Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Alternative Ending

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hated it and was super disappointed. I have never been so disappointed by a film ever and the ending was total shit.

Arfcom  gave it good reviews, but this is the second time it bit me in the ass. First was that movie with the seal guys as actors...it sucked bad also.  Never take arfcom''s advice on movies.
View Quote
Just to Guage GDs blood alcohol level while watching movies most here liked Battleship, the single worst movie ever produced.

Only a mind numbing substance can account for a positive review of the most disgusting acting and pitiful CGI scenes and animations. I would rather slam my dick with the trunk lid of a 65 Lincoln than see any of that movie or that repulsive  cunt Rhianna whose only life accomplishment is getting her face remodeled by a loser rap artist.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I thought that they were a little special effectish myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My step brother thought the tracers looked like laser blasts from Star Wars.  :-)

I thought that they were a little special effectish myself.

I have been on the receiving end of tracers.  They look just like that when they are coming toward positions off to your sides a little bit.  They look much different when coming directly at your position.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I could see it happening though.
And worse.
I don't think that the Russians would have been that kind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole scene with the German women was horrible

And worse.

They weren't that kind.

Stalin took pride in his troops raping and pillaging.  He saw it as revenge for Stalingrad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked the movie. The ending was dumb. There are hardly a lot tanker movies to compare it to.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is no other WWII movie that depicts American tanks in combat with anywhere near that level of authenticity, despite its many inaccuracies.

That's good enough for me.
View Quote

This, I'll over look all the other and geek out on the tanks. I was entertained, it's that simple.

I don't watch a movie to gain knowledge on what my grandfather may have gone through in Europe, that's what books and his pictures are for.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They weren't that kind.

Stalin took pride in his troops raping and pillaging.  He saw it as revenge for Stalingrad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And worse.

They weren't that kind.

And SS units behind the lines just about everywhere they went.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
It was awesome. The story was generic, but so what? The tanks looked great.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll give the movie props for the CGI tank battle scenes, they were pretty good.

The rest of the movie... oh where to start...

Brad Pitt: A Sargent that speaks two languages, but the only thing he brings to the screen is "Kill Nazis". I wasn't sure if I was watching Fury or Inglorious Bastards.  I guess that was enough for most to ignore the fact that he tried to make the newby fit in by ordering him to murder prisoners.

The new guy: It wasn't worth it to remember his name. How cliche can we get? The overwhelmed new guy that has to find his way to fit into the unit (tank). Of course he falls in love with the first German girl he meets, but at least he finds himself by the end. I didn't care what happened to him one way or the other, he might as well not have been there.

The Crew: Shane, Sam, and End of Watch guy, were 3 of some the least interesting characters I've seen, despite the director's attempts to make them seem "complex". Add some of the worst over acting ever put to film, and by the end I was hoping they would all die of carbon monoxide poisoning in the tank.

The rest of the US military: A bunch of murdering, raping, pillaging inbred morons that could have fit in well with the Soviet Army. I'm not going to suggest that there weren't people like that in during WWII, but they really over did it. I think the movie did a lot disservice to WWII vets.

I'm not even going to comment on the ridiculous dinner scene.

The final battle of the movie: It was bad enough to have to sit through all the other garbage being passed off as entertainment, but the final battle was terrible. It was so bad, I was expecting Walker Texas Ranger to come jumping out with a round house kick to save the tank crew.

That's at least the crap that I can remember. I haven't bothered to try and suffer through it a second time to see what I may have missed the first time around.
View Quote

It's like we watched two entirely different movies. It's a movie about Brad Pitt's character. It's not about a tank.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was a great movie.

Protip:  Fury is not about WWII, or Tanks, or Nazis, or whatever.  Those things are just setting.

Fury is a movie about the love / hate relationship between men in horrific circumstances.  About a long slow descent into the dark and finally... redemption, of a sort.
View Quote

That was my take.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nothing about the movie drew me into his character. Maybe if it was played by someone else I may have connected with the character, or just all the other shitty parts drowned out the message for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like we watched two entirely different movies. It's a movie about Brad Pitt's character. It's not about a tank.

