Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Doing extensive studies into this subject throughout college, including interviewing eye witnesses, I determined that nobody knows what caused the shooting, even witnesses

So it may have been justified.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In arguements for second amendment rights pictures of the nazis assassinating citizens frequently are used.  While justifiably so and  very powerful,  perhaps reminding liberals of the Kent state shooting might be another angle they haven't seen or forgotten about, something that happened on a college campus (one of their safe zones)  and clearly shows what an armed government will do to suppress a populace.

Doing extensive studies into this subject throughout college, including interviewing eye witnesses, I determined that nobody knows what caused the shooting, even witnesses

So it may have been justified.

They may have been justified to defend themselves, but they were poorly equipped both mentally and physically to do so in an appropriate manner. Ultimately, people who had NOTHING to do with the protests were killed.

We've learned a lot about protest and riot management since then.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I heard the NG just recently returned from Vietnam.

True or false?
View Quote
False, but wouldn't be surprised if there were some troops who had done a tour.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

#1, Carbines, #2, IIRC nobody that was hit was actually a part of the group hassling the NG guys..in fact one of the victims was an ROTC cadet walking to class well AWAY from the protest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bunch of dudes with M14's smoked a bunch of hippies........one day I'll be outraged.

#1, Carbines, #2, IIRC nobody that was hit was actually a part of the group hassling the NG guys..in fact one of the victims was an ROTC cadet walking to class well AWAY from the protest

Ok, I might be missing something.  It's been a really long time since I've heard this topic discussed.  I'll go do some more research.  I withdraw my previous statement.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Would you believe we had an intern working for us that was a student at Kent State, and had no idea this shooting occurred? It came up when we were listening to CSNY - Ohio (a song he had never heard before either).

Definitely a WTF moment for me, at the time. We seriously had to direct him to Wikipedia, because he was completely oblivious to this event.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It's the equivalent of we think you committed a crime, so we'll grenade your house so we don't get hurt doing our jobs. Good bit of due process there right?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Only on arfcom will you hear people defend the government for shooting protestors.

#freespeechexceptforhippies

You guys sicketate me.
View Quote

Hippies don't get to burn down buildings.

Game on, shoot on sight, under those circumstances would be my preference.

That said, you have to have troops trained above Keystone cops standards, which the Guard of that era was not.  If they would have shot protestors and not random students because they didn't take into consideration secondary zones, I would have no problem with it.

My only beef is shooting the wrong people.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's the equivalent of we think you committed a crime, so we'll grenade your house so we don't get hurt doing our jobs. Good bit of due process there right?
View Quote

Just because you say it's the equivalent doesn't make it so.

It's actually pretty far from being the circumstance you use in your analogy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No fuck's given.

Those protest types (kent, Ferguson, LA) would gladly destroy every aspect of normal life in a hissy fit of rage because they will never fit into society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom doesn't believe in free speech, free assembly, or protest when it's executed by those they disagree with, sorry OP.

No fuck's given.

Those protest types (kent, Ferguson, LA) would gladly destroy every aspect of normal life in a hissy fit of rage because they will never fit into society.

We do not fit into society now...
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think a better example of 'the government is not to be trusted' is to look at the Tuskegee Study where poor blacks were given burial insurance and 'free medical care' but actually were allowed to have syphilis and go untreated to see how long it would take for them to die.  This went on all the way into the 1970s.  Or the secret and forced sterilization of poor women and Native American women, which also went on into the 1970s.  

If a government will say they are going to do a routine medical check and instead sterilize a woman, not just once but possibly 10,000 times, you really want to trust them to be the only ones with guns?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In arguements for second amendment rights pictures of the nazis assassinating citizens frequently are used.  While justifiably so and  very powerful,  perhaps reminding liberals of the Kent state shooting might be another angle they haven't seen or forgotten about, something that happened on a college campus (one of their safe zones)  and clearly shows what an armed government will do to suppress a populace.
I think a better example of 'the government is not to be trusted' is to look at the Tuskegee Study where poor blacks were given burial insurance and 'free medical care' but actually were allowed to have syphilis and go untreated to see how long it would take for them to die.  This went on all the way into the 1970s.  Or the secret and forced sterilization of poor women and Native American women, which also went on into the 1970s.  

If a government will say they are going to do a routine medical check and instead sterilize a woman, not just once but possibly 10,000 times, you really want to trust them to be the only ones with guns?

