Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 10/12/2015 10:29:17 PM EDT
That had been shot by some asshole for running through his yard.  The dog was standing on their porch coughing up blood everywhere.  It looked like a yellow lab and had obviously been hit in the lung.  I have always said that someone doing something like that to my dogs might be my ticket to jail.  After seeing that pic,  I pray no one hurts my dogs because I would be gone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I understand your emotions, but the dog was on another mans property.  Owners with the feels should keep their pets in check.

ETA: I don't want some of you to get PMS over this or take it the wrong way, so I will clarify.  Without knowing the mans past experience with dogs roaming his property and their actions, or current events with dogs roaming his property and their actions, the responsibility lies with the irresponsible pet owner which gives other responsible pet owners a bad name.  If the dog was just running across another mans yard, with no livestock, no kids, no attacks, and is being non-threatening, then I certainly don't condone just shooting a dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That had been shot by some asshole for running through his yard.  The dog was standing on their porch coughing up blood everywhere.  It looked like a yellow lab and had obviously been hit in the lung.  I have always said that someone doing something like that to my dogs might be my ticket to jail.  After seeing that pic,  I pray no one hurts my dogs because I would be gone.
View Quote

Control your pets and then you only have to worry about cops shooting them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's very fucked up and sad for the dog owner.  My dog will never be shot because it is always on a leash or fenced in.   Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
1st & 2nd post nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have found that keeping control of my dog keeps them from getting shot.

I won't shoot dogs on my land on sight, but if they don't have a collar and act aggressive they get shot.

If you care about your dogs keep them in your yard, especially if you live outside of town.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Was the dog threatening someone? I mean shit guys, you're going to shoot a dog just because it's on your property? That's just crazy to me. I'll probably (and I have before) taken a look at it's tag and seen if there's a number on there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The feels.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
was dog bothering livestock?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was the dog threatening someone? I mean shit guys, you're going to shoot a dog just because it's on your property? That's just crazy to me. I'll probably (and I have before) taken a look at it's tag and seen if there's a number on there.
View Quote

The only animals that would get shot on my property are the follows:

If it is acting aggressively towards my family or myself.

If it is rabid/foaming at the mouth

If it is a deer or other animal that I hunt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well we don't know the answer to that, now do we?  Was he eating the guys chickens?  Chasing his kids?  Has he had dogs eating or harassing his pets or livestock in his property before?

While I would have also chosen to not shoot the dog if it were acting peacefully or playfully, I don't know the circumstances which led to this shooting.  One thing is for sure, the dog was not where it belonged.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#13]
A little girl accidentally let the dog out.  It wasn't a reoccurring thing.  The dog wasn't shitting, eating chickens, etc.  I might have an unusual attachment to my dogs, but some of you have an unusual attachment to your land.  If the dog had been doing anything out of the way,  I wouldn't have posted about it or gotten so pissed.  I should have made that more clear though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I'm with you.

It's a dog.  I'd try and call the thing over for a visit if I saw a neighbors dog outside.  

I'm also with OP in that eventual retaliation for something so petty would probably be a mother fucker.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A little girl accidentally let the dog out.  It wasn't a reoccurring thing.  The dog wasn't shitting, eating chickens, etc.  I might have an unusual attachment to my dogs, but some of you have an unusual attachment to your land.
View Quote

You mean property.   Like a house. Or car.  Or dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe.... I live in a neighborhood kind of out in the country. I believe we are literally the only house on the street with a fenced backyard. Our doberman stays back there all the time unless I'm mowing the grass. There are 2 labs in each of the houses on the sides of us that are constantly in my yard. I've had one come charging into my yard at night barking and scare the shit out of me. It might have gotten shot if I would have been armed taking the trash out. The cocker spaniel across the street shits in my yard and barks at me and the kids, in my yard. Just tonight I had my hand on my pistol telling it to go home. I don't care if it barks from the road, but get out of my yard.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, apparently in ARF land logic and reasonable thought only applies to the dog owner, and not to cunt that would shot a dog for simply being on their property.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A little girl accidentally let the dog out.  It wasn't a reoccurring thing.  The dog wasn't shitting, eating chickens, etc.  I might have an unusual attachment to my dogs, but some of you have an unusual attachment to your land.  If the dog had been doing anything out of the way,  I wouldn't have posted about it or gotten so pissed.  I should have made that more clear though.
View Quote
So the dog was running free in the yard and unleashed.  What was the dog's reaction?  What if the dog considered the paper boy to have gotten too close the sidewalk on his bike and the same result happened?  The key is in the details.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#19]
These threads are always entertaining.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm with you.

It's a dog.  I'd try and call the thing over for a visit if I saw a neighbors dog outside.  

I'm also with OP in that eventual retaliation for something so petty would probably be a mother fucker.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm with you.

Lol

Internet tough guys.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I understand your emotions, but the dog was on another mans property.  Owners with the feels should keep their pets in check.
View Quote

lol

The 'shooter' is also a shitbag with no morals/patience/respect.