Nothing about the movie drew me into his character. Maybe if it was played by someone else I may have connected with the character, or just all the other shitty parts drowned out the message for me.

As soon as they had him speak German the way he did, I knew I was in for a different movie. I was not disappointed. By the time the breakfast scene came around, I knew I was watching art. The rest of the crew coming in wasn't to contrast Pitt's character from them, as much as to Remind Pitt of exactly how himself had been just a few days' prior.

Others just see cliches and rape. Maybe you should watch it again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great movie.
I just don't understand why he didn't just retreat to fight another day.
His hate for the Nazi's cost his life and those of his crew.
View Quote

He had a mission to hold or delay the SS at a crossroads, no?  If not him and his crew, then who?  They were able to kill a lot of nazis, and delay their push into a lightly held US forward position.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

what were the orders? I seem to remember something about "at all costs"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie.
I just don't understand why he didn't just retreat to fight another day.
His hate for the Nazi's cost his life and those of his crew.

what were the orders? I seem to remember something about "at all costs"

so tankers retreats to let supply guys get chewed up?
bad idea. no radio, no support, they took out most of the enemy before being taken out them self.
what got me was the panzerfausts not taking out all of them in the tank. movie is very hollywood in so many ways. however it was entertaining enough
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just to Guage GDs blood alcohol level while watching movies most here liked Battleship, the single worst movie ever produced.

View Quote

I've seen Battleship, and I've seen Manos: The Hands of Fate.
And while Battleship is not a good movie, it's not the worst movie ever produced.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I was very entertained by the movie.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Boy that was a feel good flick if I ever did see one.....

Good movie, but.... damn.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That was my take.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was a great movie.

Protip:  Fury is not about WWII, or Tanks, or Nazis, or whatever.  Those things are just setting.

Fury is a movie about the love / hate relationship between men in horrific circumstances.  About a long slow descent into the dark and finally... redemption, of a sort.

That was my take.

The entire movie is a retelling of Moby Dick.

Lol at the halfwits decrying the cliched story elements.

The story is about trial and redemption. It is a story as old as storytelling itself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

300 waffen SS grenadiers getting taken out by one tank - not happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a movie, not a documentary.

I liked it.

Most of arfcom says it wasn't like how they remembered WWII when they were the commander of a tank.

Except the WWll tank guys who consulted on the movie thought otherwise.

It was a great movie and I'd bet that just about everything that was portrayed in the movie actually happened. The vet consultants, in fact, said it did. Except, it didn't all happen to one tank crew in a one week span and some of the stuff happened only rarely.

It's how movies get made. The war in Europe took a year, literally tens of thousands of tanks took part. Many, many, incredible, hair raising, fantastic, unbelievable feats were witnessed and accomplished as well as some not so proud moments. You try to put as much of that into one movie and it seems a little far fetched but it tells a story no less true than a mini series like BoB that was hours and hours long.

Except for that 5'4 guy that stood on the back of of a burning tank destroyer and did that..
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I liked it, but it was depressing at times.
The Tiger tank battle was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Probably because they had Veteran tankers working with the production.    

This may be a bit of a downer to you, but the entire military is one giant cliche. Literally, cliche shit from WW1 is still used today.  Hear Marines call each other Devil Dog?  No shit, 97 year old cliche. All those movies with boot camp scenes that are a cliche of FMJ?  NOPE, that whole scene was just real boot camp stuff, filmed, and it had been like that since before WW2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found it enlightening; I never knew you could fit that many cliches in a Sherman tank.

This may be a bit of a downer to you, but the entire military is one giant cliche. Literally, cliche shit from WW1 is still used today.  Hear Marines call each other Devil Dog?  No shit, 97 year old cliche. All those movies with boot camp scenes that are a cliche of FMJ?  NOPE, that whole scene was just real boot camp stuff, filmed, and it had been like that since before WW2.

The consults really showed through in the They Live fight scene turned POW execution, and the cook some eggs or I'll fuck your cousin episode.

