Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2015 8:48:11 AM EDT
China starts flying at Mach 5

In September 2015, Professor Wang received an award from the Chinese Society for Aeronautics and Astronautics (CSAA) for the successful development of China's first scramjet engine over the past decade. In fact, Professor Wang took the top billing at the 2nd China Aeronautical Science and Technology Conference (CASTC2015) Feng Ru Aviaion Science & Technology Elite Awards (Feng Ru was an early 20th century Chinese aviation pioneer). CSAA took pains to mention that the kerosene-powered scramjet engine has successfully conducted flight tests, which makes China the second nation in the world, after the American X-43 and X-51 test vehicles, to develop a working scramjet engine for sustained atmospheric hypersonic flight.

In spite of longstanding Chinese difficulties in building turbofan engines, scramjet engines are a vastly different and emerging field that China has a opportunity to build a lead in. Along with the successful hypersonic glider vehicle WU-14 tests (which demonstrated Chinese capability in working high strength, thermal resistant aerospace materials), China has the world's largest hypersonic wind tunnel, the JF-12. The JF-12 can produce speeds of up to Mach 9 (NASA"s hypersonic wind tunnel reaches to only Mach 7).

On September 18, 2015, China Aviation News, a respected source on Chinese aerospace developments, posted an article on the successful test flight of a Mach 4+ reusable UAV testbed that used a variable cycle turbo-ramjet engine (the engine uses a turbofan/turbojet at lower speeds, but redirects air to the ramjet at speeds above Mach 2.0). In comparison, the SR-71 only flew at speeds of about Mach 3.2. However, China Aviation News quickly yanked the article in a matter of hours, suggesting that they may have inadvertently (or deliberately as a signal) posted restricted information.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Sooooo they hacked an aero space companies server, stole the blueprints, and now get an award for it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#3]
We should copy it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Why don't they just stick the fan from the Mach 9 wind tunnel on a plane?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

However, it's only R&D at this point.  Also, it probably useful only to guided missile tech and not manned flight or even reusable drone flight; if ram or scramjets were the next frontier, we would have continued our own R&D back in the 60s and 70s.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Leave it to the Chinese....
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]
They gave themselves an award.  That's nice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
We must not allow a wind tunnel gap!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why don't they just stick the fan from the Mach 9 wind tunnel on a plane?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Ho Lee Fuk
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Chinese jet engines...

They're still buying all their jet engines from Russia for a reason...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We should copy it.
View Quote

And then sub-contract out its construction to the Chinese.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#13]
What mechanisms are used to make a mach 9 wind tunnel?

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

However, it's only R&D at this point.  Also, it probably useful only to guided missile tech and not manned flight or even reusable drone flight; if ram or scramjets were the next frontier, we would have continued our own R&D back in the 60s and 70s.

View Quote

Admittedly, I don't know a great deal about the technical issues with pratically harnessing sc/ramjets for propulsion.  But just because a technology is experimented with and dropped in the past doesn't necessarily mean that it's not viable - it may be that there are other hurdles that simply can't be cleared, making the tech 'ahead of its time', much like electric cars or flying wings (or, hopefully, fusion powerplants).
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#14]
we mock and ignore china at our own peril
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Admittedly, I don't know a great deal about the technical issues with pratically harnessing sc/ramjets for propulsion.  But just because a technology is experimented with and dropped in the past doesn't necessarily mean that it's not viable - it may be that there are other hurdles that simply can't be cleared, making the tech 'ahead of its time', much like electric cars or flying wings (or, hopefully, fusion powerplants).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

Mach 3.x was about the limit we could get materials to handle in an aircraft.  The SR-71 was cherry-red hot when it landed, and frequently took hours to cool to the point the pilot could get out of it.  It probably still is the limit, you'll note we haven't built anything faster since.

Missile tech obviously may be different.  If they can get this down to size to fly a missile, they may have something.

