Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2015 6:35:56 PM EDT
They always fly in 5-10 minutes before legal light, I've managed to get one before, but it required sitting very still and holding my breath for about 3 minutes, then getting her right off the water.

It seems as soon as legal light time starts there isn't a single one left flying around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know.  I go snipe hunting a lot and have never even seen one!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep your face down, and stay very still. Fast swing, shoot as you pass the head and strong follow through to stretch the patten as much as possible.

Ringnecks are the hardest for me to hit though, little things are fast!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They always fly in 5-10 minutes before legal light, I've managed to get one before, but it required sitting very still and holding my breath for about 3 minutes, then getting her right off the water.

It seems as soon as legal light time starts there isn't a single one left flying around.
View Quote

Come out here. Tons of them. We take a rake to get all of the teal out of our decoys in the morning. Just pile them up somewhere out of the way. We only shoot them to get them out of the damn way. Always flying around us trying to land in the spread.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot 'em in the face.

Easy.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Just have to be where they want to be to keep them coming in past legal shooting time. Shooting teal is my favorite. Some people prefer big ducks, but if teal are flying I'm happy. Much more skill involved hitting those little fast fuckers. Do some scouting and find a teal hole. Around here, they like super small water. Also for what it's worth, Teal migrate early due to their size. We have an early teal season in Texas that is already over. There may not be much of a population left this time of year. Cause I see them moving every morning on my way home from work.

One of my favorite teal holes is a pond that is about 150 feet in diameter, but lots of bullrush and great cane. I throw about 6-7 decoys. The cane is all up high around this pond, so just sit in the cane and wait. They breeze in quick and fast. So much fun.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not shooting them that's my problem.

It's getting them to come in after it's legal to shoot them.

Where the hell do they disappear too as soon as you can start blasting away?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Keep your face down, and stay very still. Fast swing, shoot as you pass the head and strong follow through to stretch the patten as much as possible.

View Quote
You shoot ringnecks?

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Just have to find them. But being in NY and time of year, there may not be many left. They're already down here in sizable populations. I don't hunt early eal as the gators, mosquitos and heat are too bad. But everyone I know who does routinely shot limits during early Teal this year.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just have to find them. But being in NY and time of year, there may not be many left. They're already down here in sizable populations. I don't hunt early eal as the gators, mosquitos and heat are too bad. But everyone I know who does routinely shot limits during early Teal this year.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's probably on point. It's early season in my zone right now.

I saw probably 150 high flying mallards and woodies today, saw about 8 teal buzz by 9 minutes before shooting time. I could have swung on all of them too...little early rising jerks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

To places where they aren't being shot at? They might not move around much after daylight where you are at. Try a different hunting spot. Ask around to see where is a good spot to hunt Teal.

You call much? Teal are pretty easy to get to come in. Just hail with a loud ass call at the sky from time to time. Call as if they are coming in even if you don't see them. Fun to call in ducks you can't even see. They just appear out of no where bombing into the spread.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You shoot ringnecks?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

It's not my favorite duck to eat, I find they are hit and miss as far as taste. But if I'm not having a good day and a pair flies through, it's better than scratching.

Blue wing teal and pintail and greys are the ones I like best.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To places where they aren't being shot at? They might not move around much after daylight where you are at. Try a different hunting spot. Ask around to see where is a good spot to hunt Teal.

You call much? Teal are pretty easy to get to come in. Just hail with a loud ass call at the sky from time to time. Call as if they are coming in even if you don't see them. Fun to call in ducks you can't even see. They just appear out of no where bombing into the spread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be the problem, I stay quiet unless I see mallards up high, then I hail them. This time of year I am after woodies though, so I go light on decoys and keep my ass hidden.

They usually come in right on a string.

Are you saying to throw mallard hails randomly? Will they come into female mallard decoys?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#13]
This. Get a teal whistle and a mallard hen call. They respond to mallard hail calls really well, especially early in the season. Don't be afraid to tweet on the whistle and throw in some mallard drake "dreets" throw too. But don't over call. You can go nuts and do as much harm than good when calling. The best caller knows when not to call.

Also if they fly in low and fast but just buzz the decoys. Sometimes a strong but not overly loud quack from a mallard hen call will turn them. Ducks are social creatures. They don't like being alone until late in the season when paired up for mating.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not my favorite duck to eat, I find they are hit and miss as far as taste. But if I'm not having a good day and a pair flies through, it's better than scratching.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

Wood ducks are my favorite, that teal I got was good, but it wasn't a woodie for sure.

I really like mallard, mostly because they are usually huge and two people can split one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wood ducks are my favorite, that teal I got was good, but it wasn't a woodie for sure.

I really like mallard, mostly because they are usually huge and two people can split one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

Shot three woodies today with my SBS.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

Yuck. I'm pretty open on ducks but Ringneck, scaup and so on are my cut off. Hell I'll even shoot and breast spoonie!