The producers checked all the boxes. Quippy Hispanic? Check. Dumb redneck? Check. Rugged sergeant with hidden concern for his guys? Check, check, check, etc., etc. It makes me wonder why they wasted those old guys' time.

Do cliches exist for a reason? Sure. But they're oft referred to as tired cliches for a reason. I don't know, maybe over the years I was more prone to notice the exceptions than the rules -I sure never heard Marines refer to each other as Devil Dog unless they were being sarcastic or facetious - but for me anyways, the formula made for a lousy movie experience. There were parts of the film that were intense or surprising, but at the end I was left feeling like I'd just watched a compilation of fifty years worth of war movies crammed onto one reel.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The consults really showed through in the They Live fight scene turned POW execution, and the cook some eggs or I'll fuck your cousin episode.

The producers checked all the boxes. Quippy Hispanic? Check. Dumb redneck? Check. Rugged sergeant with hidden concern for his guys? Check, check, check, etc., etc. It makes me wonder why they wasted those old guys' time.

Do cliches exist for a reason? Sure. But they're oft referred to as tired cliches for a reason. I don't know, maybe over the years I was more prone to notice the exceptions than the rules -I sure never heard Marines refer to each other as Devil Dog unless they were being sarcastic or facetious - but for me anyways, the formula made for a lousy movie experience. There were parts of the film that were intense or surprising, but at the end I was left feeling like I'd just watched a compilation of fifty years worth of war movies crammed onto one reel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found it enlightening; I never knew you could fit that many cliches in a Sherman tank.

The cliches were deliberate, so the character development away from the cliches would be more poignant.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Maybe I'll give it a try, just to see if his story isn't smothered by all the other crap in there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as they had him speak German the way he did, I knew I was in for a different movie. I was not disappointed. By the time the breakfast scene came around, I knew I was watching art. The rest of the crew coming in wasn't to contrast Pitt's character from them, as much as to Remind Pitt of exactly how himself had been just a few days' prior.

Maybe I'll give it a try, just to see if his story isn't smothered by all the other crap in there.

Pay closer attention to Pitt's character - even the way he uses his utensils.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The cliches were deliberate, so the character development away from the cliches would be more poignant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a track full of hookers with hearts of gold. Or maybe just I'm being too critical.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, but there probably was one or two that would have though.
I would have taken my people to the tree line in a hurry.
I mean, at that point in the war I don't think that anyone was under the illusion of the allies not winning the war.
I believe that Hitler too by this point had already seen what time of day it was himself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ending was pure Hollywood. Any competent soldier would not have done what they did.

Yeah, but there probably was one or two that would have though.
I would have taken my people to the tree line in a hurry.
I mean, at that point in the war I don't think that anyone was under the illusion of the allies not winning the war.
I believe that Hitler too by this point had already seen what time of day it was himself.

IIRC, there was some guy who, if you believe the citation, was running around with a .50, no tripod or anything, fucking German shit up. Off to look it up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't remember any raping.

The part remember most was Pit trying to get the young guy to kill the German. Did they really do things like that?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know most here liked it, but I think it sucked more than the Thin Red Line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nahhhhh.  Fury was WAY better than TRL.

For one thing, it didn't have Sean Penn in it.

Quoted:

In the real world, that Tiger would have stayed hull down and killed all four Shermans, Fury first, since it was the uparmored and upgunned one out of the four, rather than coming out of defilade and doing some bizarre-o world charge across the field towards them, allowing the faster Sherman to get behind for a mobility kill.
The German tank commander, by his decorations, was an experienced veteran and would not have done what they did in the movie.

So no, it was not an awesome scene, it was even more bullshit than the end of the movie.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What kind of got me about the movie in retrospect though, is that when the kid saw the SS battalion coming, there were several or even more Nazi troopers toting Panzer fausts. (spelled right?)
Anyway, I think that their tank and the crew would have been nailed and baled within just a matter of a couple of minutes of the initial fire fight beginning.
You know, like credits rolling pretty damn quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't there some scripture somewhere that says "thou shalt not take on the SS in a disabled Sherman"?