Then again, that presumes China can build a jet engine worth a fuck.  Which they haven't managed to do so far.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Certainly has some interesting applications for single stage to orbit and suborbital delivery of all sorts of stuff.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  They are catching up fast.   There have a billion more people than we do, they are smart and coming here to be educated.  Jokes on us.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mach 3.x was about the limit we could get materials to handle in an aircraft.  The SR-71 was cherry-red hot when it landed, and frequently took hours to cool to the point the pilot could get out of it. It probably still is the limit, you'll note we haven't built anything faster since.

Missile tech obviously may be different.  If they can get this down to size to fly a missile, they may have something.

Then again, that presumes China can build a jet engine worth a fuck.  Which they haven't managed to do so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

Mach 3.x was about the limit we could get materials to handle in an aircraft.  The SR-71 was cherry-red hot when it landed, and frequently took hours to cool to the point the pilot could get out of it. It probably still is the limit, you'll note we haven't built anything faster since.

K lol
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yup.  They are catching up fast.   There have a billion more people than we do, they are smart and coming here to be educated.  Jokes on us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they still can't figure out how to feed and pacify their own population. A pity, that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mach 3.x was about the limit we could get materials to handle in an aircraft.  The SR-71 was cherry-red hot when it landed, and frequently took hours to cool to the point the pilot could get out of it.  It probably still is the limit, you'll note we haven't built anything faster since.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

We have come a long way since then.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

View Quote

You're saying we can't have supercharged ejector ramjets?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

In some ways, yes -- but have we really?  Our fastest flying aircraft flies Mach 2.25 (or so they so, who knows what the exact number is).  I suspect it's more a tradeoff -- there's just no reason to build something that flies above Mach 3 because of all the issues that brings.  The X-15 was a cool plane, but how long could it burn its rocket motor, and it had to be carried to altitude to fly at all, because it couldn't take off because of the design tradeoffs that had to be made to get it usable at its max speed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

).

The school I went to had a hypersonic wind tunnel. I think it compressed air in a tank then it blew out a scored metal diaphragm into the wind tunnel. It only provides a brief period of airflow.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

China starts flying at Mach 5

In September 2015, Professor Wang received an award from the Chinese Society for Aeronautics and Astronautics (CSAA) for the successful development of China's first scramjet engine over the past decade.

View Quote
View Quote

Please let his nickname from now on be "high speed".

"Who's that?"

"It's HighSpeed Wang!"

"HighSpeed Wang?"

"HighSpeed Wang!"

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

K lol  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

K lol  

Wish I could find the 1980-ish press release from Lockheed about flying a manned aircraft at over 3,000mph.  Mach 5, 30 to 35 years ago. Wonder what's happened since?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll be shocked if they can actually build a production model.  They still outsource most of their jet engines to be manufactured in Russia.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wish I could find the 1980-ish press release from Lockheed about flying a manned aircraft at over 3,000mph.  Mach 5, 30 to 35 years ago. Wonder what's happened since?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

K lol  

Nothing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Meh, fuck them.

Bring back project Pluto, I think it is time
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In some ways, yes -- but have we really?  Our fastest flying aircraft flies Mach 2.25 (or so they so, who knows what the exact number is).  I suspect it's more a tradeoff -- there's just no reason to build something that flies above Mach 3 because of all the issues that brings.  The X-15 was a cool plane, but how long could it burn its rocket motor, and it had to be carried to altitude to fly at all, because it couldn't take off because of the design tradeoffs that had to be made to get it usable at its max speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

You're confusing the fact that spaced based systems are more economical with the idea that the technology doesn't exist to do it in the atmosphere.

The space shuttle produced a revolution in thermal management that wasn't available to Kelly Johnson.  Carbon materials have produced a revolution in manufacturing and computer based prototyping has changed how project visions are looked at and tested.  The SR-71 was an absolute stroke of genius and innovation that still makes heads spin today, but to think, even for a moment, that it's the pinnacle is myopic.  If we never again see a leap forward in high speed in-atmosphere flight it will be only because space based systems make it unnecessary.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

K lol  

Probably the X-15, but it was a rocket carried to altitude by a B-52 because it couldn't take off.  It was a test platform.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Probably the X-15, but it was a rocket carried to altitude by a B-52 because it couldn't take off.  It was a test platform.
View Quote

It did not breathe air, the ramjet/scramjet does.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And they still can't figure out how to feed and pacify their own population. A pity, that.
View Quote

Recent starvation in China? Mass population uprisings?

