Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A TABLET does all those things.....I mentioned that in my initial post.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is why I have a smart phone:

streaming music (a lot of it!)
GPS/Navigator
snowmobile and ATV trail maps
ballistic calculator
checking weather and radar
taking pictures
checking email
finding ethanol-free gas (Puregas.org)

And it still fits in my pocket, unlike a tablet! It's a tool for some of us, not a "time waster".

Music is now offered in MP3 variety; GARMIN offers superior GPS w/out the monthly fee....the rest of your list validates my point, in your own words.

So you'd rather carry around a GSP/dash kit/charger, iPod, pencil and notepad, digital camera, calculator, alarm clock, paperback books, portable DVD player, etc etc etc?  

Are all the things I listed really there to "satisfy boredom"?

A tablet does not fit in my pocket, and a tablet does almost nothing on my list, if there is no wifi.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My list validates your point? What have you been smoking?

I have about 20 gigs of MP3s on my phone. But I can stream almost any song ever recorded, literally anything I want to hear, as long as I have cell reception. How am I going to check the radar and forecast, stream unlimited music, use GPS, find ethanol-free gas, etc, on one device that fits in my pocket, WHERE THERE IS NO WIFI, without a smart phone? You must be one of those city people who has wifi everywhere they go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GPS/Navigator
ballistic calculator
taking pictures
checking email

And it still fits in my pocket, unlike a tablet! It's a tool for some of us, not a "time waster".

Music is now offered in MP3 variety; GARMIN offers superior GPS w/out the monthly fee....the rest of your list validates my point, in your own words.

I have about 20 gigs of MP3s on my phone. But I can stream almost any song ever recorded, literally anything I want to hear, as long as I have cell reception. How am I going to check the radar and forecast, stream unlimited music, use GPS, find ethanol-free gas, etc, on one device that fits in my pocket, WHERE THERE IS NO WIFI, without a smart phone? You must be one of those city people who has wifi everywhere they go.

Trivial examples.....sounds like someone might be trying to satisfy boredom???
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GPS/Navigator

ballistic calculator

taking pictures

checking email

So you'd rather carry around a GSP/dash kit/charger, iPod, pencil and notepad, digital camera, calculator, alarm clock, paperback books, portable DVD player, etc etc etc?  

So you recommend I buy a tablet and a garmin and a regular phone so I don't have to pay $85/m. And a tablet does those things but not a lot of them unless you have Internet access. You're not going to have Internet access unless your near wifi or pay per month for a data plan for your tablet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:39:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GPS/Navigator

ballistic calculator

taking pictures

checking email

Trolling much?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GPS/Navigator
ballistic calculator
taking pictures
checking email

Tablets are expensive, and a second device, and not a replacement for a phone.

I'll take waze over a garmin anyday. instant updates to traffic problems, police, accidents, etc? heck yea
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A tablet does not fit in my pocket, and a tablet does almost nothing on my list, if there is no wifi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GPS/Navigator
ballistic calculator
taking pictures
checking email

Have you seen some of the NEW tablets on the Market? Lots of the new tablets will fit in your pocket.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you seen some of the NEW tablets on the Market? Lots of the new tablets will fit in your pocket.

View Quote

So are you like....huge? I've yet to see a tablet i could comfortably fit in my pockets. shit, even the phablets are pushing it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GPS/Navigator
ballistic calculator
taking pictures
checking email

Is music to satisfy boredom? I would say it improves my quality of life, but you can call it what you like. Isn't everything we do (away from work) to satisfy boredom? If I'm out on the lake fishing and want to check the radar for life threatening storms (which I can't do with a tablet), or check to see if I got an important email (which I can't do with a tablet), is that "trivial"?  