What kind of got me about the movie in retrospect though, is that when the kid saw the SS battalion coming, there were several or even more Nazi troopers toting Panzer fausts. (spelled right?)
Anyway, I think that their tank and the crew would have been nailed and baled within just a matter of a couple of minutes of the initial fire fight beginning.
You know, like credits rolling pretty damn quick.

Or, you know, don't wait until the krauts are literally climbing up on the tank and pulling open hatches, then open the fight with small arms. Pop out and cut loose with all three 1919s, Ma Deuce, and the main gun while they're still all stacked up on the road marching 3 or4 abreast for however far back a battalion covers. Driver behind the turret on the .50 (since with the tank immobile, he's out of a job and doesn't have anything else except small arms), TC on the turret .30, Gunner and loader working main and coax, and the radio guy working the bow .30. Ma starts from the rear and works front, the two hand machineguns start front and work rear, main and coax service targets of opportunity. Four machineguns and a 75mm cannon against a column of dismounts in enfilade could do a metric fuck ton of damage in a few seconds.

Start with your highest casualty producing weapon systems and scroll down from there. Plus we're talking ball ammo, so you may well be nailing a couple of guys per round all formed up like that.

Another thing that annoys me about the movie: The .30's are shown using both cloth belts and disintegrating links. While I'm perfectly aware that they did, in fact, use both, once the tank is broke dick and you've decided to slug it out from a static position, why in the name of everything holy wouldn't you pull every single round of ammo, all the food, water, etc. you have. into the turret/ hull. Why wouldn't you start policing up all the disintegrating links from the shit you shot earlier in the day and build a big motherfucking belt. Especially with the Browning links, it's pretty easy to do.

Then took it pretty far too, with the whole, "acting platoon leader tells me to do something and I tell him to go fuck himself", as someone else noted. Followed by, "let's take a vote".

Seriously at least 80% of that movie was hollywood bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah...that stuff never happens when countries invade other countries.

Hell, it never happens even without war.

Rape and/or sex by authority is a figment of peoples imagination
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...that stuff never happens when countries invade other countries.

Hell, it never happens even without war.

Rape and/or sex by authority is a figment of peoples imagination

IDK, the Russians supposedly did a whole lot of it on the march to Berlin. I quite obviously have no documentation to back it up, but knowing them, it really wouldn't surprise me. Could just as well be Cold-War propaganda.

As far as the scene with the German women. That came off to me as more of a quid pro quo than anything else. You take care of us with pie, we'll hook you up with stuff you can barter to get by.

Once the rest of the crew shows up, it's solid cliche time. The driver is "I'm drunk and where's mine?", Bible is, "I'm drunk but righteous", and the loader/ walking dead guy is just the cliche army dude who's good at his job but a drunk asshole in his off time. I think it was partly designed to highlight the difference between the brutality of Pitt forcing Norman to shoot the German prisoner and the humanity he shows trying to smooth things over after walking dead guy shows up, gropes, and then slobbers over the food of cute blonde girl.

I ain't no film critic, but the whole thing felt completely contrived and unnecessarily awkward, but they were trying to point. I think I get what they were pawing at, but meh.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I heard that Stalin told his army to pay them back and pay them back good for what the Germans did at Stalingrad.
There were some Polish units involved in Russia too they say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was not in WWII but I cannot imagine American soldiers acting in such a barbaric way. As in the scene with the German woman. I'm sure worse thing happened, especially from Russian troops but not US.

My grand parents told us stories of how German vs. Russian soldiers acted on the Eastern front...Germans being polite and professional handing out candy while Russians being drunk and wanting to rape and steal everything drinking from the toilet and machine gunning an alarm clock because it was ringing (grand parents are Hungarian). My favorite story is of a German soldier in my Grandmother's garden shooting dozens of Russians who were on horseback (Cossacks?). Until he had one round left and blew his own head off instead of being captured.

I have also read stories of disabled tank crews holding out for DAYS against determined infantry attacks on the Eastern Front.

An acquaintance was a Professor at a local university, he was from Poland and was there as a child during WW2, he talked about how cruel the Germans were, and when the Russians came in it was 10 times worse, somehow his father got the family out of the country and to the USA.  He never had anything good to say about Russia.