Interestingly enough, there are people here who support eugenics as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"Don't start no shit, won't be no shit"?

What an asinine assertion to support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hippies were throwing rocks, molotovs and tear gas grenades back at the NG, they also set fire to a few buildings. Rumor has it the NG was fired on first. Bottom line is don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

This.

Another problem was that the NG of this era wasn't very well trained, either.

IIRC, Nixon started the Kent State "shit" with the invasion of Cambodia.  Kent State was a small part of a shitshow that didn't end until Reagan was elected.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok, I might be missing something.  It's been a really long time since I've heard this topic discussed.  I'll go do some more research.  I withdraw my previous statement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bunch of dudes with M14's smoked a bunch of hippies........one day I'll be outraged.

There were folks in that "Protest" that probably needed to get shot..(Professional Agitators, and almost certainly Soviet plants).those werent the ones who got hit though.  Reality was the NG had pretty much zero training in how to deal with Protests/Riots.  They were in over their heads, WAY outside their ability curve, and someone panicked, causing others to open up as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even close
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hippies were throwing rocks, molotovs and tear gas grenades back at the NG, they also set fire to a few buildings. Rumor has it the NG was fired on first. Bottom line is don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

This.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

History fail.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom doesn't believe in free speech, free assembly, or protest when it's executed by those they disagree with, sorry OP.

No fuck's given.

Everyone wants liberty for themselves.  They fantasize that government can be limited to infringing on the other guys liberty.  

...if only their "team" gains control of the government.

Then they are shocked when government is used against them.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Only on arfcom will you hear people defend the government for shooting protestors.

You guys sicketate me.
View Quote

There is a fine line between protest and riot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Everyone wants liberty for themselves.  They fantasize that government can be limited to infringing on the other guys liberty.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fuck's given.

Benjamin Franklin's quote about certainty of death and taxes was missing one more thing: Hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Would you believe we had an intern working for us that was a student at Kent State, and had no idea this shooting occurred? It came up when we were listening to CSNY - Ohio (a song he had never heard before either).

Definitely a WTF moment for me, at the time. We seriously had to direct him to Wikipedia, because he was completely oblivious to this event.
View Quote

It seems so odd to me that an adult wouldn't know at least an overview of the event and the song.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep, just like the support in British circles for the Bloody Sunday massacre of 13 unarmed protestors in N Ireland
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those killings are bizarrely supported here in GD

Disgusting isn't it?

Yep, just like the support in British circles for the Bloody Sunday massacre of 13 unarmed protestors in N Ireland

No one should fall for the 'unarmed protestor' bit anymore.  Plenty of evil can come out of agitators without firearms.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh90rbx30T1qz4axuo1_500.png

I've heard a rumor that Fuck Troy is hiring.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It seems so odd to me that an adult wouldn't know at least an overview of the event and the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkg-bzTHeAk

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkg-bzTHeAk

Especially a full-time student at the damn university.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bill Schroder, the ROTC student mortally wounded while walking to class 130 yards away from the Guardsmen, he was a hippy?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you ever see his diploma?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He hadn't graduated yet. He was a full time student there interning for us during the summer.

I didn't think it was even possible, but there ya go. He was a big time Brony, too. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but it might be.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Imagine that....now if the BLM started to heed this advice we would be gtg......
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He hadn't graduated yet. He was a full time student there interning for us during the summer.

I didn't think it was even possible, but there ya go. He was a big time Brony, too. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but it might be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...it's the rainbows and Moonbeams.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#30]

One rumor puts a sniper on the roof of Prentice and opened fired. With the sound of that gunshot, the NG opened fire. There is a hole in the metal structure in front of Taylor the size of a dime, which as the story goes, is from one of the gunshots.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I was just there last week visiting a friend who is a freshman this year.  We took half the afternoon walking around and retracing the whole event as it happened.  It was fascinating to be there in person.  Got lots of pics if anyone wants me to post them later.

The students that died were not that far away from the NG soldiers.  I stood right where the soldiers were during the shooting looking down on the parking lot and it isn't that far.  Peep site on a Garand-Easy stuff.  Shot Miller through the cheek and blew his brains out.

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

People love freedom...