I knew it: you live in the city, with wifi everywhere you go, and you don't understand how people can live different from you, so you had to rant about it. Whatever, it's your blood pressure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll take waze over a garmin anyday. instant updates to traffic problems, police, accidents, etc? heck yea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GPS/Navigator
ballistic calculator
taking pictures
checking email

Expensive......as opposed to what???? a $600-900 Iphone 6S? Those "free" and heavily subsidized phones are baked into the overall contract/subscription fee, no one is getting a free ride....you pay one way or the other.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's ridiculous. I have a Droid Turbo, and it's the perfect size. I sure as hell wouldn't want anything bigger than that. Now I know you're just trolling (not that there was any doubt).
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Name one task that can't be accomplished with a stand alone device? which has no monthly subscription fee....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My smart phone does a fuck-ton more than just entertain me.

But thanks for playing the "I don't know WTF this does but I don't like it" game.

Name one task that can't be accomplished with a stand alone device? which has no monthly subscription fee....

Why don't you try naming all the stand alone devices I would have to carry around to fulfill all the capabilities of my phone?

You also don't actually know what our subscription fees are, you just picked a round number.

I don't even use the damn thing as a phone 99% of the time.  I hate phone calls.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Expensive......as opposed to what???? a $600-900 Iphone 6S? Those "free" and heavily subsidized phones are baked into the overall contract/subscription fee, no one is getting a free ride....you pay one way or the other.
View Quote

So why trade one expensive device, for two or three devices that will cost the same or more? I pay $60/mo for my iphone 6 plan, we aren't talking about breaking the bank here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
OP is one of those idiotic trolls that is trying to boost his own self esteem by blasting off BS that he thinks makes him look smarter/better than anyone else on the forums related to the topic. "Oh, I am better than everyone else because I am not dumb enough to pay for one of those damned smart phone thingamajigs, and I'm so smart I found out I can use tablets and other devices on WiFi to sorta replicate what a smartphone does". After he's called out and made to look like the idiot he probably is, he's going to turn around and go "OH GEE, LOL, I WAS TROLLING GUYS, LIKE, REALLY, LOL, I GOT YA!" It's some kind of sad little game tards on the net play all the time .
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:51:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've had small tablets that fit in your pocket for a long time, do you know what we call them?
Smartphones

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:53:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How can you justify the $100+ per month (& a contract) phone bill for a DIAL TONE with the ability to satisfy your boredom (that's what it does, RIGHT?).

I have seen children, not more than 7 years old with their own personal Iphone (cracked screen too!). I don't get it.......someone please help me understand the INSANITY, why not just have a Tablet and a regular phone and pocket the cash? VANITY? ADHD? OCD? C'mon, geez.

That is all, carry on.
View Quote

Dude you need to calm the fuck down.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:53:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn op is your asshole sore or what, i feel for you if your paying a 100 a month,twice what I pay, and you dont know the capabilities of a 7 yr olds phone. Get some sun and have the next 7 yr old give you some lessons on internet banking or all kinds of cool  apps for kids of all ages.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP is one of those idiotic trolls that is trying to boost his own self esteem by blasting off BS that he thinks makes him look smarter/better than anyone else on the forums related to the topic. "Oh, I am better than everyone else because I am not dumb enough to pay for one of those damned smart phone thingamajigs, and I'm so smart I found out I can use tablets and other devices on WiFi to sorta replicate what a smartphone does". After he's called out and made to look like the idiot he probably is, he's going to turn around and go "OH GEE, LOL, I WAS TROLLING GUYS, LIKE, REALLY, LOL, I GOT YA!" It's some kind of sad little game tards on the net play all the time .
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:54:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why don't you try naming all the stand alone devices I would have to carry around to fulfill all the capabilities of my phone?

You also don't actually know what our subscription fees are, you just picked a round number.

I don't even use the damn thing as a phone 99% of the time.  I hate phone calls.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But thanks for playing the "I don't know WTF this does but I don't like it" game.

okay....A Tablet.

How do I know what the subscription fees are???? Because 1 out of ever 10 TV and Internet AD's are all about how much it cost per month, if you switch from this carrier to that...etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

okay....A Tablet.