The Chinese government is pretty stable from all appearances. Especially considering the financial events of the last year.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

at least they are trying to be more service oriented with their economy than mfg/industrial oriented.

Maybe that can get them up to 2nd world from 3rd world.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Chinese government is pretty stable from all appearances. Especially considering the financial events of the last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The financial events weren't anything really big, A share markets are still up YoY. They are still growing. They are valuing the remembi better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

View Quote

You're right, it's not like we've launched any hypersonic vehicles from a Pegasus in recent years or anything....oh wait.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hong Kong protests? 85% of their military oriented to population control? Mass import of calories to support their population?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
we mach and ignore china at our own peril
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

The Mach 6+ X-15 may disagree with your number, though to be fair it did use an ablative coating.

The tiles used on the shuttle may provide some insights into how deal with the heat.

There have already been hypersonic vehicles launched, most recently from a Pegasus missile
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it was a rocket powered airplane. Wings, stick and rudder.

or are we going to argue that the power plant is the only deciding factor into what is or is not an airplane?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Mach 6+ X-15 may disagree with your number, though to be fair it did use an ablative coating.

The tiles used on the shuttle may provide some insights into how deal with the heat.

There have already been hypersonic vehicles launched, most recently from a Pegasus missile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not say LOL.

It is impressive R&D.

I've already pointed out the X-15, which was a rocket that had to be launched at altitude by a B52. Not really the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

or are we going to argue that the power plant is the only deciding factor into what is or is not an airplane?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See edit.

Irrespective of any other factors, the engine did not breathe air, as do the ramjet/scramjet powerplants.

Call the vehicle anything you wish.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rocket propulsion and mothership launch put it in a completely different class of air vehicle.  Call it what you want, but it's nothing like anything being discussed here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hong Kong protests? 85% of their military oriented to population control? Mass import of calories to support their population?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They certainly have their problems but it would be ridiculous to think they can never overcome them at least enough to pose a very serious threat.

Regardless, their immediate goal isn't really military but rather economic.  They are trying to create their own economic sphere of influence separate from that of the US.  They are already trying to remove the dollar as the medium for oil exchanges.  There are plenty of countries worldwide that would love to deal with them rather than us and not have to deal with things like economic sanctions over human rights violations.  A world bank for dictators would have plenty of takers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I still say rockets dawg.

Imagine the space shuttle with fuel in the payload bay feeding the main engines.

Hear me roar.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I still say rockets dawg.

Imagine the space shuttle with fuel in the payload bay feeding the main engines.

View Quote

I did that in KSP and landed it on the Mun.   "Landed" being a somewhat loose euphemism for strewing a collection of shuttle parts across miles of Munscape.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

See edit.

Irrespective of any other factors, the engine did not breathe air, as do the ramjet/scramjet powerplants.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See edit.

we are building an launching Scramjet powered vehicles. Orbital Sciences is heavily involved.

the X-15 and the Shuttle (as well as other programs) paved the way for developing the hypersonic missiles and possible future aircraft.

there were two trains of thought in this thread, one sticking to the original premise dealing with scramjet / ramjet technology, the other with no aircraft going any faster than the SR-71.

I've have commented on both - with the references to the hypersonic research vehicles that use a scramjet, and with the X-15 that was an aircraft that exceeded mach 6. Two related but different concepts.

The X-15 (and the shuttle) are relevant, because they lay waste to the claim that we don't know how to make an aircraft that can exceed mach 3+. The hypersonic research vehicle lays waste to the claim that we abandoned hypersonic and scramjet/ramjet research in the 60's an 70's.

The X-15 is useful because we gained a lot of insight on how the aerodynamic forces behave. You will notice that the current research vehicles don't look much like the X-15. We actually learned stuff and are actually applying what we know.

We really need to spend a lot more money on this, in my opinion. Speed is better than stealth and currently harder to defeat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think there is truth in this statement......
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top