Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
After watching the footage of the Kent State shootings, Bobby Jay, then seventeen, signed up for the National Guard so that he, too, could shoot college students.

ETA: Bobby Jay owns page 3.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ok, I might be missing something.  It's been a really long time since I've heard this topic discussed.  I'll go do some more research.  I withdraw my previous statement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bunch of dudes with M14's smoked a bunch of hippies........one day I'll be outraged.

#1, Carbines, #2, IIRC nobody that was hit was actually a part of the group hassling the NG guys..in fact one of the victims was an ROTC cadet walking to class well AWAY from the protest

Ok, I might be missing something.  It's been a really long time since I've heard this topic discussed.  I'll go do some more research.  I withdraw my previous statement.

Garands and 45s - not carbines.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After watching the footage of the Kent State shootings, Bobby Jay, then seventeen, signed up for the National Guard so that he, too, could shoot college students.

View Quote

Not with an edit he doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, Bobby Jay, no.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

IIRC, Nixon started the Kent State "shit" with the invasion of Cambodia.  Kent State was a small part of a shitshow that didn't end until Reagan was elected.  

View Quote

If Cambodia cannot or will not prevent a hostile party form using its territory to move supplies and launch attacks, then Cambodia has lost the right to NOt be invaded.

Plus didn't Nixon have the consent of Cambodia to go in?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There were folks in that "Protest" that probably needed to get shot..(Professional Agitators, and almost certainly Soviet plants).those werent the ones who got hit though.  Reality was the NG had pretty much zero training in how to deal with Protests/Riots.  They were in over their heads, WAY outside their ability curve, and someone panicked, causing others to open up as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bunch of dudes with M14's smoked a bunch of hippies........one day I'll be outraged.

#1, Carbines, #2, IIRC nobody that was hit was actually a part of the group hassling the NG guys..in fact one of the victims was an ROTC cadet walking to class well AWAY from the protest

There were folks in that "Protest" that probably needed to get shot..(Professional Agitators, and almost certainly Soviet plants).those werent the ones who got hit though.  Reality was the NG had pretty much zero training in how to deal with Protests/Riots.  They were in over their heads, WAY outside their ability curve, and someone panicked, causing others to open up as well.

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"One rumor" doesn't cut it as an acceptable excuse when random Americans are shot and killed right here in America by their own government.

Neither does "as the story goes".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One rumor puts a sniper on the roof of Prentice and opened fired. With the sound of that gunshot, the NG opened fire. There is a hole in the metal structure in front of Taylor the size of a dime, which as the story goes, is from one of the gunshots.

"One rumor" doesn't cut it as an acceptable excuse when random Americans are shot and killed right here in America by their own government.

The bullet hole in the sculpture is still there, sunshine.  Guess what?  It didn't come from the Guard - it goes the other way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yet, innocent people died.

Or were they just casualties of "war"?

Maybe the NGs rifles had 12 lb triggers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only on arfcom will you hear people defend the government for shooting protestors.

#freespeechexceptforhippies

You guys sicketate me.

When those "protestors" are burning down buildings, looting stores, attacking the firemen trying to put out the buildings they set on fire, chopping fire hoses with axes, and attacking people, they need to be shot.

Your ignorance sicketates me.

How well do you shoot in a gas mask?

Innocent people got shot - no doubt.  The ones looting, rioting and burning are to blame.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Throw rocks at soldiers in 1770: Heroic martyrs of liberty.
Throw rocks at soldiers in 1970: Hippie fucks! Git some! Git some!
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Innocent people got shot - no doubt.  The ones looting, rioting and burning are to blame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only on arfcom will you hear people defend the government for shooting protestors.

You guys sicketate me.

When those "protestors" are burning down buildings, looting stores, attacking the firemen trying to put out the buildings they set on fire, chopping fire hoses with axes, and attacking people, they need to be shot.

A bunch of poorly trained soldiers with rifles, shooting with masks on..in a crowded area with innocent people around.

And no one was held responsible.

Outstanding.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those killings are bizarrely supported here in GD
View Quote

I had an uncle who was there that day. He was a guardsman.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A bunch of poorly trained soldiers with rifles, shooting with masks on..in a crowded area with innocent people around.

Outstanding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys sicketate me.

Outstanding.

It's certainly a bizarre mindset indeed, but one that's "useful" to those who would establish the sort of government that can perpetrate a Kent State shooting, a Ruby Ridge and a Waco....... and nobody in a position of authority is in any way to blame for the deaths of Americans at their hands.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Or so the rumor goes; you're the one who carried  that rumor to us here.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fTh0xyZ1FRQ/TPgkeYg4CNI/AAAAAAAAGh8/UX16esrn4_I/s1600/rockwell_gossip.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One rumor puts a sniper on the roof of Prentice and opened fired. With the sound of that gunshot, the NG opened fire. There is a hole in the metal structure in front of Taylor the size of a dime, which as the story goes, is from one of the gunshots.