How do I know what the subscription fees are???? Because 1 out of ever 10 TV and Internet AD's are all about how much it cost per month, if you switch from this carrier to that...etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay....A Tablet.

tablet can't connect to the internet on it's own (or without a data plan). try again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

okay....A Tablet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

okay....A Tablet.

What is MY bill, though?  I'm not paying $100 a month, and neither are many guys here.

My phone IS a tablet, it just does one more thing than a tablet does... make phone calls... why don't you understand this?  It's the same technology.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I rarely use my phone as a phone.   Texting,  Internet,  apps,  files, books.   Perfect size to carry and fit into pocket.   What is not to love?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:05:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I rarely use my phone as a phone.   Texting,  Internet,  apps,  files, books.   Perfect size to carry and fit into pocket.   What is not to love?
View Quote
You can do all that with a laptop and a carrier pigeon.

You're a fool.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:10:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What is MY bill, though?  I'm not paying $100 a month, and neither are many guys here.

My phone IS a tablet, it just does one more thing than a tablet does... make phone calls... why don't you understand this?  It's the same technology.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay....A Tablet.

There are consumer studies that show the contrary; in regards to the average cell phone bill among the four top carriers AT&T/Sprint/Tmobile/Verizon (they also factored in taxes and fees).
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You're a fool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fool.

Amateurs.  All of ya.  I still use smoke signals.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:12:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're a fool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fool.

So you can carry a laptop around in your pocket everywhere you go, and access the internet where there is no wifi? Blackoperations seems to think so.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There are consumer studies that show the contrary; in regards to the average cell phone bill among the four top carriers AT&T/Sprint/Tmobile/Verizon (they also factored in taxes and fees).
View Quote

I still have no idea WTF you're trying to argue.  A tablet still requires data for most functions.  A tablet without cellular capability and a flip phone is silly.  Why even carry the tablet with you if you can't connect to the internet?  What can a tablet do without internet?  Play games?  Oh...that's for when you're bored.  

Add a cellular plan for a tablet and your existing call/text plan for a smart phone, you're pretty close to the same price plan if you were just combine two devices and just carry a smartphone.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So you can carry a laptop around in your pocket everywhere you go, and access the internet where there is no wifi? Blackoperations seems to think so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fool.

Whoosh....

That's the sound of his sarcasm flying right over your head
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Whoosh....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fool.

Whoosh....

WTF is sarcasm?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:20:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

WTF is sarcasm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fool.

Whoosh....

WTF is sarcasm?

I think it's a fishing lure
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

WTF is sarcasm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fool.

Whoosh....

WTF is sarcasm?

Isn't...isn't that what happens at the end of...you know...sex?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You're a fool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fool.

I hate it when the carrier pigeons shit in my pocket though.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're a fool.

Plus you have to feed and house them. And that is a monthly cost in itself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I pay for a decent data plan so I don't have to listen to assholes tell me how to spend my own money. On wait...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:50:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I like the map app
It shows where my ass is , and where  it needs to be .
No getting out the atlas/fold out map , just your ass is here and you can get to there by going that away . Good times
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:56:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

And Floridians wonder why everyone thinks they're crazy.  
View Quote

Naw, this one falls into "floridians are old" for sure.   Weird floridians know smart phones are to look up ICP lyrics.

As far as the OP, if 40 years ago you offered a man a device he could fit in his pocket and access most of the world's knowledge, he would be a fool not to take it.  That hasn't changed.  They can be a waste, they can be tremendously powerful, and they can be both.

I'll spend my money, you spend yours

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:23:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You know......they have Micro SD cards with 128gb capacities (for cheap), that's dozens of hours worth....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't pay $100 a month for a dial tone...I pay $100 to have porn anywhere and anytime I want it

You know......they have Micro SD cards with 128gb capacities (for cheap), that's dozens of hours worth....