Till they disagree with that freedom.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

One rumor puts a sniper on the roof of Prentice and opened fired. With the sound of that gunshot, the NG opened fire. There is a hole in the metal structure in front of Taylor the size of a dime, which as the story goes, is from one of the gunshots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Probably the same sniper from behind the grassy knoll.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Feds come up with that?

View Quote

There was an unaccounted bullet hole that didn't  have a trajectory that matched the NG. The protestor also claimed they had someone with a rifle pulling overwatch
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

What shit did the ROTC cadet going to class start?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#36]
A group of Motorcycle Enthusiasts, there to party with college girls....
Yeah,.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#37]
What happened at Kent State wasn't right.  Plain and simple.  You should see some of the documentary footage of government officials speaking after the shootings.  A fine job of vilifying the students and BS designed to justify the killings.  When the rights of an unpopular group of citizens can be violated we're all in danger.   Look at the media and politicians using every tragedy involving guns to further their agenda and influence popular opinion.  If enough people believe a lie they can act without the consequence of losing their jobs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"One rumor" doesn't cut it as an acceptable excuse when random Americans are shot and killed right here in America by their own government.

Neither does "as the story goes".
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Kent State was just the culmination of riots, bombings etc. that had been going on for what seemed like for ever. That type of stuff started with the civil rights movement, the anti-war people picked up on the protest part of it and it got increasingly violent. One of the worst was the DNC convention in Chicago. Throw in Patty Hearst and the SLA shootout and everybody was sick ANY demonstrations.  The only one I liked was when the "hard hats" went on a rampage punching a bunch of draft dodging cowards in NY City.  Not knowing any details (I had just got out of the Army and was painting my Dad's fence) when I heard the news flash that the NG finally starting shooting these assholes I cheered.

edit to add  .....and throw in the shootings of JFK, MLK and Bobby Kennedy to the decade of crap.......
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"One rumor" doesn't cut it as an acceptable excuse when random Americans are shot and killed right here in America by their own government.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take it up with the university. That's one of the scenarios they tell (or used to) tell incoming students during freshmen week.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Take it up with the university. That's one of the scenarios they tell (or used to) tell incoming students during freshmen week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or so the rumor goes; you're the one who carried  that rumor to us here.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

No.

There is evidence for it, including a bullet hole in a metal sculpture.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the media to acknowledge that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No fuck's given.

Yup

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You guys sicketate me.
View Quote

When those "protestors" are burning down buildings, looting stores, attacking the firemen trying to put out the buildings they set on fire, chopping fire hoses with axes, and attacking people, they need to be shot.

Your ignorance sicketates me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When those "protestors" are burning down buildings, looting stores, attacking the firemen trying to put out the buildings they set on fire, chopping fire hoses with axes, and attacking people, they need to be shot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys sicketate me.

Yet, innocent people died.

Or were they just casualties of "war"?

Maybe the NGs rifles had 12 lb triggers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell me, what do they do in Jolly Olde England to people burning down buildings and attacking the firemen trying to put them out?  What do they do to people chunking bricks at policemen and soldiers?

How did Bloody Sunday go over there across the pond?  Based on the incredible restraint the King's men displayed on that occasion, I don't really see where you have damned-all to say about Kent State.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Rumor has it that you have several unregistered machine guns in your home.

Door kicking time?

I remember the events at Kent State as they were unfolding and two things still stand out....piss poor training and a lack of regard for human life.

Fuck hippies everywhere; but they weren't shooting at the national guard troops.

What happened was inexcusable in a democratic republic that values life.

People defend the government violence at Ruby Ridge and Waco as well.

Welcome to that club.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop letting facts get in the way of emotions.

Door kicking time?

I remember the events at Kent State as they were unfolding and two things still stand out....piss poor training and a lack of regard for human life.

Fuck hippies everywhere; but they weren't shooting at the national guard troops.

Welcome to that club.

Welcome to the apples to oranges club.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop letting facts get in the way of emotions.

Door kicking time?

Welcome to that club.

Bullshit.

I've heard that Fuck Troy is hiring; at least that's the rumor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In arguements for second amendment rights pictures of the nazis assassinating citizens frequently are used.  While justifiably so and  very powerful...
View Quote

The Nazi references only serve to paint gun folks as apocalyptic fringe nutters. They are powerful in setting back the cause of gun rights.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yup  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fuck's given.

Yup  

Yup.

Stalin called them useful idiots.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top