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I never had a problem. Back when I used to hunt every season, they would swarm.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

I've killed my share of then, having Duck hunted most of my life.
But I won't eat Teal. Give them away.
I think they taste like SHIT!
And I love eating Wild Duck!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yuck. I'm pretty open on ducks but Ringneck, scaup and so on are my cut off. Hell I'll even shoot and breast spoonie!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

Yep.

Bluebills and blackheads do go well in a duck gumbo, though.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That might be the problem, I stay quiet unless I see mallards up high, then I hail them. This time of year I am after woodies though, so I go light on decoys and keep my ass hidden.

Are you saying to throw mallard hails randomly? Will they come into female mallard decoys?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Yes.

Mallard hail does great. I don't carry a teal call. The more I duck hunt, the more I think the spread makes more of a difference than the actual decoy type itself (does not apply to geese). Error on the side of fewer deeks. Unless we are talking about movement. Then bring all of the batteries and everything that buzzes, kicks, and spins (where legal).
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

The order:
Black duck
Ruddy duck
Teal
Mallard
Wood duck

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The order:

Black duck

Ruddy duck

Teal

Mallard

Wood duck

View Quote
Really?  Never had Ruddy Duck but Wood Duck is my favorite of the other four.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The order:
Black duck
Ruddy duck
Teal
Mallard
Wood duck

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

The order:
Black duck
Ruddy duck
Teal
Mallard
Wood duck

To me black and mallard tastes about the same.

I've never had a Ruddy though.

I did shoot a Gadsen last year, that one was pretty good I would rank it like this.

Woodie
Black/Mallard
Teal
Gadsen
Merganser (we cut one open once to see what it was like....I couldn't even stomach the smell....we didn't dare take it in the house to cook it.)
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Merganser (we cut one open once to see what it was like....I couldn't even stomach the smell....we didn't dare take it in the house to cook it.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Smells like a week old mackerel in a portajohn.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#26]
lol ruddy duck... as bad as a coot.  and this is coming from an OG Coonass.

Sitdownandhangon, I thing you mean Gadwall, not Gasden.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shut your whore mouth, ruddy duck is damn good eatin'.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha..right.

Gadsen ducks probably have interesting color patterns.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Teal fucking LOVE mojos. Put a mojo out and you will have to shoot them out of self defense.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love coots, especially the huge gizzards. The lower leg sections are a bitch to eat with all the bones though. Make a stew or cook em down in a gravy in cast iron and they are pretty decent. Gotta skin em though.
I've had plenty of mallards that tasted like they have been binge eating fish, so they aren't my first choice anymore. I've yet to eat a bad gadwall/grey, and the blue wings are pretty consistently good to eat where I hunt. Green wings I have had a few fishy ones, and I flat out refuse to even pull the trigger on a scaup/dos gris, ruddy, or a merganser. Spoon bills, well depends on where I am hunting, they can be edible.

To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen more than a handful of woodies passing through an open marsh. I'd love to try one someday though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I love coots, especially the huge gizzards. The lower leg sections are a bitch to eat with all the bones though. Make a stew or cook em down in a gravy in cast iron and they are pretty decent. Gotta skin em though.
I've had plenty of mallards that tasted like they have been binge eating fish, so they aren't my first choice anymore. I've yet to eat a bad gadwall/grey, and the blue wings are pretty consistently good to eat where I hunt. Green wings I have had a few fishy ones, and I flat out refuse to even pull the trigger on a scaup/dos gris, ruddy, or a merganser. Spoon bills, well depends on where I am hunting, they can be edible.

To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen more than a handful of woodies passing through an open marsh. I'd love to try one someday though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what is so awesome about the area I hunt, the woodies breed there.

I saw probably 50 or more today, the little bastards were on a mission though, and it didn't involve stopping by to see me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Teal fucking LOVE mojos. Put a mojo out and you will have to shoot them out of self defense.
View Quote
Yeah they do.

We use gadwall mojos and holy fuck. Gadwall and others don't give a fuck. But, teal. Yeah the teal love them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah they do.    

We use gadwall mojos and holy fuck. Gadwall and others don't give a fuck. But, teal. Yeah the teal love them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah they do.    

Teal, bull, and Gadwall all really like robo or any movement.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Nasty fish duck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#35]
The taste has to do with what they have been eating.  I love woodies, teal, gadwalls, mallard.  I have also shot many ring necks off of river sloughs and they tasted good.  I guess those of you who had bad ringers, must have gotten some that had been eating bad.

I will say that most divers don't taste real good compared to puddle ducks. Scaup and buffle heads don't taste good any way I have tried cooking them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I shoot the hell out of them.

they are my favorite waterfowl to hunt and shoot.

I don't wear a watch.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I use to get my bag every day when I was a kid, even with a 20 gauge.  Being young and having catlike reflexes I guess? LOL

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't know.  I go snipe hunting a lot and have never even seen one!
View Quote

You know, the hilarious part of snipe hunting as a joke is that they're a very real game bird. People who send their buddies snipe hunting as a joke would probably shit their pants if the victim came back with a bird or two.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

I like shooting buffleheads. Only ever gotten 3(in 15+years), all 3 are on my wall. They come in on a full powerdive, hot the water and immediately go under, then come up for air  on the other side of the pond.