Take it up with the university. That's one of the scenarios they tell (or used to) tell incoming students during freshmen week.

Or so the rumor goes; you're the one who carried  that rumor to us here.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fTh0xyZ1FRQ/TPgkeYg4CNI/AAAAAAAAGh8/UX16esrn4_I/s1600/rockwell_gossip.jpg

Feel free to pass it along
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's certainly a bizarre mindset indeed, but one that's "useful" to those who would establish the sort of government that can perpetrate a Kent State shooting, a Ruby Ridge and a Waco....... and nobody in a position of authority is in any way to blame for the deaths of Americans at their hands.

View Quote

Kent State: rioters burning down buildings.

Ruby Ridge and Waco: people in their homes.

Big difference.

I'm not defending the target selection at Kent State, because it was a cluster.

however, had they been able to discriminate and hit the legit rioters, I'd have been all for it.

And would be in every like situation.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bill Schroder, the ROTC student mortally wounded while walking to class 130 yards away from the Guardsmen, he was a hippy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Schroder, the ROTC student mortally wounded while walking to class 130 yards away from the Guardsmen, he was a hippy?

Jane,  those of us old enough to remember the VN war protests on campuses (and maybe witnessed a few) cannot explain to most of the young'uns on here what the situation was like.

I was in school at the end of the VN era protests.  I remember walking to class and seeing  some protesters clamoring about some sort of injustice they thought was occurring.  I didn't care.  I was too busy getting an education to waste time on that extra-curricular activity, and my major was almost part of the "military-industrial complex" anyhow (engineering).

But if the NG had been on my campus in the right spot, and had unfortunately discharged M1's in the right direction, someone such as myself, may dozens, perhaps 100+ yards, from the melee could have sucked down a 150gr. ball bullet.  We would have been innocent students, caught in the crossfire between those trying to keep the peace, and those agitating, sometimes violently.  Would our deaths be justified?

Any one who says "yes", I REALLY want to hear a cogent explanation.

For those of you who were not there at that time, it's hard to explain how parties who had NO involvement one way or the other could get impacted by the shenanigans going on.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The bullet hole in the sculpture is still there, sunshine.  Guess what?  It didn't come from the Guard - it goes the other way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the fuck out of here with your Evidence and shit.......
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I think Nick Saban was at Kent State that day, as a student.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Outstanding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys sicketate me.

Outstanding.

Maybe if the Kent PD and State police did their job then the Nat'l Guard shooters, state employees, would have faced justice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding.

VooDoo3dfx is only arguing this as a defense mechanism, to try to show case the hypocrisy of criticism in LEO brutality threads compared to military. He does this in any possible thread involving military war crimes, hoping he can prove that the military doesn't police our own.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Jane,  those of us old enough to remember the VN war protests on campuses (and maybe witnessed a few) cannot explain to most of the young'uns on here what the situation was like.

I was in school at the end of the VN era protests.  I remember walking to class and seeing  some protesters clamoring about some sort of injustice they thought was occurring.  I didn't care.  I was too busy getting an education to waste time on that extra-curricular activity, and my major was almost part of the "military-industrial complex" anyhow (engineering).

But if the NG had been on my campus in the right spot, and had unfortunately discharged M1's in the right direction, someone such as myself, may dozens, perhaps 100+ yards, from the melee could have sucked down a 150gr. ball bullet.  We would have been innocent students, caught in the crossfire between those trying to keep the peace, and those agitating, sometimes violently.  Would our deaths be justified?

For those of you who were not there at that time, it's hard to explain how parties who had NO involvement one way or the other could get impacted by the shenanigans going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to shoot people, it's pretty important to shoot the right people.  If you can't do that, it's best not to shoot people at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Maybe if the Kent PD and State police did their job then the Nat'l Guard shooters, state employees, would have faced justice.
View Quote

One doesn't excuse the other.

Nice try.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

VooDoo3dfx is only arguing this as a defense mechanism, to try to show case the hypocrisy of criticism in LEO brutality threads compared to military. He does this in any possible thread involving military war crimes, hoping he can prove that the military doesn't police our own.
View Quote

Lulz.

I don't need to prove what even some military members here have said.

Nice try.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try.