I heard that Stalin told his army to pay them back and pay them back good for what the Germans did at Stalingrad.
There were some Polish units involved in Russia too they say.

Are you talking about Katyn, or something else?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Except for that 5'4 guy that stood on the back of of a burning tank destroyer and did that..
View Quote

Not to take away from what he did, because it really was amazing, but if I remember right the Germans were not specifically assaulting the tank destroyer but were attempting to assault past him and into the wood line where the rest of his troops were. I was under the impression that the smoke from the burning tank destroy obscured him while he directed friendly artillery to beat the advancing German troops and tanks back and using his .50 to take out those who did pay him attention.

It has been awhile for me though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the only thing I thought was possible.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IDK, the Russians supposedly did a whole lot of it on the march to Berlin. I quite obviously have no documentation to back it up, but knowing them, it really wouldn't surprise me. Could just as well be Cold-War propaganda.

As far as the scene with the German women. That came off to me as more of a quid pro quo than anything else. You take care of us with pie, we'll hook you up with stuff you can barter to get by.

Once the rest of the crew shows up, it's solid cliche time. The driver is "I'm drunk and where's mine?", Bible is, "I'm drunk but righteous", and the loader/ walking dead guy is just the cliche army dude who's good at his job but a drunk asshole in his off time. I think it was partly designed to highlight the difference between the brutality of Pitt forcing Norman to shoot the German prisoner and the humanity he shows trying to smooth things over after walking dead guy shows up, gropes, and then slobbers over the food of cute blonde girl.

I ain't no film critic, but the whole thing felt completely contrived and unnecessarily awkward, but they were trying to point. I think I get what they were pawing at, but meh.
View Quote

The dinner scene is the pivotal point in the movie.  It's all about the relationship between Pitt's character and his crew.

Recall Pitt gave the eggs and some other items to the women before the younger two were voluntold for some alone time.  Also recall, there was no forcing of what happened once they were alone.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, you've just described every platoon ever.

Hell the only thing they missed was having a token black guy, but it is a WW2 movie, not modern.

"I sure never heard Marines refer to each other as Devil Dog unless they were being sarcastic or facetious"   No shit, because it's such a cliche thing to do... but Marines still do it ALL THE TIME.   That really cements my point, as it's only one example of many.

" They Live fight scene turned POW execution,"

When was the last WW2 movie that showed the US executing POW's?  It's a thing that happened in real life, in some cases units had standing orders to not take prisoners and to specifically shoot SS and paratroopers on site. They tied that in to manning the typist up. So what?

As far as them banging out the chicks, that shit happened too, if not outright rape. In fact, a lot happened.

The movie was definitely made for people who can wrap their head around a war movie that actually shows...  facets of war.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

NOTHING, NOTHING!!! sux more than the Thin Red Line!!!  Nothing was worse, nothing is worse, nothing will ever be worse than that festering waste of film!

Fury was silly but as stated above, well filmed, visually stunning, etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a movie, not a documentary.

I liked it.

Most of arfcom says it wasn't like how they remembered WWII when they were the commander of a tank.

Except the WWll tank guys who consulted on the movie thought otherwise.

It was a great movie and I'd bet that just about everything that was portrayed in the movie actually happened. The vet consultants, in fact, said it did. Except, it didn't all happen to one tank crew in a one week span and some of the stuff happened only rarely.

It's how movies get made. The war in Europe took a year, literally tens of thousands of tanks took part. Many, many, incredible, hair raising, fantastic, unbelievable feats were witnessed and accomplished as well as some not so proud moments. You try to put as much of that into one movie and it seems a little far fetched but it tells a story no less true than a mini series like BoB that was hours and hours long.

Yeah, and he literally got half his ass shot off doing it...........that guy had trouble walking, not because of his missing ass but because of his enormous brass ones.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hell the only thing they missed was having a token black guy, but it is a WW2 movie, not modern.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It mentions in the cut out scenes that Wardaddy is from Oklahoma and joined the Army before the war started due to being at fault in a DUI wreck that killed his little brother. Plenty of 2nd Generation German immigrants in Texas and OK.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"I sure never heard Marines refer to each other as Devil Dog unless they were being sarcastic or facetious"   No shit, because it's such a cliche thing to do... but Marines still do it ALL THE TIME.   That really cements my point, as it's only one example of many.

