single moment.

Sleeping later...no thanks.  I like to stick to a strict schedule...bed by 9:30 at the latest.  Wakey wake at 430 at the latest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yolo.

Has some limited accuracy to it.

Yup....

The past few years I've made it a point to rid my life of the slackers the do nothing's, and those with the party mentality.  I've also gotten myself into the best shape of my life..now I need to get to work on my bucket list.

Why did you wait so long to trim the fat?  I'm 29 and ive already been through the thinning process at least twice.

It feels like it's slipping by because you can't differentiate between days.  Break up your routine and you'll feel better.  That's certainly easier said than done, just start small.  Sleep later, or wale up earlier, maybe take a jog or eat a real breakfast.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Because for many years I was caught up in the party scene...wasn't into it as heavy as some and since in those days my main interest was playing music I landed there by default.  Thankfully those days are behind me.

Days are already broken up pretty well...not much more I can do at this point but make the most of every single moment.

Sleeping later...no thanks.  I like to stick to a strict schedule...bed by 9:30 at the latest.  Wakey wake at 430 at the latest.

The music part is what keeps me attached to some folks with less than stellar ambitions and goals.  Can't help it, I enjoy my bar band which makes money and I'm a musician to the core so the deathcore band that gets to play major cities with major bands in our genre still gets my dick hard.  I can't imagine an existence without it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm 66 and have a lot left to do.

You guys need a fucking attitude adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
47 next month and I cannot beleive I have been out of college for twenty four years, where did the time go.
Who doesn't miss the care free days of summer as a kid.
Someone needs to invent a reset button, and everyone gets one chance to hit it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
47 next month and I cannot beleive I have been out of college for twenty four years, where did the time go.
Who doesn't miss the care free days of summer as a kid.
Someone needs to invent a reset button, and everyone gets one chance to hit it.
View Quote

I don't know that I want to reset my life...I'd just like some way to make sure there was going to be a lot more of it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Best thread I've ever read here, and I've been here along time.

I had to quit high school at 16 and go to work. I took my oldest to the University of Cincinnati for his first year, man I wish I could have attended  a University.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im 56 and going thru a bit of the blues
View Quote

At 56 I took up the most dangerous, complicated, challenging, and expensive "hobby" I've ever attempted.

Horses.  

They're not for everyone but they've become the passion of my life.

There is hope Midnite.......
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm 60 and it seems like I was 40 a couple years ago.
It sucks being in the twilight of my life.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anymore I am simply amazed with how fast the years are going by, this year especially.  

No long thread on this one...but I'll just say that at 47 y/o, it feels like I have very little time left with where I'll be blessed with good health and am able to get out and do things with any degree of ease..
View Quote

I, too, am 47 and I feel the exact same way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Dammit, I'm in the gastroenterologist office for some esophageal problems and they want to do a rectal exam. Just bring me a walker and some geritol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not here for a long time......I'm here for a good time.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Live fast, die fast

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Stahp!! Y'all are bringing me down. 47 in November.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I'm coming up on a 40th high-school reunion.  It's hard to comprehend.

But I'm not dead yet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Yesterday was my 64th birthday. My son and I leave Friday for our annual mule deer hunt. I will attempt to do what I can to slow those 12 days down as much as possible.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I never expected to make it past 23.

But here I am

Thankful to God for everyday.

Did I mention I'm loosing hair and it greying.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since all you old dudes are in here.

Any advice for a 23yr old?
View Quote

. Yes. Get off my lawn.  .   57
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Think I'm going to log off arfcom for a while. This place is awesome but this thread makes me want to go all in with a hobby like fishing and see how good I can get.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#26]
31. not sure how i got here already
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep, I doubled down. '14 Vette ragtop last year and a '15 Challenger Hellcat this year. Just turned 56. I don't have the patience or time to build a beauty like that Cobra though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 43 in a few days, and that is why I built this 2 years ago:

<a href="http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/thorshammerblow2/media/image2_zpsrsivxiy6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af184/thorshammerblow2/image2_zpsrsivxiy6.jpg</a>

Yep, I doubled down. '14 Vette ragtop last year and a '15 Challenger Hellcat this year. Just turned 56. I don't have the patience or time to build a beauty like that Cobra though.

