Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/13/2015 1:56:07 AM EDT
A distant friend on FB is talking about going to HR over an ass chewing he received after screwing up at work.  Seems a bit petty, IMO.  Having been on both sides, I know what its like when an underling does something retarded and causes me a lot of trouble.  I also know what its like to do something really, really stupid and win an ass chewing.  It's not that big of a deal.  Just suck it up and don't do anything stupid again.

But just to be clear- I'm not talking about working for a perpetual screamer.  Those bosses suck at being a boss and should be kicked in the nuts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#1]
It should be acceptable but there is no proper management in place to do the ass-chewing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Pajama boy is a pretty accurate representation of the average American male these days in my experience.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Common where I work. No one bats an eye other than to laugh about it. Because you have to do some stupid shit for it to occur.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It should be acceptable but there is no proper management in place to do the ass-chewing.
View Quote

Boom.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  Is this about your employer specifically, or are you trying to say that fuck-ups don't happen if management is competent?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Once upon a time, at least in most "blue collar" jobs, an ass chewing was considered acceptable as a corrective action as long as it was deserved.... and if it wasn't deserved, well, suck it up or find a different job.

These days, for the most part when dealing with those in their 30s or younger, it is no longer considered acceptable.  Coincidentally, this is also about the time when "self-esteem" became kind of a big deal and everybody became unique and special.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
People who have to scream for any reason to get a point across aren't cut out for leading anyone. All that shows is poor self control and lack of communication skills. Similar to people who curse a lot
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Ass chewings are perfectly acceptable. They are often deserved.

Ideally, the situation should have been adressed or corrected before the ass chewing occurs, but it rarely works that way in the real world. People go full retard, and the company's profitability is a fragile balance that holds no room for full retard antics.

Suck it up, get over it, and don't do stupid shit. That's how ass chewings are avoided. I learned that lesson. Now that everyone gets a trophy, and HR is as good as god, this lesson will soon be ancient history.

Snowflakes gonna snowflake.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
People who have to scream for any reason to get a point across aren't cut out for leading anyone. All that shows is poor self control and lack of communication skills. Similar to people who curse a lot
View Quote

Why would you imagine there is screaming involved in a dressing down?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I work in a place where there are 10-30 ton dies being moved overhead constantly and half of the people on the floor seems to be in their own little world half the time.

I don't think there is enough ass chewings being handed out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that's how most people give an "ass chewing". I'm sure you don't though, so because of that, my whole point is invalid
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:24:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Where I work a couple of people were relieved of their duties due to "ass chewings" of their subordinates.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:24:38 AM EDT
[#14]
If someone is in some shit, they get talked to in person. Ass chewings and stern warnings are accepted but not public. It never escalates to yelling though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, but depending on the person you'd better not cuss or make any personal remarks that could be deemed offensive, or they'll go crying to HR.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Always was with me.
If it was an ass chewing, that meant it was a screw up that wouldn't result in a written record.

I could always do the "yessir, nosir" better than take paper!

Of course, once I was a supervisor, I always had ONE in the bunch that could never take it, they always ended up screwing them selves by needing to take it to the next higher up.

Never saw such a bunch of snitch them self off idiots.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:28:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

I can give an ass chewing on anything work related from poor performance to personal hygiene without having to raise my voice or resort to cursing.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because he's been yelled at once or twice in his life for fucking up.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess I don't work in such a pussified environment, though I know they exist. Worked in one for many years.

Take your ass chewing, learn from it, take the ragging that follows.

Bunch of fucking babbies. Feels hurt, unjust!

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I work in the auto industry, which may just be one of the only industries where you can be nose to nose with your boss and tell him "fuck you" to his face and not get fired.  I know my worth and will have another job by sundown...  The question is, "can you afford to fire me?"

When everyone you work with has an A-type personality, heated arguments and threats of physical violence is just part of doing business

Fuck you, pay me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I can give an ass chewing on anything work related from poor performance to personal hygiene without having to raise my voice or resort to cursing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If "ass chewings" don't involve raising of voices or cursing, then why the need for this discussion as to whether they are acceptable or not?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I think they are acceptable when applied consistently and correctly. Nothing I hate worse than taking a chewing for something after watching another person get away with something much worse.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:34:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Always was with me.
If it was an ass chewing, that meant it was a screw up that wouldn't result in a written record.

I could always do the "yessir, nosir" better than take paper!

Of course, once I was a supervisor, I always had ONE in the bunch that could never take it, they always ended up screwing them selves by needing to take it to the next higher up.

Never saw such a bunch of snitch them self off idiots.
View Quote

Yes!  I do think the unofficial discipline of old is much better than the beaurocratic nonsense we see today.  But I know why it has to be done in the age of lawyers and HR.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I work in the auto industry, which may just be one of the only industries where you can be nose to nose with your boss and tell him "fuck you" to his face and not get fired.  I know my worth and will have another job by sundown...  The question is, "can you afford to fire me?"