Look up how the National Guard functions. It was the governor and state AG, as well as state police and town PD, who had control over that company of Ohio Nat'l Guard. All of them could have insisted on a trial. They were the ones who failed to try those soldiers and their commander for murder.

Go troll another thread.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Look up how the National Guard functions. It was the governor and state AG, as well as state police and town PD, who had control over that company of Ohio Nat'l Guard. All of them could have insisted on a trial. They were the ones who failed to try those soldiers and their commander for murder.

Go troll another thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try.

Go troll another thread.

Eight of the guardsmen were indicted by a grand jury. The guardsmen claimed to have fired in self-defense, a claim that was generally accepted by the criminal justice system. In 1974 U.S. District Judge Frank Battisti dismissed charges against all eight on the basis that the prosecution's case was too weak to warrant a trial.

You should know your history.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The hippies were definitely communist agitators in the wrong, the national guard definitely fucked up bad.  It's history, and as the OP said it should be one of many instant responses to ban-gun nonsense.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try.

Go troll another thread.

Eight of the guardsmen were indicted by a grand jury. The guardsmen claimed to have fired in self-defense, a claim that was generally accepted by the criminal justice system. In 1974 U.S. District Judge Frank Battisti dismissed charges against all eight on the basis that the prosecution's case was too weak to warrant a trial.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lulz.

Nice try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lulz.

Nice try.

And others didn't. Still better odds than an arfcom police brutality thread.

Keep up the good fight, I'm sure your gotcha methods will make people love arfcom LEO more.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try.

Go troll another thread.

No trial, not enough evidence. Whose job is it too collect evidence? Mailmen? Accountants? Teachers? Police? Yep, pretty sure the latter. So the cops failed, they walked. Nice job police.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No trial, not enough evidence. Whose job is it too collect evidence? Mailmen? Accountants? Teachers? Police? Yep, pretty sure the latter. So the cops failed, they walked. Nice job police.
View Quote

Grand jury obviously disagreed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grand juries only matter in cases that confirm his bias.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whose job was it to collect evidence for the grand jury?

A. Police detective
B. Car mechanic
C. Infantry battalion commander
D. School teacher

Your boys in blue fucked up, allowing boys in green to walk. So why you so angry? Take it up with Ohio State Police, that dropped the ball.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, every other thread with a cop being cleared by a GJ its justice but being charged as a travesty.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A. Police detective
B. Car mechanic
D. School teacher

Your boys in blue fucked up, allowing boys in green to walk. So why you so angry? Take it up with Ohio State Police, that dropped the ball.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A. Police detective
B. Car mechanic
D. School teacher

Uh...Grand jury indicted. They said there was enough evidence.  One lonely judge decided, not a trial where it should have gone.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Disgusting isn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgusting isn't it?

I don't get it either
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Uh...Grand jury indicted. They said there was enough evidence.  One lonely judge decided, not a trial where it should have gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A. Police detective
B. Car mechanic
D. School teacher

he should just change his avatar to a Baby Harp Seal at this point
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Stop letting facts get in the way of emotions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The hippies were throwing rocks, molotovs and tear gas grenades back at the NG, they also set fire to a few buildings. Rumor has it the NG was fired on first. Bottom line is don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

The facts include only two of those killed were involved in the protests, the average distance was 106 meters, and one of the victims was an Army ROTC cadet shot in the back.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You guys sicketate me.
View Quote

Sorry, I forgot that arson, trashing buildings and throwing rocks and molotovs were protected by the first amendment.

I had a brother who was a student at Kent when this happened.  My mothers opinion based on what she knew was they should have shot more.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
On one hand you have the students who were not peacefully protesting. The days before they had rioted in Kent itself after the bars were all closed (which is why the governor called the ARNG). They had professional agitators, including SDS, among their ranks. They burned down there ROTC building and then pelted police and firemen with rocks when they tried to put it out of and contain it. And during the incident that caused the shooting some of them were pulling bricks off a wall and throwing them at the national guardsmen.

The Nat Guard were clown shoes. In a time when people used the ARNG o avoid service in Vietnam, it was filled with poorly trained misfits. For the previous weeks before going to Kent State, they had been handling a pretty stressful union strike, so back to back riots. Two days before the Kent State riots they had marched through the rioter's camp and bayoneted some chick. On the day of the shooting they marched info the wrong area, trapping themselves against a fence and when some of them felt threatened one shot which sent a chain reaction of sympathetic firing, 27 soldiers fired altogethet. Most don't appear to have aimed considering a good number of the casualties were not even among the rioters, including a ROTC student. Piss poor shooting, they mostly hit the wrong people.