Thanks.  I've been contemplating buying a 72ish corvette that needs a little tlc and fix it up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll be 39 this year and I'm doing exactly what I want in life. No woman (although I would like a good one to enter my life), no kids and a couple of dogs. I travel to cool places, spend when I want on what I want, and have a good gig going.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I feel your pain OP.  I just had a surgery that has left me with what might be permanent nerve damage to my right leg and foot.  It's difficult to walk and almost impossible to put on a shoe.  I guess that Elk hunt out west, skiing trip to Europe, etc. etc./ are all out the window.

I'm not going to feel too sorry for myself though.  I know there are folks in much worse shape than me, possibly even facing dying so I'll count my blessing that I wake up every day.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm 33. I feel old as shit. Crazy wife, no kids(Thank God, but mostly for the sake of the previous).

Guys, when does the out of control ear and eyebrow hair start? I'm not looking forward to that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I was feeling this way.  Then I had another child.  

Life has slowed WAY down!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm 33. I feel old as shit. Crazy wife, no kids(Thank God, but mostly for the sake of the previous).

Guys, when does the out of control ear and eyebrow hair start? I'm not looking forward to that.
View Quote

You've got maybe a year at most.  You can either give in or keep that shit at bay.  

I'm only 34 and my hair is already turning white.  Oh well, at least I'm not balding.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You've got maybe a year at most.  You can either give in or keep that shit at bay.  

I'm only 34 and my hair is already turning white.  Oh well, at least I'm not balding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ear hair didn't even start to grow at all till a couple years ago...maybe 45.  I trim it with my electric razor's clippers when I shave and it's no big deal.  Same with my eyebrows.  49 here and just a few, very hard to see gray hairs...and a full head of hair too.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#34]
G
Quoted:

At 56 I took up the most dangerous, complicated, challenging, and expensive "hobby" I've ever attempted.

Horses.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im 56 and going thru a bit of the blues

Horses.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I regret letting my prime years, mid twenties, late twenties, escape while sitting on my ass all day and night getting fat.  If any of you 23 year old are becoming fat slobs, well fucking shame on you.  Use it or lose it.  And it only gets harder as you get older.

1.  Wake up.
2.  Crush shit.
3.  Repeat.

Don't wait until you're in your mid thirties to reclaim your manhood.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I am almost 49 and I feel exactly the same way.    It keeps me up at night.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#37]
wow,2 older Guy threads 2day.

Very surprised  many are my age +.

Live your moments well and do well by others

Cherish family and friends,they do no last forever,we will not either, so make your time count.

Find and enjoy.

You are not a slave,nor are you a mindreader.

We have no idea of the time of our "Calling"

But it has been a hoot so far,even with the "setbacks"

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Not yet 40 and can't believe how quick the months have gone, let alone the seasons and years...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#39]
You're like a roll of toilet paper, the older it gets, the faster it goes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#40]
45 years old here, and I'm amazed at how quickly my perception of time has sped up.  I once asked my mother if it ever went back, and slowed down after retirement or when you have less responsibilities, she said, no and that her father's reply was the same.

This, of course, prompts the question, if time is slipping by at an ever increasing speed as we get closer to the end of our lives, why do old people drive so slow?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
if time is slipping by at an ever increasing speed as we get closer to the end of our lives, why do old people drive so slow?
View Quote

They're trying to slow time?

Or maybe it's what they grew up with.  I remember the speed limit on highways and interstates being 55 when I was a kid, so my parents had that or possibly even slower until they were well into their 40s.  My dad is the worst when it comes to driving though, he won't run a green light, stops at all intersections regardless of who has the right of way, never goes over 55, etc.  He was in a pretty bad wreck in his 20s though, crushed his entire chest cavity, declared DOA, would've been permanent but there was a doctor driving behind him that was able to do an emergency tracheotomy.

There was an old guy in my hometown that used to put around in an old Buick landship.  He never got over 5 mph on the straightaways, but as soon as he started to turn he'd floor the accelerator and whip around the turn just to immediately slam on the brakes and slow back down to a crawl.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get laid as often as you can.

Preferably by the womens
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Your dad and his friends shared a gift with you, camaraderie.  Are you going to just let it die with you?  You're the old guy now, time to find someone younger to take hunting and fishing with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me it started getting like that after Dad passed. I was 54 when he passed. We did everything together (hunt, fish, etc) and for the most part his friends (of his age or older) were my friends. Now most all of them are dead or getting there in a hurry.  