Not in 4k, 60 fps.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:29:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I feel out of place here and in the real world.
My only phone is a $5 Tracfone that I don't even carry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:46:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Because I like to watch new tranny midget interracial horse porn while travelling down the freeway, not the stuff I've already seen.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Mine is free. My company pays for it
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#40]

I was perfectly happy with my $7 a month Virgin Mobile flip phone. Did everything I wanted in a phone.

Then a couple of weeks ago my company gave me a Samsung S6. I use it to play games in meetings, but for any real work (including sending e-mail) I still bring my laptop.

I'm keeping my flip phone.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Hmm my wife and I both have iPhones, I use it for everything, email, banking, calls, texts, Google, gps, music, shopping, news, Arfcom. My wife and I are both in public service and I go to school full time also. Through the week I'm literally home long enough to sleep from 8 am to 2 pm. It's how I stay in touch with my family for now. This will really blow your mind, our 10 year old has my wife's old iPhone 4s, it's nice to FaceTime him when he goes to bed. He is also taken a interest in running(didn't get that shit from me) and uses Pandora and the Nike running app to keep track of his distance/pace.

Here he is finishing his first non-school 5K a few weeks ago. Ran it by himself. Has a goal of a half marathon before he turns 13.

It works for my family so I don't really give a fiddlers fuck about your opinion of my family using smart phones.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#42]
In this thread we bitch about people spending their money how they want.  

I am about to ditch a contract in favor of an ATT 18 month phone plan for an iPhone 6s+...I'll be paying a little more per month than I currently am..

I'll indulge the OP under the guise of "there are no stupid questions"

1) Because I want to/can
2) Because my eye sight is poor these days and I need a larger screen
3) I depend on my phone somewhat for work communications/viewing data
4) Because I have periods of down time that I do not want to waste, and like reading to keep informed
5) Did I say because I want to/can?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I pay 100/ month.  My cell in my only phone.  A traditional land line would be $60 and only available in my house.  I am happy to have a phone that goes anywhere and is reliable.  I have not had a land line in over a decade.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're wrong for a lot of us.  I'm paying $30 - $35 WITH tax for a smartphone.  I don't have a land line and I have a tablet.  It won't do what I can do w/ the smartphone.  Without the data plan it's worthless, and with the data plan I'd pay more than I do for phone.  The tablet is good for reading books or surfing the net.    I'd be lost w/o the phone.  I couldn't get my phone calls,voicemail from work or my emails.  Neither of those would work on a tablet w/o a data plan.   The phone calls from work come across as cellular data.

-------

I just checked my October statement.  

Here's a quick summary of your October 11 statement:
Your total is $30.21
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm sorry you can't afford $100 a month to have a science fiction device in your pocket.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How can you justify the $100+ per month (& a contract) phone bill for a DIAL TONE with the ability to satisfy your boredom (that's what it does, RIGHT?).

I have seen children, not more than 7 years old with their own personal Iphone (cracked screen too!). I don't get it.......someone please help me understand the INSANITY, why not just have a Tablet and a regular phone and pocket the cash? VANITY? ADHD? OCD? C'mon, geez.

That is all, carry on.
View Quote

Your phone must be defective.  Mine does more than satisfy boredom.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Sucks to be poor.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#48]
I mostly use mine for work (vpn dial in) and as a hotspot for remote connections. Work provides one free of charge and the other I keep for personal business.

Outside of that it's nice to have a weather radar, internet and various accounting applications at my fingertips.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why would I want stand alone devices when I have one that does it all? See my last post...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would I want stand alone devices when I have one that does it all? See my last post...

Exactly? What kind of fucking sense does that make?

Why carry one iPhone when I can carry all of these stand alone devices in my pocket, right?

-Computer
-Calculator
-gps
-Camera
-Video Camera
-Voice recorder
-Telephone
-mp3 player
-ballistic calc

On and on and on. OP just admit it, you're a luddite that made a bad post.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't pay $100 a month for a dial tone...I pay $100 to have porn anywhere and anytime I want it
View Quote

Yeah, like - in the palm of your hand...

A.W.D.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top