Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/9/2015 6:16:28 AM EDT
As soon as Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) shocked his fellow Republicans by withdrawing from the race for House speaker, Paul Ryan knew what was coming.

“I will not be a candidate,” the Wisconsin Republican said in a release issued less than 20 minutes after McCarthy’s stunning Thursday announcement, in an immediate bid to cut off any pressure for him to do a job he has repeatedly said he does not want.

But this time, it didn’t take. By mid-afternoon, outgoing speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) had spoken to Ryan at least twice, trying to convince the reluctant congressman that he was the only man who could save House Republicans from their self-created chaos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/under-speaker-pressure-signs-pointing-to-a-reluctant-paul-ryan/2015/10/08/101a296c-6dff-11e5-aa5b-f78a98956699_story.html
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, he is the only guy to propose a workable budget.

Maybe he'll champion that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#2]
FPR.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Whoever is finally chosen, will just follow the party path anyway.

Does the choice even matter?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
All out civil war within the party and if Boehner is picking Paul Ryan for his side, then I want nothing to do with him.

Besides, the House needs true leadership and reluctance doesn't exactly check that box.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maybe protect debt ceiling from the remodelers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if the old-school republicans don't get it or don't want to believe it when it comes to why the conservative base is pissed off at them.

It's pretty simple:  they have the majority in both the house and the senate...so why are they the ones worried about compromising?

Now is (has been for a year) the time to run with the ball, not worry about what the (minority) other side will or will not agree to.

HINT:  the republicans don't need the other side to be in agreement...that's how the system works.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FPR.
View Quote

^^ this.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#8]
In my view this is the last chance the GOP gets from me.  If they elect another establishment guy hand picked by the current leadership, I'm done holding my nose and voting GOP.  Fuck them all!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't know if the old-school republicans don't get it or don't want to believe it when it comes to why the conservative base is pissed off at them.

It's pretty simple:  they have the majority in both the house and the senate...so why are they the ones worried about compromising?

Now is (has been for a year) the time to run with the ball, not worry about what the (minority) other side will or will not agree to.

HINT:  the republicans don't need the other side to be in agreement...that's how the system works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GOPe is nothing but a bunch of surrender monkeys.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]
this is just another case of lucy pulling the football away at the last moment. Face it, we are fucked beyond repair. Neither side want to fit this and in fact is all going according to plan

Quoted:
In my view this is the last chance the GOP gets from me.  If they elect another establishment guy hand picked by the current leadership, I'm done holding my nose and voting GOP.  Fuck them all!!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Is "reluctant" code for "please don't throw me in that briar patch" ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Who is Paul Ryan?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Why is Boner the one nominating his replacement? It should be whoever the people tell their Congressmen to vote for, not someone a limp dick says would be good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]
If Suntan is pushing him then answer should be "no".
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#15]
FUCK Paul Ryan.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I could get behind this:

Issa said he backed House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, who has said he would not run, and that he does not have a second choice. Issa said he would consider jumping in.

"I could potentially be a candidate," he said in a separate interview on MSNBC.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is "reluctant" code for "please don't throw me in that briar patch" ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#18]
The most important issue to the GOPe seems to be amnesty, which is beyond retarded.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I like Allen West for Speaker.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#20]
It will be a thankless job where everyone bitches about what you do.  Representatives should reflect their constituency, and when they do not - they tend to get replaced.  The Republican party swings from democrat (as apposed to left wing liberal democrat), all the way to libertarian.  That is a broad path of different points of view to please.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All out civil war within the party and if Boehner is picking Paul Ryan for his side, then I want nothing to do with him.

Besides, the House needs true leadership and reluctance doesn't exactly check that box.
View Quote

I prefer reluctance in my politicians.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, except for the 50 or so (Freedom Caucus) that are forcing the issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Justin Amash for speaker!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Steal Gowdy's chair.  When he arrives and looks around in confusion point to the Speaker's podium.

Problem solved.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always good to have before a major transformation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hint 2:  What you are seeing here is 2 wings of the same party.  The opposition to some legislation followed by acceptance is just theater for the masses.  The end result is always the same.  Keep the funds flowing into Washington either through taxes or campaign contributions.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Three parts of the republican party, three men to fight for the future.

The establishment, the RINO faction and the leader of those who want "wholesale" changes.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am not an expert on these things, but I think you have to actually be a member of the House, in order to be Speaker of the House.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not an expert on these things, but I think you have to actually be a member of the House, in order to be Speaker of the House.  

Not true according to news reports. Can be an outsider, and several such names have been tossed about, none of which impressed me much.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

^^ this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPR.

^^ this.
visualize 85 moar ^
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He kind of lost his mind for a while after losing in 2012. Dunno.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Anyone who is qualified to be president can be the speaker.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you do not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Actually, you do not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you do not.

yep one of those weird things
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Holy shit.  I didn't know that!  

When's the last time that has actually happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you do not.

ever speaker has been a member of congress
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you do not.

Never.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#41]
The conservative caucus in the House has at best 60 votes.  I'm not entirely sure just what they think they can accomplish when the don't even have a majority of the Republicans.  And Ryan would be a fool to take the job.  Frankly anyone would be a fool.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#42]
They should get Newtie the Punkinhead back, make a new Contract with America, and shake up some shit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Never.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you do not.

Never.

True, but that has been tradition/policy, not law.  We may be charting new territory here.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Great! Wouldn't want to interrupt the rino parade now would we?

Congressional Republicans should all sit down and write a chapter, put them all in a large book entitled "How I Fucked over The USA and became a Traitor at the same time."

The dems. could simply take two book covers with one page inside boldly proclaiming "We are all mentally diseased traitors so FUCK YOU America?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Is Ryan still spooning with Patty Murray?

FTG.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#48]
They're looking for a spineless faggot who won't stand up to the Kenyan.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

FPR.
View Quote

This.  Fucking RINO.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Sam Stein @samsteinhp

Rep. Luis Gutierrez says Paul Ryan would be a good Speaker and work w/ Dems. Then says he probably just hurt Ryan’s chances by saying that.
View Quote

From my perspective, Ryan would be a bad choice. To my knowledge, no one in the House understands budgetary-type issues better than Ryan, and this, along with an apparently stellar personality, is the source of the high esteem in which he correctly is held.

However, when it comes to certain other issues, it’s sometimes difficult to distinguish Ryan from a bleeding-heart liberal. Immigration is an excellent example.

In 2013, Ryan was highly sympathetic to the push for amnesty for illegal immigrants (though he objected to the term). In fact, he appeared at a pro-amnesty rally alongside liberal Democrat Luis Gutierrez, the most strident amnesty monger in the House. In addition, he pitched the alleged economic benefits of amnesty to his House colleagues.
View Quote

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2015/10/will-paul-ryan-be-the-next-speaker-i-hope-not.php
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top