All around it was a total clusterfuck. But the American public actually supported the shooting, seeing it as law and order. I saw a news clip of one of the parents of a dead student and their response was something like "good, they deserved it." The only reason the incident is taught today is because the hippy leftist SDS agitators ended up taking over our education system.
View Quote

There were probably people there that needed shooting, unfortunately it doesn't look like they hit very many of those. For more it really boils down to poorly trained people thrust into a volatile, stressful, and confusing situation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sorry, I forgot that arson, trashing buildings and throwing rocks and molotovs were protected by the first amendment.

I had a brother who was a student at Kent when this happened.  My mothers opinion based on what she knew was they should have shot more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys sicketate me.

Unfortunately NONE of the ones actually doing that are the ones who got Shot.... As i posted earlier, there were folks there who ABSOLUTELY Deserved to be shot IMO...but instead you had a platoon of Woefully untrained and Inexperienced Cyril Fuggus's
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He hadn't graduated yet. He was a full time student there interning for us during the summer.

I didn't think it was even possible, but there ya go. He was a big time Brony, too. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but it might be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you believe we had an intern working for us that was a student at Kent State, and had no idea this shooting occurred? It came up when we were listening to CSNY - Ohio (a song he had never heard before either).

Definitely a WTF moment for me, at the time. We seriously had to direct him to Wikipedia, because he was completely oblivious to this event.

Did you ever see his diploma?

He hadn't graduated yet. He was a full time student there interning for us during the summer.

I didn't think it was even possible, but there ya go. He was a big time Brony, too. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but it might be.

You guys hired a brony? LoL

That must have been a hoot
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Probably the same sniper from behind the grassy knoll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the same sniper from behind the grassy knoll.

Same article I linked on page 1:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/04/new-light-shed-on-kent-state-killings/?page=all

A female freshman provided the FBI with a sworn statement that “there was no shot before [the guardsmen’s] volley, and there were no warning shots fired.” The Justice Department’s internal review cited statements by six guardsmen who “pointedly” told the FBI that their lives were not in danger and that “it was not a shooting situation.”

Yet the declassified FBI files show the FBI already had developed credible evidence suggesting that there was indeed a sniper and that one or more shots may have been fired at the guardsmen first.

Rumors of a sniper had circulated for at least a day before the fatal confrontation, the documents show. And a memorandum sent to FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover on May 19, 1970, referred to bullet holes found in a tree and a statue — evidence, the report stated, that “indicated that at least two shots had been fired at the National Guard.”

Another interviewee told agents that a guardsman had spoken of “a confirmed report of a sniper.”

It also turned out that the FBI had its own informant and agent-provocateur roaming the crowd, a part-time Kent State student named Terry Norman, who had a camera. Mr. Norman also was armed with a snub-nosed revolver that FBI ballistics tests, first declassified in 1977, concluded had indeed been discharged on that day.

Then there was the testimony of an ROTC cadet whose identity remains unknown, one of the pervasive redactions concealing the names of all the FBI agents who conducted the interviews and of all those whom they interrogated. Although presumably angry over the demonstrators’ destruction of the campus ROTC building, the cadet’s calm, precise firsthand account nonetheless carries a credibility not easily dismissed.

Before the fatal volley, the ROTC cadet told the FBI, he “heard one round, a pause, two rounds, and then the M-1s opened up.”

The report continued that the cadet “stated that the first three rounds were definitely not M-1s. He said they could possibly have been a .45 caliber. … [He] further stated that he heard confirmed reports of sniper fire coming in over both the National Guard radio and the state police radio.”

The cadet also told the FBI he observed demonstrators carrying baseball bats, golf clubs and improvised weapons, including pieces of steel wire cut into footlong sections, along with radios and other electronic devices “used to monitor the police and Guard wavelengths.”

Separately, a female student told the FBI she “recalled hearing what she thought was [the sound of] firecrackers and then a few seconds later [she] heard noise that to her sounded like a machine gun going off, but then later thought it may have been a volley of shots from the Guard.”

First, let's have a time line.

April 1968: Students for a Democratic Society occupy the administration buildings at Columbia University in New York City along with members of Columbia's Student Afro Society. The mix of stupid white kids and stupid black kids almost turns into a race riot.

August 1968 Democrat nomination convention in Chicago with accompanying riots. SDS was one of the main organizers. Aside from that HBO movie that tried to make Abbie Hoffmann and Tom Hayden look brainy, the kiddies held a nice riot and the Chicago Police probably had as much to do with that as the people from SDS. (Hoffman was a blithering idiot. I had to photograph him for the student newspaper at William Paterson, so I listened to as much of his lecture as I could tolerate before I had to go drink. Hoffman couldn't speak in complete sentences.) Bobby Seale of the Black Panthers was also included in that group, another peaceful protest organization...