I used to live to hunt and fish but now since everyone I did those things with are gone or had to quit due to health I find myself not really giving a shit if I ever kill another deer and mostly just squirrel hunt now.

Oh I still never miss opening day but it's not the same anymore with no old friends left that hunt to share the experience with. I just sorta go through the motions. Go to my stand, sit a while, kill a deer, and tote it home to process it. Meh.

I know it's all part of getting older (in my 60s now) but it still sucks to find that stuff that meant a lot to me just ten years ago no longer do.  

On the bright side I find I have more time and money to devote to messing with guns so there's that.

Your dad and his friends shared a gift with you, camaraderie.  Are you going to just let it die with you?  You're the old guy now, time to find someone younger to take hunting and fishing with you.

I did the mentoring thing years ago but one guy died of the cancer young and the other went through a nasty divorce and moved away but at least he's getting back on his feet and slaying them in a adjoining state. He calls around this time of year. He turned out to be quite the hunter.

I just own my own little hunting/fishing/range place now and it's hardly big enough for me and as I have 0 desire to deal with leases (much less public land) anymore I'll just have to be content with my memories. That's not a bad thing as they were damn good ones. I just miss those that have passed.

Heck, I'm well on my way to another 100 squirrel season so warts and all life is still pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wear sunscreen.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I did the mentoring thing years ago but one guy died of the cancer young and the other went through a nasty divorce and moved away but at least he's getting back on his feet and slaying them in a adjoining state. He calls around this time of year. He turned out to be quite the hunter.

I just own my own little hunting/fishing/range place now and it's hardly big enough for me and as I have 0 desire to deal with leases (much less public land) anymore I'll just have to be content with my memories. That's not a bad thing as they were damn good ones. I just miss those that have passed.

Heck, I'm well on my way to another 100 squirrel season so warts and all life is still pretty darn good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me it started getting like that after Dad passed. I was 54 when he passed. We did everything together (hunt, fish, etc) and for the most part his friends (of his age or older) were my friends. Now most all of them are dead or getting there in a hurry.  

I used to live to hunt and fish but now since everyone I did those things with are gone or had to quit due to health I find myself not really giving a shit if I ever kill another deer and mostly just squirrel hunt now.

Oh I still never miss opening day but it's not the same anymore with no old friends left that hunt to share the experience with. I just sorta go through the motions. Go to my stand, sit a while, kill a deer, and tote it home to process it. Meh.

I know it's all part of getting older (in my 60s now) but it still sucks to find that stuff that meant a lot to me just ten years ago no longer do.  

On the bright side I find I have more time and money to devote to messing with guns so there's that.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I moved to Florida in my early 40's.  It's awesome.  Nothing makes you feel young more than being the youngest guy for miles around.  

It has been interesting getting to know my neighbors in their 60's, 70's and 80's.  It made me realize I wasn't living enough while I could, and I did make some radical changes in my life in the last 2 years.  It's tough watching the good people that surround me die off, or even worse - stop doing the things they enjoy because they physically can't any more.  It's been a good reminder to have balance and do fun things now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
My best advice for the youngish guys out there:

Don't "plan" on your future, 10, 20, 30 years distant.

That's exactly what I did.

I worked my arse off for 30 years.  Wife and three kids.  I've been self employed for every one of those
30 years, (actually 33 years).  Being self employed it was not only necessary but enjoyable to work 15 to 18 hour days.

Didn't see my kids grow up.  Would finish work "early" to catch the tail end of my daughters recital or game and show
up at 8:00 when it started at 6 or 7.

Cut out on Thanksgiving and Christmas a little after noon to go back to work.

I did all of this so my Wife and I could "retire" comfortably.

Well lemme tell ya......... My wife bailed and I only really know one of my kids. (thankfully she works with me).

ENJOY TODAY, for you may not have the "tomorrow" that you are so fervently planning for.

If I could do it over again I would keep my work schedule to 9 or 10 hours per day, 5 or 6 days per week.  I would have spent
far more time with my kids and WIFE then, instead of planning the glorious "future" that my Wife and I would enjoy.

Hindsight is 20/20 and is sucks the big one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#48]
45 here and the past 10 years went by at warp speed.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I can relate,..Getting ready to "Live" life , start over and enjoy the rest of it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I turn 40 in December bye bye 30s.

You are right OP life is going by quickly...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top