When everyone you work with has an A-type personality, heated arguments and threats of physical violence is just part of doing business

Fuck you, pay me.
View Quote

What portion of the auto industry?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, pay me.

Sales.

ETA:  Being aggressive and having thick skin are both must haves if you want to succeed there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:39:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, pay me.

Sales.

Ahh, ok. Never would fly in the engineering side of the auto industry
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:40:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Once upon a time, at least in most "blue collar" jobs, an ass chewing was considered acceptable as a corrective action as long as it was deserved.... and if it wasn't deserved, well, suck it up or find a different job.

These days, for the most part when dealing with those in their 30s or younger, it is no longer considered acceptable.  Coincidentally, this is also about the time when "self-esteem" became kind of a big deal and everybody became unique and special.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth?

Our director of ops is a 24 year old girl fresh out of college. Her underling ops manager is 28 years old and just came out of, I don't know, Disneyland or something. He is a nice kid, but he likes to jackass around and play too much. Those of us working to keep the wheels turning, don't have time for that.
So we've got Hansel and Gretel driving the bus. Now, these kids are pretty well educated and smart, but quite honestly, they just don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. They don't understand the concept of that dirty four letter word...WORK. Their "special skills" involve conference calls and feel good meetings.

Now with that said, a good old ass chewing just doesn't happen around here. Can't have any hurt feelings. The old ops director hollered and screamed a LOT, but he damn sure never did at me. Of course I was old enough to be his dad too.

They tend not to mess with the mechanics much, mostly because they damn sure couldn't fix the problem.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I work in healthcare and it is considered to be very unprofessional to give someone an "ass chewing" in front of others.

This less because of hurting someone's feelings and more about maintaining team cohesion. If someone has an issue with someone else they can take it somewhere private and hash out their issue without essentially involving the entire team.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, pay me.

Sales.

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine that flying too well at a more corporate level.  Down at our level, if you go to HR over an ass chewing, you're fired within the week.  Is what it is and you learn that pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:54:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Wise and seasoned HR Staff now frown upon it; all the years of Litigation and lawsuits, for "butt hurt" has now made the practice a rare occurrence in the modern corporation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:55:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Got exactly one ass chewing, from a prick that was notorious for screaming his point across. I just smiled, got up, walked out, and went in for my check the next day. Ignored him while I waited for it. Cashed the check at the bank, had another job the next day, and life went on. By the time I got home, he'd left two messages. On his third attempt, I answered. Wanted to know "what my fucking problem is". Told him it was him, and that the asshole act didn't impress me one bit. C'est la vie.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:55:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I work for the government. It is inhabited by special snowflakes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I work in healthcare and it is considered to be very unprofessional to give someone an "ass chewing" in front of others.

This less because of hurting someone's feelings and more about maintaining team cohesion. If someone has an issue with someone else they can take it somewhere private and hash out their issue without essentially involving the entire team.

View Quote
This. For almost all cases it should be done in private. I had one boss as a youth that chewed me out in front of the whole restaurant and slid a full sheet pan right out of the oven down the counter. I let it fly past me and walked out and came back a week later to pickup my check. I actually took the job back and later quit again after a similar encounter. A boss that cant handle stress and lashes out is a crappy boss.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where I work a couple of people were relieved of their duties due to "ass chewings" of their subordinates.

View Quote

I could see this happening where I work.  It's probably why we have so many stupid, lazy people here who are just collecting a paycheck.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I always calmly explain what is required for the job and where the gaps are.  I haven't had to fire someone in over twenty years.  They always quit on their own.  No yelling or anger required.z
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#37]
In my 90 minutes of management experience I learned they were a waste of time in my profession.  

Disciplinary action existed only to set a paper trail for termination.  If someone screwed up so bad as to want to yell at them, what I really wanted to do is fire them.   Because of attorneys and laws that can be expensive so we had a long process of disciplinary action so that the eventual termination was well supported and legally bullet proof.  The employee needing to be in the disciplinary meeting was largely immaterial beyond saying "we said fix this X # of times, you didn't, here's your check and the door"

Getting all heated means you're taking it personal, it's not personal.  We're talking about selling shoes or putting up houses, not crossing the Rhine.  Business is easy if you let it be.

I don't miss that job

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#38]
It would involve working for someone I respected enough to let them stand there and scream at me.

So, in the modern corporate world of today, not gonna happen in most cases.

Most of the management I come across are not exactly Sergeant Major material.