This led to:

Autumn, 1968: People like Mark Rudd, Bernardine Dohrn, Bill Ayers, and Ted Gold split from SDS because SDS wasn't violent enough. Rudd and Gold were organizers of the Columbia occupation.

July, 1969: The Weathermen go to Cuba to meet with the North Vietnamese. Presumably they did not discuss representative democracy and the sanctity of property rights because:

Autumn 1969: Mark Rudd, Ted Gold, and whatever other Weathermen go back to Columbia University where they go to parties, wait until their former fellow students are half drunk and asleep, and rip them off for cash, check books, and the occasional credit card. See Cathy Willkerson's book, How to fund the revolution when you can't ask your extremely wealthy mommy to buy some bombs for you.

October, 1969: The Weathermen organize the Days Of Rage, which was essentially a riot in Chicago to protest the trials of the 1968 riot organizers.

March, 1970: The Wilkerson family's Greenwich Village townhouse explodes after the Weathermen turn it into a bomb factory, which bombs were intended to be concentrated dynamite studded with roofing nails and detonated at the student libraries at Columbia. The townhouse also had piles of SDS literature.

May 1, 1970:

Kent State University protesters protest peacefully at the fire they started in Kent. You can almost hear them chanting, "This fire we set has got to go, hey, hey, ho, ho."

May 2, 1970:

Peaceful protesters peacefully set fire to the ROTC building at Kent State. Ohio Governor Jim Rhodes declares martial law at Kent. It is not reported whether Governor Rhodes prefaced his announcement with, "You hippy assholes have to go, hey, hey, ho, ho."

May 3, 1970: Tear gas fired at the students at 9:00 AM and 11:00 AM.

May 4, 1970: shooting.

We like to preach situational awareness, so let's focus on that. I see three primary reasons for students to involve themselves with the protests. First, they wanted to stop the war, whether because they opposed war or they were afraid of the draft. Second, they wanted to get laid. Campus protests are a great way to meet members of the opposite sex who don't spend their time studying the Bible. Third, and this is the smallest group, they're hard core, violent assholes who like to steal and set things on fire.

Your situational awareness should tell to get away from there as fast as you can after the fires and martial law and tear gas. Most of the people belonged to the first and second groups, but if they ignored the fires, the tear gas, and the governor's declaration of martial law two days before the shooting. I can't help them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not supported, but understood as the tragic consequence of throwing armed troops untrained in riot tactics into a riot.

Kind of like the Boston Massacre.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Especially a full-time student at the damn university.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you believe we had an intern working for us that was a student at Kent State, and had no idea this shooting occurred? It came up when we were listening to CSNY - Ohio (a song he had never heard before either).

Definitely a WTF moment for me, at the time. We seriously had to direct him to Wikipedia, because he was completely oblivious to this event.

It seems so odd to me that an adult wouldn't know at least an overview of the event and the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkg-bzTHeAk

Especially a full-time student at the damn university.

I teach at a college; you would be amazed at the amount of history students today are unaware of.

The other day I had to give a brief overview of the Apollo 13 mission because only a couple of students had ever heard of it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

History fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

History fail.

Yyyeeeehawww grab my beer god damn fucking hippies lets kill em!
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In arguements for second amendment rights pictures of the nazis assassinating citizens frequently are used.  While justifiably so and  very powerful,  perhaps reminding liberals of the Kent state shooting might be another angle they haven't seen or forgotten about, something that happened on a college campus (one of their safe zones)  and clearly shows what an armed government will do to suppress a populace.
View Quote

They don't, and won't, care.   They're convinced that they're not going to be the ones on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They don't, and won't, care.   They're convinced that they're not going to be the ones on the receiving end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In arguements for second amendment rights pictures of the nazis assassinating citizens frequently are used.  While justifiably so and  very powerful,  perhaps reminding liberals of the Kent state shooting might be another angle they haven't seen or forgotten about, something that happened on a college campus (one of their safe zones)  and clearly shows what an armed government will do to suppress a populace.

If you can't see the difference between Nazi Germany and 2,000 students who were ordered to go away after they set fires on two nights and threw rocks and bottles at the cops, you have a confusion.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think Rhodes actually did declare martial law. I believe he told the the press he was going to declare a state of emergency but never did.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

They had M1s and at least one of those killed wasn't even involved.

At least learn some history before you post.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The hippies were throwing rocks, molotovs and tear gas grenades back at the NG, they also set fire to a few buildings. Rumor has it the NG was fired on first. Bottom line is don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

Molotov cocktails?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top