Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I do like the drags on spinning reels better.  
For trolling, muskie/pike/bass casting, or bottom fishing for catfish and sturgeon, the baitcaster is, for me a better choice.

The only thing I really don't like about spinning reels, is that they still twist the line.  If you are a boat fisherman, you can, occasionally, let out the line, behind the boat, while underway, and untangle the curls, but if you're
a shore fisherman, that's not so easy, unless you're fishing on a river, and can let the current take the line downstream for you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Both have their place.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Spinning cover everything I need to do, other peoples needs might be different.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

fly rod, reel, and flies.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Spincast FTW.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Both , spinning for casting bait... bait casting winches for grouper trolling...all salt water

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Both

Amateur

They are tools. Use the right tool for the job. Spinning handles light line better and is better for presentations where you can leave the spool open at the end of the cast and allow the bait to fall vertically. In some situations spinning will also cast further. In some situations it is better for skipping lures under docks or cover.

No difference in accuracy. Instead of using your thumb, you use your index finger on your casting handle to feather the line on the lip of the spool.

I use a baitcast far more than spinning but I use a spinning effectively when it is the right tool for the job.

The #1 bitch from spinning reels I have seen comes from guys who crank right hand on casting and left hand on spinning (I crank left hand for both) and MOST frequently from guys who put the line on WRONG on a spinning reel causing lots of issues. You have to have the line go on the spool like it is coning off the spool. Having someone hold a spool on a pencil facing you so that it comes off the top or bottom will really screw up the line on a spinning reel.
View Quote
Nailed it!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Both, although the areas I've fished for the last few years I just using spinning for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I would say the Spinning reel is better 9 times out of 10 for fishing....

I hooked a 10' bull gator on my Spinning reel and got him to shore before he took off
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Baitcaster for Bass.  Spinner for Trout.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#11]
If you don't or can't use both, you're shorting yourself.  They both have their place.

Anyone that says one is better than the other is ignorant of the proper uses.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If you don't or can't use both, you're shorting yourself.  They both have their place.

Anyone that says one is better than the other is ignorant of the proper uses.
View Quote

Exactly.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really, really hate spinning reels. I can't throw them to save my life. Probably because I've tossed baitcast reels my entire life since age 6.

Baitcaster is far superior. Can hit a spittoon at 50 yards. Can reel against the drag. Can use your proper hand to feel the fish.

Neva been done before so pole nbound.
View Quote

for me just the opposite
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my bait casters for worm/grub/Carolina rigging, buzz baits and soft frogs in the weeds.

I like my spinning reels for fishing the river with spinner baits and small crankbaits.

Like guns.  Pick the best one for the job that allows you to do what you want to do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I fished with spinning reels all weekend, but I'm a baitcaster person in general.  

Bait fishing? Either is fine.
Crankbaits? Baitcaster
Flipping? baitcaster
Worms, jigs, etc (especially in cover)? Baitcaster
Ultralight? Spinner
Spinnerbaits? Baitcaster
Topwaters? Baitcaster
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

for me just the opposite
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really, really hate spinning reels. I can't throw them to save my life. Probably because I've tossed baitcast reels my entire life since age 6.

Baitcaster is far superior. Can hit a spittoon at 50 yards. Can reel against the drag. Can use your proper hand to feel the fish.

Neva been done before so pole nbound.

for me just the opposite

so are you a Witch or a minion of the Devil?
take him to the river....
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top