I have worked for people (male and female) I'd take an ass chewing from, but not for a while. I can't even imagine it with my current boss. She's fine, we  get along, but no.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A distant friend on FB is talking about going to HR over an ass chewing he received after screwing up at work.  Seems a bit petty, IMO.  Having been on both sides, I know what its like when an underling does something retarded and causes me a lot of trouble.  I also know what its like to do something really, really stupid and win an ass chewing.  It's not that big of a deal.  Just suck it up and don't do anything stupid again.

But just to be clear- I'm not talking about working for a perpetual screamer.  Those bosses suck at being a boss and should be kicked in the nuts.
View Quote

Depends on the person I guess. People screw up occasionally.

It very much depends on what the boss is trying to achieve, if they take you into a quiet area away from colleagues and discuss the issue then I have no problem with that at all.  If I screw up then I expect to be told about it in a reasonable manner so that I can fix it and learn from my mistake. A bit of a bollocking is no biggie.

If the boss sets out to humiliate you in front of colleagues by being an asshole then I'd drop him in the shit for it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.  I always calmly explain what is required for the job and where the gaps are.  I haven't had to fire someone in over twenty years.  They always quit on their own.  No yelling or anger required.z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calmly explaining a job and where deficiencies are doesn't exactly sound like an "ass chewing" to me
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#41]
It depends .

As adults in a professional workplace there are appropriate and inappropriate ways of correcting someone and if you need to resort to yelling or engage in some type of immature verbal tirade to correct someone than you need to go back to managers school and to also grow the fuck up.

I get verbal lashings from my boss when I don't do things her way or the way she thinks that they should be done.  This happened just yesterday for something so minor it makes me question not only her ability to interact with others but also her mental stability.  Perfect example.  I had 5.0 mls of a substance I need to check the pH of so remove 40 ul to add to pH paper which to me seemed like a reasonable amount...What I got was something like "NO glocke12 are you stupid or something ?you should only use 1-2 ul" .  The material was not expensive or in short supply so I am not really sure what her malfunction was.  

Had it been me, I would have simply said "ok, but next time just try to use less".

I've experienced this type of behavior from her from Day1, and after awhile I had started to consider reporting her to HR (as have others btw), but instead when I did a 360 dg review on her brought up these behaviors.  

Now, if someone repeatedly makes the same mistakes over and over again, I have no problem with a verbal beating..

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#42]
i work in construction.

ass chewings still exist in this industry.

yet looking back, i realize they are becoming a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#43]
I chewed some ass yesterday and last week.  Soooo ya.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I chewed some ass yesterday and last week.  Soooo ya.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes, and then you have to sign a statement reviewing the verbal counseling that occurred.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Really depends on the situation. Where I work, ass-chewings almost never happen because ass-chewings completely pointless. If a professional screwed up, the professional already knows he screwed up. Yelling is just stupid at that point.

If you work with a bunch of guys who have the maturity level of a high school sophomores then ass-chewings might make sense.

I've seen a vice president, who didn't know how to use a piece of software, chew out a 8-man software development team in front of 1200 other employees. The VP instantly lost my respect (and left the company a few months later). That VP was both a dick and a dumbass.

ETA: I have called a co-worker an idiot before, to her face. I think my exact words were "THAT'S STUPID" (in all caps). She was completely incompetent and should have been fired. Kept insisting I fill out a 10-page questionnaire before she'd do anything, during an emergency that was costing us roughly $1800 per minute. She complained to my manager that I was being "unfair". Fuck her.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can tell you right now this morherfucker ain't putting up with any goddamn bullshit at fucking work.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Why bother? If you want to keep them, coach them. If you feel the need to chew out an employee, they're out. Save your breath, have last check ready and terminate. They'll already know why. I own a machine shop not a feelings factory.

Edit - basically errors happen sometimes. We're all human and it does no good to verbally abuse a skilled professional, these men are golden geese - don't shoot'em. That said, sometimes a guy just 'loses' it, doesn't care any longer for whatever reason - drugs / alcohol / divorce / etc. Most of the time its the smart-ass that sweeps up but speaks up like a journeyman though.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't need to scream to deliver a world class ass chewing.

If one is warranted, assuming the person is worth the correction, I will take them aside and point out in the starkest terms their failing without insult or personal derision. There will also be either a recorder or at least one other person within earshot to verify the conversation.

And I have no problem doing just that when required.

I'm in construction so the ass chewing  method of correction is alive and well.

Can't take it? Go work in a nail salon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pajama boy is a pretty accurate representation of the average American male these days in my experience.  
View Quote

we have far too many special little snowflakes in society today and truthfully, the last 20 years.
I have never seen the beta male population we have today. I fear where we'll be in 2 generations let alone a century..

You screw up bad enough you're getting a but reaming...in private, a manager who does it in public is an idiot
and will lose in the end with morale issues..
though..
there are times a public ass chewing is called for, needed for by both parties and sets an example to other fuck ups to keep in mind.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top