ETA-I want a pintail and canvasback for the wall too, but for eating I like mallards, bluewings and woodies.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#40]
It was super foggy this morning, so they flew a little later than usual.

Two buzzed me right after legal light so I took the hail mary shot.....and missed.

Then I saw one with a group of mallards later, flapping like hell to keep up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#41]
J
Quoted:

I like shooting buffleheads. Only ever gotten 3(in 15+years), all 3 are on my wall. They come in on a full powerdive, hot the water and immediately go under, then come up for air  on the other side of the pond.

ETA-I want a pintail and canvasback for the wall too, but for eating I like mallards, bluewings and woodies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shoot ringnecks?  

One lifetime goal of my dad was to shoot a drake bufflehead and have it mounted. He passed last year, so that's one duck that's now on my list for him. They aren't very common at all down here. But, there is a beautiful canvasback and pintail hanging that he shot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

One lifetime goal of my dad was to shoot a drake bufflehead and have it mounted. He passed last year, so that's one duck that's now on my list for him. They aren't very common at all down here. But, there is a beautiful canvasback and pintail hanging that he shot.
View Quote

Not a good pic of them due to crappy light in the room where they're hanging and they need dusting but here's the type of mount I did.
" />
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not a good pic of them due to crappy light in the room where they're hanging and they need dusting but here's the type of mount I did.
http://<a href=http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32/R-Shack/ducks6_zpsfhxkrnyn.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32/R-Shack/ducks6_zpsfhxkrnyn.jpg</a>" />

That is awesome!

Here's a bunch of the mounts that my dad had done over the years. My favorite is the flock of teal, it really looks like they are alive when you look at them up close in person.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is awesome!

Here's a bunch of the mounts that my dad had done over the years. My favorite is the flock of teal, it really looks like they are alive when you look at them up close in person.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/B3893E29-B2CD-4A58-854B-5B0C5E917331-5622-00000E0B547E8F88_zpsxbp78lhv.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/B3893E29-B2CD-4A58-854B-5B0C5E917331-5622-00000E0B547E8F88_zpsxbp78lhv.jpg

Nice Taxi work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I killed my first one a few weekends ago. I was pretty psyched.

Technically I got a twofer, because I shot a Mojo decoy at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#46]
All this talk about eating ducks and no one mentions how tasty canvasback is supposed to be?

I say supposed to be, because I've yet to taste one

But the market hunters back in the day used to ship thousands of them to the big city restaurants.

Waterfowl Hunting is Best Hunting!!  From puddle ducks to Eiders, and everything in between, I love em all!!  Still lots of species I need, though.

As far as teal go:  I hit a hen green wing teal on a seriously lucky Hail Mary shot once...we had all fired our three rounds, I reloaded one as fast as I could, and hit it at about 60 yards, one single pellet to the head.  Everyone was scoffing when I fired, and we were all shocked when it crumpled; me more than anyone.  Maybe not the most ethical shot, but if it had been wounded we had a really excellent chance of retrieving it, big, shallow pond and a fast boat and great dog.

Anyway, will post some pics when I can...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#47]
I used to hunt green wings in Florida.  I gave up on it.  Why you ask?  Because every time I shot one of the little speedy fuckers a gator would snatch it up before I could get to it.  Then I remembered that I was waist deep in the same water.  Fuck hunting in storm water treatment areas.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I used to hunt green wings in Florida.  I gave up on it.  Why you ask?  Because every time I shot one of the little speedy fuckers a gator would snatch it up before I could get to it.  Then I remembered that I was waist deep in the same water.  Fuck hunting in storm water treatment areas.

View Quote

See...it's shit like that that makes hunting when it's below zero out worth it.

Did you get cold today...yup....did any alligators or venomous reptiles attack you....nope......today was a good day.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did you get cold today...yup....did any alligators or venomous reptiles attack you....nope......today was a good day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joke. Screw dropping nibblie bits of bird right in front of you to get the lizards fired up. That's like freaking chumming.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nice Taxi work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome!

Nice Taxi work.

Thanks. The buffleheads were done by a guy who I don't use anymore-partly because of distance and partly because the last mount I took to him(drake woodie) I got the idea he wanted to get out of taxidermy to take over his dad's farm. Got a guy now who's more local and I'm still happy with his work. Had a hen woodie mounted by him in a position matching my drake, but everything opposite. One foot pulled into feathers, opposite sides, heads turned opposite sides, opposite sides of each bird used for primary show side. Also have a hooded merganser done by him. Not very tasty birds but they make a pretty mount.

Smokiexd45-that's quite a collection. Very few bother with taxidermy on teal in my area, colored-out drakes are harder to find than pintails and canvasbacks. I'll try to get a good shot of the woodies tomorrow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top