When was the last WW2 movie that showed the US executing POW's?  It's a thing that happened in real life, in some cases units had standing orders to not take prisoners and to specifically shoot SS and paratroopers on site. They tied that in to manning the typist up. So what?

As far as them banging out the chicks, that shit happened too, if not outright rape. In fact, a lot happened.

The movie was definitely made for people who can wrap their head around a war movie that actually shows...  facets of war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we're arguing about two sides of the same coin.

Of course those guys as highlighted exist. And some of them are nothing more. And some actually are more than stock characters. For me anyways, I find the latter make for more interesting movie characters.

I got no issue with a movie depicting a prisoner execution. My gripe was with the scene itself feeling forced and contrived - hence the reference to Rowdy Roddy Piper's epic performance. Same with the German girls.

I've spent the majority of the last decade in one war or another, I have no illusions about those realities. But that doesn't really have anything to do with my feeling the movie had lazy scripting and acting.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:15:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It mentions in the cut out scenes that Wardaddy is from Oklahoma and joined the Army before the war started due to being at fault in a DUI wreck that killed his little brother. Plenty of 2nd Generation German immigrants in Texas and OK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad they cut that scene - allows for more subtle character exposition.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:41:05 AM EDT
[#42]
fact: Germans were issued blasters from the star wars universe instead of rifles.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:50:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can't think of any war film that stunk more than The Thin Red Line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't think of any war film that stunk more than The Thin Red Line.

This. Fuck Sean Penn
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.
Tx, Ok and Ks might as well been Germany 2.0 at that point in time. there were towns in the 50's that still spoke German as a first language.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:... It was only slightly better than the Twilight Zone episode with the tank crew that gets sent back in time to the battle of the Little Big Horn ....

no that was much better.

LOL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ROTnCjw1ci8/UpvZxPrqAMI/AAAAAAAAEFM/cQOb500U7i4/s1600/Tank+Trio.png

WHOA! Whats with the magazine on that carbine?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:... It was only slightly better than the Twilight Zone episode with the tank crew that gets sent back in time to the battle of the Little Big Horn ....

no that was much better.

LOL

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ROTnCjw1ci8/UpvZxPrqAMI/AAAAAAAAEFM/cQOb500U7i4/s1600/Tank+Trio.png

What about it? Looks like a GI 30rd to me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Meh, I watched it for the armor.  Can't afford to go to Bovington. The rest I used as "grababeer" time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In the real world, that Tiger would have stayed hull down and killed all four Shermans, Fury first, since it was the uparmored and upgunned one out of the four, rather than coming out of defilade and doing some bizarre-o world charge across the field towards them, allowing the faster Sherman to get behind for a mobility kill.
The German tank commander, by his decorations, was an experienced veteran and would not have done what they did in the movie.

So no, it was not an awesome scene, it was even more bullshit than the end of the movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Read some books about armored warfare in WW2 against Tigers.  The best tactic the allies had was a mass charge to get behind it.  If they tried to lay back, they were killed.  The fear of the Tiger was a powerful force, because the Tiger was the most badass tank out there, except for its maneuverabilty.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
snip

What about it? Looks like a GI 30rd to me.
View Quote

Dunno, must just be the angle, but it looks a lot longer front to back than I remember a .30 carbine mag. I first looked at it, it almost looked like a AR mag hanging out of it. Which is retarded because I don't even think those existed at the time that EP was shot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Read some books about armored warfare in WW2 against Tigers.  The best tactic the allies had was a mass charge to get behind it.  If they tried to lay back, they were killed.  The fear of the Tiger was a powerful force, because the Tiger was the most badass tank out there, except for its maneuverabilty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think what he's saying that by coming out and getting into a maneuver fight, the Tiger is giving up it's best assets. Namely, that sweet frontal armor and the standoff of that badass gun.

You guys are basically saying the same thing.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top