Let's see how retarded this thread gets...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A little girl accidentally let the dog out.  It wasn't a reoccurring thing.  The dog wasn't shitting, eating chickens, etc.  I might have an unusual attachment to my dogs, but some of you have an unusual attachment to your land.
View Quote

Like you, I feel bad for the family and the dog.  If the dog wasn't harming people or property, try and gather the dog and check it's collar and tags in the hope of returning the dog and scolding the owner.  It was a dick move to shoot the dog.  

Ultimately, the death of the dog is the owners fault.  But it seems that shooting the dog might have been unnecessary.  It doesn't mean that I'd kill my neighbor. But he had better never set foot on my land or touch my property.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

But it chose to willfully ignore the sanctity of your property.

It could have done anything.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]
yesterday 2 dogs came into my yard, went in my garage and my shop. so like any normal arfcomer I posted their picture on the local FB missing pet page from my security camera in hopes of finding their owner
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't blame the dog.  I blame the shitbag owner that let his dog run fucking free all over the place.
It's the shitbag owner that's to fucking blame for the damn dog getting shot.  Control your fucking animal----because 99 times out of 100, it's the animal
that pays the fucking price.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#26]
i predict ZERO locks as ARFCOM will have a mature conversation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lol

Internet tough guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm with you.

Lol

Internet tough guys.

Mostly yankee assholes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I think you need a really, really good reason to shoot a dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Strange dogs are a danger to mine.

I'd shoot a dog if it went for my dog, especially in my own yard. My little 20 lb idiot isn't meant to take a beating from a much bigger dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I"m not shooting a dog simply because its on my property, and those who condone that are fucking psychos. I will shoot a dog if its repeatedly on my land and shows aggression towards my animals or family.

Of course, most mouth breathers can't grasp the difference in the two scenarios because they want to get a boner of off killing a kids dog.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't blame the dog.  I blame the shitbag owner that let his dog run fucking free all over the place.
It's the shitbag owner that's to fucking blame for the damn dog getting shot.  Control your fucking animal----because 99 times out of 100, it's the animal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So accidents don't happen, dogs don't dig their way out, and other random shit?

Think first post like a badass tough guy later
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
The dog should have been kept on a leash or not left to wander someone else's property.  With that being said, this is the age of the internet and social media.  Don't be surprised when owner contacts the news or posts your name and address on Facebook saying that you're a fucking gun nut that likes to shoot other people's pets.  Respect is a two way street.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Muh Land!

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I've lost 1 rooster and 6 guineas to neighboring dogs running loose.......
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I won't shoot stray dogs unless they are obviously a problem.  Most dogs I see got off of a chain or something like that and aren't habitual offenders.  Free range cats on the otherhand...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Jesus. Good shoot. That dog might have fucking licked someone!

Stupid shit like this gives gun owners a bad name.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a random dog dug it's way under a fence and found it's way to me being friendly and passive.  I would feed it until I could find it's home.  If it approached me snarling and aggressive I would put it down.  Should have been better secured. We don't know the details of what OPs dog did.
Honestly it sounds like the the guy should have had a closer eye on the little girl who opened the door and let the dog out, or herself.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Paging TheRedGoat.  

What did he say?  His dad learned to use 22lr to shot dogs that harassed his cattle.  That way the dog would go back home to die, the owners couldn't lie to their kids about what happened to Fido, and the owners learned to control their pet.

Bottom line:  Only a miserable asshole shots a dog for running through his land.   You can be in the right legally and still be a fucking jackoff.   And no dog is worth going to jail over.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband too..."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Paging TheRedGoat.  

What did he say?  His dad learned to use 22lr to shot dogs that harassed his cattle.  That way the dog would go back home to die, the owners couldn't lie to their kids about what happened to Fido, and the owners learned to control their pet.

Bottom line:  Only a miserable asshole shots a dog for running through his land.   You can be in the right legally and still be a fucking jackoff.   And no dog is worth going to jail over.
View Quote
So TheRedGoat is a "fucking jackoff"?  Just want to make sure I understand.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I see a dog in my neighborhood I try to find the owner . I don't shoot it. If my Irish setter gets off  her leash and I can't catch her and she comes home shot, I'll probably find you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#45]
The dog's behavior could have had a lot to do with it.  There are also people that are just assholes like that.  There needs to be more details before we light torches and grab pitchforks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, thats one side of the story.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Noooooo not a dog in your yard!

It's a real window licker who thinks shooting it is the best course of action for that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I see a dog in my neighborhood I try to find the owner . I don't shoot it. If my Irish setter gets off  her leash and I can't catch her and she comes home shot, I'll probably find you.
View Quote
What do you mean by "find you"  Do you mean locate? Assault?  Murder?  This is important. Be specific.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with this.
I say this having had my pet killed in a similar situation when I was young.
I didn't know better, my parents should have.

If you let your animal run free, what happens to it is on you.
Could have just as easily been a car, another dog, coyote.....

Poor dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paging TheRedGoat.  

No you don't understand.  You glazed over the part about it harassing cattle.  Then he clearly stated, "Only a miserable asshole shots a dog for running through his land."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top